PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Mac : the big four should fear Isner

VOLLEY KING
03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
SAN JOSE, CALIF. — He called his 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-2 Davis Cup upset of Roger Federer the biggest win of his life.  And for good reason.  After all, John Isner had just nullified the 16-time Slam champ on enemy turf, taking down the Swiss master on the clay of Fribourg, giving his American teammates some unexpected momentum en route to a 5-0 World Group shocker.
On Monday night at the SAP Open, where John McEnroe appeared in an exo showdown with Gael Monfils, Jack Sock and reigning NCAA champion Steve Johnson, the Hall of Famer called Isner’s achievement well deserved.
“Isner is a guy who, when the top four look at a draw, they go, ‘Where’s Isner? We don’t want any part of him.’  They believe they’ll beat him, but they’d prefer someone else to do it,” said McEnroe, who teamed with the 19-year-old Sock to top Monfils/Johnson 6-4, 6-4.
Does Isner — in this golden age of Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray — have the stuff to compete for a Slam title?
“I think so.  I really do,” said McEnroe, just days away from his 53rd birthday.  “I believe he can get to a semi or a final, given the right set of circumstances.  The problem with John is that he makes it a little more difficult for himself because he sort of wants to show that he can hit groundstrokes with these guys.  I think he’d better off playing more like Pete Sampras, where he would unnerve these guys, not give them rhythm, drive these people absolutely bananas.  Maybe he’ll do that.”
“He’s a great kid,” McEnroe continued.  “He’s already at No. 14.  I always thought he could get to the top 10.  I don’t know if he can win something, but believe me, he’s THE most dangerous guy out there on the tour.  I love the fact that he went and did what he did [in Switzerland] because he deserves it.  And it says something: maybe someone can go to college and succeed.”

OrangePower
03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
I like Isner and wish him well, but I can only half agree with Mac on this one. I agree that Isner is dangerous and can give the top guys trouble. But, he is too reliant on his serve, so whereas on a good day he can beat anyone, to win a slam he has to be on for 7 matches in a row. If he has a bad (for him) serving day anywhere there, he does not have enough game in other areas to make up for it. So I just don't see him competing for a slam.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Interesting, McEnroe just implied Sampras' ground game sucks.

Towser83
03-15-2012, 07:37 PM
he's not THE most dangerous guy on tour, what the hell has Mac been smoking? :lol:

But he did do well to beat Federer on clay and take Nadal to 5 sets.

Jonny S&V
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM
he's not THE most dangerous guy on tour, what the hell has Mac been smoking? :lol:

But he did do well to beat Federer on clay and take Nadal to 5 sets.

Then who is the most dangerous? I qualify dangerous as someone who can rise to an occasion on a big stage, with something that no other player would want to play against. Isner fits both of these qualifiers to a tee, having the mentality to compete on a big stage and having a serve almost equivalent to Karlovic.

OddJack
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
JMc Baloney again.

Isner has the serve but not the game or the head.

He can threat the top 4 as mach is Ivo does.

Towerofpower205
03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
He also went 4 or 5 with djok in David cup on clay

SStrikerR
03-15-2012, 08:10 PM
JMc Baloney again.

Isner has the serve but not the game or the head.

He can threat the top 4 as mach is Ivo does.

Isner can win, whereas Ivo can't. He has the potential to upset them, therefore he's dangerous. I don't think he's the most dangerous out there, but nobody has to enjoy seeing him in their draw.

devila
03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
blow me down. gugg gugg mc ate his spinach.
isner serve nullifies federer's predictable bh.

oh mirka oyl.

yeah, right. his prediction that djokovic never would be dominant or beautiful to watch as his lover federina came true too. next thing, he'll say isner will be a smarter player than the other usa players.

Towser83
03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Then who is the most dangerous? I qualify dangerous as someone who can rise to an occasion on a big stage, with something that no other player would want to play against. Isner fits both of these qualifiers to a tee, having the mentality to compete on a big stage and having a serve almost equivalent to Karlovic.

well you have to first decide if you mean ALL of the players, in which case of course Djokovic is most dangerous at the moment. If you mean which player can upset the big players, and don't count the world number one, then I look at most dangerous as being someone who will actually score wins over the big guys. Isner beat Federer once, never beat Nadal or Djokovic (though he took them both to 5 sets on clay, so added to the clay win over Federer, he actually is pretty dangerous on the dirt) and never beaten Murray.

