PDA

View Full Version : What is a good light easy to maneuver racquet yet kind of solid?

racquet88
03-16-2012, 01:10 AM
A)I am a woman starting to play the 4.0 leagues. I like to swing fast in a loop whenever i can , i have skinny arms and very skinny wrist and i haven't found a racquet a feel totally comfy while hitting. I am still adjusting my technique so maybe it has something to do, but i really want something i can progress while feeling good.

B)I belong to the club that likes to get old version of good performance racquets online. I never get the newest model. Way to many options out there.

Thank You for your help

spaceman_spiff
03-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Rather than guessing at random, it will be easier to recommend a frame if we know what you currently use and what you like/dislike about it.

For example, if we know you use Frame X and like the size and flex but not the weight and balance, we can suggest a similar frame with a different weight. Or, if you like the weight and balance but want a bigger/smaller head, that narrows down the search.

SystemicAnomaly
03-16-2012, 02:11 AM
How about the Prince O3 Red?

If you really have a fairly fast swing, you should stay away from ultra-light racquets. In the long run, most of them will damage your arm -- particularly your shoulder and elbow. The problem with light rackets is that they usually vibrate more and tend to deliver more shock to the arm. (No, a string dampener will not help at all).

I recall the you had asked about the Red in the past. Did that not suit you? I would not suggest anything lighter than 10.5 oz. You probably don't want a lower swingweight either. If you are willing to go up to 11 oz with a slightly higher swingweight you might consider the Prince O3 Hybrid Shark (midplus) or the slightly lighter Volkl V1 Classic.

The Vokl racquet has a similar swingweight to the Red O3. It has an exceptional shock dampening system which gives it a very cushioned feel and makes it extremely arm-friendly. The Hybrid Shark is an excellent choice as well. I believe that Sharapova was using a Prince Shark some years back. TW has the Hybrid shark on sale for $75. I'd probably stay away from the OS version. The O3 Hybrid Hornet might be a good alternative to the Shark.

chollyred
03-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Second the O3 Red or one of it's variants (Speedport, Speedzone, Ozone 7, Exo3). They're right at 10.5 oz with around a 315 gm swingweight. Fairly powerful depending on how it's strung.

Another option would be the Head MG Radical OS. It 11.0 oz 318 gm swingwweight. Low powered but very flexible frame.

If you're playing 4.0, you're strokes and game should be pretty good. Depending on your power and grip preference, either of these should fit your game pretty well, and both can be bought for under $90 new, or around $50-$60 used.

I have both and am currently playing the Red as I prefer the Prince grip shape.

TennisCJC
03-16-2012, 06:53 AM
If you like thin beam feel, then these are good light but solid rackets:
1. Volkl Organix 10 295 (new $$$)
2. Dunlop Bio 300 (new $$$)
3. Dunlop 4d AG 300 (old model $)
Thicker beam feel:
4. Wilson Pro Open (old model $$)
5. Prince o3 white (old model $)
6. Pirnce o3 red (old model $)
7. Prince O3 hybrid hornet mid+ (old model $)

Demo, demo, and demo before you buy. I have not played all of these but have demo-ed or owned several. All are very good rackets. Not mentioned above but Head Radical is also an excellent light thin beamed racket. It is a bit of a standard but still high quality racket. The RAD MG version is older and low cost too.

acura9927
03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Wilson Pro Staff Blx 6.1 100

LeeD
03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Dunlop 500's, 10 oz, good power, big dose of control.

tistrapukcipeht
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
I would say Yonex EZONE Xi Lite

USS Tang
03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
I recommend the Prince EXO3 Red 105. It weighs about 10.4 ounces and has a 105 square-inch head. It is 27.25 inches long. I am a male, but not of particulary strong build. This racket is easy to swing and delivers a lot of power.

wao
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
A)I am a woman starting to play the 4.0 leagues. I like to swing fast in a loop whenever i can , i have skinny arms and very skinny wrist and i haven't found a racquet a feel totally comfy while hitting. I am still adjusting my technique so maybe it has something to do, but i really want something i can progress while feeling good.

B)I belong to the club that likes to get old version of good performance racquets online. I never get the newest model. Way to many options out there.

Thank You for your helpWhat is your current racquet? The Head Rad O/S or MP. Babolat has a couple, the Pure Drive or lite version as well as the others have mentioned.

SystemicAnomaly
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I would say Yonex EZONE Xi Lite

With a strung weight of 10.2 oz and a swingeight of 299 this could be asking for trouble for your shoulder/arm unless you do not swing very fast or hit very hard. If you hit against players who hit with a fair amount of pace it can also be a problem. It might not bother you too much for a couple of years but, eventually, it could take its toll.

LeeD
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Thoiught OP was a 4.0 WOMAN. Even at 4.5, no big hitters that overpower a 10 oz racket. At 5.5, yes, of course, but that's well in the future.

