PDA

View Full Version : Best String For Ps.6.1 Classic!!!?!?

TopspinAce
03-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Any suggestions!? Im just looking for something fun..I have about 15 sets of head synt gut and grips

Devilito
03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Any suggestions!? Im just looking for something fun..I have about 15 sets of head synt gut and grips

my friend still uses the old 6.1 classic and he strings it with full poly at around 38 lbs. Works great and is very comfortable. Still one of the best racquets you can use IMO

TopspinAce
03-16-2012, 07:05 PM
my friend still uses the old 6.1 classic and he strings it with full poly at around 38 lbs. Works great and is very comfortable. Still one of the best racquets you can use IMO

does synthetic gut work though..im out of poly right now

Devilito
03-16-2012, 08:06 PM

sure it does. Been playing with the 6.1 classic long before poly was even around. Usually rocked it around 60-65 lbs. Nothing fancy or special about stringing it.

Fuji
03-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I've loved Head RIP Control 16 in mine. Strung up at 60lbs. The 6.1 Classic handles higher tensions like a dream!

-Fuji

sansaephanh
03-16-2012, 10:45 PM

does synthetic gut work...... Man you need to try some forten sweet 16/17 in this stick. All my greatest experiences with this stick were with synth guts. Had some random poly/multi crap hybrid in one 16x18 and full gamma synth gut in the other... Gamma synth gut ruled it. So much consistency and predictability. The perfect amount of crisp for amount of feel i want. It's so much work to find this type of feel for a cheap price with hybrids, polys, OR multis. Maybe I'm just a synth gut guy.though

I get great spin and pop while having it soft enough for my wrist. Beware the string might be more powerful than you might want. I hit long for a while during warmups, but started dialing that power in with just a tad more spin via follow through on my strokes. I love this racket, but... unfortunately it's just to heavy for me. I don't have enough timing for a racket that needs either a precise or deliberate swing. I am currently trying to get used to the 18x20 PS6.1 Classics but spring has doomed california with a storm. I might be posting a review soon... I have 2 string set ups but haven't gotten used to or broken in either of them yet. Also I cannot see myself being able to play this racket in a good duration without ridiculous fatigue compared to my rebels. Which are almost perfect for me...

sansaephanh
03-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I've loved Head RIP Control 16 in mine. Strung up at 60lbs. The 6.1 Classic handles higher tensions like a dream!

-Fuji

this is what i did wrong. I put Gosen Sheep Micro 17 at 52 because i was afraid of the stiffness... I should have done 56+. It's so mushy it's hard to get excited about hitting. In contrast, the forten is making me want to sneak a french kiss from the racket:oops:

Fuji
03-16-2012, 10:49 PM
this is what i did wrong. I put Gosen Sheep Micro 17 at 52 because i was afraid of the stiffness... I should have done 56+. It's so mushy it's hard to get excited about hitting. In contrast, the forten is making me want to sneak a french kiss from the racket:oops:

Hahaha! I love how the Rec Tensions are 55-65lbs on it. It definitely was made to be strung high! Great comfort all else considering. I don't recall ever stringing mine up with poly though, always used Head RIP.

-Fuji

TopspinAce
03-17-2012, 09:51 AM
does synthetic gut work...... Man you need to try some forten sweet 16/17 in this stick. All my greatest experiences with this stick were with synth guts. Had some random poly/multi crap hybrid in one 16x18 and full gamma synth gut in the other... Gamma synth gut ruled it. So much consistency and predictability. The perfect amount of crisp for amount of feel i want. It's so much work to find this type of feel for a cheap price with hybrids, polys, OR multis. Maybe I'm just a synth gut guy.though

I get great spin and pop while having it soft enough for my wrist. Beware the string might be more powerful than you might want. I hit long for a while during warmups, but started dialing that power in with just a tad more spin via follow through on my strokes. I love this racket, but... unfortunately it's just to heavy for me. I don't have enough timing for a racket that needs either a precise or deliberate swing. I am currently trying to get used to the 18x20 PS6.1 Classics but spring has doomed california with a storm. I might be posting a review soon... I have 2 string set ups but haven't gotten used to or broken in either of them yet. Also I cannot see myself being able to play this racket in a good duration without ridiculous fatigue compared to my rebels. Which are almost perfect for me...

Thanks! This is what I needed! Im not using it full time just for gags but I'm glad synt gut will work but you never told me at what tension with HEAD Synt gut..and p.s I love the rebels xD

sansaephanh
03-17-2012, 12:56 PM
i think you should use a stiffer synth gut @60+. If you don't need the comfort anyways. if you do i recommend staying at 60 with a softer string like forten sweet.

Fuji is all too correct when he says this racket is meant for high tensions.

fuzz nation
03-18-2012, 07:06 AM
I still have my 6.1 Classics and although I don't use them much these days, they're certainly fun for some occasional noodling around. These are probably my all-time best performers for serve & volley and doubles play.

I string my own gear, so when I was using my 6.1's a lot, I tried a number of different tensions with both 16 ga. and 17 ga. syn. gut, plus a sampling or two of multifiber. The multi was just too mushy for me in that frame, but I was also surprised with just how much better I liked the feel of 17 over 16 ga. syn. gut. Even though the thinner string isn't typically as durable as a thicker option, the feedback and general performance I got with the 17's was substantial for me.

I liked my Classics strung right up to 64-65 lbs. when I was using them a lot, but if I occasionally restring any of them now, I'll probably shoot for 61-62 lbs. I've gone in the direction of softer racquets and currently use the Volkl C10 Pro 98, but I can honestly say that it's not the demon around the net that the 6.1 Classic was for me when I used it all the time.

rst
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Im just looking for something fun.....but not necessarily best?