PDA

View Full Version : Juice 100 VS Pure Drive 2012?

BigM
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey guys,

All of this talk for lighter more powerful frames has got me thinking about maybe trying a spin stick. I'm interested in peoples thoughts regarding the Juice 100 Blx vs the Pure Drive 2012. I have hit with both frames and enjoyed them both. I haven't had much experience so any input would be of a great help to me.

BigM

roundiesee
03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Strangely, this was my dilemma when I went to my local tennis store about 2 weeks ago; I ended up getting the Juice because I was advised that the PD was too stiff. The Juice played much softer than the published specs, and was not harsh on the arm at all. But I think if you are looking for more power, the Bab may be the better choice. Good luck!

BigM
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
The butt capp is kind of annoying on the Juice. How did you find it?

darklore009
03-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I did tried the new pure drives. (my whole team has it cuz of coach) it is powef and stiff. But I still need to try out the juice 100. Will report back after I'm done playtesting the juice 100.

BigM
03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
I did tried the new pure drives. (my whole team has it cuz of coach) it is powef and stiff. But I still need to try out the juice 100. Will report back after I'm done playtesting the juice 100.

Awesome thanks!

NetNinja68
03-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Hey guys,

All of this talk for lighter more powerful frames has got me thinking about maybe trying a spin stick. I'm interested in peoples thoughts regarding the Juice 100 Blx vs the Pure Drive 2012. I have hit with both frames and enjoyed them both. I haven't had much experience so any input would be of a great help to me.

BigM

A buddy of mine demoed both rackets and found them very similar as well and ended up going with the Juice as he found both racquets to similar power but the Juice was more comfortable. If you really like them both then either way you go you'll be happy.

darklore009
03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Finished playtesting the juice 100. Results is in. The pure drive and the juice is powerful. Control wise, goes to pure drive. For comfort and spin, goes to juice. Both are forgiving. So, I prefer the juice cuz of it's comfort.

roundiesee
03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
The butt capp is kind of annoying on the Juice. How did you find it?

No issues at all; I'm fine with it.

BC1
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Demoed the juice tonight and was surprisingly pleased. Very powerful yet a surprising amount of control. Serves and overheads and groundstrokes where strongpoints. Volleys and touch shots not so much. Forgiveness and the ability to make good returns out of nothing surpassed the pure drive - which i didn't think was possible. It is a super stiff racquet but very muted and super stable. The tw reviewers said it was unstable against heavy shots, i totally disagree. I wouldnt call it comfortable, however my demo had super stiff and super old poly (babolat ballistic) strung at 61. An elbow destroyer for sure, but with different strings it should be fine. The feel is totally different then the pure drive. I believe the pd is a little less muted and actually feels more flexible. You dont hear that often about the pd.

After reading the mixed and so-so reviews i wasn't expecting much, but I actually liked the juice a lot and the performance was as good if not better then the pd or any other power tweener. The weight was perfect, around 11.4 and it seemed a lttle more headlight then the pd. Control was also better, except for touch volleyss and drop shots. I played a league match with the Juice (doubles, and won 6-0, 6-0, so that helps with my positive opinion right now for sure), and then demoed it and the pd 2012 side by side by playing singles. I'm not going to pick a winner out of the two, both are great. I will say imo the juice deserves a lot more respect and attenton then what it's getting, and if I had to pick one based on tonight alone, it would be the juice. However, i can see how it wouldnt be for everyone, you will definitely have to demo.

As far as the butt cap goes. I loved it! But i like big butts (on racquets) and this was probably the best butt cap ive seen. It allows you to grip lightly yet still have contol of the racquet without it slipping. I also found myself using a more western grip and putting more topspin on the ball with ease and success and i can only attribute this to the grip and balance of the racquet.

It seems like with the Juice, the new pd, the new warrior, and the pro open, there are some fantastic options out there, and all as good as the next. Just personal preferences.

BigM
03-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the awesome feedback! I really enjoyed the Juice but I went with the Pure drive. Just something off the string bed gave me a bit more spin and that blasted massive butt Capp. Both are very easy frames to use and supply the user with awesome power and spin.

BigM

ArliHawk
03-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Quick question (and I don't mean to hijack the threat): what is the difference betwen the Pro Open 2012 and Juice 100?