SystemicAnomaly
03-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Thoiught OP was a 4.0 WOMAN. Even at 4.5, no big hitters that overpower a 10 oz racket. At 5.5, yes, of course, but that's well in the future.

I know some 3.5 men and 4.0 women who have developed shoulder issues with a 10 oz racket. It took a number of years but even with decent mechanics it can become a very serious problem for some/many players.

decades
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
I like the older O3 Red idea.

acura9927
03-16-2012, 03:52 PM
With a strung weight of 10.2 oz and a swingeight of 299 this could be asking for trouble for your shoulder/arm unless you do not swing very fast or hit very hard. If you hit against players who hit with a fair amount of pace it can also be a problem. It might not bother you too much for a couple of years but, eventually, it could take its toll.

I agree with this, a couple of summers ago I bought a light as a feather Wilson racquet from Sports Authority ( had no clue about tennis racquets at the time) and literally hurt my arm trying to serve. Felt like my shoulder was going to fly off on groundstrokes.

LeeD
03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Doesn't Cibulkova use a Dunlop Lite? Under 10 oz?
She probably practices a bit, and plays against players who hit as big as anyone alive. Just personal preference.
I use a 10 oz Aero500, for a full year now, and it seems fine on my arm. But I don't practice 25 hours a week.

SystemicAnomaly
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
^ An overuse injury of the shoulder with a light racket could take several years to manifest as it did with me and others that I know. It could even take more than 5 yrs. I don't believe the risk is worth the injury.

tlm
03-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't know about the light racket bothering the shoulder. But since i have been using a 12 ounce racket my shoulder has been bothering which it never did with a lighter racket.

Avadia
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Consider the Wilson Pro Open. My wife is a 3.5 player and sounds like similar build to you. She loves that racquet. It is heavy enough to be stable, but not too heavy and has a fair amount of power.

SystemicAnomaly
03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't know about the light racket bothering the shoulder. But since i have been using a 12 ounce racket my shoulder has been bothering which it never did with a lighter racket.

How light are you talking about? A 12 oz racket would bother my shoulder as well. The 10 oz racket would take longer to bother my shoulder. I'm much better off with something around 11 oz (but less than 11.5 oz). SW, stiffness and shock dampening are also factors.

Heavier frames vibrate less on impact. They tend to deliver less shock to the arm/shoulder.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/BasicFacts.html
http://tennis.about.com/od/racquetsballsstringing/a/weighracreviews_3.htm

coolblue123
03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
try the bb London. amazingly stable for a 11oz stick. it swings alot light than 11oz racquet.
if u have a loopy style swings, try a vantage bast core 30. light racquet with a very open string pattern as well.

sansaephanh
03-16-2012, 09:50 PM
The rebels. Most of the 315 gram range rackets people will tell you about as well.

tlm
03-17-2012, 06:22 AM
How light are you talking about? A 12 oz racket would bother my shoulder as well. The 10 oz racket would take longer to bother my shoulder. I'm much better off with something around 11 oz (but less than 11.5 oz). SW, stiffness and shock dampening are also factors.

Heavier frames vibrate less on impact. They tend to deliver less shock to the arm/shoulder.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/BasicFacts.html

I never used anything under 11 ounces.

forthegame
03-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Have a look here and see if you like anything on the list: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/usedracquets.html

SystemicAnomaly
03-17-2012, 08:48 AM
I never used anything under 11 ounces.

Sounds like a good idea. Which 11+ oz rackets seem to be ok for your shoulder?

darklore009
03-17-2012, 09:31 AM
The wilson steam 100 is a maneuverable racket.

tlm
03-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Which 11+ oz rackets seem to be ok for your shoulder?

The donnay rackets were pretty nice and comfy.

Devilito
03-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Pure Drive is a good choice if you want to maintain some sort of stability and power while using a light racquet. There is a good reason a lot of female pros use it (apart from the obvious, money)

SystemicAnomaly
03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
The donnay rackets were pretty nice and comfy.

Rather pricey too but have heard good things about them. Which ones did you try?

Chyeaah
03-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Solid or stable?

I would go with the 100S or the babolat's. Pure storms are good, but we need more information. Alot of tweeners are light and easy to maneuver, I find the 2012 PD and 100S both solid sticks, the Pro Open is kindof iffy on the offcenter shots.

li0scc0
03-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Heavy racquets will bother the shoulder more than light ones. The heavier racquets generally protect against tennis elbow better than the light ones.

The top female player on our D1 team uses a Prince White LITE...10 ounces. she has no issues generating pace nor absorbing her opponent's pace.

If you (original poster) want a lighter racquet, feel free to check them out. I love the ideas of others re the Prince O3 Red, a nice racquet. If you want a smaller headsize, Yonex has some great offerings. And don't forget Pacific, the X Force Comp might fit the bill if you want something very arm friendly.

