PDA

View Full Version : Kirilenko cheats against Sharapova

tennis_pro
03-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3yLZTCBaE

I have never ever seen anyone try that on the tour until now.

PSNELKE
03-16-2012, 09:51 AM
I saw the match, seriously I have never seen anything similar to that.
That was so damn pathetic from Makiri, I certainly thought she would be better than that.

Ridiculous scene, but credit to the umpire. I absolutely liked her reaction.

pvaudio
03-16-2012, 09:55 AM
What the hell was she thinking? Before the umpire even called it, I was like "what the heck is she doing, the point isn't over...".

decades
03-16-2012, 10:02 AM
pawwthetic.

jgrushing
03-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Amazing, that was bad. Kirilenko's defense should have been that, if you're going to call it on me, you should be calling it on Sharapova every point for that insane yelling. It's just as intentional...

TheCanadian
03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
That was bizarre and stupid.

sureshs
03-16-2012, 10:13 AM
I am still not convinced it was intentional, more like something for herself to get going.

It is a hindrance though.

sportsfan1
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
I saw that, it was very odd tapping the racquet on the ground 3 or 4 times while opponent was about to hit the shot- was it something she did subconsciously? Then arguing about the penalty with the umpire was even more ridiculous - something to the effect "Have you ever played this game at this score".
But looked like Sharapova just hit through her and was playing well, so she couldn't prevent the loss.

BrooklynNY
03-16-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm going to try that in my match later, after an extended grunt.

You Can't Be Serious
03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Come on guys ! What sport do we see players banging the ground with their sticks ? Hockey ? Hmm ! Wonder where Maria got that from !

tennis_ocd
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I am still not convinced it was intentional, more like something for herself to get going.

It is a hindrance though. Agreed. But do you question why the ump had the power to prevent this? :)

cknobman
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
I watched that video over and over and over again trying to come up with a reason to think it was NOT intentional.

I cant think of one.

Pretty low by Kirilenko bush league big time.

Totai
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Its not worse than Sharapova's screeching

syke
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Pathetic...

yellowoctopus
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Come on guys ! What sport do we see players banging the ground with their sticks ? Hockey ? Hmm ! Wonder where Maria got that from !

Good point.

Regardless of the intention, or where she might have picked it up from, it's the type of behavior that should not be tolerated in tennis.

http://www.wmsportspage.com/article_images/702John%20Cotton,%20tennis,%20hockey%201.jpg

Boricua
03-16-2012, 10:59 AM

I agree. It was a reaction to pump herself. But, it could be a distraction.
And, the umpire seems like a tough New Yorker according to her accent, lol.

woodrow1029
03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Good point.

Regardless of the intention, or where she might have picked it up from, it's the type of behavior that should not be tolerated in tennis.

Hence the hindrance call.

woodrow1029
03-16-2012, 11:01 AM

She's from Czech Republic, or Croatia..

DjokovicForTheWin
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Maybe she has turrets

You Can't Be Serious
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM

People say Sharapova's screeching should not be tolerated either. I've seen Connors and other do things I don't like either, but it adds to the entertainment purpose of the sport and has people talking. The umpire stopped it. What about getting coaching from the stands. It happens all the time. That's not cheating. I'm glad the umpire caught Kirilenko but I don't look at others like they are angels.

Lemoned
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Good point.

http://www.wmsportspage.com/article_images/702John%20Cotton,%20tennis,%20hockey%201.jpg
What he/she meant was probably this (http://nbcoutofbounds.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/ovechkintweet.jpg)....

decades
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

really? couldn't wait till the point was over? people now pump themselves up mind point now?

shogun90
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM

She thought she was playing hockey with her boyfriend Ovi.:twisted:

The Pure One
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Sharapova: "It's one thing if you do it once, but I think she did it three or four times. It's not like a hockey puck or something. She forgot, I think, the sport". Ouch!

