PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Tension Error

Nojoke
03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
I string my own rackets on a Gamma X2. I've done about 50 rackets and thought I was doing a fairly accurate job. I've downloaded the Rackettune app and it turns out that my reference tension is always much higher than the RT reading. For instance, I recently strung up a guy/poly hyrbid. Mains were at 54, crosses 48. Rackettune registers 46 lbs for tension. I've had similar issues with full poly jobs. Put machine on 52, rackettune registers 46.

The difference can be as much as 8 pounds lower than I intended. Now, I believe this is entirely my stringing error, not a rackettune issue. I cleaned my clamps and worked more slowly, even doing the JET method where you string one cross ahead while the prior cross is under tension, in order to (I thought) minimize tension loss. No luck, same results.

So here is my dilemma. With the last gut/poly hybrid I strung it came out about 8 pounds lower than the intended 54/48 hybird and I feel the strings are too loose and somewhat lacking in control. A gut/poly hybrid in a 6.1 16x 18 that registers at 46 lbs is a bit of a rocket launcher.

Since my stringing seems consistently lower than intended, I figure I can use rackettune as a reference guide. I can keep increasing tension until I get the reading to come in somewhere between 53-55 pounds. Which string should I increase? Ie, how can I figure out where the problem lies? If I am messing up crosses, obviously I shouldn't be increasing the mains by 8 pounds. I was thinking of trying a hybrid at 60M/50 crosses, thinking that increasing the gut mains will not alter the feel as much as a drastic increase in poly crosses.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Are there common errors for beginners that result in tension loss that I need to be more aware of?

Thanks.

Irvin
03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Did you load the strings and racket into RacquetTune along with setting up the 'tune' for those strings? Is the a vibration dampener in your racket?

If you like the way the racket plays now why change just know that RacquetTune says some different.

mikeler
03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Strings lose tension rapidly after installation while they settle in. RT never claims to be perfect at absolute tension unless you calibrate it with their individual string test. The intent is mainly to measure relative tension loss. For $2, it does a nice job of this.

mikeler
03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Did you load the strings and racket into RacquetTune along with setting up the 'tune' for those strings? Is the a vibration dampener in your racket?

If you like the way the racket plays now why change just know that RacquetTune says some different.

Another excellent post by Sir Irvin.

Nojoke
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM

I thought so. I selected the string type in the hybrid section, ie gut mains and poly crosses, and specified the string gauge for each. Is there anything more than that? No dampener.

The reason I wrote is that I don't like how the last job came out. I think with the addition of gut mains, the looseness is much more noticeable than with a full poly job. As a result, I did notice a lack of control that I would like to correct.

Mikeler, to answer your question, I understand that some loss is expected, but this is 8 pounds or so of loss measured immediately after stringing. So the loss is due to my technique somewhere, not a natural tension loss from the strings. For instance, I did have one hybrid strung up by a pro. Four months after stringing, that hybrid strung initially at 54/48 still registers 49.5 on RT. My string jobs come in lower than the looser cross tension immediately after stringing, which means I am the issue.

I know it is relative as well. Just looking for the best way to increase that relative reading because I lack control and the reading I currently have.

Thanks guys. I was hoping that folks as knowledgeable as you two would respond.

Joe

Xpherex
03-16-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm not experienced stringer (so far only 8-9 rackets). I also own a drop weight but with 6 pts. and fixed clamps (not a gamma). Even from my first job I can say I felt that the string job felt much better then from a local pro who's doing the job in 20 min. For him time is money for me it's quality. I usually string spin poly type and even with it I clamp the string after ~10 seconds after adjusting the bar slowly, and crosses even more. I think you should wait more before clamping as when I was stringing syn gut it felt very stretch compared to poly. As I haven't ever used flying clamps I cannot say anything about it but I guess you should also check them.

I have't checked the tension with any software but my 55 feels much tighter than from the local shop or stringer. As for string loosing tension it's also a lot about the string type not only string job. I won't believe that playing with poly after two month of restringing would keep that tension even if it was strung by pro and wasn't played from the restringing.

Irvin
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Some racket like Prince have built in vibration damperers while other have soft rubber grommets on the sides. Are all your grommets normal grommets? I would think gut would hold tension much better than any other type of string. You may just not like the softer feel of the gut string.

esgee48
03-16-2012, 06:53 PM
How long are you waiting before clamping? You should wait for your bar to stop moving. Xp is correct in that waiting 10 seconds may correct some of your problem.

Regarding your crosses, are you straightening the tensioned cross string. You should push it up towards the previous cross. More often than not, the bar will drop as the friction between main and cross is pulled out by this.

Nojoke
03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
How long are you waiting before clamping? You should wait for your bar to stop moving. Xp is correct in that waiting 10 seconds may correct some of your problem.

Regarding your crosses, are you straightening the tensioned cross string. You should push it up towards the previous cross. More often than not, the bar will drop as the friction between main and cross is pulled out by this.

I actually do both of those things. I appreciate the suugestions because i can always use helpful ideas. Perhaps my clamps are not tight enough or I'm just not waiting for an exactly horizontal dropweight level. Not sure, but i know i am messing up somewhere.

esgee48
03-16-2012, 10:07 PM
When was the last time you cleaned the flying clamps? Or the gripper?

Mark your string and see if it is slipping when clamped. Also check to see if possibly the string is slipping at the gripper.

Being a little off from horizontal is OK. The change is COS(angle)*ref tension.

fortun8son
03-16-2012, 10:27 PM
If you like the way it plays and your readings are consistent, just keep a record of your reference settings relative to the readout.

Maui19
03-17-2012, 02:32 AM
I use flying clamps and I always mark my strings to check clamps slippage several times during a string job. It is always surprising to me how easily the clamps can slip regardless of how tight the clamps feel.

Irvin
03-17-2012, 02:57 AM
I use flying clamps and I always mark my strings to check clamps slippage several times during a string job. It is always surprising to me how easily the clamps can slip regardless of how tight the clamps feel.

Your clamps are worn, dirty, or they are not adjusted properly if they slip any.

Nojoke
03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Strung up a full bed of rip control last night at 55/53. RT read 52.8, so perhaps I am doing something wrong stringing hybrids or perhaps the gut. Maybe I didn't let the gut set long enough as previously suggested. RIP doesn't elongate much while stringing, and I felt RT read very close to my intended tension.

Maui19
03-19-2012, 04:37 AM
Your clamps are worn, dirty, or they are not adjusted properly if they slip any.

Really??!!??