PDA

View Full Version : Two New Grand Slam Tournaments

marpiw
03-17-2012, 09:58 AM
I think that it would be interesting to have a couple more Grand Slams tournaments,one located in South Africa and the other in South America (alternatively played in the cities of Sao Paulo,Brazil, and Buenos Aires,Argentina).What do you think?

Tammo
03-17-2012, 09:59 AM
South America would be clay, but what would South Africa be?

augustobt
03-17-2012, 10:00 AM
South America would be clay, but what would South Africa be?

Grass.

2 on clay, 2 on hard and 2 on grass.

TTMR
03-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Would be a great way to dilute the accomplishments of recent players and denigrate those of past champions. It's win-win.

marpiw
03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
South America would be clay, but what would South Africa be?South Africa could be hardcourt...

Tammo
03-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Why not have one in Antartica? It would be on ice.

stringertom
03-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Grass.

2 on clay, 2 on hard and 2 on grass.

THREE on HC...you forgot Cinci, the REAL slam!

Hood_Man
03-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Why not have one in Antartica? It would be on ice.

Federer would never lose, it would be the ultimate fast surface.

Can you imagine Djokovic sliding around on ice? They'd need pinball machine style bumpers surrounding the court just to keep him in the arena.

Gorecki
03-17-2012, 10:18 AM
I think that it would be interesting to have a couple more Grand Slams tournaments,one located in South Africa and the other in South America (alternatively played in the cities of Sao Paulo,Brazil, and Buenos Aires,Argentina).What do you think?

I like the idea but i have another proposal.

one in africa, that would be played in the odd years in Adis Abeba in Menure courts and the even years in the sands of Lac Rose, Dakar

the other one in South America, should be played every four years in the easter island, using the statues to do bumps, and the rest of the years it should be played in Machu Pichu

How is that for a even dumber idea than yours Marpiw?

ps: glad to see you still have the hability to create the most useless threads. and that is quite a feature in a forum with posters like Clarky and Jackson Vile....

rommil
03-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I think the one in Africa should be played on open field where they go for safari.

It would be the ultimate test of focus and will when you are serving a second serve down break point, with a tiger near the sideline.

OddJack
03-17-2012, 10:55 AM
One is coming up in China soon.

kishnabe
03-17-2012, 10:58 AM
a 5th slam would be a disgrace to all of tennis.

Fee
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
a 5th slam would be a disgrace to all of tennis.

This. And the Grand Slam committee would never allow it. They aren't stupid, they have no desire to dilute their product. IW and Miami get enough attention as it is.

Mustard
03-17-2012, 12:46 PM
No. There are 4 majors. It would suck, big time, if this ever changed.

Bud
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM

IMO, if one is ever added in the future it will be in China :)

Mustard
03-17-2012, 01:18 PM
IMO, if one is ever added in the future it will be in China :)

China? With its absent crowds? It's bad enough that Hamburg was demoted for the Shanghai monstrosity.

gavna
03-17-2012, 01:24 PM
China? With its absent crowds? It's bad enough that Hamburg was demoted for the Shanghai monstrosity.

Totally agree........bad enough they get a 1000 they can't sell out.

Raz11
03-17-2012, 01:31 PM
The schedule is already bad enough as it is. Replace one of the Masters 1000 maybe or even better, have the WTF on a rotational basis.

svijk
03-17-2012, 01:31 PM
India is the best bet in Asia for a GS.... lot of tennis craze, guaranteed sellouts and big sponsors.

Towser83
03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
lets add one on the moon

okdude1992
03-17-2012, 02:05 PM
I think the one in Africa should be played on open field where they go for safari.

It would be the ultimate test of focus and will when you are serving a second serve down break point, with a tiger near the sideline.

Lol. And all players under 6'4 can serve from off a giraffe's back when playing Isner

okdude1992
03-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Agreed. Shanghai is a joke. I heard they have to give away tickets because nobody wants to attend the early rounds

PSNELKE
03-17-2012, 02:09 PM
By adding more major tournaments, the majors could lose their significance.

And what's even worse, the existing major statistics and records would be totally screwed over.
I'm strictly against it.

Mustard
03-17-2012, 02:23 PM
By adding more major tournaments, the majors could lose their significance.

And what's even worse, the existing major statistics and records would be totally screwed over.
I'm strictly against it.

I must admit I'm worried. Don't doubt for a moment that the business suits would add a Chinese major, and have it played behind closed doors, if they were handed a load of cash by corporations. They were prepared to demote a tournament of Hamburg's history in favour of the Shanghai tournament that has near empty crowds. Money is all they care about. The French Open venue, Roland Garros, recently came under some pressure from the authorities, and there were media rumours of the tournament being moved to elsewhere in France or even abroad. That's been put off, for the foreseeable future, but what then?

PSNELKE
03-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I must admit I'm worried. Don't doubt for a moment that the business suits would add a Chinese major, and have it played behind closed doors, if they were handed a load of cash by corporations. They were prepared to demote a tournament of Hamburg's history in favour of the Shanghai tournament that has near empty crowds. Money is all they care about. The French Open venue, Roland Garros, recently came under some pressure from the authorities, and there were media rumours of the tournament being moved to elsewhere in France or even abroad. That's been put off, for the foreseeable future, but what then?

Those are exactly the worries I have as well. As you said, it is unfortunately all about the money, not about history or tradition.
As for RG I doubt it'll be moved anywhere else but Paris, Frenchies aren't that stupid.

nadalwon2012
03-17-2012, 02:29 PM

South Africa could have an indoor grass event.
South America clay.