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Kirilenko, like the rest of the world is fed up with Sharapova cheating on EVERY point with that fake shriek (Sharapova makes no noise in training sessions). Sharapova - the most disgraceful person ever to be associated with tennis.

darrinbaker00
03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Amazing, that was bad. Kirilenko's defense should have been that, if you're going to call it on me, you should be calling it on Sharapova every point for that insane yelling. It's just as intentional...

Kirilenko was just as loud during the match, so that defense would not have held water.

TennisLovaLova
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Kirilenko, like the rest of the world is fed up with Sharapova cheating on EVERY point with that fake shriek (Sharapova makes no noise in training sessions). Sharapova - the most disgraceful person ever to be associated with tennis.

I totally agree

813wilson
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
The thing I found funny was earlier in the match - the commentators were saying that the two Marias were closer than most others on the WTA.

Basically that Sharapova stays way off to herself but that Kiere is one whom she'll practice with.

doubtful here on out.....

kaleidoskope
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I can't stop laughing! That is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in a tennis court, pro or amateur. My tennis teacher is a master troller when we're playing for fun and even he NEVER thought of something like that :D

I'm going to try that in my match later, after an extended grunt.

I'm with you! I'll do that tomorrow in my doubles match. I fear MY PARTNER will kick me out :D

jokinla
03-16-2012, 11:56 AM
She absolutely did it on purpose, she waited till right as she was about to hit the ball, you can clearly see it on the replay towards the end of that video, pathetic attempt.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I totally agree

17 VAMOSES
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1151/1464286562_a02132198a.jpg

scotus
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I had a guy do that to me every time I tossed for my serve.

I stopped the match midway and had a little talk with him. That set him straight.

Shaolin
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Excellent umpiring to shut down that pathetic cheating the second she did it.

purge
03-16-2012, 12:16 PM
unfortunately womens tennis is just pathetic all together nowadays :/

tennis_ocd
03-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Waves and baseline jumping jacks would've been ok... just do it quietly?

winstonplum
03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
There's an expression for that, "bush league." Although I would add, totally, ridiculously bush league. And then she has the gall to argue about it.

Boricua
03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
really? couldn't wait till the point was over? people now pump themselves up mind point now?

Kirilenko hit a shot that landed short, was in a vulnerable position and Sharapova was all over it. If she waits till the point is over, why pump up? Pump up to get to the ball, react, move, fly, etc.

sureshs
03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
She is cute, that is all that matters. We can overlook these minor faults.

Boricua
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
She is cute, that is all that matters. We can overlook these minor faults.

That is why you are G.O.A.T.

T-ennis 888
03-16-2012, 01:33 PM
There's an expression for that, "bush league." Although I would add, totally, ridiculously bush league. And then she has the gall to argue about it.

Surely "bush league" is an apt description for the WTA in general though these days and anyone with the slightest modicum of objectivity will agree with me on this.

sureshs
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Surely "bush league" is an apt description for the WTA in general though these days and anyone with the slightest modicum of objectivity will agree with me on this.

No................

Torres
03-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Horrendous cheating behaviour from Kirilenko. Even crappier attitude when she was called on it by the umpire.

I would have docked her a point.

nadalwon2012
03-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Still, you got to hand it to Kirilenko, she is very likeable, even during/after the incident. Something Sharapova never had.

sportsfan1
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Sharapova: "It's one thing if you do it once, but I think she did it three or four times. It's not like a hockey puck or something. She forgot, I think, the sport". Ouch!

Sharapova never passes up on an opportunity to diss another player.

Torres
03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Sharapova never passes up on an opportunity to diss another player.

On this occasion, she's entirely justified.

SystemicAnomaly
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM

Absurd. I have a very slight modicum of objectivity and I do not agree with you at all. :???:

TheCanadian
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Please delete post.

Cheetah
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM

... yet every single woman on the bush league WTA tour would double bagel you easily.

halalula1234
03-16-2012, 05:51 PM
fierce umpire!!! <3

decades
03-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Kirilenko hit a shot that landed short, was in a vulnerable position and Sharapova was all over it. If she waits till the point is over, why pump up? Pump up to get to the ball, react, move, fly, etc.

umm no. she cheated and was caught. it's actually quite enlightening that you continue to defend such a blatant act of desperation.