I'd probably say Tsonga is more dangerous cos not only has he beaten alltop 4 players, he's done it in slams too.

Hood_Man
03-15-2012, 08:46 PM
He's probably far more dangerous to the top guys as a lower seeded player who can meet them in the first or second round of a slam rather, rather than a higher ranked opponent who maybe one day won't be able to meet any of them until the 4th round or the quarters.

I don't think Nadal would have been taken to 5 sets by Isner if that match had happened in round 4 for instance, he would have gained some momentum by then.

Bobby Jr
03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Most days, such as today for example, Isner isn't even a top 50 player other than his serve. Time after time I see him netting/hitting long absolute gimmies in a manner befitting a club level player.

If things click, I agree, he's a big danger to anyone but the game plan against him basically is: hit the ball more than 4 steps from where he is. As much as he's improved his movement he depends heavily on opponents not moving him about much.

The Wreck
03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I think the statement was meant to be, outside of the rest of the top 8 or so players (Ferrer, Tsonga, Berdych, Del Po), Isner is one of the last people any of the top 4 want to see in their section of the draw.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 02:42 AM
I just watched the FO : Isner vs. Nadal....OMG!!!!

Isner took Nadal to 5 sets at the FO and was up 2 sets to 1!

Nadal barely won:

6-4, 6-7,6-7,6-2,6-4 .....

Add that to his win over Federer ........and....

HE MAY BE THE ONLY SERVE AND VOLLEYER ON THE ATP!!.....I now love this guy!

Watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypvZEXEiJI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

joeri888
03-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Isner needs to learn how to volley. Take example from Karlovic who is even taller but volleys way way better.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 03:04 AM
What is Mac smoking...Isner is serve and that's almost all he does. Tsonga, Delpotro, Ferrer are 3 levels above him.

Isner just beat Federer and warwinka before that

Rozroz
03-16-2012, 03:06 AM
i hate serve dependent guyz. (Sampras was different)
they're usually tall and have no game.
Raonic might prove himself better.
Isner might improve but he's boring.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 03:10 AM
i hate serve dependent guyz. (Sampras was different)
they're usually tall and have no game.
Raonic might prove himself better.
Isner might improve but he's boring.

Serve and volley.....I find it exciting

TTMR
03-16-2012, 03:12 AM
I just watched the FO : Isner vs. Nadal....OMG!!!!

Isner took Nadal to 5 sets at the FO and was up 2 sets to 1!

Nadal barely won:

6-4, 6-7,6-7,6-2,6-4 .....

Add that to his win over Federer ........and....

HE MAY BE THE ONLY SERVE AND VOLLEYER ON THE ATP!!.....I now love this guy!

Watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypvZEXEiJI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Okay. Isner is not a serve and volleyer. There are several examples of real serve and volleyers on the ATP tour, such as Ivo Karlovic and Michael Llodra, and guys that serve and volley much of the time: Ivan Dodig, Florian Mayer.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Okay. Isner is not a serve and volleyer. There are several examples of real serve and volleyers on the ATP tour, such as Ivo Karlovic and Michael Llodra, and guys that serve and volley much of the time: Ivan Dodig, Florian Mayer.

Why isn't Isner a real serve and volleyer? He serves and then volleys.....am I dreaming?

Today's match against joker should be really interesting.....

Greatest serve on ATP vs greatest return on the ATP .

interjim
03-16-2012, 03:15 AM

Mac doesn't imply things. He says what's on his mind.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Mac doesn't imply things. He says what's on his mind.

Awesome statement!! Bravo.

Marius_Hancu
03-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Anyway, just getting in IW in the SF is a great thing for him. Dangerous, yes.

jgrushing
03-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Why isn't Isner a real serve and volleyer? He serves and then volleys.....am I dreaming?

Today's match against joker should be really interesting.....

Greatest serve on ATP vs greatest return on the ATP .

Isner only serves and volleys occasionally; his normal pattern is a serve and forehand. I think that's what he's seeking most of the time. I watched John since his college days at UGA.

He's certainly not a SV player in the mold of Edberg, Rafter, McEnroe, etc. I agree that he works toward shortening points but serve/put away forehand is his MO.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Isner only serves and volleys occasionally; his normal pattern is a serve and forehand. I think that's what he's seeking most of the time. I watched John since his college days at UGA.

He's certainly not a SV player in the mold of Edberg, Rafter, McEnroe, etc. I agree that he works toward shortening points but serve/put away forehand is his MO.

