PDA

View Full Version : Becker DC Pro vs Wilson BLX Pro Open vs Volkl PB8 315 vs Dunlop Aerogel 4D 500 Tour

deco0028
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi
I am looking for a spin friendly, powerful racquet with an arm forgiving feel, around the 310-325g strung weight range, open string pattern for spin, for a 13 yr old.
Definitely do not want a racquet that feels stiff. I will string them in either a softish syn gut, or Weiss Cannon B5E or Silverstring, so no arm-breaking setup.

The DC Pro is touted to be a little clumsy due to mass in the head, but we had the old Becker Pro(orange and white) and witha few grams in the hoop, it felt stable and comfortable. Real spin monster too.

The Wilson BLX Pro Open has the right specs, but we have not tried it yet.

The Volkl PB8 315 also has the right specs and seems like it could be whippy given the low SW, but stiffness could be an issue,although my elder son uses the PDRGT with B5E/SS setup, and it feels plush. So the Volkl's stiffness sounds like it could be tamed with the right strings and also lower tension in the crosses.

I have no experience with the Dunlop 500 Tour 4D. But I have the 4D 200 Tour, and it is well constructed.

I like the Volkl and Becker range as the pallet system allows you to change grip size quite easily, without upsetting the balance, which lends itself to the growing child. The Volkls and Beckers also have a nice feel, from my experience with the BB London and old BB Pro.

Thanks

Would appreciate your help.

canadad
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I can comment on a couple of the racquets in different incarnations. I owned a K Pro Open for two years and now own a Organix 8 315. Comparing the two, the Pro Open for me was more accurate, but deader. The X8 is more arm friendly, more powerful and produces far more spin. I got rid of the K Pro Open due to poor serving and that dead feel. I bought an X8 because I love the Volkl feel and wanted something more powerful than my London to occasionally turn to just for fun. Also because I am addicted to trying new frames. I may actually be getting rid of my X8, because it has confirmed that I am really into more control oriented racquets.

Cengusiento
03-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Dunlop 4D 500 tour feels stiff. My vote to bb dc pro and blx pro open.

BLX pro open has a firm but non-stiff feeling, very stable racket.

I don't have tested the BB DC Pro, but I play with the BB Pro (orange one) and insn't stiff at all at its 69RA range, so I supose the DC pro with the added weight and low stiffness will be much more confortable.

deco0028
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone care to comment on the Volkl PB 8 315 and its stiffness on court? The 7-8 pts HL is appealing for its potential whippiness, but conversely, has generating power been an issue?
Thanks

deco0028
03-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Anyone else with some comments? Perhaps include the PB 8 295 too?
Thanks

deco0028
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
No one with any on court experience ?

Power Player
03-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I have only used the Pro Open but it is an awesome racquet and still have 2 in my closet. I really prefer XL sticks, so I went with a pure drive plus.

If you like Pure Drives, APDCs..etc...the pro open is worth a demo.

BC1
03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
I have only used the Pro Open but it is an awesome racquet and still have 2 in my closet. I really prefer XL sticks, so I went with a pure drive plus.

If you like Pure Drives, APDCs..etc...the pro open is worth a demo.

Power,
If you were NOT going with an extended length racquet, would you prefer the PD (standard), or would the Pro Open be your racquet of choice?

Eightmarky
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM
AG 4D 500 Tour was supposed to play similar to the APDC but I didn't get that at all. The 500 was overall less powerful and had less spin potential. I would say it's an ok racket for a 3.5 to lower 4.0 player but advanced players will just be underwhelmed by it's average performance across the board.

Power Player
03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Power,
If you were NOT going with an extended length racquet, would you prefer the PD (standard), or would the Pro Open be your racquet of choice?

I'd probably go with the Pro Open.

It's a tough call, but the pro open is pretty darn awesome.

adso1973
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi Power player are you referring to the current blx pro open or the previous? are there any differences? I read some complaints about it

Power Player
03-19-2012, 02:10 PM
The previous 2010 BLX..I believe they are the same sticks.

What complaints did you read?

BigM
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
The 2012 New Black Drives are amazing. So much power and spin while maintaining a good level of comfort and stability. Best in class IMHO.

Hi I'm Ray
03-20-2012, 12:41 AM
I have used all of them except the PB8 315, I did use the PB8 295 though. I'll try to compress down my thoughts on these 4 rackets:

DC Pro - the most comfortable of the bunch by far, much more comfortable than the orange/white Pro it replaced. If it were all about arm comfort this one wins for sure. Big spin and power, probably the most out of the group, but yes it did feel a bit clunky.

Aerogel 4D 500 Tour - I honestly don't get it when someone says this frame has good feel. Very stiff and hollow feeling, even with Poly/Tonic(very good gut for those who don't know), made a very loud hollow sound on impact. The good part is the it has good power and spin, and a nice sense of control, though both spin and power are not Pure Drive level.

PB8 295 - for some reason I just could not get my timing right with this one. I hit a lot of crap balls with it so I can't comment much on it's playability. It did have a very nice smooth, vibration free feel on impact.

BLX Pro Open - My favorite of the bunch, played very similar to my APDGT, except lighter, slightly less power, a touch less spin, and a different feel. I went with the APDGT because I felt there was more power and spin potential to tap into, but the BLX Pro Open was a very close 2nd. I tried 3-4 BLX frames and a Pacific, I also just don't like the feel of Basalt.

Here's how I'd rate them below. Notice I left out the PB8 from all except the feel dept. since I couldn't play well with it.

Feel: 1)PB8 2)Pro Open 3)DC Pro a distant 4th)500 Tour
Power: 1)DC Pro 2)about the same for the Pro Open and 500 Tour
Spin: 1)DC Pro 2)Pro Open 3)500 Tour
Control: 1)500 Tour 2)Pro Open 3)DC Pro

deco0028
03-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Thank you for all who have taken the time to reply. The BLX Pro Open seems to be the best bet, taking all into account. If only the DC Pro were a little more manoeuverable....