Seany
03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
We hit on the umpires so much, but i think the umpire really deserves a lot of credit in this situation.

Also nice to see Nadal getting some time violations lately.

adventure
03-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Barely audible racket tapping: a foul.

Screaming at the top of your lungs @ 120 dBA (sound level of a jet taking off) on EVERY racket swing: no problem.

WTA is a JOKE.

counterpuncher64
03-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I opened this thread hoping it would be about Kirilenko cheating on her husband/boyfriend and being back on the market. I'm leaving now disappointed

Limpinhitter
03-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Didn't Monica Seles used to tap her racquet on the court when waiting to recieve serve?

scotus
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Didn't Monica Seles used to tap her racquet on the court when waiting to recieve serve?

I don't remember, but somebody should have set her straight.

I think she is the main reason we have all these screaming female players today.

jayoub95
03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
That was ridiculous man... i thought Kirilenko was better than that. Just goes to show that even pro's will do anything, even cheat to win.

You Can't Be Serious
03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I watched that video over and over and over again trying to come up with a reason to think it was NOT intentional.

I cant think of one.

Pretty low by Kirilenko bush league big time.

Watched video again. Listen to Sharapova after she hit her return--she screamed much louder than normal. Maybe that got Kirilenko angry. I agree with the umpire, but at least she battled to the end unlike Li who tanked the final game. Tanking is much worse especially when people pay money to watch.

I never liked Connors antics on the court, and he did some bush league things. But he battled hard and helped make the sport entertaining.

You Can't Be Serious
03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Ana Ivanovic just banged her racket against Sharapova in support of Kirilenko. It's becoming a movement.

Spin Doctor
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Kudos to the umpire for:

1. Stopping it right away. She was all over that the second it happened.

2. The finger wag... followed by another finger wag with her other hand.

3. "I am not allowing this" in a tone that implied there would be no discussion on the matter. At all.

Didn't watch the match but judging by the grunting in the 10 seconds of video I saw I'm glad that I didn't.

Stringer_Steve
03-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Non-issue. If you are going to allow all the shrill and shrieking of Sharapova and Azarenka, I don't see how this is any more of a hinderance. If anything, it's less. I mean, you have to listen to that noise pollution all match long whereas Kirilenko did this once.

You Can't Be Serious
03-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Non-issue. If you are going to allow all the shrill and shrieking of Sharapova and Azarenka, I don't see how this is any more of a hinderance. If anything, it's less. I mean, you have to listen to that noise pollution all match long whereas Kirilenko did this once.

Great point.....

Cup8489
03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Still, you got to hand it to Kirilenko, she is very likeable, even during/after the incident. Something Sharapova never had.

Riiight. One of the most popular/well known women's athletes in the world is not likeable.

Do you really come up with this nonsense all on your own?

RoddickAce
03-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Having watched Kirilenko play doubles live, I know she taps the ground to tell her partner that she can't reach the ball. She does this on almost every point.

This may be a subconscious thing. Still hindrance though.

JohnnyCracker
03-16-2012, 11:29 PM

If Ovechkin did this in bed (not with a hockey stick obviously), would he be called for hindrance?

T-ennis 888
03-17-2012, 06:45 AM
... yet every single woman on the bush league WTA tour would double bagel you easily.

I don't dispute what you say re: double bagels, but that is not the issue discussed here.

The higher standards of sportsmanship and dare I say professionalism displayed by greater numbers of players in the men's game compared to the women's game is apparent to all. Note, that I say this as someone who is a great admirer of both Martina's, both Williams sisters, Steffi and Monica and sincerely wish the current batch of women would strive to achieve the consistency, all court play and standard of rivalries seen by champions in previous eras. Finally, consider that four different players won four Grand Slams last year, with there being seven different finalists in total. I wouldn't bet against similar stats again this time around in 2012.

Russeljones
03-17-2012, 07:01 AM

Did you get dropped on your head?

tacou
03-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Having watched Kirilenko play doubles live, I know she taps the ground to tell her partner that she can't reach the ball. She does this on almost every point.

