PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells Mens Champion: Isner or Federer?

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Who's going to win!!??

FearOfTheDark
03-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Wrong section. And spoiler

Nathaniel_Near
03-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Interesting one. Isner and Federer should be full of confidence, and rightly so. This is a return match and an exciting rematch for the Davis Cup tie in Switzerland, which Isner won in hugely impressive style. I expect a close match that hinges on a few points with Roger finding a way to get it done. Isner certainly has his chances.

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Damn! thought i clicked pro match results.. fail.

Meriko
03-17-2012, 06:18 PM
My money is on Fed, but I expect Isner to give him a run for his money.

FlashFlare11
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I think Isner will take a set, probably with a break of serve, too. I just hope the conditions are better than they were today.

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Wanna see how feds manages the isner serve. Gonna be a great match.

Humblumb
03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Being a big federer fan, i must say this is a tough call, Isner is going to be riding a huge confidence train into the final having beat federer ON CLAY IN SWITZERLAND, and then being able to beat Djokovic. Honestly this one is a tough one to call but with intangibles put in (American Hard court Tourney) im going to have to say Isner has to win in 2 sets, if not Federer is going to take it in 3

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 06:37 PM
I think Isner will take it in 3. Hard to say who is going to win but Feds is more popular.

seattle_1hander
03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Isner's first masters final, Federer full of confidence. Federer hasn't won this tournament in SIX YEARS. Wants it badly. Also sees the opportunity to build points and take back Numero Uno

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Isner's first masters final, Federer full of confidence. Federer hasn't won this tournament in SIX YEARS. Wants it badly. Also sees the opportunity to build points and take back Numero Uno

No chance . Isner already beat him on clay.

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Come on. If your on TW before watching the match you deserve to be spoiled.

The Bawss
03-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Isner is not known for his endurance. He played a long match against Djokovic and is playing the Dubs final. Isner is going to have fun trying to beat an on-form Federer in his first MS1000 final on tired legs.

FearOfTheDark
03-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Come on. If your on TW before watching the match you deserve to be spoiled.

I watched the whole match anyway but I'm thinking about the people who haven't ;)

seattle_1hander
03-17-2012, 06:54 PM
No chance . Isner already beat him on clay.

Just stating facts. Nadal already beat Federer on outdoor hard, how did that work out?

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Just stating facts. Nadal already beat Federer on outdoor hard, how did that work out?

I don't get your point?

Isners serve may be the best on the tour. Clay slows it down that's why the Swiss chose to play on clay. They thought they had a better chance winning on clay.

If Isner beat fed on clay it stands to reason isner has an even better chance on hard.

The speed helps isner more.

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Isner is not known for his endurance. He played a long match against Djokovic and is playing the Dubs final. Isner is going to have fun trying to beat an on-form Federer in his first MS1000 final on tired legs.

Isner not know for his endurance ?????

Are you kidding me???

Did you see isner Mahut??

I think isner has zero problems with endurance in a best of three on a hard court.

seattle_1hander
03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't get your point?

Isners serve may be the best on the tour. Clay slows it down that's why the Swiss chose to play on clay. They thought they had a better chance winning on clay.

If Isner beat fed on clay it stands to reason isner has an even better chance on hard.

Isner beating Federer on a different surface, before Federer's recent run on hard courts mind you, has little if any bearing on this match.

Lest we forget, Mardy Fish commented that the surface in Switzerland was horrible and that it would be incredibly difficult to return a serve like John Isner's on it. You're logic is lacking and your conclusion is unwarranted.

Atherton2003
03-17-2012, 07:07 PM
I think Isner will win - although he is tough to watch - looks gawky with the mouth open and tongue sticking out on every point.

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Isner beating Federer on a different surface, before Federer's recent run on hard courts mind you, has little if any bearing on this match.

Lest we forget, Mardy Fish commented that the surface in Switzerland was horrible and that it would be incredibly difficult to return a serve like John Isner's on it. You're logic is lacking and your conclusion is unwarranted.

