PDA

View Full Version : SOFT grip pallets?

ProPlayer
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
so Im making a custom handle mold, for my rackets. Now I dont use a grip, usually just an over grip or two. which typically means I have to add lead to the pallet to make up for the weight lost from removing the grip.

So I was contemplating what it might be like to use a polyurethane, to form the grip rather than a the typical dense foam. Additionally they polyurethane would have a bit more weight to it helping to make up for the lost weight of the grip.
And it would have a bit of give to it as opposed to the hard foam.

any thoughts?

scotus
03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
so Im making a custom handle mold, for my rackets. Now I dont use a grip, usually just an over grip or two. which typically means I have to add lead to the pallet to make up for the weight lost from removing the grip.

So I was contemplating what it might be like to use a polyurethane, to form the grip rather than a the typical dense foam. Additionally they polyurethane would have a bit more weight to it helping to make up for the lost weight of the grip.

any thoughts?

From what I can gather, the "typical dense foam" you are talking about is also made of polyurethane. It is just a polyurethane expanding foam of higher density, perhaps around 10-12 lb or so (although I recall someone mentioning it is not thermoset but some other type)

I am sure you can play around with the density / durometer to come up with softer material.

If you get an opportunity, check out the pallets made by Fischer and Pacific. There you have heavier, more flexible/elastic, almost rubbery type of pallets that are far more shock-absorbing.

ProPlayer
03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
well yes, the typical grip is polyurethane foam which ive used in the past, but im talking PU rubber, 60 durometer, similar to a string dampener.

I actually dont want it to be more shock absorbing, atleast not in way a dampner makes the strings feel dead, or filling the handle with silicone does.

I just want it a tiny bit easier on my hand than a bare handle. so the bevels will still be sharp, but have some give.

scotus
03-14-2012, 10:38 PM
well yes, the typical grip is polyurethane foam which ive used in the past, but im talking PU rubber, 60 durometer, similar to a string dampener.

I actually dont want it to be more shock absorbing, atleast not in way a dampner makes the strings feel dead, or filling the handle with silicone does.

I just want it a tiny bit easier on my hand than a bare handle. so the bevels will still be sharp, but have some give.

As I mentioned before, see if you can get a hold of a Pacific or Fischer racquet and see if you like it.

And when you do make the mold, make sure to post your experiments here. I am eager to see how you would go about it, especially how you would make sure the handle hairpin would be centered inside the mold.

ProPlayer
03-15-2012, 01:07 AM
As I mentioned before, see if you can get a hold of a Pacific or Fischer racquet and see if you like it.

And when you do make the mold, make sure to post your experiments here. I am eager to see how you would go about it, especially how you would make sure the handle hairpin would be centered inside the mold.

well Ill probably have something to center the bottom of the hairpin, the top will be held since it tapers anyway.
But Im using fiberlgass for the mould so it will be clear and make it easy to check the alignment

scotus
03-15-2012, 01:53 AM
well Ill probably have something to center the bottom of the hairpin, the top will be held since it tapers anyway.
But Im using fiberlgass for the mould so it will be clear and make it easy to check the alignment

Sounds like a brilliant idea! Let us know how it goes.

ProPlayer
03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
well I've taken a mould, and cast the half block.
This will allow me make a fiberglass mould with flanges.
http://i43.tinypic.com/34sqerl.jpg

ProPlayer
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/143dsue.jpg

scotus
03-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Nice. What is the blue material? And is that a wooden racquet handle?

ProPlayer
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
its a 2 part soft rubber for moulding.

Not wood, why?

Power Player
03-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Can u order me up some of those $1 Cali rolls?

scotus
03-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Can u order me up some of those $1 Cali rolls?

That's for Tuesday nights only!

Hi I'm Ray
03-26-2012, 09:35 PM

any thoughts?

Wouldn't this come out to something similar to a leather grip with an overgrip on it?

nyc
04-04-2012, 03:11 PM

any thoughts?

Very cool! I think the idea of creating a molded grip that has some give is interesting.

Another approach would be to round off the edges a bit to simulate a Replacement Grip feel.

Moving forward, it would seem to me that the trickiest part would be to create a jig/mold that holds the pin in place dead center and in a vacuum to get the air bubbles out for an evenly dense surface. Then you have to account for shrinkage.

Based on the looks of your silicone mold you have a good amount of air in that as well. Short of a Vac chamber, vibration can help as well to get bubbles out to get a cleaner mold.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ProPlayer
04-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Very cool! I think the idea of creating a molded grip that has some give is interesting.

Another approach would be to round off the edges a bit to simulate a Replacement Grip feel.

Moving forward, it would seem to me that the trickiest part would be to create a jig/mold that holds the pin in place dead center and in a vacuum to get the air bubbles out for an evenly dense surface. Then you have to account for shrinkage.

Based on the looks of your silicone mold you have a good amount of air in that as well. Short of a Vac chamber, vibration can help as well to get bubbles out to get a cleaner mold.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I do have a Vacuum pump, but it seemd most of the bubbles came out... on the sides, so I figured it was ok, but its no big deal since I filled those with wax, and B. i was able to sand down any bumps on the intermitent resin peice, which I only needed to use once anyway.

I prefer the sharp edges on the handle, however on the spot that m thumb rubs, I rounded off.
But with the soft material it has a bit of give so no need to round off the rest of the edges.
see here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=419222

nyc
04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
oh wow check you out.

that's very cool.

Adherence to the pin is ok in play?