PDA

View Full Version : My funny run in with Novak today

atatu
03-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Took a break from the matches today to do some touristy stuff, when to Indian Canyons and then to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. At the top of the tram I noticed a young blonde woman walk by with two Head Speed frames, which I thought was strange. I was about to say "Wow, you must be a huge Djokovic fan to carry those rackets around everywhere" when suddenly he walks up behind her. He was with two other guys and they were taking a picture so I asked him if he wanted me to take a picture with all four of them together. He said yes, that would be great. Then he took a picture with my two kids, he as very nice and asked if they enjoyed his match with Anderson yesterday. It was pretty funny because I really did not expect to see him on the top of a mountain.

pvaudio
03-13-2012, 09:44 PM
That's because his tennis antics aside, he doesn't take himself too seriously. Nadal could learn a lot in that department.

OddJack
03-13-2012, 09:48 PM
That's because his tennis antics aside, he doesn't take himself too seriously. Nadal could learn a lot in that department.

Nadal is fake.

The-Champ
03-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Nadal is fake.

Don't sugarcoat it OJ, tell us what you really think.

Evan77
03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
why don't you post pics here. it would be fun to see them :)

Towser83
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
really? wow that's really cool :) pleased for you

OddJack
03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Don't sugarcoat it OJ, tell us what you really think.

In respect to his fans, I decline.

winstonplum
03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Only on tennis warehouse boards could a nice little story about Djoker have a Nadal-bashing post two seconds later. Scary.

purge
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
djesus walks the mountains more often than thou think

Tony48
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Wow....that's great. I would have asked him for 5 bucks though :p

namelessone
03-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Only on tennis warehouse boards could a nice little story about Djoker have a Nadal-bashing post two seconds later. Scary.

What did you expect?

Sentinel
03-13-2012, 11:35 PM
It was pretty funny because I really did not expect to see him on the top of a mountain.

He isn't called The King for nothing.

sbengte
03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
It was pretty funny because I really did not expect to see him on the top of a mountain.

We suspected it for a while but here is official confirmation that Novak is over the hill already :(

Fuzzball7
03-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Pic Pic Pic!!!

atatu
03-14-2012, 12:30 AM
I'll have to wait until Friday to post it, took it on my camera and not my phone this time !

PCXL-Fan
03-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Old Head Racquet Advertisement Headline:
Novak Djokovic playing tennis on the wings of an airplane.

New Head Racquet Advertisement Headline:
Novak Djokovic playing tennis on the peak of a mountain.

scotus
03-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Took a break from the matches today to do some touristy stuff, when to Indian Canyons and then to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. At the top of the tram I noticed a young blonde woman walk by with two Head Speed frames, which I thought was strange. I was about to say "Wow, you must be a huge Djokovic fan to carry those rackets around everywhere" when suddenly he walks up behind her. He was with two other guys and they were taking a picture so I asked him if he wanted me to take a picture with all four of them together. He said yes, that would be great. Then he took a picture with my two kids, he as very nice and asked if they enjoyed his match with Anderson yesterday. It was pretty funny because I really did not expect to see him on the top of a mountain.

Well, with the hyperbaric chamber/capsule thousands of miles away in NJ, Novak's only recourse to maintaining the beyond-Nadal fitness is to take to the top of the mountain.

Too bad you missed out on his workout.

Pidgeon
03-14-2012, 02:07 AM
http://i.minus.com/iG2dE.jpg

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Nadal actually mixes with the poorest people in India.

Tennis_Hands
03-14-2012, 03:46 AM

And this is relevant to the thread how?

Paul Murphy
03-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Not surprised. Novak seems like a genuinely nice guy.
I hope he collects many more majors along the way.

bjk
03-14-2012, 04:25 AM

I saw Djok practicing at IW. He had a serious gameface on . . . you don't want to mess with him when he's practicing. There was no Djoking around on the practice court, though Vida seemed to be having a few laughs when they were playing dubs.

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 04:45 AM

This thread is about Nadal. Didn't you notice?

Nadal is fake.

Sentinel
03-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Are you accusing India of having poor people. Racist post !

p.s. we exported our poor people to the U.S.

Evan77
03-14-2012, 06:51 AM
lol, I really don't understand this guy(nadalwon). he can't stop talking about Nadal. some guys here are too silly, don't get it. trolling at it's best. mods should really do something about it.

on the other hand, it would be great to see those pics.

