PDA

View Full Version : Nalbandian anyone?

dmcb101
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Does anyone else on here enjoy watching Nalbandian? I truly love watching his game for the variety that he brings. I think if he was a bit quicker he could easily be top 10. With all of his injuries its a shame that it has set him back. Ill tell you what though...that backhand and drop volley is so sweet to watch!

tennis_pro
03-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I think it's a shame he really started to dedicate himself to tennis so late in his career. He could've easily won big titles if he put 100 % effort.

dmcb101
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I think it's a shame he really started to dedicate himself to tennis so late in his career. He could've easily won big titles if he put 100 % effort.

I am not that aware of his work ethic...I only know what I hear on here (which is not so great I hear). But if that is true then you are correct. Look at Mardy Fish. Made a big push and look where he went. I would so love to see Nalbandian just win a slam, but I know that will never happen. He deserves it though.

OriginalHockeytowner
03-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I really love his game. His backhand is wicked, he covers the court so well when he's fit, but that seemed to be his Achille's heel: maintaining fitness. Watching him squander a 2 sets to love lead on Baghdatis in the 2006 AO was painful, but it cemented me as a Baghdatis bandwagoner. Can't really say that either of them turned out the way I thought they would.

Nalbandian will probably go down in the history books as the only man to beat Roger Federer in a year end championship final, which is better than any Masters Series in my opinion.

SStrikerR
03-13-2012, 07:28 PM
^ That was a crazy match, although if Federer hadn't had injury issues, he probably would've won in 3 or 4 sets. Heck, he almost pulled off the comeback in the 5th, after he had tanked to conserve injury.

But anyway, I like watching him. It's a shame he didn't win more considering his huge amount of talent, but I'll settle for watching him hit backhands all day.

dmcb101
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
That match was nuts. That is the Nalbandian I know...

Mainad
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Nalbandian will probably go down in the history books as the only man to beat Roger Federer in a year end championship final, which is better than any Masters Series in my opinion.

As it happens, in Masters finals he is one of only 6 players to beat Federer and one of only 4 to beat Nadal and was the first player to beat both Federer and Nadal, when they were the two top players, in a final.

TopFH
03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Best backhand of the last decade.

Cormorant
03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Watching him squander a 2 sets to love lead on Baghdatis in the 2006 AO was painful, but it cemented me as a Baghdatis bandwagoner.

I'd forgotten about that, and even though I was favouring Baghdatis that was a golden chance for Nalby to get a slam. Federer had a nervous run to the final, and if ever there was a time for Nalby to beat him in a major final it was then.

tennis_pro
03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Best backhand of the last decade.

http://cowbell.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83423e30253ef0120a632c882970b-400wi

Shaolin
03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
He deserves it though.

I'm a huge Nalbandian fan but he doesn't deserve to win a major. He has insane talent but skates by on it and has never tried to get physically fit. You cant eat hamburgers and donuts all day and go out expecting to win slams on talent alone.

Nostradamus
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
nalbandian beats Tipsarevik and will take on Tsonga. Nalby has earlier this year that his tennis will take care itself if he just avoids injuries this year. He is top 10 player and always had been

elpolaco84
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
more off season training and less "off season party all night long, less carnaval, less world rally car, less asado y fernet con cola":wink:

sportsfan1
03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Nalby's gotta be one of the cleanest striker of the ball, and from the limited time I have seen him play, pretty good at the net as well. Definitely makes for good match viewing, unlike many other two handed baseline players. Now if he could do something about the fitness...

tenniselbow1
03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm expecting him to take out Tsonga as well, and if he pulls that off, all the *******s better go on serious alert. He's playing well, not to be taken lightly.

pvaudio
03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Does anyone else on here enjoy watching Nalbandian? I truly love watching his game for the variety that he brings. I think if he was a bit quicker he could easily be top 10. With all of his injuries its a shame that it has set him back. Ill tell you what though...that backhand and drop volley is so sweet to watch!You do realize he was ranked #3 in the world, yes?

TopFH
03-13-2012, 10:01 PM

Who has a better two hander?

purge
03-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Who has a better two hander?
i suppose he meant to say "the guy in the picture i just posted"

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Agassi had a better 2-hander than Safin and Nalbandian anyway.

dmcb101
03-14-2012, 05:05 AM
You do realize he was ranked #3 in the world, yes?

Yes I do. I am just saying that if he currently was in better shape he would be top 10.

tennis_pro
03-14-2012, 06:57 AM

Nostradamus
03-14-2012, 07:01 AM
I wonder if Nalbandian is interested in coaching after his career is done ? I think he could make a legendary coach like tony roche.

wilfreb
03-14-2012, 07:05 AM
nalba is one of my top players, my game is very similar to his game.

best backhand ever, but his serve is a weakness.

he is a natural top 10 im my book.

blackfrido
03-14-2012, 09:27 AM
nalba is one of my top players, my game is very similar to his game.

best backhand ever, but his serve is a weakness.

he is a natural top 10 im my book.

Have you seen him last night? I wasn't serving bad at all!

Mainad
03-14-2012, 09:43 AM
I wonder if Nalbandian is interested in coaching after his career is done ? I think he could make a legendary coach like tony roche.