I'm sort of discovering him now ..... But every YouTube video ive seen him on he is at the net ..... Do you have any video substantiating your claim?

Wilander Fan
03-16-2012, 04:05 AM
I'm sort of discovering him now ..... But every YouTube video ive seen him on he is at the net ..... Do you have any video substantiating your claim?

I would say Isner has a very similar game to Raonic.

Paul Murphy
03-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Big serve and big forehand ticks two boxes for me but his movement is still an issue.
That win over Federer on clay was a shock and he's capable of more upsets like that but I just don't see him winning against the elite regularly enough.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 04:07 AM
I think we are. Both right. He is a mix of both

From wikipedia:

Isner has a powerful serve, thanks in part to his 6-ft, 9-in (206cm) height he get a good angle, only Ivo Karlovic is taller among the current players.[38] Commentators[who?] have also praised his composure; in five consecutive third-set tiebreaker wins in Washington, he delivered huge serves when it mattered most.[39] Isner also has a very powerful forehand as well. On serve, Isner often goes for one-two points, a big serve followed up by a big forehand. He is also known to back up his serves with approaches to the net, though he does not strictly serve-and-volley. Isner's movement around the court is hampered by his body, and he is hurt by players who move him around the court. Isner's fitness has improved considerably over the years, and he displayed this during his win in the longest tennis match ever at Wimbledon against Nicolas Mahut.

cellofaan
03-16-2012, 04:22 AM
He does often back his serve up by coming to the net, but from what I have seen, he usually doesn't do it by playing serve volly, but follows his second shot (often the forehand) to the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wzlZnlpm7o

cknobman
03-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Johnny Mac "All aboard!!!!"
http://images.quickblogcast.com/3/5/1/2/7/182718-172153/bandwagon.jpg?a=36

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 06:54 AM
He does often back his serve up by coming to the net, but from what I have seen, he usually doesn't do it by playing serve volly, but follows his second shot (often the forehand) to the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wzlZnlpm7o

that was years ago. He serves and volleys now :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIR8TO8puk&feature=related

Jonny S&V
03-16-2012, 07:19 AM
that was years ago. He serves and volleys now :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIR8TO8puk&feature=related

That's his strategy against one player, and a smart one on that. I mean, Isner's forehand is good, but it's not better than Nadal's groundies overall, so how do you take out a guy with amazing groundstrokes who likes to stay 10 feet back (on clay)? Take the angles away and make him come up.

Overall, Isner is NOT a S&Ver (coming from someone who dabbles in S&V), but I would consider him and all-courter (and the fact that you cited Wikipedia in a previous post does not help your legitimacy...).

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 07:32 AM
That's his strategy against one player, and a smart one on that. I mean, Isner's forehand is good, but it's not better than Nadal's groundies overall, so how do you take out a guy with amazing groundstrokes who likes to stay 10 feet back (on clay)? Take the angles away and make him come up.

Overall, Isner is NOT a S&Ver (coming from someone who dabbles in S&V), but I would consider him and all-courter (and the fact that you cited Wikipedia in a previous post does not help your legitimacy...).

well ive shown a video...heres another....and an amazing one at that!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpM3UTu3nGo

Jonny S&V
03-16-2012, 07:41 AM
well ive shown a video...heres another....and an amazing one at that!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpM3UTu3nGo

Not really amazing for that level. Ball hit right at them, they're gonna get it back (not necessarily for a winner like he did, but still).

You've been watching too many highlight reels. Try watching full matches. Then you'll see that he's not a S&Ver (he's great at mixing it up).

decades
03-16-2012, 07:41 AM
hilarious. the 5 star tennis analysts here say John Isner "only" has a serve. I guess forgetting that he beat Fed on clay over five sets and took Nadal to 5 at FO. Not bad for a guy who "only" has a serve. lol.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Not really amazing for that level. Ball hit right at them, they're gonna get it back (not necessarily for a winner like he did, but still).

You've been watching too many highlight reels. Try watching full matches. Then you'll see that he's not a S&Ver (he's great at mixing it up).

did you notice the commentator say "yet another serve and volley"?

Jonny S&V
03-16-2012, 07:59 AM

...you do know that all-courters S&V right? Or are you that dense?