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 07:03 AM
lol, I really don't understand this guy(nadalwon). he can't stop talking about Nadal. some guys here are too silly, don't get it. trolling at it's best. mods should really do something about it.

You'll have to speak to pvaudio about that. That is the post that began everything, when he said "That's because his tennis antics aside, he doesn't take himself too seriously. Nadal could learn a lot in that department."

You expect people to hate on Nadal and not get a response?

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

You'll have to speak to pvaudio about that. That is the post that began everything, when he said "That's because his tennis antics aside, he doesn't take himself too seriously. Nadal could learn a lot in that department."

You expect people to hate on Nadal and not get a response? And my post was actually the 4th post to refer to Nadal. Why hate on me?

wrxinsc
03-14-2012, 07:11 AM

mixes? wat.

Evan77
03-14-2012, 07:22 AM
mixes? wat.
lol, I really don't get this guy. I simply don't understand what he is talking about...and all this 'mixing thing with poor people in India' is beyond me...what mixing? Has Rafa even ever been in India? also how is this 'mixing' relevant to tennis? oh well

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 07:28 AM
mixes? wat.

lol, I really don't get this guy. I simply don't understand what he is talking about...and all this 'mixing thing with poor people in India' is beyond me...what mixing? Has Rafa even ever been in India? also how is this 'mixing' relevant to tennis? oh well

I guess you are just....clueless.

http://images.realitysense.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/1052879976_jcGvJ-M.jpg

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/rafa-in-india-to-promote-tennis-school/698828/
There’s more to Rafael Nadal than just his muscular brand of tennis. The world No.1 Spaniard once again showed the softer side of his personality on a visit to the tennis academy for underprivileged children, set up by the Rafael Nadal Foundation, at Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh.

Rafa, who lost in the Shanghai Masters pre-quarterfinals last week, arrived at the Bangalore airport on Sunday morning and drove to Anantapur. The quick stopover was a hush-hush affair and the champion didn’t even seek security cover from the local police.

“Nadal visited the tennis academy at the Rural Development Trust’s (RDT) sports stadium. He and his family were involved in setting up that academy and I think he came to have a look,” Anantapur district collector Dr B Janardhan Reddy said.

Last month, Rafa’s mother Anna Maria Nadal Parera and his sister Maria Isabel had also made a visit here. The academy has three courts and Anna Maria plans to call it the Nadal Tennis School.

It was the RDT, an NGO set up by Father Vincente Ferrer of Spain, that had attracted the Nadals’ attention.

The tennis ace’s website said: “It is not the first time Rafa travels to India, where he has an academy...His foundation has also worked in the Anantapur Educational Center project, in collaboration with the Vicente Ferrer Foundation.

The aim of this trip is to assist in the transformation of one of the poorest and most needy areas of India, Anantapur, and some of the poorest and most excluded communities in the world, the ‘dalits’ or untouchables, tribal groups, as well as the so-called disadvantaged castes.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/11/47/London-Finals-Wednesday-Diary.aspx
Nadal Honoured

Rafael Nadal was honoured for his charitable efforts in a special, on-court ceremony Wednesday at The O2 as he was presented with the Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award by ATP Executive Chairman and President Adam Helfant.

The Spaniard joins Roger Federer, Carlos Moya, former South African president Nelson Mandela and Arthur Ashe as winners of the award, recognised for his contributions through the Rafa Nadal Foundation.

"This life has given a lot to me, so I have to give something back," said Nadal. "I feel with my Foundation I can help a lot of people. The Foundation is getting bigger and bigger; hopefully we are helping a lot of people today, but hopefully in the future we can have a bigger Foundation. The important part for me always is the kids and the young people who have problems or incapacities, and trying to give them the opportunity to have a normal life and a good life. That is what we are trying to do."

aphex
03-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Probably another scam company set up by the nadal's father and uncles.
Like the glass company in Spain.

spiderman123
03-14-2012, 07:33 AM

http://blogs.as.com/.a/6a00d83451bf7069e20133f5280427970b-800wi

He does some good charity work in India. Would recommend not discussing it here, it would be a shame if people found ways to criticize someone who is helping other human beings.

Back to the encounter with Djokovic.

Crisstti
03-14-2012, 07:47 AM
That is pretty cool :D

Nadal is fake.

That's a pathetic attitude guys. Really.