Not sure I'd hire him as my dietician though! :wink:

PCXL-Fan
03-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Does anyone else on here enjoy watching Nalbandian? I truly love watching his game for the variety that he brings. I think if he was a bit quicker he could easily be top 10. With all of his injuries its a shame that it has set him back. Ill tell you what though...that backhand and drop volley is so sweet to watch!

I like your attitude, but you are grossly underestimating Nalbandians potential. Top 10 is nothing in terms of Nalbandians potential. He had the potential to be every bit as great as Federer, but his injuries and his tragically nonexistent work ethic kept him out of the highest legends of tennis. His injuries kept him from winning multiple slams and most already know that.

His backhand and coordination were so good even greats like Federer were destroyed by it rally after rally, back in 2003-2006, fyi-during Fed peakest of primes. However it was a snowball effect & the injuries and lack of achievements only added in disrupting Davids confidence and motivation and further prevented him from pursuing his birthright.

In terms of technical detail in why Nalbandian was so good: his sense of strategy and all court coverage despite so little practice was a step ahead of Federer. His footwork while not as flamboyant was every bit as good as Feds, only his footspeed let him down. His backhand was superior to Federer/Djokovic, arguably the best backhand of all time. All this amazingly with without the drive to perfect himself like Sampras, Federer, Nadal or Djokovic had..

Gaudio2004
03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I really love his game. His backhand is wicked, he covers the court so well when he's fit, but that seemed to be his Achille's heel: maintaining fitness. Watching him squander a 2 sets to love lead on Baghdatis in the 2006 AO was painful, but it cemented me as a Baghdatis bandwagoner. Can't really say that either of them turned out the way I thought they would.

That wasn't all down to Baghdatis playing well - Nalbandian is famous for not being able to close out matches or making a match more difficult than it need be! His match vs Cilic in IW 2012 is a great example, he should have won 6-4 6-3, in the end he won 7-6 7-5 (or something similar).

In Majors he has had too many 5-setters and lengthy 4 (and even 3) setters, which has lead to him losing some SF and QF in an easy manner

Nalbandian had many injuries when he was younger, in my view a reason as to why Nalbandian is such a favourite with the fans is because of his laid-back attitude (which helps and defines his game style as he never rushes).

The same attitude is apparent in his poor conditioning and for a long time, a poor diet and poor fitness regime which lead to numerous injuries!

If he didn't have the mental lapses in so many of his matches, the experience would be even better... but yes, he is a fantastic player to watch when he's motivated and wants to play. One of the cleanest ball-strikers out there

Warmaster
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Nalbandian looking strong - will win Indian Wells!

TennisNiche
03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I believe there are a number of factors which held Nalbandian back; injuries, lack of fitness, poor mentality in the most important moments, and perhaps also lack of a huge weapon.

I wrote actually a post based around his match against Nadal back in 2009 Indian Wells, and how this match really represents quite well the story of his career.

http://tennisniche.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/nalbandian-in-one-match/

OriginalHockeytowner
03-14-2012, 01:07 PM
That wasn't all down to Baghdatis playing well - Nalbandian is famous for not being able to close out matches or making a match more difficult than it need be!

We are in total agreement, that's why I said "squander." It was his match to win, he let Baggy back into it, and didn't even appear to be taking it seriously. I remember he hit the tape with a drop shot and just stuck his tongue out! Before he knew it, he was shaking hands and leaving the court.

ruerooo
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine is a huge fan, putting him into the "one of the best to never win a Slam" category, with his deadly angles.

No "squandering" from him yesterday against Tipsy.

Happy to see him move forward, always nervous about him potentially facing Rafa (assuming, of course, Rafa gets past Sasha), remembering their IW 09 match.

PSNELKE
03-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Nalbandian at his best was a joy to watch.
Such a shame that he wasn't really a hard worker and that those injuries set him back.

cknobman
03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
I was thinking Nalby might be mounting a comeback.....................

and then I spotted him at Krispy Kreme this morning.

ruerooo
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Nalbandian at his best was a joy to watch.
Such a shame that he wasn't really a hard worker and that those injuries set him back.

Terrible about the injuries.

Credit to him now, I think, for working harder now than he used to. He was an absolute beast about Davis Cup; with him and DelPo both playing, I'll be surprised if Argentina doesn't take that this year.

OriginalHockeytowner
03-14-2012, 01:25 PM
No "squandering" from him yesterday against Tipsy.

Excellent win! Tipsy is a tough player, very crafty.

PSNELKE
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM

I would hire him as my nutritionist.

Boricua
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I am not that aware of his work ethic...I only know what I hear on here (which is not so great I hear). But if that is true then you are correct. Look at Mardy Fish. Made a big push and look where he went. I would so love to see Nalbandian just win a slam, but I know that will never happen. He deserves it though.

Talent he has to win one. Strangers thinngs have happened. Sampras and Agassi won Slams way after their prime.

Nonetheless, Nalbandian will have to be more consistent and maintain high level if he wants to win a Slam.

Boricua
03-14-2012, 01:28 PM

And both of them in their prime...