BeHappy
03-16-2012, 08:02 AM
His volleys aren't good enough to play that game. Especially on today's slow courts.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
His volleys aren't good enough to play that game. Especially on today's slow courts.

it was good enough against Roger Federer on red clay and five tough sets against Nadal on red clay.....isner did better against Nadal than Fed.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 08:08 AM

no need for the dense comment.

Of course I know that...Im a serve and volleyer.

Its a tough dostinction to make.

For example was Pete Sampras a serve and volleyer or an all courter?

Tammo
03-16-2012, 08:08 AM
I think Isner is undeestimated on his BH and return. When he beat Fed, he ended the match with 3 return winners. I think he has realized that he can't just try to get the ball back in play.

batz
03-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Isner isn't an S&V player mate - he just isn't.

I could post some vids of Murray doing S&V - but he isn't a S&V player either.

BeHappy
it was good enough against Roger Federer on red clay and five tough sets against Nadal on red clay.....isner did better against Nadal than Fed.

He loses more points than he wins when the ball comes back from one of his serves.

When you add them up though, it's like 40% of points won with his serve alone that leaves 60% of points on his serve: Well he loses 40% when the ball comes back, but still wins 20% of those rallies and 20% plus the 40% of serves is 60% and gets him over the line. All he needs is one mini break in the tie break and he wins the set.

Make no mistake though, he is nowhere near being a competent volleyer.

VOLLEY KING

Jonny S&V
03-16-2012, 08:11 AM

It doesn't matter what Pete was. It doesn't back-up your assertion that a commentator saying "yet another serve and volley" makes a player a S&Ver since S&Vers, all-courters, heck, even counterpunchers and baseliners all S&V.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 08:13 AM
It doesn't matter what Pete was. It doesn't back-up your assertion that a commentator saying "yet another serve and volley" makes a player a S&Ver since S&Vers, all-courters, heck, even counterpunchers and baseliners all S&V.

I never said thats what makes him a serve and volleyer.....all im saying its a tough distinction to make.

I used Pete Sampras as an example to illustrate just how hard it is to make the distiction.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Make no mistake though, he is nowhere near being a competent volleyer.

with a serve like that he doesnt need to be. he just has to be average.

batz
03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
with a serve like that he doesnt need to be. he just has to be average.

Nope - because when he plays a top returner he struggles a bit - hence his 0-7 record v Noel/Rafa/Murray.

monfed
03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
On a given day he can potentially cause an upset. It's another thing that he doesn't.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Nope - because when he plays a top returner he struggles a bit - hence his 0-7 record v Noel/Rafa/Murray.

We shall see tonight!

batz
03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
We shall see tonight!

No we won't - it's not until tomorrow ;)

BTW - I'm not saying he can't beat Noel or Rafa or Murray - I'm just saying they make it tough for him because of their return.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
No we won't - it's not until tomorrow ;)

BTW - I'm not saying he can't beat Noel or Rafa or Murray - I'm just saying they make it tough for him because of their return.

Crap. I thought it was tonight. What time Tommorow

Those guys make it tough for everyone. Having said that Isner almost beat
Nadal at the FO in five sets and was leading 2-1

I think the scores were

Nadal - 6-4,6-7,6-7,6-2, 6-4

mattennis
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
He should do serve and volley more, given his height and swingspan.

He is not a serve and volley player. He does it maybe 5-10 % of the times with his serves. That is not a serve and volley player.

Have you ever watched complete matches of him?

achokshi99
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Isner is by far the most dangerous player on the tour because of his serve and pacing. He is like Sampras in that he really paces/conserves his energy and decides when to crank it up. He is very methodical and strategic in knowing when to slow the game down in terms of just between points. Plus, just watch the guy in big matches, there are some people that just mentally have a clutch aspect that comes out during pressure moments.

Yeah Isner can look very mediocre, doesnt move like a lot of players, and can be lumbering but he doesn't seem to fold mentally/beat himself in those big situations. Guys like Berdych, Sod, Tsonga, Monfils...nice power hitters that are still easily read by the big 4 for the most part. Except for Tsonoga, those guys have a plan A = their plan b, c, d. I have seen Isner play a fair amount, one of the worst guys to watch cause of the slow types of matches but he does adjust and as soon as the opponents get a little rhytm, Isner starts taking longer time between serves, towel breaks on court. All within the rules too.

batz
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Crap. I thought it was tonight. What time Tommorow

Those guys make it tough for everyone. Having said that Isner almost beat
Nadal at the FO in five sets and was leading 2-1

I think the scores were

Nadal - 6-4,6-7,6-7,6-2, 6-4

1100 Local Time

Nobody is saying Isner isn't a tough player - I like the guy; in fact I like to see all American players do well, but he's just missing something to be able to make it to the very top IMO. Can be top 10 this year though - no doubt about that.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
1100 Local Time

Nobody is saying Isner isn't a tough player - I like the guy; in fact I like to see all American players do well, but he's just missing something to be able to make it to the very top IMO. Can be top 10 this year though - no doubt about that.

