PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the Budgeters

EaGamer
03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Right now I have a Babolat XS 102, and I'm about to start my second full season , just outside of Varsity on my high-school team. (Last year I was 25, im 7 currently). Anyways, I want to know if I should save up and grab myself another XS 102, so I can have duplicate rackets, with the same strings, and string weight. Or if I should save up for an APD.

I'm thinking, get an XS 102 so i'll have two of those obviously, and then keep saving up for an APD. I've heard they play a little bit similar, not positive about that. But I was wondering if anyones had this same type of situation on their hands? I'm looking to get into the top 6 next year. So maybe I'll have two APD's by then. Any suggestion helps. Thanks!

EaGamer
03-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Btw i'm jobless at the moment, on a bit of a budget. Makin some money here and there, I can afford an XS 102. Not an APD yet.

scotus
03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Do you pay full price for those XS 102 sticks (never seen one)?

You can save a lot of money by buying used, and my guess is that you'll find a lot more APDs in the used market than the XS.

Deuces Wild
03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Do you pay full price for those XS 102 sticks (never seen one)?

You can save a lot of money by buying used, and my guess is that you'll find a lot more APDs in the used market than the XS.

Agreed with the buy used approach. You can get decent deals on the TT forums and if you check references, there are plenty of reliable folks.

EaGamer
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
They were on Tennis Warehouse last summer, now they're off, but still on Tennis Express. I've been told by my local tennis shop they've never seen one either. I bought mine for $120, and I found one on another site for about $90.

EaGamer
03-16-2012, 04:19 PM
That didn't really answer my question though. I wanted to know if I should get a duplicate racket, or get a different, more expensive one. Like I said, i'm leaning towards another XS 102 so im not SOL in the middle of a match.

achokshi99
03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Why would you want to spend more for a racquet that plays similar to what you already have? The extra money for the APD prob will have no impact on you moving from JV to Varsity. If the XS works for you, why not stick with it.

Muppet
03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Or you could get something second hand for a backup and continue saving for a nice matched pair of racquets (nice second hand pair even.)

lim
03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
What are you looking for in the APD? The pj?

EaGamer
03-17-2012, 04:39 AM
What are you looking for in the APD? The pj?

I'm not quite positive, I just know the APD lets me hit harder, with more ease. I do have a pretty big build though and can generate power even with the lightest of rackets.