Boricua
03-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Not sure I'd hire him as my dietician though! :wink:

If you want to gain some weight you can. Giles Simon could hire him.

Lavs
03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
what???
Safin
Nalby
Kafelnikov
and then maybe Agassi

Boricua
03-14-2012, 01:32 PM
I was thinking Nalby might be mounting a comeback.....................

and then I spotted him at Krispy Kreme this morning.

Did he it low fat donuts?

Boricua
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Did he it low fat donuts?

"eat" not "it"

PSNELKE
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM

What, you cannot bullz serious!!!

Boricua
03-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Nalbandians weight goes up and down. Two weeks ago he looked thin and now against Tipsarevic he looked like he gained the weight back. Curiously, he has played better with the added weight on, at least judging by him winning in IW and loosing in early rounds in his prior tournament.

ZeroSkid
03-14-2012, 03:23 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Andres
03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Well, there goes another top10!

Next: Nadal ;)

OriginalHockeytowner
03-14-2012, 05:16 PM
He's playing like a man possessed, a man with nothing to lose

dmcb101
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Thats my boy!

nadalwon2012
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Agassi is the cleanest hitter in tennis history (according to many), or certainly a cleaner hitter than Safin/Nalbandian. Agassi takes the ball earlier than any player in history. And Agassi's stronger wing is the backhand.... yet his backhand isn't as good as Safin/Nalbandian? Are you people for real?

skip1969
03-14-2012, 06:20 PM
i gotta say, i did miss nalby. i got to miss the end of his match with tsonga today, too. thanks to espn.

blackfrido
03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Nalbandians weight goes up and down. Two weeks ago he looked thin and now against Tipsarevic he looked like he gained the weight back. Curiously, he has played better with the added weight on, at least judging by him winning in IW and loosing in early rounds in his prior tournament.

this photo was taken this week in California, he does not look he gained any weight????
http://i42.tinypic.com/f0xl5d.jpg

Cheetah
03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
i love agassi and not even much of a nalby fan but i think nalby definitely hits 'cleaner' than agassi. i saw him practice at indian wells and also his match today and man.... his shots are really really clean. it was amazing.

jelle v
03-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Best backhand in the game.. wicked angles in his shots.. beautiful game, love to watch him play! Too bad of his injuries.. :(

Rhino
03-15-2012, 04:12 AM
I'm expecting him to take out Tsonga as well, and if he pulls that off, all the *******s better go on serious alert. He's playing well, not to be taken lightly.

I would love to see him beat Nadal. Fingers crossed everybody.

Rozroz
03-15-2012, 04:24 AM

that would be SUBLIME
http://www.stupidgifs.com/images/full/225.gif

The Pure One
03-15-2012, 06:02 AM

Really? Sit back an enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjHsiJK2ULs

aphex
03-15-2012, 06:04 AM

The whole tennis world hopes for this result!

Cesc Fabregas
03-15-2012, 06:22 AM
The whole tennis world hopes for this result!

In your head maybe.

Andres
03-15-2012, 06:36 AM
In your head maybe.
Shh what do you know? You banana, you.

Murrayalmagrofan
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
He's playing like a man possessed, a man with nothing to lose
Agreed. Very impressed with his game right now and I think he stands a good chance of upsetting Nadal at IW.

Evan77
03-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Nalby, oh boy love his game so much. I wanted him to succeed so badly. He has/had talent to be a multiple GS winner but he simply didn't want to work too hard. It breaks my heart, wasted talent.

Nalby simply has enjoyed his life, chasing women, eating etc. tennis was never his first priority. too bad, too sad

Lavs
03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Nalby, oh boy love his game so much. I wanted him to succeed so badly. He has/had talent to be a multiple GS winner but he simply didn't want to work too hard. It breaks my heart, wasted talent.

Nalby simply has enjoyed his life, chasing women, eating etc. tennis was never his first priority. too bad, too sad
It seems only players with incredible 2HBH enjoy the life like no one else...
Nalby, Safin, Agassi...
:)

uNIVERSE mAN
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Commentators thought that Fat Dave was looking thin yesterday.

Andres
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Commentators thought that Fat Dave was looking thin yesterday.
http://i42.tinypic.com/f0xl5d.jpg

Evan77
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
It's simply too late for Nalbandian. I hope that he has at least another master in him but doubt that too.

SCSI
03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I saw Nalbandian for the first time many years ago at the US Open practicing with Federer. I thought he was a Federer's hitting partner, but soon it became clear that he was outhitting Federer. I remember telling my friend that he needs to take it easy or he might get fired.

As good as Agassi was, he was not as good of a ball striker as Nalbandian. This guy really should have a few grand slams. Regardless, I enjoy watching him a lot. He has enough talent and ability to put all the current top 4 to shame on a given day.

dmcb101
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah. I just think the guy has this natural gift to hit a tennis ball like that. I think if he could figure out his fitness and find the right mind set I think he would be great.

jeebeesus
03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Clearly one of the cleanest ball striker around, but i am afraid its his twilight tour

Bjorn99
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
He is a natural 250lbs. So he is not a genetic freak like the rest of the guys on tour. But he is top three in terms of ball hitting skills. It was too much for him to stay in shape. Took way more than anyone else. God has a sense of humour.