I am looking at something from Wilson to demo with the Pure Drive, so any information would be helpful.

BC1
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
^^^ I havent played with the pro open enough to give you a valuable comparison, but as far as specs go, the Pro Open is more flexible then the Juice (68 compared to a 72). I think that will be the biggest difference. The weight distribution is also slightly different, and the juice has a 16x18 pattern and the pro open a 16x19. You "should" get a little more control out of the Pro Open. Power wise I think they will be about the same. I also am interested in a direct comparison of these two.

Prostaffer
03-19-2012, 12:10 PM
My friend switched had the pro open and liked the juice a lot. Said it had better spin and volleys than her pro open. She ended up with the steam ha.

I was town between the pure drive and juice also. I had a roddick GT that was just too stiff.

The juice hands with heavy balls just fine. I liked the way it worked with a one handed backhand better than the PD. Lopez style haha. I'm torn between my old two hander and the one hander i've had the past few years. What better way to frustrate myself than play a racquet that works for both right?

BC1
03-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm torn between three - the PD, the Juice, and the Warrior. If I played with the Pro Open some more I'm sure I could add that to the list. I think all four of these will work equally well, and they can all be altered to suite anyone's game by changing the string set-up to whatever is needed - more power, more comfort, or more control.

BigM
03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
The PD for me felt very refined as in it had no rough edges at all. It plays very smooth considering it's stiffness. The Juice is dynamite at net but overall I found the PD to feel much more stable and allowed me to have more control against the big hitters.

BC1
03-19-2012, 05:47 PM
The PD for me felt very refined as in it had no rough edges at all. It plays very smooth considering it's stiffness. The Juice is dynamite at net but overall I found the PD to feel much more stable and allowed me to have more control against the big hitters.

I agree 100% about being refined and contollable. However i found my shots more powerful and i had more winners with the juice, for some reason i was playing more aggressively and therefore better with the juice. I played tonight with the pd again, and it felt very good and i played well. I cant decide between the two. My goal is to pick one and then have a runoff with warrior.

keithfival
03-19-2012, 06:57 PM

I hit them both tonight, PD strung with poly, Juice strung with syn gut (so that could be a factor in how they played), but that said, I preferred the PD in every way except that it felt stiffer. I agree with the above about the PD, it felt perfectly calibrated, I felt like I could have played a match right away and not missed a beat. Amazing control, perfect feeling weight/balance, effortless serving, I was going for broke right away and not missing. It also has an amazing sensation when you blast a flat ball in the sweetspot, I can't quite describe it. I'm sure I could play my best tennis with it but I would be scared of the stiffness as I already have issues with that. It has a very solid and dampened feel but I would still be scared.

The Juice 100 was basically the exact opposite for me. Again, it could have been crappy syn gut strings but nothing felt good about it, I was spraying FHs, not getting any first serves in (PD almost all first serves in with no warm up), couldn't tell if I was hitting the sweet spot or where the ball would go. I kept looking at it thinking, what would anyone like about this?

In sum, if you don't mind a stiff racket and like to be aggressive I don't think you can beat the new PD. (Never tried the previous ones.)

BC1
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
^^^^ i just posted a reply on the other thread about the juice. Dont rule it out until you try it with poly like you did with the pd. It changes the racquet all the way around. Much better in every way and no flyers. I had the same experience you did with syn gut in it.

Power Player
03-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Keith..use the pure drive with a softer string like rip control instead of full poly - problem solved.

any stick that needs full poly is potentially a trade in if you get injured anyway.

BC1
03-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Keith..use the pure drive with a softer string like rip control instead of full poly - problem solved.

any stick that needs full poly is potentially a trade in if you get injured anyway.

