PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stats on IW: Federer, Nadal and Nalbandian spin rates on strokes

Fate Archer
03-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Very interesting stats were displayed on the IW broadcast.

They were showing the placement and spin rate in RPM values of the player's strokes grouped by 3 ranges: >0 (<1500, was also labelled as flat); >1500 (<3000) and >3000.

Unfortunately it didn't occurred to me to capture the screen so the placement of the strokes could be better observed, but I managed to get some numbers.

This is from Federer vs Del Potro quarter (today)

Federer

------------------------------------------------
Flat:::::::::::::::::::>1500::::::::::::::>3000
8%:::::::::::::::::::::::52%::::::::::::::::40%

Unfortunately I missed Del Potro's stats, they show too quickly some of these stats. Maybe someone who watched a re-run can point Del Po's later.

Now from Nadal vs Nalbandian quarter

Nadal

8%:::::::::::::::::::::::40%::::::::::::::::52%

Nalbandian

17%:::::::::::::::::::::::77%::::::::::::::::6%

-----

One observation on the Nadal vs Nalbandian match is that, from Nadal, this has been an atypical match where his UE count passed the #30's or #40's in unforced errors.
I recall these stats being shown on another match from Nadal, either against Granollers or Dolgopolov, where his >3000 RPM range was above 70%.

So while this is a single match, it could point out to some interesting things: 1) a direct correlation between Nadal's spin rate on his strokes and his Unforced Error counter;
2) a certain potential for a relatively more flat hitter to contribute to Nadal's UE count. The reasoning is that the ball comes relatively faster coming from Nalbandian's strokes (many of them on the rise, specially from his backhand) and that gives Nadal less time to set-up his shots therefore committing more UE's. It seemed like some of Nadal's UE's came from that type of dynamic today.
Option 3) and probably most likely would be Nadal just having a bad day at the office today.

It's curious how the >1500 and >3000 range between Federer and Nadal are basically inverted with them hitting the same amount of flat shots at the point these stats were displayed.

Thoughts?

I will try to include the stats of the semifinals and add John Isner and Djokovic here, if spin rate stats are shown again. I suspect Novak's spin rates are similar to Federer's.

Cup8489
03-16-2012, 08:11 PM
So much for people claiming Fed hits a 'flat' ball. LOL.

pvaudio
03-16-2012, 08:23 PM
So much for people claiming Fed hits a 'flat' ball. LOL.That's because they're stupid. Raonic said that Federer's shots come in with a spin unlike anyone else's. They simply give you zero time to prepare because they're so heavy. I think people forget that the spinniest stroke on tour isn't Rafa's forehand, but Federer's slice BH.

Cup8489
03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
That's because they're stupid. Raonic said that Federer's shots come in with a spin unlike anyone else's. They simply give you zero time to prepare because they're so heavy. I think people forget that the spinniest stroke on tour isn't Rafa's forehand, but Federer's slice BH.

Agreed.. the *******s need to go learn to play tennis.

MichaelNadal
03-16-2012, 09:10 PM
That's because they're stupid. Raonic said that Federer's shots come in with a spin unlike anyone else's. They simply give you zero time to prepare because they're so heavy. I think people forget that the spinniest stroke on tour isn't Rafa's forehand, but Federer's slice BH.

I love Federer's slice backhand, it's SICK. So much spin when it hits the court it's insane.

kiteboard
03-16-2012, 10:46 PM

Fed hit a 5300 rpm bh slice shot, more rpm than any other on record. That's with vs team (wilson prem. in its real package)/alu power rough at 48/46lbs.

Bobby Jr
03-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Federer's middle range averages here are obviously bought up by the fact of his backhand. His topspin and slice backhands have more spin than Nadal's average backhand.

ThoughtCrime
03-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Fed hit a 5300 rpm bh slice shot, more rpm than any other on record. That's with vs team (wilson prem. in its real package)/alu power rough at 48/46lbs.

Nah, Rosewall and Laver produced over 12,000 rpm on their 125 m/ph slice backhands.

nadalwon2012
03-17-2012, 01:52 AM
Nadal knew he had to hit Nalbandian off the court in order to win, so less topspin.