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Do you guy know that this guy wasn't able to run/jog from couple years now since his hip surgery?
According to his personal trainer Galasso, Nalbandian and his team are very happy these days seeing David being able to run more frequently besides bike and swimming......
Unfortunately there is more info in Spanish language than English about Nalbandian's journey as a professional tennis player.
What I usually read here in this board mislead to a wrong perception about him. It's been said that the guy does not like to train, that he spends more time at Dunkin Donuts in stead of the gym, etc, etc.
Just get informed, it's not difficult these days!

celoft
03-16-2012, 09:31 AM
It would awesome if he won another masters series this year.

Shaolin
03-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Do you guy know that this guy wasn't able to run/jog from couple years now since his hip surgery?
According to his personal trainer Galasso, Nalbandian and his team are very happy these days seeing David being able to run more frequently besides bike and swimming......
Unfortunately there is more info in Spanish language than English about Nalbandian's journey as a professional tennis player.
What I usually read here in this board mislead to a wrong perception about him. It's been said that the guy does not like to train, that he spends more time at Dunkin Donuts in stead of the gym, etc, etc.
Just get informed, it's not difficult these days!

So, all the years I've seen him playing professional matches out there with a beer gut he was unable to run or jog? Sorry but you can't be fit enough to be out playing in grand slams and at the same time unable to do jogging or gym work.

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
^ what's your point? I don't get it........
Either he eats donuts or he does not like to train properly he was capable to kick butts to many of those well prepared top ten.
Obviously I love his game, and I don't really care much about results. I wish there would be more Nalbandians in today's cookie cutter tennis.

tistrapukcipeht
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Nalbandian will have to step up today if He wants to win a set, his win against Tsonga was only due to Tsonga's choke and poor effort.

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
^ step up from this level at least;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z87G61gvWg&feature=player_embedded

tistrapukcipeht
03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
^ step up from this level at least;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z87G61gvWg&feature=player_embedded

Yeah, well He used to be great, even when He was great he used to choke, I never forget that match against Nadal 4,5 years ago where He choked so badly and lost it. I think He was a break up and had match points on his own serve and lost it.

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
5 match points in the second set! don't tell me :(

Shaolin
03-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Either he eats donuts or he does not like to train properly he was capable to kick butts to many of those well prepared top ten.
Obviously I love his game, and I don't really care much about results. I wish there would be more Nalbandians in today's cookie cutter tennis.

My point is you can't blame his lack of fitness on injuries. I've seen him for years now playing matches about 20 lbs overweight. You can't be out there playing pro matches and at the same time claim that you are too hurt to go jogging or get on an elliptical. As a big Nalbandian fan I would love to see him win a lot more tournaments but he needs to get fit to do that.

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
My point is you can't blame his lack of fitness on injuries. I've seen him for years now playing matches about 20 lbs overweight. You can't be out there playing pro matches and at the same time claim that you are too hurt to go jogging or get on an elliptical. As a big Nalbandian fan I would love to see him win a lot more tournaments but he needs to get fit to do that.

buddy,
David is not claiming anything, he's a happy guy that enjoys life and tennis in a different way than for instance an obsessive Rafa. Leave the guy alone with his overweight, or his racing cars, or fuc...g as many women as he wants to.....
He needs to do that in order to keep playing tennis, otherwise he wouldn't be David.
I wanna see him winning a GS too of course but David would be happier if he wins Davis Cup for Argentina according to his own words....

luishcorreia
03-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I am loving it. One of my all time favourite players ever.

Loved his game against tipsarevic. Two great shotmakers.

One funny thing, I remmember an interview early on when nalbandian was comming up and reached the final at wimbledon, where they said that he was one of the players that worked harder at the gym..but that was 10 years ago.

Limpinhitter
03-16-2012, 06:15 PM

IMO, Nalbandian has one of the top 2-3 ground games, and THE best net game, over the past 10 years. If he had remained healthy during that time, he'd have a hand full of major titles and Fed and Nadal would both have a few less.

The-Champ
03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
IMO, Nalbandian has one of the top 2-3 ground games, and THE best net game, over the past 10 years. If he had remained healthy during that time, he'd have a hand full of major titles and Fed and Nadal would both have a few less.

This is my opinion as well.

mattennis
03-16-2012, 06:29 PM
He is VERY talented, but is his tennis "better" than Nadal's, Djokovic's, Murray's... or simply "more beautiful"?

Beautiful is not the same as better.

Rios was a similar case.

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 07:23 PM
This is my opinion as well.

agreed, he showed tonight against Rafa that he is still a tennis player. He did not retire yet. Vamos David!

diegoeste
03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Fernet With Coke!!!!!!!!! Vamos David!!!!!!!!!!!

blackfrido
03-16-2012, 09:07 PM

since you mentioned, I'm going crazy for a Fernet with Coke :)
vamos David!!!

diegoeste
03-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoeste
Originally Posted by blackfrido
since you mentioned, I'm going crazy for a Fernet with Coke
vamos David!!!

