PDA

View Full Version : Priority One Stringing and Customization; Ask your questions here

drakulie
03-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey everyone. I spoke to Ron Yu of Priority One Stringing and Customization service, and the guys have agreed to give me a "behind the scenes" look at their work while they are in Miami for the Sony Ericsson.

Priority One consists of Ron Yu, Nate Ferguson, and Glynn Roberts. For those of you who are not aware, Priority One provides stringing and customization for players such as Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Djokovic, Tsonga, etc, etc, etc.

If you have any questions/comments you would like to me to ask when I meet up with them, please leave them here, and I will do my best to get answers for you. When I am done, I will start a thread with photos/vids, answers to your questions, and of course a report on the behind the scenes.

Thanks!

zapvor
03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
thanks drak!

can you please ask them how much lead, if any Fed has in his frame, and the static weight?

bertrevert
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Obviously they listen to the player's wishes first and foremost but do they ever find themselves suggesting solutions? If they do, then can they give any examples of a customisation suggestion?

(and how they arrived at their suggestion - I'm wondering how they think it through?)

TimothyO
03-16-2012, 02:59 AM
1. What's their approach to achieving the most even stringbed tension and performance?

2. If and when a client changes frames what's their process to determining customization? do they spend time courtside with a client? Or do they get the target specs from the client?

3. What level of detail do they get from clients for stringing instructions? For example, in hybrids, do they get instructions as to which tie off points to use?

Irvin
03-16-2012, 03:30 AM
'drakulie' Thanks for doing this I have two questions

1 - Which is most important to match up in a racket?
a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

2 - Is the swing weight for all players computed from the same reference point 10 cm from the butt or do they use different distances for different players?

Rabbit
03-16-2012, 04:01 AM
do players even know or care? or do they just say...make it like this one

Torres
03-16-2012, 04:02 AM
What do they think of L-Tec's 'secret sauce' stringing method?

(I guess they'll probably be too polite to answer)

Or to put the question in a potentially less controversial way, why do they not string with different tension differentials across the different mains, the different crosses etc, for any of the pros that they string for? Have they tried it? What have been their experiences?

origmarm
03-16-2012, 04:43 AM
1. What's their approach to achieving the most even stringbed tension and performance?

3. What level of detail do they get from clients for stringing instructions? For example, in hybrids, do they get instructions as to which tie off points to use?

I second these two.

I'd also be interested to hear if clients specify particular ATW patterns if any use them as I've seen different ones used by different tournament stringing companies.

Lastly do they travel with an RDC? Other large kit? I know they use Bab Star series machines as they can transport them and take the base off but not if they take any other large kit?

Hominator
03-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks for doing this, Drakulie.

1. What tips do they have for home stringers

2. What kind of machine do they recommend for someone getting in to home stringing?

Thanks!

Pavlos
03-16-2012, 06:16 AM

a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

2 - Is the swing weight for all players computed from the same reference point 10 cm from the butt or do they use different distances for different players?

I'd love an answer to these questions too.

esgee48
03-16-2012, 07:10 AM
And now that we have inundated them with questions, we should thank P1 in advance. :twisted:

Power Player
03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Drak, ill be staying on key biscane the 21st and 22nd..when will you be there?

ART ART
03-16-2012, 07:29 AM

a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

This would be nice to know...

Thanks

Xpherex
03-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Have they ever customized Yonex RQiS Tour 1 (As some say Hewitt didn't use it, only PJ)? If they did what was the setup? (weight, balance, swing weight, etc...)

topspin18
03-16-2012, 01:17 PM
If u could ask if more players are starting to go back to a hybrid with natural gut again?

Power Player
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
My question would be how they match up swingweight to the players build, height and experience level.

Basically any tips on finding the proper swingweight.

Radicalized
03-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Drakulie:

I'd like to hear their thoughts on grip sizes and shapes in regard to today's racquets and player power and styles (i.e. how they fit them, is a customized shape better?, etc...) Does it affect serves in any way?

Also, and this has nothing (for me) to do with any "special" stringing methods not to be named now, but just their thoughts on low(er) tensions for polys (when using a full bed). I've been stringing them in the upper 40s...because it works for me, to leave it at something simple.