He may be a late bloomer like Joker.

He did just beat Roger Federer. That's huge.

Maybe now he believes he can win.

kaku
03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
He is a 1-9 versus the top 4. He's a dangerous player, and has challenged members of the big four before, pushing rafa to 5 at RG, djokovic to 5 in DC in 2010, Murray to 4 at the USO, and beating Fed recently. However, I don't see him anything more than an occasional upset over the top 4 simply because a big serve and a big forehand alone is not enough to consistently beat guys who do virtually everything well.

Juan Ma Del Pony
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Nobody wants to see Izzy in their part of the draw. They'd take Karlovic over Izzy any day. Izzy has ground game in addition to that serve. His BH has improved by leaps and bounds as well, I've never seen him hit BH return winners like what he did to Federer in Davis Cup and Simon last night.

He will be dangerous in RG so long as he avoids dog-fights in the first few rounds. Once you drain Izzy with the five-setters in R2 and R3, he's toast when he meets the seeded players. If Izzy plays smart and gets to R4 without losing too many sets, I would be VERY AFRAID to play him at that point, if i were a Top 5-8 ranked player.

VOLLEY KING
03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
He is a 1-9 versus the top 4. He's a dangerous player, and has challenged members of the big four before, pushing rafa to 5 at RG, djokovic to 5 in DC in 2010, Murray to 4 at the USO, and beating Fed recently. However, I don't see him anything more than an occasional upset over the top 4 simply because a big serve and a big forehand alone is not enough to consistently beat guys who do virtually everything well.

Human behavior is funny...they tend to label people and its very hard to get out of that label.

Players and people evolve....

not so long ago Nadal was only a "clay court specialist" , Djokovic was known as Chokeavic andquit matches.....

I think Isner made a breakthrough beating Federer.

Mcenroe was right.....the big 4 need to be afraid,.....very afraid.

kaku
03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Human behavior is funny...they tend to label people and its very hard to get out of that label.

Players and people evolve....

not so long ago Nadal was only a "clay court specialist" , Djokovic was known as Chokeavic andquit matches.....

I think Isner made a breakthrough beating Federer.

Mcenroe was right.....the big 4 need to be afraid,.....very afraid.

We'll see how Isner fares tomorrow. I think he will take a set and if he wants to beat Djokovic he has to take his chances. Djokovic isn't at 100% yet, so the time is ripe for Isner.

okdude1992
03-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Volley King, maybe you should watch some more Isner matches before commenting? You even said you are just now discovering him (which is saying something since he's been a top player for a while). PS, quoting wiki to prove a point isn't the best idea.

From my experience seeing John both live and on tv, his volleys kind of suck. He just gets tons of easy ones because his serve is so good. And he virtually never serves and volleys. This was his tactic against Nadal at the French because he couldn't hang from the baseline.

okdude1992
03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
It's true Isner is dangerous. But can't see him having any chance at all to win a slam. He's only made the quarters once.

Evan77
03-16-2012, 07:44 PM
meh, watch Djokovic destroying him tomorrow. I like Isner but he is just not good enough. and no Isner is not dangerous to top guys...

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 11:17 AM
meh, watch Djokovic destroying him tomorrow. I like Isner but he is just not good enough. and no Isner is not dangerous to top guys...

Are you watching this???????

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 11:33 AM

So far in the middle of second set , isner has 14 net approaches.

He is 11-14

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Told Ya !!!!!!!!!!!

Cup8489
03-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Isner trolling Evan77 with that W. LOL.