As you know my friend it is the official drink from Nalby`s fans jajajajaja
I hope to see Nalby during the SonnyE In Miami, Ive my tickets!!!

VAMOS DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackfrido
03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoeste
Originally Posted by blackfrido
since you mentioned, I'm going crazy for a Fernet with Coke
vamos David!!!

As you know my friend it is the official drink from Nalby`s fans jajajajaja
I hope to see Nalby during the SonnyE In Miami, Ive my tickets!!!

VAMOS DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm drinking one of those right mow celebrating Fed's victory over Rafa. What a happy night for me :)

ClairHarmony
03-17-2012, 11:20 PM
I like your attitude, but you are grossly underestimating Nalbandians potential. Top 10 is nothing in terms of Nalbandians potential. He had the potential to be every bit as great as Federer, but his injuries and his tragically nonexistent work ethic kept him out of the highest legends of tennis. His injuries kept him from winning multiple slams and most already know that.

His backhand and coordination were so good even greats like Federer were destroyed by it rally after rally, back in 2003-2006, fyi-during Fed peakest of primes. However it was a snowball effect & the injuries and lack of achievements only added in disrupting Davids confidence and motivation and further prevented him from pursuing his birthright.

In terms of technical detail in why Nalbandian was so good: his sense of strategy and all court coverage despite so little practice was a step ahead of Federer. His footwork while not as flamboyant was every bit as good as Feds, only his footspeed let him down. His backhand was superior to Federer/Djokovic, arguably the best backhand of all time. All this amazingly with without the drive to perfect himself like Sampras, Federer, Nadal or Djokovic had..

Careful not to stake greatness on too many salient technical points. All too often lost in the voluptuous luster of Nalbandian's firm abs? Something solid to build around. When the nerves hit, what worked for Nalbandian before...not taking things so seriously, being laid-back, chill, a real pleasure to the ladies, can often backfire. For even the most chill among us, are aware of what's at stake when knocking on the door of greatness. It's hard to ignore and just play through that. This is when Nalbandian has failed in the past. He's gotten tight, as most humans are prone to do...like Agassi, only Agassi worked on that. And got appreciably better at that. Never Michael Jordan in the clutch, when it mattered most, he eventually learned how to not freeze up like a brain dead deer in the headlights. It's not uncommon among ESTP's like Agassi and Rios...feel no nerves, think abstract very little, most game day ready out of the box...until the moment of truth arrives, and suddenly these impulsive, happy, so let's go gambling tonight, fellows get very, very tight...at the precise moment, when immaterial meets material. If not actively worked on, they'll tend to choke...see Rios' many an epic choke job at unable to capture his home nation's little tourny stop title in Chile.

Nalbandian is like Agassi in that both are serviceable athletes, but not exactly Puma lightning in a glass shattering bottle out of the gates. Nothing earth shattering at all about their raw athleticism. What made Agassi's severicable athleticism, an attribute? Being able to use it at *all* times. He may not have gotten appreciably more Ben Johnson like in terms of speed, but what he was able to do was use his keen nose for the ball, cat nip like swiping reflexes far more often, and with more precision, and think clearer when it matterered most...because he was not flabbergasted with too much Taco Bell roja gas no more.

In short, he was able to use what he got over all the others, a careful surgeon's hands...only sped-up a lot.

When you've got stunning hand-eye coordination, put it this way, if you've got *perfect* hand-eye coordination, it's doubtful you're ever gonna lose. You can add your rump into the shot with all kinds of advanced, new-fangled, bio-bull-mechanical techniques...but Mr. Perfect Wall over there's gonna beat your pants off every time. How? By taking whatever you feed him, and spitting it back non-chalantly with perfect precision. That's how a guy like Nalbandian wins.

It's why *WHEN* he's on, everyone goes, how does he do that? He looks like a fat slob with cinnamon glazed french fries still dangling from his hair like ornaments, left over yesterday's brunch, would have washed them out, but forgot to take a shower....

And yet, he's still human. He comes back down to earth, and thus has remained yo-yo inconsistent through the years. 1 day he looks like a, how does he do that phenomenon like L.L. Cool J...he's smooth, reall smooth, and he sleeps with Madonna...the next? Well, he kinda just looks like what he looks like, a character from the Family Guy, the son, only kinda sorta all grown up now. He ends up looking out-athleted, a step slow, a little out of gas, not particularly looking like he's taking this loss *too* hard, and well, all in all, it still works out in his favor. He makes an ASTOUNDING living...so though life could be better, no real complaints.

And yet, where has he consistently failed? The fitness did not quite show up. The wheels come unglued, the early astounding balance and precision is outlasted, as his lungs appear to be getting stuck, inflating from too much pink bubble gum...man, that sucks.

Nalbandian would have still eeked a slam out or two anyway, if had a big weapon. His backhand is a major weapon, but it's an effortless counterpuncher's weapon...that doesn't work nearly as reliably once a preponderance of nerves ruin that hitherto "perfect" balance, and calm and free, easy going, enlighten me swing...he may still swing, but does a perfect pendulum suddenly distraught with nerves not falter slightly along the perfect, seems to swing by itself, pathway? Umm...yeah!!! "Vamos!!! Vamos!!!"

