PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Technology for 2012 and the coming years

jdawg02
03-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Is it me or did all the mainstream racquet companies ex. (Babolat, Head, Wilson..) just simply move their racquet technology to the handle? It seems kind of eerie that in 2012 that these manufactures are marketing all the same concepts in regards to enhance feel in the handle and vibration dampening. Which company do you think did the best job in this category? I currently own the new YouTek IG Prestige MP and I don't feel much of a difference from the previous model. Will these companies ever run out of ideas for racquet technology and how far will this go with all the claims in terms of percentages in more power, stability, comfort, and feel. Where are these facts coming from? lol

scotus
03-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Is it me or did all the mainstream racquet companies ex. (Babolat, Head, Wilson..) just simply move their racquet technology to the handle? It seems kind of eerie that in 2012 that these manufactures are marketing all the same concepts in regards to enhance feel in the handle and vibration dampening. Which company do you think did the best job in this category? I currently own the new YouTek IG Prestige MP and I don't feel much of a difference from the previous model. Will these companies ever run out of ideas for racquet technology and how far will this go with all the claims in terms of percentages in more power, stability, comfort, and feel. Where are these facts coming from? lol

Head does not make any claims about new handle technology, does it?

The only difference is Innegra, which may be all over the frame or maybe just at some locations. But Head does not say that it is built into the handle.

jdawg02
03-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Head does not make any claims about new handle technology, does it?

The only difference is Innegra, which may be all over the frame or maybe just at some locations. But Head does not say that it is built into the handle.

I spoke with a Head Rep and he claimed that Innegra was distributed to the handle as well. Not sure if that is true but he mentioned that the overall feel of the racquets is more dampened because of Innegra...

scotus
03-14-2012, 01:03 AM
I spoke with a Head Rep and he claimed that Innegra was distributed to the handle as well. Not sure if that is true but he mentioned that the overall feel of the racquets is more dampened because of Innegra...

Yes, the Innegra fiber may extend all the way to the hairpin in the handle.

But that's not really a handle technology. It is more like the Donnay Xenecore in that the entire racquet is supposedly more shock-absorbing.

For the best handle technology for shock absorption, my vote goes to Volkl Organix. Although I am not entirely convinced that the yellow plastic pin does anything, at least the hairpin is covered with a layer of foam, and the handle does a great job at absorbing shock. The pallets, however, are not the best at absorbing shock (same material as Head).

For the best pallets, look no further than Pacific. The Pacific/Fischer pallets are twice as heavy as Volkl/Head pallets and are made of rubber-like material. These are far more shock-absorbent than the fragile pieces of expanding PU foam that Volkl and Head use.

BU-Tennis
03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
These are all marketing ploys to keep people buying new frames. Most of the pros are still using the racquet they started with just pained to look like a new color, and even then the racquet is so heavily customized it in no way resembles what its claimed to be.

If you are worried about dampening just use a 12 ounce racquet with a 95 headsize and a thin beam with low flex rating gut string...that's about as dampened and buttery as you can get.

darklore009
03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Wilson did a great job in the amplifeel tech on the prostaff 90. There is a difference between the old BLX and the new one. Seems like it made it more crisper than the old.