Towser83
03-17-2012, 12:59 PM
well he was right lol

Tammo
03-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Wow do Djokovic and Fed already fallen to Little John. Nadal and Muaay next

okdude1992
03-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Well JMac was totally right. Isner is dangerous and in any given match can beat anybody. But I still say he hasn't prooven whether he can maintain this level for consecutive matches in a slam.

okdude1992
03-17-2012, 01:02 PM
oh, and notice how he beat djokovic. a barrage of serves and forehands, and some big returns as well. he didn't win by serving and volleying

kishnabe
03-17-2012, 01:05 PM
oh, and notice how he beat djokovic. a barrage of serves and forehands, and some big returns as well. he didn't win by serving and volleying

He did not S and V per say. At least he forced this issue at the net with delicate droppers and sharp angled volleys.

Murrayalmagrofan
03-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Prophetic words by Johnny Mac!!!!

okdude1992
03-17-2012, 01:08 PM
He did not S and V per say. At least he forced this issue at the net with delicate droppers and sharp angled volleys.

I agree. But Volley King has been calling him a Serve and Volleyer, which he isn't

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I agree. But Volley King has been calling him a Serve and Volleyer, which he isn't

By today's standards he is .

Could be an all courter but its close.

He has so many aces there's not that much opportunity to come to net. But he does come to net a lot and finishes point at net a lot.

Rozroz
03-17-2012, 02:18 PM
suddenly it's not 'bandwagon Mac', huh?
how convenient.

Fedex
03-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Shouldn't credit go to Batz, literally? The only guy to put his money where his mouth is.
All very well predicting this and that but laying down the bucks. That's true faith.

kiki
03-17-2012, 02:36 PM
What big 4 mac means? is he seeing double again?

kaku
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Isnet does not S&V. He occasionally comes to net. When he is at net for 95% of his first serve points, he can be considered one

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Isnet does not S&V. He occasionally comes to net. When he is at net for 95% of his first serve points, he can be considered one

Except that 95% of his serve points are aces or missed returns. :-)

Sid_Vicious
03-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Mac's ego will expand to the biblical proportions after this. He will never hear the end of this in future matches where he is commentating

"I said it back then and I will say it again...."

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Mac's ego will expand to the biblical proportions after this. He will never hear the end of this in future matches where he is commentating

LOL !!!!

Crisstti
03-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Lol, true. :D

I like the commentators in Spanish a lot, but I would like to hear Mac commenting matches sometimes...

Bjorn99
03-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Isner is more entertaining than most Green Giant players because he has fluid, beautiful hands. To me, he is the American male, Lindsay Davenport. Amazing ball striker who keeps himself in as good condition as possible, but who is just NOT genetically blessed to run.

Whoever is training him is doing a wonderful job, because these types usually get injured easily.

Outbeyond
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Johnnie Mac knows a thing or two....:)

jackson vile
03-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow, talk about eating crow.

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
SAN JOSE, CALIF. — He called his 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-2 Davis Cup upset of Roger Federer the biggest win of his life.  And for good reason.  After all, John Isner had just nullified the 16-time Slam champ on enemy turf, taking down the Swiss master on the clay of Fribourg, giving his American teammates some unexpected momentum en route to a 5-0 World Group shocker.
On Monday night at the SAP Open, where John McEnroe appeared in an exo showdown with Gael Monfils, Jack Sock and reigning NCAA champion Steve Johnson, the Hall of Famer called Isner’s achievement well deserved.
“Isner is a guy who, when the top four look at a draw, they go, ‘Where’s Isner? We don’t want any part of him.’  They believe they’ll beat him, but they’d prefer someone else to do it,” said McEnroe, who teamed with the 19-year-old Sock to top Monfils/Johnson 6-4, 6-4.
Does Isner — in this golden age of Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray — have the stuff to compete for a Slam title?
“I think so.  I really do,” said McEnroe, just days away from his 53rd birthday.  “I believe he can get to a semi or a final, given the right set of circumstances.  The problem with John is that he makes it a little more difficult for himself because he sort of wants to show that he can hit groundstrokes with these guys.  I think he’d better off playing more like Pete Sampras, where he would unnerve these guys, not give them rhythm, drive these people absolutely bananas.  Maybe he’ll do that.”
“He’s a great kid,” McEnroe continued.  “He’s already at No. 14.  I always thought he could get to the top 10.  I don’t know if he can win something, but believe me, he’s THE most dangerous guy out there on the tour.  I love the fact that he went and did what he did [in Switzerland] because he deserves it.  And it says something: maybe someone can go to college and succeed.”

Was made such a long time ago I had to post it again.

Props to McEnroe .

Joseph L. Barrow
03-18-2012, 12:37 AM
No he didn't.

