PDA

View Full Version : What expertise does Annacone offer to Federer to beat Nadal?

monfed
03-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Do you think Annacone's made any difference or can make any difference in terms of strategy that Federer can use to beat Nadal? Has he really helped Fed in overcoming this obstacle on slow high bouncing courts?

Rozroz
03-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Interesting.
Who knows?

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Yes, Federer is starting Fedal matches stronger than ever. Up 5-2 in the 2011 Roland Garros final. Up a set at the 2012 AO. Seems to be a new trend.

DjokovicForTheWin
03-16-2012, 06:17 AM
Not sure Fed is really any better of with Annacone. Sure he comes in a little more, but it seems to me he misses fairly easy shots coming in as often as he makes amazing ones. He's obviously done nothing with regards to beating Nadal.

kragster
03-16-2012, 06:24 AM
I think Fed unloading on his BH is a strategy Annacone has encouraged him to do and something I see working successfully, IF Fed can stick to it. Unfortunately for Fed, sticking to a game plan has been his issue. Even when he is up against Nadal and whatever he's doing is working well, for whatever reason he switches up.

I've mentioned this before but I think a lot of geniuses are not good at being strategists because they enjoy being in the moment and playing the shot that they feel like at that moment rather than following a set strategy.

Tammo
03-16-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm not really sure a coach has much to do about Fed's game. I think it is all in Fed's head, and it is his decision.

monfed
03-16-2012, 06:28 AM
I think Fed unloading on his BH is a strategy Annacone has encouraged him to do and something I see working successfully, IF Fed can stick to it. Unfortunately for Fed, sticking to a game plan has been his issue. Even when he is up against Nadal and whatever he's doing is working well, for whatever reason he switches up.

I've mentioned this before but I think a lot of geniuses are not good at being strategists because they enjoy being in the moment and playing the shot that they feel like at that moment rather than following a set strategy.

Federer's change of strategy had a lot to do with Nadal's BH not breaking down. Infact it got better and better as the match progressed, at least that was my observation.

kaleidoskope
03-16-2012, 06:30 AM
I'm not really sure a coach has much to do about Fed's game. I think it is all in Fed's head, and it is his decision.

This...
I have the exact same feeling. A "you can lead a horse to water" kinda thing...

One thing I rarely see him doing against Rafa is slice to the backhand (DTL), for example...

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 06:32 AM

You can think of some other examples of this in tennis/sport?

above bored
03-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Do you think Annacone's made any difference or can make any difference in terms of strategy that Federer can use to beat Nadal? Has he really helped Fed in overcoming this obstacle on slow high bouncing courts?
Who can really say what Annacone's contribution has been other than the people on the inside who know exactly what is being said by whom and it's impact.

From the outside I would say that Federer's play has been good since Annacone's involvement. He has displayed good skill, won a lot of matches and played good tennis to beat and push both Djokovic and Nadal. Some of his losses to them have been in very close encounters which could have gone either way and are not necessarily due to him not playing well, just not as well on the big points. That might be just as much of a mental thing as physical.

I have noticed that his volleys have improved significantly over the passed year or two since Annacone's involvement. I don't know whether that is Annacone's contribution or just a coincidence. Maybe Annacone got him to practice them more.

In any case, there is only so much a coach can do. He cannot force the player to play a certain way, only provide advice. Most of the responsibility lies with the player. It looks like Annacone was a good addition to the team from my point of view.

Cup8489
03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
This...
I have the exact same feeling. A "you can lead a horse to water" kinda thing...

One thing I rarely see him doing against Rafa is slice to the backhand (DTL), for example...

He doesn't do it because Rafa always runs around the backhand to hit a forehand. If you look through their matches, this happens the vast majority of the time, and any advantage that hitting to the backhand is negated by Nadal being given the opportunity to hit an inside out forehand OR an inside in forehand to the Federer backhand.

Federer has made a concerted effort to hit his backhand more up the line to the Nadal backhand, something he hadn't REALLY tried against Nadal in matches before Annacone came along. This was part of the reason that he got up 5-2 in first set, pinning Rafa behind the baseline to his backhand, which opened up the forehand.

But he tends to abandon the strategies if Nadal is able to stand up to it after a period of time, and just plays in the moment, but his head gets in the way and he is unable to win.

Cormorant
03-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Annacone coached Henman to the brink of a Roland Garros final(which the Brit missed out on having been up 6-3 4-2 in the SF against Coria), which demonstrates to me he can work some serious magic against steep odds.

And Federer played his best ever RG match against Nadal with Annacone on board, so I don' think the American is detracting from his game in this specific match up.