Hood_Man
03-14-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm looking forward to Friday, it'll be nice to see these pics :D

I've always wondered how I'd react if I ever met one of these guys. I'd probably stutter and stammer something completely unintelligible :oops:

wrxinsc
03-14-2012, 08:42 AM

I've always wondered how I'd react if I ever met one of these guys. I'd probably stutter and stammer something completely unintelligible :oops:

possibly something like.

"thank you for mixing with me."

sureshs
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM

You forgot to mention that you used his/his friend's camera to take the picture and gave the camera back. Though these days I guess you could have used your own camera and transferred it wirelessly at once to his camera but who knows.

sureshs
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
http://blogs.as.com/.a/6a00d83451bf7069e20133f5280427970b-800wi

He does some good charity work in India. Would recommend not discussing it here, it would be a shame if people found ways to criticize someone who is helping other human beings.

Back to the encounter with Djokovic.

I feel sorry for the guy who is trying to be seen behind Rafa's shoulder.

jackson vile
03-14-2012, 08:53 AM
That's because his tennis antics aside, he doesn't take himself too seriously. Federer could learn a lot in that department.

He just can't help himself

Crisstti
03-14-2012, 09:01 AM
I feel sorry for the guy who is trying to be seen behind Rafa's shoulder.

Lol, he didn't choose a good spot :)

Evan77
03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
OK, he does some charity work in India, good for him... but how is this relevant to this topic? Djokovic and Federer do lots of charity work too. so, it's all great but how is this AGAIN all relevant to the thread? I really don't understand.

If you want to talk about charity open another thread. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A GIRL WHO MET NOVAK, AND TOOK SOME PICS MANY OF US WOULD LOVE TO SEE. get it.

Power Player
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
It must be fun to be famous and successful and then judged on a daily basis by internet nerds who have never met you before.

wrxinsc
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
It must be fun to be famous and successful and then judged on a daily basis by internet nerds who have never met you before.
Yes it is.

sureshs
03-14-2012, 10:40 AM

I don't think there are any more poor people in India. Every year I visit their number seems to reduce, or else they have become more sophisticated. Even the few beggars you see now carry a backpack and put stuff in there, and can be seen sneaking away and talking on cell phones when no one is looking. And the day laborer guys who used to look poor now no longer wear their native clothes but work in shorts and listen to music on their phones while working.

I think it was always a case of image. People looked poor because of their shabby clothing, and their income was stated to be 50 cents a day, but with that income they were always eating well and enjoying.

Nadal is the one who will need charity if he keeps losing to Djokovic.

paulorenzo
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM

possibly something like.

"thank you for mixing with me."

this made me laugh.

thank you for mixing with the upper middle-class of the US.

rommil
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll have to wait until Friday to post it, took it on my camera and not my phone this time !

Atatu, it's cool you got to experience that encounter. I say just enjoy it for what it is, I don't think its necessary to post pics, especially if your family is in it too. You just never know where the thread goes, case and point where it is now.

Hope you had a good time at the tournament.

timeisonmyside
03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
I saw Djok practicing at IW. He had a serious gameface on . . . you don't want to mess with him when he's practicing. There was no Djoking around on the practice court, though Vida seemed to be having a few laughs when they were playing dubs.

I saw him practice there too, but didn't get the same impression. He was hitting with Gilles Simon. It was semi-serious; he did bust out some trick shots to play to the crowd.

Overall, in seriousness and intensity, I'd say his practice sessions fit right in the middle between Fed and Nadal.

veritech
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
everyone needs to learn from novak and stop taking things so seriously and have a laugh

Towser83
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Yes, he heals lepers.

CCNM
03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
That is so awesome atatu! I hope your kids appreciated it. :)

ZeroSkid
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
pics or gtfo

VOLLEY KING
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Never mind

MichaelNadal
03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Cool story bro!

FlashFlare11
03-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Come on, guys. I don't know how or why Nadal was even dragged into this, but there's no need to chastise him for doing something good for people less fortunate than him. I'm sure most of us wish we could do the same. I couldn't be happier that he's helping people in India.

Let's not bring our feelings towards the player Nadal and try look at him as a human being.

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
OK, he does some charity work in India, good for him... but how is this relevant to this topic? Djokovic and Federer do lots of charity work too. so, it's all great but how is this AGAIN all relevant to the thread? I really don't understand.

