PDA

View Full Version : Varying String Tension from Center

TimothyO
03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
A local stringer mentioned that he strings mains and crosses at different tensions as he approaches the edges of the frame.

For example, with 16 mains he might string the four center mains at reference tension, the next four from center up/down four pounds from reference (I don't reall if it was up or down), and the final two at the edge the opposite of the previous four (up if the last four were down, etc.)

He does the same thing with the crosses working from center to tip and throat.

Does this truly result in a more consistent stringbed?

What's the best way to do this assuming gut mains and poly crosses?

It seems to make sense but is it worth it?

Irvin
03-16-2012, 03:01 AM
It is just proportional stringing and has been around for a long time. If it was worth the time everyone would do it. Many think you can get the same string feeling by just lowering the overall tension.

tball
03-16-2012, 07:28 PM
I use it. It does have an effect. I've seen references floating around about the JayCee method, where they apparently lower tension in the middle (to increase cupping). I myself lower tension on the edges (especially the top 1/3 of the crosses) to reduce the dead zone there, and it works. The differential in tension remains throughout the life of the stringbed. It sure makes stringing slower, but this is a treat I do for myself.

fortun8son
03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
I see in your other thread that you are still contemplating buying a machine.
Do not get bogged down with this advanced stuff.
It will make your head explode!
Learn to string the classic USRSA way.
This is your reference standard.
After you get a hundred or so racquets under your belt, you can start thinking about tricks like proportional stringing and how they deviate from the norm.

KerryR
03-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I use it. It does have an effect. I've seen references floating around about the JayCee method, where they apparently lower tension in the middle (to increase cupping). I myself lower tension on the edges (especially the top 1/3 of the crosses) to reduce the dead zone there, and it works. The differential in tension remains throughout the life of the stringbed. It sure makes stringing slower, but this is a treat I do for myself.

FWIW, the newest incarnation of JayCee, now called JET, reduces tension on the outside mains, with the exception of the last 2, but that's to compensate for loss of tension at tie off, so the end product is somewhat similar to proportional stringing without as much reference tension changes. One of the older versions of JayCee did indeed reduce the tension towards the middle, the opposite of proportional. The effect was produced after tie offs by pushing down hard on the middle of the strings with the thumbs, from outside to inside, in order to push the 'slack' from the outside mains (from tie off) to the middle. Nice idea, but damnably difficult to do in a quantifiable or repeatable manner.

travlerajm
03-24-2012, 08:22 AM
This method I've found to be effective at preventing loose outer mains, without needing to use higher tenisons - it also results in longer-lasting playability for me:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=418119