Where a guy like Rios failed as well, when suddenly fraught with thought?

Not having that GO TO weapon, that requires less construction, and more brute bulldozing force over the otherwise very thoughtful, and delicate, matter at hand. Like a canon serve, just concentrate right for one second, and nerves may not have a chance to ruin your otherwise reliable and trustworthy trigger hand.

Like a canon inside-out forehand...please, please, just don't come back *1* more time. Why do some players pass it around like a baked potato in the clutch? And, others far more predictable to guard, and yet they still end up reaonsably successful? Why? Because, when everyone's running around with their eyesight cut-off in near death circulating fear...go to the alpha man, who says my strength is great; stop me, *if* you can.

And, in that moment, the chances multiply that Lebron on fire suddenly thinks to take the not enough time left percentage pass...and just like that, a stunning zone is broken up by waning thoughts, when often times, the simplest, insectual impulse will do...hooray, for pulsating buzzer beaters!!! ...and macho serves that smack! Sting, but deliver...with the absolute minimum of thought.

diegoeste
03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm drinking one of those right mow celebrating Fed's victory over Rafa. What a happy night for me :)X

.....and now Im drinking an XXL after Federer`s new MC nmbr 19!

I cant see 2 many esteroids any longer!!!

SALUTE AND VAMOS DAVID!!!!!!!!!!

blackfrido
03-18-2012, 06:43 PM
X

.....and now Im drinking an XXL after Federer`s new MC nmbr 19!

I cant see 2 many esteroids any longer!!!

SALUTE AND VAMOS DAVID!!!!!!!!!!

yo tambien!!! still celebrating, basta de tennis triste please. So many talented players to watch to be worried about Rafita :)

Nostradamus
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM

He lost to Hewitt in wimbledon final when he was healthy. his netgame is ok but not great. I think Nalbandian may have 1 major under his belt. but problem is his belt keeps breaking

Limpinhitter
03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
He lost to Hewitt in wimbledon final when he was healthy. his netgame is ok but not great. I think Nalbandian may have 1 major under his belt. but problem is his belt keeps breaking

He lost his first major final against the #1 player. If he had remained healthy, I think he would have put that experience to good use to win many such major finals. Also, by saying that his net game is "ok" you are implying that everyone else's net game is not ok (which may be a fair statement in an age of baseline tennis where few are competent at net), because his is the best of the past decade, IMO.

Nostradamus
03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
He lost his first major final against the #1 player. If he had remained healthy, I think he would have put that experience to good use to win many such major finals. Also, by saying that his net game is "ok" you are implying that everyone else's net game is not ok (which may be a fair statement in an age of baseline tennis where few are competent at net), because his is the best of the past decade, IMO.

One thing we can agree on is that he is incredibly talented. but he does lack one major weapon that scares his opponents.

blackfrido
03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
guys, you might be right about his net game; average or okay whatever.
I'm sure that not many of this era can make a racquet levitate just by looking at it
http://i44.tinypic.com/2qmgtg5.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
03-18-2012, 08:26 PM

A healthy Nalbandian still managed to lose matches he should have won, like the 03 USO semis vs Roddick and 07 AO semis vs Baghdatis. Every great champion has superb mental strength, and Nalbandian has fallen short in that area in almost every big match of his career.

Nalbandian fans have a habit of severely overrating Nalbandian by getting awed by his 'beautiful' game and overlooking the fact that he tends to be a flake mentally and chokes in big matches. He probably should have won a slam, but he didn't because of his mental weakness, not because of injuries or lack of fitness.

blackfrido
03-18-2012, 09:14 PM
A healthy Nalbandian still managed to lose matches he should have won, like the 03 USO semis vs Roddick and 07 AO semis vs Baghdatis. Every great champion has superb mental strength, and Nalbandian has fallen short in that area in almost every big match of his career.

Nalbandian fans have a habit of severely overrating Nalbandian by getting awed by his 'beautiful' game and overlooking the fact that he tends to be a flake mentally and chokes in big matches. He probably should have won a slam, but he didn't because of his mental weakness, not because of injuries or lack of fitness.

Is there anything wrong to enjoy those moments of beautiful game? Is there anything written somewhere that I'm missing that says I should look at this game with the same kind of perspective and judgement than everybody else?

jamesblakefan#1
03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Is there anything wrong to enjoy those moments of beautiful game? Is there anything written somewhere that I'm missing that says I should look at this game with the same kind of perspective and judgement than everybody else?

