PDA

View Full Version : Do any women play with the head prestige or is it too heavy?

tennisismylife9
03-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Just curious. I really like the racquet (I'm a girl), but am concerned that it might be too heavy during longer matches.

Power Player
03-17-2012, 03:11 PM
One of the TW girl playtesters...carol..uses the 6.1 95 and that's a heavier stick.

It really matters how you swing. If you like to swing hard and go for spin, then it may get tiring after a while..but flatter and more relaxed swings should be fine if you have been playing a while.

Torres
03-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Not sure which Prestige you're talking about but the normal Prestige is close to a 90sq" head, as opposed to the Prestige Pro or Prestige MP.

That would concern me more than the weight.

That said, just demo it and see whether it suits.

Hi I'm Ray
03-17-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't think the weight is a problem, I've seen high level female players use heavy rackets, but I have not seen one using Prestige Mid, Pro Staff 85, 90. There other frames in the Prestige line might that might work, maybe someone can say more about them, I haven't used them.

Power Player
03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Sloan Stevens uses the prestige mid.

Hi I'm Ray
03-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I meant "normal" high level girls, college, stuff like that. Those very high ranked players, tour players, or pros are on a whole other level, they can use whatever they want :)

movdqa
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
The college girls that I used to hit with used 13+ ounce racquets like the JK Autograph, Dunlop Maxply, etc.

UCSF2012
03-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Use what you like. Your body will adapt and get stronger. I love seeing girls use a real racket for once.

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Don't let the weight scare you. It's really headlight so when you're swinging it, you don't really feel it.

Also, I don't know how the Prestige line does it, but they almost always have the lighter swingweight compared to other 12oz.+ mid frames.

You'll love the Prestige (whichever one you choose). If you've got the heart, its demanding nature will force you to develop early preparation, good follow through, and smooth strokes.

Not saying other racquets can't help you develop those traits, but you almost absolutely have to for the ball to go anywhere.

li0scc0
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
The college girls that I used to hit with used 13+ ounce racquets like the JK Autograph, Dunlop Maxply, etc.

And now most college D1 players use 10.5-11.5 ounce racquets.
The Top 6 Girls on our D1 team (top 25) use Prince White LITE (10 ounces!), Yonex RQIS 2 Tour (<11), Babolat Pure Storm GT (11.1), Dunlop 4d 300 Tour (11.3), Babolat Pure Drive GT LITE (10.5), and the Wilson Six.One team (10.7).

None use leather, and none use lead. Only modifications are overgrips and dampener. So the highest weight is about 11.5 ounces.

Again, this are top level D1 players. Effective weights ranges for racquets for top women appears to be in the 11 ounce range. And the top player uses a 10 ounce racquet! Adjust accordingly for your skillset.

vsbabolat
03-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Just curious. I really like the racquet (I'm a girl), but am concerned that it might be too heavy during longer matches.

Have you played any matches yet with it? How has it felt so far?

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Also, you don't to have all the strength in the world to use a 12oz.+ mid racquet.

Just good technique.

movdqa
03-17-2012, 08:24 PM
> Effective weights ranges for racquets for top women appears to
> be in the 11 ounce range. And the top player uses a 10 ounce
> racquet! Adjust accordingly for your skillset.

The important metric is swingweight and you can get the swingweights up on light racquets.

The current top player on the WTA site is Azarenka and TW lists her racquet as the Wilson BLX Juice 100 at 11.3 ounces. Perhaps you're ferring to Maria Sharapova. She is listed as using the IG Instinct at 10.9 ounces. She's actually using a YT Radical Pro with an IG Instinct paintjob. You really can't tell what the top women are using unless you have one of their frames or know someone that has one of their frames and can measure it.

Some WTA swingweights (from Greg Raven):

Venus Williams 380
Serena Williams 354
Ivanovic 348
Kirilenko 349
Kuznetsova 353

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=251209

Djokovic's swingweight is 371 for comparison and he's on the high side. Federer is in the 350s with Nadal moving from the 350s last year to a bit higher this year.

It's hard to say what the top male and female players are using and what their specs are. In some cases the racquet they actually use can be made by a different racquet company compared to how the racquet is painted or it may be a different model from the same company or it may be customized with lead and silcone. Pro Stock hairpins are a lot longer than retail frames too so pro players can get whatever length they want.

li0scc0
03-18-2012, 04:05 AM
> Effective weights ranges for racquets for top women appears to
> be in the 11 ounce range. And the top player uses a 10 ounce
> racquet! Adjust accordingly for your skillset.

The important metric is swingweight and you can get the swingweights up on light racquets.

The current top player on the WTA site is Azarenka and TW lists her racquet as the Wilson BLX Juice 100 at 11.3 ounces. Perhaps you're ferring to Maria Sharapova. She is listed as using the IG Instinct at 10.9 ounces. .

Reread my post. I was referring to our local top 25 D1 team. College women.

movdqa
03-18-2012, 07:01 AM
I found your second sentence to be ambiguous.

jman32
03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
played with a 4.5 woman at a tennis camp, she is about 40-45 years old and played with an youtek P MP. she was strong around the net (best overhead of any woman i played with or against) and groundies, serve was lacking. not sure if the racket hurt on the serve.

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
heaviest racquet I have EVER picked up belonged to Kimiko Date...

bear in mind, all these things are just flyweight tupperware compared to what the likes of Margaret Court, Billie Jean King or Evonne Goolagong used..

kind of a silly thread, no offence