PDA

View Full Version : XL customization

Player#1
03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
How do I adjust racquet weight and balance to account for an extra .5" or 1"?

Do I get a similar balance/swingweight feel as the standard length by moving the balance further towards headlight or do I get closer to that feel by lowering the weight and staying at the same balance point? ...or by staying at the same balance point in terms of the balance distance. ex: keeping balance at 13.5"?

I have yet to experiment with this and I would like to spend as little time experimenting as possible... I just want to get the same weight, swingweight and balance feel as I have at standard length with an XL racquet.

scotus
03-16-2012, 12:20 PM
How do I adjust racquet weight and balance to account for an extra .5" or 1"?

Do I get a similar balance/swingweight feel as the standard length by moving the balance further towards headlight or do I get closer to that feel by lowering the weight and staying at the same balance point? ...or by staying at the same balance point in terms of the balance distance. ex: keeping balance at 13.5"?

I have yet to experiment with this and I would like to spend as little time experimenting as possible... I just want to get the same weight, swingweight and balance feel as I have at standard length with an XL racquet.

You are talking about 2 separate, different model racquets, right?

Because you cannot take your standard-length racquet, add 1/2 inch to it and expect it to weigh the same as before unless you take the bumper off or something.

MomentumGT
03-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Just curious. Do they still make the kits to extend a standard racquet? I saw a Volkl C10 at Goodwill and it was extended 1.5 inches lol. Where would I find these kits? Sorry for the derailment lol

-Jon

Player#1
03-16-2012, 04:19 PM
You are talking about 2 separate, different model racquets, right?

Because you cannot take your standard-length racquet, add 1/2 inch to it and expect it to weigh the same as before unless you take the bumper off or something.

Nope, sorry if I wasn't clear or you didn't understand.

Same model or very close to the same model of racquet. Very close to the same starting weight. I would like it to have the same feel as the standard length one except for the extra .5" or 1".

I want how the racquet feels when I play to be the approximately the same other than the extra length... (same feel of weight, same feeling swingweight, same feeling balance and same feeling amount of polarization)

I want to change the variables (balance, weight and placement of weight) to obtain a longer racquet that has a feel similar to the standard one.

My starting point standard length is customized; depolarized and leaded up.

Player#1
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I have never seen these kits, but I would be interested in trying one out.

esgee48
03-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Can't have the XL at the same balance. It has to be more HL than the standard length. Reason is the SW should be approximately the same. Put numbers into the TWU tools.

There are no kits for lengthening racquets. There are DIY threads that posters use to customize length.

Marcus
03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Racquets using the pallet handle system, head, Volkl, becker, vantage etc are a breeze to extend with either new pallets cut to a longer length or by moving the existing pallet down the hair pin. I've filled the void at the but cap with expanding foam to keep it solid.

Extending a racquet like this adds swing weight without significantly adding to the weight, if you want to keep a similar balance but with extended length you'd need to add some weight to the handle.

Have fun.....

ChicagoJack
03-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Some very good replies here already. Just to follow up on esgee 48's lead a bit, if you tend to like 8-12 points Hl on a 27" I suggest you experiment with 15-16 points HL on a 28". Try 13-14 points HL on a 27."5. Having said all of that, once you go beyond 27.5 there's really no way, no matter how much lead or silicone you add to the handle to make it feel the same or swing the same as a 27. Just ain't gonna happen. Past 27.5, It's going to cost you in terms of manueverability but the rewards are greater as well. Many folks are able to transition to a 27.25 without even noticing. I think experimenting with length is a great idea. It's helped my game quite a bit. If you supply me with your current racquet specs, and the length you would like to try, I'd be happy to calculate the added SW for you fairly accurately. As far as I know the TW tools don't do that for you.

PS.

Take your time. I know what I'm doing and it takes me several days just to plot and plan every thing out on paper ahead of time. As every journeyman carpenter knows it's always better to measure twice and cut once. This is going to be a process. And... (whispering a secret) it's fun.

-Jack

movdqa
03-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Much easier to just buy an XL frame with as similar characteristics to what you have now to try out.

There are some customization services out there that will do this for you too. I've seen a racquet with a hard foam extension from the hairpin - looks very solid. I imagine that these services could also do the weighting and balancing to get you close to the SW and balance that you had before on multiple frames.

Player#1
03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Some very good replies here already. Just to follow up on esgee 48's lead a bit, if you tend to like 8-12 points Hl on a 27" I suggest you experiment with 15-16 points HL on a 28". Try 13-14 points HL on a 27."5. Having said all of that, once you go beyond 27.5 there's really no way, no matter how much lead or silicone you add to the handle to make it feel the same or swing the same as a 27. Just ain't gonna happen. Past 27.5, It's going to cost you in terms of manueverability but the rewards are greater as well. Many folks are able to transition to a 27.25 without even noticing. I think experimenting with length is a great idea. It's helped my game quite a bit. If you supply me with your current racquet specs, and the length you would like to try, I'd be happy to calculate the added SW for you fairly accurately. As far as I know the TW tools don't do that for you.

PS.

Take your time. I know what I'm doing and it takes me several days just to plot and plan every thing out on paper ahead of time. As every journeyman carpenter knows it's always better to measure twice and cut once. This is going to be a process. And... (whispering a secret) it's fun.

-Jack

Thanks, I am planning on doing the calculations. I just don't want to move the weighting over and over after that... I want to get it very close to right before I put the weight on.

So, it looks like for the balance you try to leave it close to the same point...

Ex. If you have a racquet with the balance at 13.5" standard length, it should be at about 13.5" on a 27.5" or 28" (which would make it about 4-8pts more headlight)

Then if I do that, it may be ideal to reduce the static weight of the racquet by about .25-.75 ounces while trying to keep the swingweight almost the same.

How about polarization? Does the extra lenght inherently make it feel more depolarized? (Maybe I should polarize slightly more to account for this).