Where in my post did I say that you can't enjoy his 'beautiful' game? That's fine, but when people make asinine statements like saying he'd been taking slams left and right if he had stayed healthy is where I draw the line. It's revisionist history since the guy's mentally weak and despite his talent, which no one is questioning, has blown it in almost every big time match he's played against the big players, save for his great run indoors in 07.

blackfrido
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
when you said the guy has blown every single big opportunity he had.....I guess you're talking about Wimbledon final 2002 at the age of 20 against the #1 player in the world, or 2003 US open semis against Andy Roddick (#3) third set tie break when wasn't that clear the umpire behavior...... btw on his way to this semis David beat #2 player in the world R. Federer, or 2004 semis at R. Garros against the actual winner Gaston Gaudio, or ....I could go over every single opportunity and my point of view does not have any in common with yours.
Do you know that the last 30 Slams or so were taken by two or three players? Do you think the rest of them are mentally weak?

jamesblakefan#1
03-19-2012, 06:52 PM
when you said the guy has blown every single big opportunity he had.....I guess you're talking about Wimbledon final 2002 at the age of 20 against the #1 player in the world, or 2003 US open semis against Andy Roddick (#3) third set tie break when wasn't that clear the umpire behavior...... btw on his way to this semis David beat #2 player in the world R. Federer, or 2004 semis at R. Garros against the actual winner Gaston Gaudio, or ....I could go over every single opportunity and my point of view does not have any in common with yours.
Do you know that the last 30 Slams or so were taken by two or three players? Do you think the rest of them are mentally weak?

OK so Nalbandian has epic mental strength 2nd only to Hewitt. Let's just pretend that he didn't totally gag against Baghdatis AO 06, or inexplicably losing to Frank Dancevic in the 1R of AO 08 after his great indoors run to end 07...or 5 MPs against Nadal IW 09 and he loses...and this weekend's match of course. Let's just pretend that Nalbandian doesn't have a history of choking and coming up short mentally in matches. Jeez

That 06 AO in particular was probably his best chance at a slam. 2 sets to love up against Baggy and he still couldn't close it out.

blackfrido
03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
^ you know what jamesblakefan#1 I think we are going to agree about something, this guy named David Nalbandian was part of many big moments in professional tennis of the past 10 years, no many other were right there. In my opinion that shows that David has something in his game to be there. Every single of the thousand of players traveling the world want to be there not many can achieve that, as a matter of fact just few....

jamesblakefan#1
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
^ you know what jamesblakefan#1 I think we are going to agree about something, this guy named David Nalbandian was part of many big moments in professional tennis of the past 10 years, no many other were right there. In my opinion that shows that David has something in his game to be there. Every single of the thousand of players traveling the world want to be there not many can achieve that, as a matter of fact just few....

No doubt he has a great game as his years in the top 5 and big wins say. BUT (and it's a big but that you seem to be ignoring) he's always been missing that extra something mentally that every great slam champion has had.

The difference between a good player and even a very good player like Nalbandian and the great ones, the all time great ones, is having that little bit extra mentally to come through in the big moments. Even his compatriot JMDP was able to pull one out in 09. Certainly David should have one one maybe 2 but anything more in this era would have been stretching it.

tistrapukcipeht
03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm a big fan of Nalbandian, have been watching him for a long time, however his mental strength and fortitude is not up there with the greats, Nalbandian does choke in big moments, just like the last match against Nadal, He had some short balls to capitalize on them He wasn't aggressive enough to take it to Nadal. Whenever they say "who wants more"is completely right, had He gone after it, He could have won, but instead He backed up and waited for Nadal to take the initiative, resulting in another loss to Nadal, all his losses to Nadal come on chokes, Nalbandian hands it to him.

blackfrido
03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
^ we agree about that, the majors are just for few with "something else" and a little bit of luck too. Two weeks playing every other day is not that easy. If you ever played tennis you know how that difficult is.....
I was at the Sony Ericsson 1st round qualy this afternoon and I had the chance to watch a player that I've never heard of; M. Viola (italy) playing against GUILLERMO GARCIA-LOPEZ (who took Andy Murray out of Indian Wells). This Italian really plays good tennis, and I was asking myself why this guy doesn't have a better ranking? I searched on M. Viola and there are two Mateo and Marco; one with 684 ranking the other one 154. Can you believe that? whoever Viola this is, he gave a great fight to Garcia Lopez taking him to the third set.....sorry probably this is out of topic here but is about tennis and how small (in my opinion) the gap is between the top players and some others fighting to be there.
By the way, I saw David practicing this afternoon with Flavio Cipolla....poor Flavio :)

rdis10093
03-19-2012, 07:39 PM
no one likes to play nalbandian. He can always play lights out tennis.

diegoeste
03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Dear BLackfrido, did u see David? pls take the Fernet bottle away from him right now! he is doing a big efforce coze the London stuff but he enjoys more suck magic drink....

I ll be there next week from Buenos Aires!

The one who dont enjoy David`s game, dont love his mother!
David is like an INXS playboy, take it or leave it! ROCKN`TENNIS WITHOUT ESTEROIDS and pills!!!!!!! Everybody must enjoy it, 100% talent. RF is the other one with pure talent, the rest are 2boring guys from the gyms and labs.

VAMOS DAVID!!!!!!!!

ZeroSkid
03-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Nalbandian will win a slam

Dilettante
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
He lost his first major final against the #1 player. If he had remained healthy, I think he would have put that experience to good use to win many such major finals.

You put it in a way that seems that injuried prevented Nalbandian from winning majors and that's simply not true. He was and is very good, but simply not that great. Pleasant style, some impressive groundstrokes... but let's not get blinded by the lights, we're not moths.