Thanks.

J.Lee42
03-17-2012, 05:58 PM
My question would be: how do they make their customizing so perfect?

jgreen06
03-17-2012, 06:12 PM
How do they choose what pallet/grip shape to use? Is there some "golden frame" from their junior days that the players give them to duplicate or does P1 have a library of tons of shapes for them to try out?

Thanks drak

drakulie
03-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Great questions guys/gals. I'll make sure to do my best in getting some insight.

Thanks, and keep em coming.

bigmatt
03-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Rick, I'd like to know what their greatest customization challenge was from a layer, and what the strangest request they've had was.

tistrapukcipeht
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
What are the specs of their customers racquets (lol) ?

its_me_leon
03-18-2012, 04:56 AM
When they make custom grip/handle I guess they make a mold of the players favourite grip including Base grip? So when the customized grip is ready player only uses overgrip?

FEDERERNADAL13
03-18-2012, 06:33 AM
How many new rackets does Fed get per tourney?

How much do you love your job?

mixedmedia
03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
What do they think of L-Tec's 'secret sauce' stringing method?

(I guess they'll probably be too polite to answer)

Or to put the question in a potentially less controversial way, why do they not string with different tension differentials across the different mains, the different crosses etc, for any of the pros that they string for? Have they tried it? What have been their experiences?

I doubt they'll answer this, but it would be interesting to see if they would.

Smac1221
03-18-2012, 04:27 PM

a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

This would be important for the at homers trying to modify their set up...I third this request.

mixedmedia
03-18-2012, 05:03 PM
I think the "thirding" is actually the motion for recognition, but I might be wrong.

sixone90
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
What racquet does Ron, Nate and Glynn play with?

Also, someone who knows Ron would like to know, do you still calculate your swingweight by taking the average of 10 swingweights?

scotus
03-19-2012, 08:20 PM
When building custom handles, what material do they use?

I'd like specifics. For example, if polyurethane expanding foam, what type, density, durometer, etc.

ben123
03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
the recent string setups + tensions if possible. that would be interesting i guess..

ofc not from federer as nearly everyone knows what he uses.

and btw so you were not in delray drak? because im missing the promised thread ;)

Wikky
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
When are they going to start accepting interns.... don't judge me.

scotus
03-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Also, please ask them what staple gun they use to staple butt caps.

Hopefully something other than Hansen Tacker and Craftsman 9.6V.

Irvin
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I have another question. Is there any method to the madness for SW, total weight, and balance point depending on the player's style of play and strokes? For instance would a base liner want a higher weight and swing weight that a serve and volley player? Would a short swing want a lighter weight and swing weight than a long swing?

000KFACTOR90000
03-24-2012, 01:12 AM
.............................oops, scotus beat me to it, thanks drakulie (stapler model for pallet changes)

Kot_Bigemot
03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Hey Drak.
I have kind of a silly question but, i am VERY curious to find out. What brand/type of tape do they use to wrap plastic bags with? It looks like a light blue tape.
I'd greatly appreciate if you could answer that.
Thanks.

gatorbait01
04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Great thread Drak, any updates?

sixone90
04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Was wondering the same thing

ben123
04-05-2012, 05:02 AM
drakulie actually only wanted to troll us with this thread

Irvin
04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I wonder if he just forgot to tell us it was a joke on April 1st?

Kot_Bigemot
04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
No, he is not THAT type of guy. I am sure he is just busy stringing.

stringwalla
04-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey Drak, I was stringing on site at the Sony-E. Seems that there is an understood "hush-hush" as far as player frame specs. Not sure what P1 is allowed to divulge.

RPNY was on site to customize their contracted players and most other qualifier/main draw players used the on site Luxilon stringing services to prepare the frames for match play-

RPNY is now off to Monte Carlo for the Davis Cup-

gatorbait01
04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Would the hush, hush be due to the players not wanting their specs divulged, or the racket manufacters not wanting lay people to know the pros rackets specs are different than what they endorse?

Or some other reason?