PP, good point, and something I hadn't considered. You're winning me over with all your love for the PD and Rip Control. I have nothing against the PD. It has been my primary racquet for over two years, I have just been testing the waters with others to see if something may be better. The problem I am having with the new pd (2012) demo may be string related. It is strung with Prince xx spin at around 60. Control is good, comfort is ok, and it's solid, but doesn't seem to have the pop that my older pd had. I usually use alu power rough at a lower tension and I had been assuming that since the demo has a syn gut that it would be even more powerful, but that is not the case. I had thoght the seemingly lower power of the pd was due to the lower SW, but maybe with a different string set-up everything would be perfect. How is the power level with Rip?

keithfival
03-20-2012, 06:40 AM

I don't like RIP or Mantis comfort syn, I tried them both in various ways in my APDC+ and found less pop and less control than a soft poly at 50#. What other soft strings are there with lots of control? I'd love to be able to use the PD (or even continue using my APDC+) but I can't imagine controlling it without poly.

BigM
03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't like RIP or Mantis comfort syn, I tried them both in various ways in my APDC+ and found less pop and less control than a soft poly at 50#. What other soft strings are there with lots of control? I'd love to be able to use the PD (or even continue using my APDC+) but I can't imagine controlling it without poly.

I'm currently using Lux Savage at 52 and it feels dynamite! What poly is the demo strung with? I'm tempted to try Natural mains and Alu crosses in this bad boy! Totally get that awesome feeling when you nail a flat shot right in the sweet spot it's just so wow! Such a good frame from Babolat.

Power Player
03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
The power level of rip is lower so it controls the pure drive real well. There are a lot of multis you can use it in that will last as long as a poly for many players. Poly dies real fast so it evens out.

Mikelers multis thread is loaded with options..the prince premier attack lasts a long time. I get really great control with rip, but I string at 59.. So maybe that is why..but it matches up so well with the pd for me.

I'd also add some lead at 12 to get the swingweight up..I have 3 grams in the plus.

keithfival
03-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Totally get that awesome feeling when you nail a flat shot right in the sweet spot it's just so wow!

Agreed. That feeling is crazy, I don't even know how to describe it, it makes you feel like hercules!

Chyeaah
03-21-2012, 01:39 AM
I just played with a Pure Drive, Poly Hybrid. It was I think PHT/Addiction. That think killed my arms on offcenter hits and drives.

With Synthetics and Gut it's alright.

Bmr
04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm currently using Lux Savage at 52 and it feels dynamite! What poly is the demo strung with? I'm tempted to try Natural mains and Alu crosses in this bad boy! Totally get that awesome feeling when you nail a flat shot right in the sweet spot it's just so wow! Such a good frame from Babolat.

The Lux Savage felt great to me as well. I may have to pick up a reel of this stuff...it is a lot softer than most polys I have played with and is outstanding at the net.

JackB1
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Anyone else compare the PD12 to the Juice? The Juice seems to get a lot of positive reviews, but the PD12 seems to get more attention around here.

Bmr
05-02-2012, 08:31 AM
I think the Pure Drive is a good racquet, but Babolat definitely gets the benefit of marketing. Remember when RPM Blast came out? OMG, everyone was raving about it being the best string ever.

I spent a good amount of time with the 2012 Pure Drive and the Juice, comparing them both to the EXO3 Black and the Speedport Black. IMHO, the Juice has the best qualities for what I look for in a racquet. Even though it weighs a tiny bit more than the Black, it is a tad more head light (which suits my game).

The Pure Drive is a great groundstroke racquet. It feels extremely solid on contact, and I think that is what impresses everyone. Now, I was using a multi when I demoed it..but it felt very stiff to me, especially on serve. I was getting creamed when playing singles against my friend with it. I go back to the Prince and start kicking butt again.

The Juice felt great right away. I suppose I would have to string up a PD2012 with the Luxilon Savage I used on the Juice to get a more accurate comparison. I just think they are overhyped.. not denying that it is a great racquet, but I think it becomes personal preference as to the feel you like.

The Juice elevated my volley game, my groundstroke game is still the way I like it..and serves are actually pretty good also. I ordered a reel of the Lux Savage because it paired so well with the racquet.

SJSA
05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
You must have a strong arm. Both rackets have high vibration frequency.
Try Donnay Formula 100 and Wilson Blade Team when you have a chance.
Both are light, spin, and arm-friendly rackets with power.

Bmr
05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
You must have a strong arm. Both rackets have high vibration frequency.
Try Donnay Formula 100 and Wilson Blade Team when you have a chance.
Both are light, spin, and arm-friendly racket with power.

That Donnay 100 got really good marks...impressive.