He had some good runs against the top guns in some important tournament here and there... problem is "some important tournament" is not a slam, but a very different thing. Bobby Fischer had never beaten Boris Spassky before 1972, not once, but they had never played a world final before, if you know what I mean.

Nalbandian is that kind of player who is a WTF winner, not a slam winner. That kind of players, capable to beat the best in some occasions but not in THE ocassions, these players existed before and will exist in the future. And THE occasions separate the good from the great. Winning in THE occasions is the biggest talent needed to be great. Nalby doesn't have it. Yeah, he reached a slam final once. Many did. Not that many won.

Del Potro is just better, just to name some other Argentinian.

jamesblakefan#1
03-19-2012, 10:42 PM
^^^I'd put Davydenko in that same category from this era, just not slam meddle and I don't really think guys like Fedal kept them from being multi slam winners (meaning 4 or more) but rather they always seem to shrink in the big slam matches regardless of opponent. Nalbandian losing a slam semi to Baghdatis, Davydenko losing a slam semi to Puerta...not the type of matches that great champions make a habit of losing. I even have more sympathy for someone like Roddick, who of course won 1 and I think could have 3-4 in any other era, if not for running into Roger in every slam final he played in after 03.

When Limpinhitter says that Nalby would have 'a handful' of titles and taken slams from Fedal - no, just no.

PCXL-Fan
03-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Dear Dilettante and james, Lol what utter nonsense is clouding you Fedlovers. Nalbandian would be easily 3rd or 4th greatest player ever if not for his bad early coaching and injuries. What you fail too see is what we fellow Argentinians do, is losing the forest for a few bad trees, we understand because we have been following him more closely and with clearer less biased vision.

Did you not just see how he almost defeated world #1 Rafa in Indian Wells when Rafa was at the top of his game and Nalbandian is still recovering from his rustdear D??

joeri888
03-20-2012, 06:50 AM
No doubt he has a great game as his years in the top 5 and big wins say. BUT (and it's a big but that you seem to be ignoring) he's always been missing that extra something mentally that every great slam champion has had.

The difference between a good player and even a very good player like Nalbandian and the great ones, the all time great ones, is having that little bit extra mentally to come through in the big moments. Even his compatriot JMDP was able to pull one out in 09. Certainly David should have one one maybe 2 but anything more in this era would have been stretching it.

I think Nalbandian also looks worse mentally because he doesnt have a serve that is worthy of top 5. He's been no. 1 and 2 in the world when it only comes to groundgame, but when he blinks, he blinks badly. If Federer blinks, the relative automatic motion of a serve is usually still there and he can win a point or a game without playing well. David has been having to work for every point of every game all his life. Nalbandian was mentally weak in that he often did not put in the hard hours, but match toughness wise, I would consider him very strong.

Another thing that hasnt helped David is that he's lived in Fedal era for most part of his career. After that USO loss to Roddick, the window was basically shut. Winning a YEC and b2b MS titles was the best he could do after that. Bit unlucky in that RG semi against Federer as well.

woodrow1029
03-20-2012, 07:04 AM

Third set tiebreak, wasn't that when someone yelled out from the crowd?

The last 30 slams have been won by 5 people.

Dilettante
03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Dear Dilettante and james, Lol what utter nonsense is clouding you Fedlovers. Nalbandian would be easily 3rd or 4th greatest player ever if not for his bad early coaching and injuries. What you fail too see is what we fellow Argentinians do, is losing the forest for a few bad trees, we understand because we have been following him more closely and with clearer less biased vision.

Did you not just see how he almost defeated world #1 Rafa in Indian Wells when Rafa was at the top of his game and Nalbandian is still recovering from his rustdear D??

Indian Wells is not a slam.

There's a huge difference between a slam and any other tournament, YEC included. That's the important point of my message.

That's why I cited Fischer-Spassky. If you see the last game they played before 1972 World Championship, they played in some tournament with all the press looking, and Spassky won in a very convincing way. It's not absurd some Russians thought Fischer was not ready for Spassky.

But a crucial tournament is a different thing. The names of the players might be the same, but the pressure is different, the intensity is different, the requeriments are different. So they play different. Some players needed to be in their absolute A form to reach a final: Nalbandian, Baghdatis, Puerta, etc. And they did it once. Sometimes, twice.

Some other players, the great ones, don't need to be in their absolute form peak to reach a final. That's why they can reach several finals and won some titles. They are made for slams.

So, for me, it's absurd comparing Nalbandian to players like Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. Nalby is in a whole different tier. He has big talents in some specific techniques and strategies, but his overall talent is missing some important aspects. He's less talented and it shows when it matters.

blackfrido
03-23-2012, 06:57 AM

I couldn't agree more!! these guys with their opinions seem to be inside of David's head.........The only one that has the answer for all that is David, why didn't win a major, if he really choked here or there, or blah, blah, blah.....
Again, recalling your words " Nalbandian would be easily 3rd or 4th greatest player ever if not for his bad early coaching and injuries. Who's fault is this? David's, and here is where I see in my humble opinion his biggest problem "his ego", it gets on his way most of time.
Common Nadalitos, and *******s look at the big picture and enjoy his game while lasts....