If you want to talk about charity open another thread. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A GIRL WHO MET NOVAK, AND TOOK SOME PICS MANY OF US WOULD LOVE TO SEE. get it.

Actually, Nadal's foundation covers India and Africa.

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Nadal is the one who will need charity if he keeps losing to Djokovic.

Don't you worry about that. Djokovic will never lead the H2H vs Nadal.

rommil
03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Don't you worry about that. Djokovic will never lead the H2H vs Nadal.

Don't you worry about that, Davydenko has that covered.

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Don't you worry about that, Davydenko has that covered.

No player in the history of the ATP has a winning record over Nadal in BOTH h2h and slam h2h.

Meanwhile, Nadal leads Djokovic 16-14 h2h and 5-3 slam h2h.

rommil
03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
No player in the history of the ATP has a winning record over Nadal in BOTH h2h and slam h2h.

Meanwhile, Nadal leads Djokovic 16-14 h2h and 5-3 slam h2h.

Yeah, I am sure right now Rafa feels like he has an edge over Nole.

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Give it 3 days.

rommil
03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Give it 3 days.

I'll give you three years.

Gonzalito17
03-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Nadal is not fake.

Cool story about the tennis king of the hill.

swordtennis
03-14-2012, 06:24 PM
on the top of a mountain.

Thats where Bro's hang out.
And other cool *** places.

Very awesome experience you had today Epic Stuff!

pvaudio
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
LOL Every single one of you talking about me missed the point. Do you not realize that I don't post in this forum? I was just seeing how easy it is to troll, and it was easy as pie. In other words, how do you fall victim to trolls so easily?

psYcon
03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Atatu, very nice! are you going to post it on the tennis blog?

Russeljones
03-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Nadal has done considerably more charity but I don't think this is a competition anyone can win. It's nice that these guys feel they have the social responsibility to do something. You can applaud it and try do a little something yourself. Or you can bicker on an internet forum.

Tennis_Hands
03-15-2012, 01:45 AM
I'll give you three years.

HAHAHA. A Legend, indeed!

tusharlovesrafa
03-15-2012, 02:16 AM

Lol,you have hurt suresh's feeling by writing such a stinging post.."Exportedour poor people to US "..haha

nadalwon2012
03-15-2012, 02:53 AM
HAHAHA. A Legend, indeed!

A legend for 3 days.....

Sentinel
03-15-2012, 04:55 AM

So now you are telling us atatu is a girl.

Cool.

arche3
03-15-2012, 05:02 AM
funny he had his girl carry his rackets around for him.

Sentinel
03-15-2012, 05:06 AM
Probably another scam company set up by the nadal's father and uncles.
Like the glass company in Spain.
Yeah, the income tax department saw through that one quite easily.

kragster
03-15-2012, 05:37 AM
So now you are telling us atatu is a girl.

Cool.

Atatu is neither a girl or a boy but rather an inky picture of a
Dragon one gets on their arm at the parlor.

nadalwon2012
03-15-2012, 05:40 AM
It's cool how Nadal and his mom and his sister all work in India. That family is awesome! His dad has the best reactions in the crowd. They probably go to Africa too, as Nadal's foundation is focused on India AND Africa.

rommil
03-15-2012, 07:59 AM
It's cool how Nadal and his mom and his sister all work in India. That family is awesome! His dad has the best reactions in the crowd. They probably go to Africa too, as Nadal's foundation is focused on India AND Africa.

Rafa should give back and build foundations/ psyche units for his fans.......the Indian and African kids understand.

sureshs
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Lol,you have hurt suresh's feeling by writing such a stinging post.."Exportedour poor people to US "..haha

I am not poor, but I am not rich, let us put it that way. But many taxi drivers and night shift store workers etc here trying to survive after coming from hopeless background. For them just sending children to school and renting an apartment is miles above what they were experiencing before - and on top of that they send money home to relatives! It is relative for each person.

infonoob
03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Nadal is fake.

Yeah, he's totally photoshopped: You can see missing pixels everywhere!

Sentinel
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Atatu is neither a girl or a boy but rather an inky picture of a
Dragon one gets on their arm at the parlor.
I must re-read The Hobbit some day !

TheTruth
03-15-2012, 10:38 PM

That was nice of him. I wouldn't mind getting a picture with Novak.

zapvor
03-15-2012, 10:43 PM

lol so true

Tennis_Hands
03-16-2012, 03:00 AM
A legend for 3 days.....