Rozroz
03-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Whoever is training him is doing a wonderful job, because these types usually get injured easily.

sorry but this will sooner or later happen.
he looks fragile like with his straw legs, many times playing with those big ankle supports on BOTH legs. every 5 setter he almost falling of his feet from exhaustion, barely able to serve.
not a good start i would say.

Fedex
03-18-2012, 01:46 AM
sorry but this will sooner or later happen.
he looks fragile like with his straw legs, many times playing with those big ankle supports on BOTH legs. every 5 setter he almost falling of his feet from exhaustion, barely able to serve.
not a good start i would say.

Isner was still serving aces after 136 games in the fifth set against Mahut but what do we with a lack of knowledge about tennis know?

Rozroz
03-18-2012, 02:03 AM
Isner was still serving aces after 136 games in the fifth set against Mahut but what do we with a lack of knowledge about tennis know?

standing and serving for a whole match was not what i meant.
i meant a grinding game.

Fedex
03-18-2012, 02:10 AM
standing and serving for a whole match was not what i meant.
i meant a grinding game.

Whatever you call it, the fact is the top 4 struggle against Isner, a top 4 amoungst the strongest in the history of tennis.
Man that says a lot about Isner and the fact that he's more than just a serve.

Benhur
03-18-2012, 04:09 AM
I see McEnroe said this about a month ago. He's right. The truth is nobody even likes to run into someone like Karlovic, even if his ground game is almost nonexistent. Isner has nearly as good a serve, and his ground game is 1000 times better that Ivo's. He can also volley. Definitely, you'd like somebody else to beat him if possible.

http://www.insidetennis.com/2012/02/johnny-mac-big-4-fear-isner/
“Isner is a guy who, when the top four look at a draw, they go, ‘Where’s Isner? We don’t want any part of him.’ They believe they’ll beat him, but they’d prefer someone else to do it,” [...] “I believe he can get to a semi or a final, given the right set of circumstances. The problem with John is that he makes it a little more difficult for himself because he sort of wants to show that he can hit groundstrokes with these guys. I think he’d better off playing more like Pete Sampras, where he would unnerve these guys, not give them rhythm, drive these people absolutely bananas. Maybe he’ll do that.”

nadalwon2012
03-18-2012, 04:36 AM
I agree with McEnroe mentioning Sampras as a style of game that Isner should adopt. But he is moving great and winning some very long points. He has tremendous versatility.

Rozroz
03-18-2012, 04:55 AM
I agree with McEnroe mentioning Sampras as a style of game that Isner should adopt. But he is moving great and winning some very long points. He has tremendous versatility.

you cannot be serious !!!!!

the second he's out of his comfort zone he's an UE machine.
Sampras... give me a break.. you're on the bandwagon or what?

nadalwon2012
03-18-2012, 05:05 AM
you cannot be serious !!!!!

the second he's out of his comfort zone he's an UE machine.
Sampras... give me a break.. you're on the bandwagon or what?

Nah, I was referring to McEnroe's quote, that Isner should end the points quicker like Sampras. I'm half agreeing with McEnroe but I'm also saying Isner is winning a lot of long rallies so maybe the Sampras style is not so necessary. Not talking about Sampras 'quality'. Just style, as McEnroe is too.

SLD76
03-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Nah, I was referring to McEnroe's quote, that Isner should end the points quicker like Sampras. I'm half agreeing with McEnroe but I'm also saying Isner is winning a lot of long rallies so maybe the Sampras style is not so necessary. Not talking about Sampras 'quality'. Just style, as McEnroe is too.

= I hope and pray he beats Fed. Cant believe Nadal lost to fed...DAMMIT!

interjim
03-18-2012, 05:06 AM
When I watch Isner play my knees ache.

nadalwon2012
03-18-2012, 05:14 AM
= I hope and pray he beats Fed. Cant believe Nadal lost to fed...DAMMIT!

If Isner is anything like Tsonga/prime-Soderling/Berdych he won't beat Federer. These top 10 guys tend to only have one big win in them per event. Taking care of 2 top4 guys, seems impossible for their concentration spans. Federer has already said that Isner only won Davis Cup because of the conditions. We'll see.

nethawkwenatchee
03-18-2012, 08:29 AM

I didn't really take it that way. He's just saying that Pete had an extraordinay way of shortening points by hitting a good first volley and making the opponent so uncomfortable that they miss or hit another high volley set-up (we all know Pete's running forehand and slice backhand were great too)