PBODY99
04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey Drak.
I have kind of a silly question but, i am VERY curious to find out. What brand/type of tape do they use to wrap plastic bags with? It looks like a light blue tape.
Thanks.

From the way it doesn't seem to tear the plastic, it is either painters tape or drafting tape. Both are designed to be remove without leaving a residue.
This is what I use http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=100166232&catEntryId=100166232

Kot_Bigemot
04-06-2012, 05:18 PM
From the way it doesn't seem to tear the plastic, it is either painters tape or drafting tape. Both are designed to be remove without leaving a residue.
This is what I use http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=100166232&catEntryId=100166232

I use the same exact thing but, P1's tape looks like it is more clear. Sort of clear bluish...

lidoazndiabloboi
04-06-2012, 11:57 PM
yeah it seems clear-ish to me. could it be something like vinyl tape?

stringwalla
04-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Would the hush, hush be due to the players not wanting their specs divulged, or the racket manufacters not wanting lay people to know the pros rackets specs are different than what they endorse?

Or some other reason?

See a lot of things that would surprise a consumer. Brands, string, and frames are sometimes not as they appear on TV-

gavna
04-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Hey Drak.
Thanks.

Just curious as to why it matters???? why the interest on what kind of bags or tape they would use?

Kot_Bigemot
04-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Just curious as to why it matters???? why the interest on what kind of bags or tape they would use?

I do not care what bags they use. To answer your question about tape - it is simple. I saw a tape that i could not tell what it was. So, naturally i wanted to find out.
And NO, it does not matter, not to me anyway. When i see something i do not know or never saw, i try to find out what it is.
Hope that answers your question.

Happy Easter guys!

andtapes
05-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Any news from Drakulie?

SwankPeRFection
05-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Here's a question....

Why doesn't P1 sell their leather grips to the public and not force us to send in a racquet just to have a grip installed? :roll:

drakulie
05-05-2012, 11:20 PM
sorry for the delay guys. I've been extremely busy stringing at shop, club, home and tourneys, but will be posting a thread in the next few days. Ron and Nate were both extremely gracious with their time, and very nice guys. I want to make sure I complete a good thread and didn't want to just rush it.

Kot, painters tape.

Kot_Bigemot
05-06-2012, 03:11 AM
sorry for the delay guys. I've been extremely busy stringing at shop, club, home and tourneys, but will be posting a thread in the next few days. Ron and Nate were both extremely gracious with their time, and very nice guys. I want to make sure I complete a good thread and didn't want to just rush it.

Kot, painters tape.

Thanks Drak.
Are you sure? Because tape does not look like it is painters tape - it looks smooth and clear, like a synthetic type tape.
Thanks again man. Yeah, i am busy stringing too - tennis becomes more popular...or i just get a better reputation around town :)

andtapes
05-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Kot, painters tape.

Thank you take your time

smark.tennis
05-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Hey everyone. I spoke to Ron Yu of Priority One Stringing and Customization service, and the guys have agreed to give me a "behind the scenes" look at their work while they are in Miami for the Sony Ericsson.

Priority One consists of Ron Yu, Nate Ferguson, and Glynn Roberts. For those of you who are not aware, Priority One provides stringing and customization for players such as Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Djokovic, Tsonga, etc, etc, etc.

If you have any questions/comments you would like to me to ask when I meet up with them, please leave them here, and I will do my best to get answers for you. When I am done, I will start a thread with photos/vids, answers to your questions, and of course a report on the behind the scenes.

Thanks!
Dear Drak! May be you may answer. I did ask the following question once:"My son of 13 y.o. Playing tennis and after few tests we found out that he prefers guts-poly hybrid and best of all tour bite and b5e.this summer I am going to send him to play few tournaments with a group, where I don't think that he or smb may care about hybrid stringing. So my question is if it is possible to find a good and similar substitution to above setup, but using one string for a full bed". But to get an answer I'd like to simplify it: what is your recommendations for competitive junior who used to nat gut-poly setup to use in a full bed. I need to buy a reel for him before he goes on the trip. So please advise. He plays with Volkl O10L customized with a few grams at 12,9,3 hours and leather grip. He is all court player with an instinct to go forward and was tought to finish points from inside of the court and be patient at the baseline. I do string mostly myself for him, but on a trip his racquet will be strung like often on junior tournaments without additional care, so to give him nat.gut or any hybrid which is very sensitive to be strung correctly is worthless IMHO. I may get any string reel so you free to recommend anything you count the best. He will play mainly on red clay. If any additional question you may have to give an advise I am ready to answer.