Do you even understand, what he means?

This post of yours says "No".

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Do you even understand, what he means?

This post of yours says "No".

Don't fret, child. I'll translate for you.

In reply, I said "Give it 3 days."

Why? Because rommil's sarcastic post will be put to the test in 3 days.

Fate Archer
03-16-2012, 03:25 AM

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/747/dividebyzerom.jpg

http://www.yodawgyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/xzibit-yo-dawg-i-heard-you-like-math.jpg

Nathaniel_Near
03-16-2012, 03:28 AM
I remember watching the match live back in 03. Good times.

Tennis_Hands
03-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Don't fret, child. I'll translate for you.

In reply, I said "Give it 3 days."

Why? Because rommil's sarcastic post will be put to the test in 3 days.

No. rommil's post has nothing to do with any tennis match. That is why it cannot be put to the test in three days.

On the other hand, YOUR post does not need to be repeated. It is not at all hard to understand, what you are saying. On the contrary. You are very predictable, so even before you say it people know what your comment/reaction will be.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 04:03 AM
You are only as good as your last match. Whoever wins the most recent match has the edge (if the H2H itself doesn't - Nadal currently leads Djokovic 16-14). Give it 3 days.

Rozroz
03-16-2012, 04:11 AM
http://gifsoup.com/view5/3126596/train-derail-o.gif
enough with this!

origmarm
03-16-2012, 04:14 AM

I think the correct term is "outsourced" :)

atatu that sounds like a real fun experience. Would love to see your pictures if you feel like sharing.

It's a pity your thread got turned into the normal crap surrounding Fed/Djoko/Nadal

atatu
03-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Ok, here's the long awaited picture.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qa7bc4.jpg

Evan77
03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
thank you. a great pic. cute kids :-)

not_federer
03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Djoker takes a lot of hate but I think he's very genuine. he's just very very Serbian which many Americans and Brits may find aggressive and classless.

Question: why did he take his rackets on a hike up a mountain??

atatu
03-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Djoker takes a lot of hate but I think he's very genuine. he's just very very Serbian which many Americans and Brits may find aggressive and classless.

You know, I'm not sure. His friend was taking pics of him hitting some snow balls and some pine cones with them, so they obviously weren't frames that he was going to play his match with. He didn't have a professional photographer with him, just his friends.

dr325i
03-17-2012, 09:51 AM
You know, I'm not sure. His friend was taking pics of him hitting some snow balls and some pine cones with them, so they obviously weren't frames that he was going to play his match with. He didn't have a professional photographer with him, just his friends.

the gut will love that snowball stuff...

dr325i
03-17-2012, 09:53 AM

Interesting thing is that 80% of the rest of the world will take a Serb to have fun with over an American/Brit any time.

Therefore, I don't think Novak should be concerned about the feelings he raises at those ;)

PS: I am a Serbian American (or vice-versa...)

sureshs
03-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Ok, here's the long awaited picture.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qa7bc4.jpg

Can we all agree that there is something evil about Novak's smile - as if he is laughing at the whole world?

not_federer
03-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Interesting thing is that 80% of the rest of the world will take a Serb to have fun with over an American/Brit any time.

Therefore, I don't think Novak should be concerned about the feelings he raises at those ;)

PS: I am a Serbian American (or vice-versa...)

I like Serbs. I spent six months in the Balkans working on a masters in international law and got to know many Serbs, as well as Croats Slovenians Bosnians and the like. I just meant to point out why some westerners might not understand Serbs and their humor/personalities.

dr325i
03-17-2012, 12:10 PM
I like Serbs. I spent six months in the Balkans working on a masters in international law and got to know many Serbs, as well as Croats Slovenians Bosnians and the like. I just meant to point out why some westerners might not understand Serbs and their humor/personalities.

Ironically, I lived in the USA for 20 years and never had any issues.
Last 2+ years I lived in Europe and had tough time with people understanding my humor and sarcasm/character...

CCNM
03-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Great picture!! No offense atatu, but your kid in the green sweatshirt looks a little like Novak did when he was a child! :)

sportsfan1
03-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Reading the OP, I thought there would be a blonde in the picture! jk, cool pic! Did you see anyone else - Fed or Rafa maybe..

Towser83
03-17-2012, 03:38 PM
that's awesome! Great picture, very cool to see

jaggy
03-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I love that tramway, with the altitude you get wrecked so fast.