Djoker is the greatest returner I have ever seen in my life .

I'm picking Isner.

Bacterio
03-17-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't get your point?

Despite the clay surface that they laid down in Switz being bad, there's also the issue how much clay also slows down Fed's game.

Isner's serve/height is big enough that he can still hit aces on clay. So even if his serve is slightly slower on clay the trajectory and bounce are still incredible.

Meanwhile, Fed won't be able to hit through Isner because clay is slowing down his game as well. So aces or service winners end up being returned by Isner who isn't that good of a returner. And shots that might be winners become shots that Isner can chase down despite not having the best movement.

If anything, I'd say clay would favor Isner because he can still hit through people on serve and groundstrokes, and the slowed down pace allows him to stay in points he otherwise might not have on a faster surface. It's the same reason he was able to take Nadal to 5 at the French. Big man's tennis is going to be big man's tennis regardless of the surface.

I'm thinking Fed will pull out this match on experience. Isner might have some nerves being in his first masters final AND having to face Federer for the title.

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 07:21 PM
When is the mens final being played and what time??

VOLLEY KING
03-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Despite the clay surface that they laid down in Switz being bad, there's also the issue how much clay also slows down Fed's game.

Isner's serve/height is big enough that he can still hit aces on clay. So even if his serve is slightly slower on clay the trajectory and bounce are still incredible.

Meanwhile, Fed won't be able to hit through Isner because clay is slowing down his game as well. So aces or service winners end up being returned by Isner who isn't that good of a returner. And shots that might be winners become shots that Isner can chase down despite not having the best movement.

If anything, I'd say clay would favor Isner because he can still hit through people on serve and groundstrokes, and the slowed down pace allows him to stay in points he otherwise might not have on a faster surface. It's the same reason he was able to take Nadal to 5 at the French. Big man's tennis is going to be big man's tennis regardless of the surface.

I'm thinking Fed will pull out this match on experience. Isner might have some nerves being in his first masters final AND having to face Federer for the title.

I see your points and they make sense . But I don't agree with them .

I think the hardcourt favors Isner.

Jokers return is better than Feds . I know that's blasphemy but I personally believe that. I've never seem anyone return like Joker. Greatest of all time returner in my opinion .

There is no one tougher than joker for isner.

Fed is the underdog.

Steve_Fox
03-17-2012, 07:33 PM
i think Roger will win , he just need one game each set with those brilliant shots only he knows

seattle_1hander
03-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Djoker is the greatest returner I have ever seen in my life .

I'm picking Isner.

Again....Murray beat Djokovic in Dubai prior to playing Federer.

I just don't see your points. But it's neither here nor there. We'll see tomorrow.

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Wow the odds really are against Isner... where are the Isner fans!! :)

Cfidave
03-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Isner's is serving out of this world, and hitting lines on groundlies, left and right. I don't think he can keep that level up against Fed on hard court, where he has far less time to react. Fed will exploit his main weakness, which is still movement and speed.

Backhanded Compliment
03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Fed is underdog if Isner serves 74%

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 09:50 PM
What scares me is that Feds finds a way to overcome players strengths. Isner needs his serve to be over 70% or he is indeed screwed but i think he can do it.

SoBad
03-17-2012, 09:58 PM
On the one hand, Federer has learned from Nadal to hit the consistent ball. On the other, Isner obviously has much bigger weapons with his serve, forehand, and netplay and such. Both players are erratic and have limited talent, so the player who makes fewer errors should win the match.

Stringer_Steve
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Isner not know for his endurance ?????

Are you kidding me???

Did you see isner Mahut??

I think isner has zero problems with endurance in a best of three on a hard court.