SystemicAnomaly
03-17-2012, 08:31 PM
She probably practices a bit, and plays against players who hit as big as anyone alive. Just personal preference.
I use a 10 oz Aero500, for a full year now, and it seems fine on my arm. But I don't practice 25 hours a week.

Heavy racquets will bother the shoulder more than light ones. The heavier racquets generally protect against tennis elbow better than the light ones.

The top female player on our D1 team uses a Prince White LITE...10 ounces. she has no issues generating pace nor absorbing her opponent's pace.

I have to vehemently disagree with this. It is true that a racket that is too heavy can bother a shoulder that is not up to the task. Injury, anatomy and mechanics have a lot to do with this.

The problem with a very light racquet is that it can deliver quite a bit of shock to the shoulder and arm when the ball is impacted (particularly on off-center hits). The problem often exacerbated because ultra-light rackets are typically head-heavy. The light weight and head-heaviness will both contribute to Shoulder Crunch. Shoulder crunch is directly proportional to Frame Shock.

The problems with light rackets is that the damaging effect to the shoulder and arm can be very insidious. It may seem fine right now -- the effects can take a while to manifest. That D1 player may get away with that 10 oz racket for several years. However, there is a very good chance that she will have a serious over-use shoulder injury by the time she is in her mid 30s. Perhaps a lot sooner than that.

http://www.racquetresearch.com/sevencri.htm#lightweight
http://www.racquetresearch.com/sevencri.htm#Shock

http://www.racquetresearch.com/sevencri.htm#Shoulder%20Crunch
http://www.racquetresearch.com/sevencri.htm#Shoulder%20Pull

http://www.racquetresearch.com/complete_idiot.htm

Avadia
03-18-2012, 07:25 AM
The problem with a very light racquet is that it can deliver quite a bit of shock to the shoulder and arm when the ball is impacted (particularly on off-center hits). The problem often exacerbated because ultra-light rackets are typically head-heavy. The light weight and head-heaviness will both contribute to Shoulder Crunch. Shoulder crunch is directly proportional to Frame Shock.

The problems with light rackets is that the damaging effect to the shoulder and arm can be very insidious. It may seem fine right now -- the effects can take a while to manifest.

The other problem with this is that light racquets tend to be a lot stiffer in order to maintain power ratios. A heavy racquet often has more flex. Stiffer racquets are going to cause more shoulder and elbow injuries over time than flexier racquets. Light, head heavy, stiff racquets are much more dangerous for your joints than a heavier, head light, flexible racquet.

SystemicAnomaly
03-19-2012, 02:41 AM

Perhaps you should warn that D1 player of the problems indicated in the 2 previous posts.

She probably practices a bit, and plays against players who hit as big as anyone alive. Just personal preference...

Apparently Cibulkova has been using the Dunlop Biomimetic 600 Lite for a few years now. I believe that she did experience some shoulder problems for several weeks a year or two ago. That could just be a coincidence tho'. I noticed that this racket, like other Biomimetic frames use the HM6 Carbon technology -- this employs a high modulus carbon fibers in a honeycomb (hexagonal) structure between layers of Aerogel-enhanced carbon. Perhaps this technology partially offsets the frame shock inherent in very light rackets. Time will tell if it is enough of a countermeasure.

sunof tennis
03-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Threee come to mind.
The Head Radical MP
The new BPX PS 95
The BB London MP

All are traditional control racquets but are under the 12 oz. range.
All are also fairly goood on the arm

li0scc0
03-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Perhaps you should warn that D1 player of the problems indicated in the 2 previous posts.

The D1 player switched to a 10 ounce racquet from a 11.9 ounce racquet due to her shoulder problems experience while using the 11.9 ounce racquet.

After the switch, problems gone.

ArliHawk
03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Dunlop Biomimetic 600 or Pure Drive Lite could be options.

cknobman
03-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Lite

< 320 Swingweight
~ 11.6 static strung weight

Super stable and hits like a dream. Personally I think it is not a racquet for people who prefer full poly string jobs and more for people who prefer syn gut/multi and hybrid jobs.

Power Player
03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Wilson Pro Open (2010 model is the same as new one..so you will like that)

Babolat Pure Drive.

li0scc0
03-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Wilson Pro Open (2010 model is the same as new one..so you will like that)

Babolat Pure Drive.

Good call here, Power Player.

I will add to his 'power' list the new Pacific X Fast. Hits like a Pure Drive (maybe a bit less pop) but with more comfort.

SystemicAnomaly
03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
The D1 player switched to a 10 ounce racquet from a 11.9 ounce racquet due to her shoulder problems experience while using the 11.9 ounce racquet.

After the switch, problems gone.

The problem is gone for NOW. For the reasons stated previously, her new racquet could result in shoulder problems some time down the road. Might be better off with a higher swingweight or a racket around 10.5 to 11 oz.