sixone90
08-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Any updates?

drakulie
08-04-2012, 07:04 PM
^^after cincinnatti.

sixone90
08-06-2012, 04:31 PM
^^after cincinnatti.

Alrighty. Looking forward to it!

Rabbit
08-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Absolutely! Have a big time in Cincy....if you get a chance, downtown is pretty cool

schap02
08-08-2012, 03:17 AM
My only question for P1 - Drak - I've hear they also have a program for amateurs/sponsored juniors - is there a racquet minimum for customization, say 6-12 frames?

Good luck at Cincy, I pray no ALU Rough in Prestige Mids @ 60 lbs for you.

PED
08-09-2012, 07:13 AM
I've hear they also have a program for amateurs/sponsored juniors - is there a racquet minimum for customization, say 6-12 frames?

Here's a thread from a few years back, a jr had his PSL's modded by P1. Pics are in there as well. Think it was around 60 per stick.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=274922

sixone90
08-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Cincy is now over!

ART ART
08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Yes... it would be nice to see some news of it ;)

rolliges
01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Bump.

Awaiting this information....

drakulie
01-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Bump.

Awaiting this information....

rolliges, I wrote a fairly extensive article here, including some photos.

Priority One, Stringing & Customizing, and The Hall Of Fame
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438964

Hope you enjoy.

rolliges
01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks I did read ( a few times) and enjoy the Hall of Fame post. Love the pictures too.

However, there are some questions on this thread that would be great to hear P1's opinion on. Specifically the question by Irvin:

a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

Thanks again.

drakulie
01-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks I did read ( a few times) and enjoy the Hall of Fame post. Love the pictures too.

However, there are some questions on this thread that would be great to hear P1's opinion on. Specifically the question by Irvin:

a - Swing weight
b - Static weight
c - Balance point
d - Racket length
e - All of the above

Thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed the thread. However, I did kind of answer this in the write up. Here is the portion where I answer the "meat" of your question.

When asked about racquet specs in order of importance, Nate and Ron agree that most important is the swing weight, followed by the weight and ultimately balance, although length of a racquet plays a vital role that canít be overlooked and could at times drastically change all of these. Of course, there is also flex and lastly the feel of a racquet, which is personal to each player and how they perceive it.

rolliges
01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks.

But wouldn't it be cool to listen to them talk all day with authority about these topics?

Just love to soak up any knowledge available.

Thanks again

-R

RJYU
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
To clarify things. If the flex is wrong, there is nothing one can do to make a racquet "feel" right. Also, racquet length needs to be correct at the start of the final stages of customizing. All the different parameters need to work together to get to a final end product. However, if something needs to change slightly due to whatever restrictions are placed upon me, I'm willing to change balance by a few millimeters rather than change swing weight or total weight.

Irvin
01-18-2013, 05:57 AM
To clarify things. If the flex is wrong, there is nothing one can do to make a racquet "feel" right. Also, racquet length needs to be correct at the start of the final stages of customizing. All the different parameters need to work together to get to a final end product. However, if something needs to change slightly due to whatever restrictions are placed upon me, I'm willing to change balance by a few millimeters rather than change swing weight or total weight.

Ron thanks for the response, but how can you change balance without changing either SW or total weight? I think you could move the weight to change balance without changing TW but the SW will change (although it may be so slight the PPTC can't detect it.) All the more reson to match SW, BP, TW, and length. You could add or remove weight to change balance and keep the SW the same but TW changes then. You could also change the balance point by increasing or decreasing total length but then your SW should change also.

I have never played around with a PPTC but how much can you move the balance point without changing the SW +\- 1 cm2kg?