PDA

View Full Version : Once upon a time, people used to look forward to...

Speranza
03-17-2012, 05:49 AM
...a Fedal match, regardless of the result.

Alas, those days are behind us.

Or are they?

TJfederer16
03-17-2012, 05:53 AM
I think the epic matches are over, but its always a pleasure to see both of them on the same court together regardless of the outcome or level of tennis, it always feel special.

Russeljones
03-17-2012, 05:56 AM
That is akin to one saying one does not look forward to a good meal. Nonsense.

Leto
03-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Or are they?

Eventually, Rafa's going to start declining due to age at a more rapid pace than Fed is, given his playing style. Maybe then, we'll see more competitive Fedal matches.

For now, I expect Rafa to continue to dominate (except for indoor HC late in season).

On slow courts like today, I think Fed only wins if Rafa plays poorly. If they both play solid, I think Rafa wins it in straights.

nadalwon2012
03-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Eventually, Rafa's going to start declining due to age at a more rapid pace than Fed is, given his playing style. Maybe then, we'll see more competitive Fedal matches.

For now, I expect Rafa to continue to dominate (except for indoor HC late in season).

On slow courts like today, I think Fed only wins if Rafa plays poorly. If they both play solid, I think Rafa wins it in straights.

That's the plan/hope/wish. But will it be the reality? Nadal has won at least 1 slam per year for the last 7 years. Nadal has made the last 4 slam finals and 7 of the last 8. Nadal at age 25.5 has played a 6 hour slam final, and only lost 7-5 in the 5th set. That isn't something a guy with longevity problems does. On top of that, Nadal continues to improve his net-play, while Federer's net-play got worse (less-used) every year.

Leto
03-17-2012, 07:20 AM
That's the plan/hope/wish. But will it be the reality? Nadal has won at least 1 slam per year for the last 7 years. Nadal has made the last 4 slam finals and 7 of the last 8. Nadal at age 25.5 has played a 6 hour slam final, and only lost 7-5 in the 5th set. That isn't something a guy with longevity problems does. On top of that, Nadal continues to improve his net-play, while Federer's net-play got worse (less-used) every year.

Not a plan/hope/wish on my part. Just predicting what is likely.

Also, I don't see any real significance in those matches if things turn out that way. Both guys will be past their prime and unlikely to be true slam contenders or fighting for #1.

But for pure entertainment value in terms of the outcome being less predictable than it tends to be now, it would make each potential Fedal encounter more interesting.

tacou
03-17-2012, 07:24 AM
if you don't look forward you're spoiled and will be a depressed tennis fan in 5 years time.

the matches always feature, at the very least, a handful of stunning points, and even the lopsided wins have been displays of fantastic tennis for Nadal (FO 08) or Fed (WTF11).

above all else it's another chapter in the greatest rivalry in tennis, and possibly sports in general. always a pleasure to be part of that.

Warmaster
03-17-2012, 07:32 AM
if you don't look forward you're spoiled and will be a depressed tennis fan in 5 years time.

the matches always feature, at the very least, a handful of stunning points, and even the lopsided wins have been displays of fantastic tennis for Nadal (FO 08) or Fed (WTF11).

above all else it's another chapter in the greatest rivalry in tennis, and possibly sports in general. always a pleasure to be part of that.

Depends on how you look at it. I mean, for me a match where it isn't easy to predict the winner is a lot more enjoyable, Federer-Djokovic is way more interesting if you look at it that way.

Evan77
03-17-2012, 07:40 AM
their matches are so predictable. No, I'm not looking forward to another Fedal match. Raf keeps pounding Rogs' BH, blah, blah... same old story. yes, I will always watch their matches because I love tennis, but Rog is simply Nadal's turkey...

Hood_Man
03-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Once upon a time, the result wasn't a foregone conclusion.

8-6 from 2004-2007, 10-3 ever since.

flyinghippos101
03-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Yup. Fed will get some sniffs, but most of the time he'll find a way to blow it. Absolutely NOT looking forward to another fedal match. The only ones that are are the Nadal fans.

Leto
03-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Yup. Fed will get some sniffs, but most of the time he'll find a way to blow it. Absolutely NOT looking forward to another fedal match. The only ones that are are the Nadal fans.

Even Nadal fans might not look forward to this match.

Anything can happen and he could end up losing.

Good luck dealing with that on a forum like this, based on what I have seen :)

For Nadal fans, I can see it as being like there is little to gain if he wins as usual, but a lot to lose if he doesn't win :shock:

Rusty669
03-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Fed should be quietly optimistic for today's match. He has won the last two tournaments on the spin and has had a lot more match practice than Rafa has since the Australian Open.
Obviously the slow hard court favours Nadal, but I am curious to see if Fed might squeeze a win today, as he has come through some matches where he wasn't playing his best tennis. I always look forward to their matches, even if the head to head is a little lopsided.

tacou
03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Depends on how you look at it. I mean, for me a match where it isn't easy to predict the winner is a lot more enjoyable, Federer-Djokovic is way more interesting if you look at it that way.

I know what you mean, however remember before WTF? Who would've guessed how easily Federer would win, even on a fast indoor.

What I'm saying is these are the 2 best ever and in 5 years time both will be gone...some of the next generation players are fun/interesting, but none will achieve the success of Nadal or Federer, and certainly there won't be 2 of them going at it in 2-3 slam finals a year.

tennis_pro
03-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Even Nadal fans might not look forward to this match.

Anything can happen and he could end up losing.

Good luck dealing with that on a forum like this, based on what I have seen :)

For Nadal fans, I can see it as being like there is little to gain if he wins as usual, but a lot to lose if he doesn't win :shock:

Nadal won't lose anything if Fed beats him, if anything he can protect himself from another Djokovic beating in the final.

Bjorn99
03-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Does the winner play again tomorrow? Wow, that is TOUGH. I always enjoy these two going at it. It is like Ali/Frasier in my opinion. No hype, just a a battle between beauty and gristle at the highest level.

sureshs
03-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Remember that Fed still has a cold and is not 100%.

If he was not injured, he would easily beat Nadal today.

nadalwon2012
03-17-2012, 11:59 AM

And if he is not injured, he would easily get beaten in straight sets by Nadal today, according to outdoor hardcourt history.

Rock Strongo
03-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Or are they?

Holmes, is that thou?

Rozroz
03-17-2012, 02:16 PM

stop this nonsense.
his perfectly ok now.
he will lose as usual.
end of story.

li0scc0
03-17-2012, 06:55 PM
And if he is not injured, he would easily get beaten in straight sets by Nadal today, according to outdoor hardcourt history.

Wow, Federer must have been injured. Because, as you say, if Federer was healthy Nadal would have killed him in straights.

Jonny S&V
03-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Wow, Federer must have been injured. Because, as you say, if Federer was healthy Nadal would have killed him in straights.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3225/Eating_Crow.jpg