PDA

View Full Version : bartoli ivanovic match . on court coaching very interesting

arche3
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Ivanovic just had her coach at tje xhamge over give pointers. I like this aspect of the game televised. The men should do it. I like to see what they say .

gsharma
03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
What did the coach say? Grunt more? WTA is a joke, in general.

tennis_pro
03-15-2012, 02:23 PM

he said "wta is a joke so i dont care if you lose"

OrangePower
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Ivanovic just had her coach at tje xhamge over give pointers. I like this aspect of the game televised. The men should do it. I like to see what they say .

I don't like the on court coaching thing.

Basically, the WTA is saying that their players are too dumb to figure things out for themselves during the course of a match.

What's next - allow a 'designated server'? (Like designated hitter in baseball)

phnx90
03-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't like the on court coaching thing.

Basically, the WTA is saying that their players are too dumb to figure things out for themselves during the course of a match.

What's next - allow a 'designated server'? (Like designated hitter in baseball)

More like a dedicated overhead person (Sharapova could do with one or a dozen of those)

arche3
03-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Oh... he said "stay down in your ground strokes. You know she (bartoli) is going for broke. And that the ball will come back fast. Stay down and stay on top of the ball more. Go for it a bit more your hitting well. "

It was interesting in that its the same stuff we hear.

So she then breaks bartolis serve then serves for 1st set.

You Can't Be Serious
03-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh... he said "stay down in your ground strokes. You know she (bartoli) is going for broke. And that the ball will come back fast. Stay down and stay on top of the ball more. Go for it a bit more your hitting well. "

It was interesting in that its the same stuff we hear.

So she then breaks bartolis serve then serves for 1st set.

Most importantly, he told her to trust her instincts. I was surprised that Ana didn't think she was playing well, and the way the coach was talking you get the sense Ana is very critical of herself. He kept tell her she is doing just fine.

You are correct, hearing the on court coaching is great. However, they should have a translator in the booth for the foreign players.

jones101
03-15-2012, 11:55 PM
I dont like it - whats she gonna do when its 4 all in the 3rd set of a slam???

If she is used to receiving on court coaching then some the biggest moments, she is likely to fail!!!!

BobFL
03-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Imo, on-court coaching is the worst change in tennis EVER. For me, it is about being alone out there and trying everything you can to figure it out.

sureshs
03-16-2012, 07:56 AM
From a spectator's perspective, I would want to see a competitive match, and if coaching helps in that, I would rather have that than a bagel or breadstick result.