This may be a subconscious thing. Still hindrance though.

Same. The stakes in this match were high for a player of Makiri's status; she was in the midst of a big choke in what might've been her first Master's final.

I've watched so many of her matches and she's never done anything I'd consider cheating, don't know why she'd do something so blatant at a big tournament against a good friend.

Basically I'd say yes that's a hindrance but I don't think Makiri had any malicious intent, just was frazzled

sureshs
03-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Both of them are very likeable.

Nathaniel_Near
03-17-2012, 10:33 AM
I would suggest that Nadal's recently amplified foot stutter sounds, before he returns first serves especially, is a hindrance!

Bjorn99
03-17-2012, 11:05 AM
It is a distraction, YES. But compared to shrieking? Total non issue.

CCNM
03-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Uhhh, I thought that when a hockey player tapped his stick on the ice it was some kind of salute.

michael_1265
03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
The thing that I loved is that the umpire treated her like an unruly 8-year-old, which is exactly what she deserved. Spoiled little brat. The finger wag was perfect. We need more umpires like her.

Bringing Sharapova's shrieks into this discussion is pointless. Tennis needs to grab this bull by the horns, but until it does, her behavior is legal.

zapvor
03-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3yLZTCBaE

I have never ever seen anyone try that on the tour until now.

wow. that is totally out of line. agree with umpire. she did it right before sharapova went to hit. and i dont even like sharapova

zapvor
03-17-2012, 10:46 PM

lol. thats funny but it was still wrong.

wimble10
03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I bet Sharapova loves to have someone else on the tour grunting like her (Azarenka). Azarenka is actually louder.
Kirilenko's racquet tapping was interesting. I wish she would have only tapped it twice. Then maybe she wouldn't have been called for a penalty.

Pocky
03-19-2012, 05:35 AM

Are you saying that just because she's hot?

Magnetite
03-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Doesn't look intentional at all. She looked like she was jut getting ready to run the next ball down, after retrieving a hard shot ..

It shouldn't be allowed, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. I guess more video of Kirilenko is a good thing tho :)

phnx90
03-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Riiight. One of the most popular/well known women's athletes in the world is not likeable.

Do you really come up with this nonsense all on your own?

Nope, why else do you think he's got so many accounts?

lbjames23
03-19-2012, 08:40 AM

this is a valid point. marsha s yelling at opponent should be banned

muddlehead
03-19-2012, 09:10 AM
as your resident hockey expert, love the tennis russians and their pucking - elena dementieva and her battling husband come to mind - and now mk. as a poster said, the tapping of the stick on the ice is a tribute thing - acknowledgement after play has stopped. a sweet goal, players on the bench bang sticks on the ice or board in front of them. or a center ice ceremony. each team lined along blue line. sticks banged on ice as a tribute. during play, i can't think of ever banging stick on ice or seeing another do it. if you want someone to pass you the puck, you might raise your stick, like a hoopster waiving his hand, to get noticed. (just like hoops, it's pretty bush league. if you're open, you'll get the puck/ball. don't be a ******...) banging stick on the ice during play would, um, telegraph where the puck might be heading...back to mk's racket tapping. wow. that was interesting. if she does it in doubles all the time as a poster said - find that hard to believe. if i'm playing for real live money against her and she thinks she can get away with that s***...but, this a sport where they allow the participants to scream as loud as they desire during play and no one says a word...

sureshs
03-19-2012, 09:26 AM
this is a valid point. marsha s yelling at opponent should be banned

It is not marsha, it is masha, which is like Mary in Russian

lbjames23
03-19-2012, 10:31 AM

well, good to know

spiderman123
03-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Always thought it was due to MAria SHArapova. Interesting!

sureshs
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Masha is the colloquial form of Maria.

But I don't think Sasha is the colloquial form of Saria.

Believe it or not, I knew a Yuri Sharapov whose tennis playing daughter was Masha!

volleygirl
03-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Maybe she has turrets

And you were whining that what Llodra said was offensive?