Did you see the match after Isner vs. Mahut (v 1.0)? He had zero in the tank. That continues to be his achilles heel, his inability to close out a match against the top competition without going the distance always leaves him gassed the next round. Personally, I'd like to see a good hard fought match that comes down to the wire. But sadly, history and his past are squarely against him.
He serves bombs and usually can hold fairly easily. But until he can break an opponent regularly and close out some matches without having to go the distance, his fitness is always going to come into play.

Stringer_Steve
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
On the one hand, Federer has learned from Nadal to hit the consistent ball. On the other, Isner obviously has much bigger weapons with his serve, forehand, and netplay and such. Both players are erratic and have limited talent, so the player who makes fewer errors should win the match.

It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of either bias or just plain ignorance that is posted on this board. I suppose erratic play and limited talent is the winning formula to holding 16 Grand Slam titles :shock:

SoBad
03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of either bias or just plain ignorance that is posted on this board. I suppose erratic play and limited talent is the winning formula to holding 16 Grand Slam titles :shock:

Fereder piled up a bunch of slams because of the weak competition of the era. Already discussed and concluded on here.

Stringer_Steve
03-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Fereder piled up a bunch of slams because of the weak competition of the era. Already discussed and concluded on here.

Concluded by who? A bunch of interweb tennis geniuses?

Dominance does not necessarily = lack of/weak competition. Although I am sure there are a bunch of self proclaimed tennis blowhards that would argue otherwise.

SoBad
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
No, we are the people who know the sport. I can only assume that references to “A bunch of interweb tennis geniuses” and “a bunch of self proclaimed tennis blowhards” are meager attempts to undermine the credibility of the authority on your part here. Look, the facts are already out there and they are not in dispute.

Wilander Fan
03-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Have not seen Isner since that match against Nadal at RG but Nadal was able to neutralize the serve by standing way back. By the 5th set, Nadal was punishing Isner on his serve.

Also, I think Fed has faced two harder servers already in Raonic and Potro. Isner hits it hard but its the angles that people seem to have a problem with.

Stringer_Steve
03-17-2012, 10:58 PM
No, we are the people who know the sport. I can only assume that references to “A bunch of interweb tennis geniuses” and “a bunch of self proclaimed tennis blowhards” are meager attempts to undermine the credibility of the authority on your part here. Look, the facts are already out there and they are not in dispute.

Based on most of the bias and BS I read scanning through here, I seriously question the "people who know the sport" and "authority" of most (not all) on here. That being said, having worked in the tennis industry for nearly 20 years, I can tell you that any indisputable argument of weak competition for Federer's era could easily be made for any era (Sampras, Laver, et all) if one chose to do so. I personally subscribe to the notion that each champion has had their own rivalries and set of circumstances that they have had to compete against and overcome.
Based on your argument, Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Roddick and a whole host of other top calibre competition were "weak competition." Sometimes we loose sight of the ability to appreciate talent because it so dominates an era, thus causing us to look for arguments of why rather than just appreciating what we are seeing. I remember hearing the same argument while Sampras was so dominant.

formula16
03-17-2012, 11:14 PM
trollface.jpg?

sixone90
03-17-2012, 11:27 PM
If Fed can return Karlovic's serves then he can return anyone's serves

jayoub95
03-17-2012, 11:39 PM
If Fed can return Karlovic's serves then he can return anyone's serves

We will see but Isner defs has to engage in rallies. Can't be trying to smack winner from behind the baseline.

Stringer_Steve
03-18-2012, 12:30 AM
We will see but Isner defs has to engage in rallies. Can't be trying to smack winner from behind the baseline.

This^^^

Isner will need to have a 1st serve percentage in the 70s again and that is a tough ask. As soon as the serve gets put back into play, the percentages favor Federer immensely. That being said, Isner does have a chance (if he's not exhausted from his Semi and doubles matches).

Chyeaah
03-18-2012, 01:35 AM

Fed has no chance at No.1. But Murray still does.

Gave up hope on Tomic... first round bombed what is this?

Although I reckon Isner is going to win in 3.