PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think Djoker played a dumb match....

SLD76
03-18-2012, 05:00 AM
...yesterday vs Isner?

I think he was very bad tactically and I could not figure out why.

Was it an ego thing? Was he trying to overpower Isner?
WAs he trying to break down his strokes?
Did he just think Inser would not be consistent?

To me it is obvious that Djoker underestimated Isner's ground
game..but I cant figure out for the life of me when in the rally..

why was he hitting the ball *right to Isner*

Isner didnt even have to move his feet alot of the time!

I came out expecting him to work the angles, push John back, get him moving, use the slice etc...

Instead he fed him a steady diet of comfortable topspin shots that Isner could easily handle.

I was especially shocked when Isner of all people was content to just be consistent and let Djoker be the aggressor :shock:

I was shocked Djoker did not make him pay ..no drop shots, no slice, no working Isner side to side.

In my opinion, Isner serve aside and his valiant effort at returns...tactically that match was an utter fail from Djoker.

Tammo
03-18-2012, 05:09 AM
I think we all underestimate Isner's movement. His coach has really improved his side to side movement, maybe not forward and backward movement as much.

Another thing is that Isner used his slice very effectively, and used it to get back into the point. Isner returned ok too, and that is another much improved aspect of him.

SLD76
03-18-2012, 05:13 AM
I think we all underestimate Isner's movement. His coach has really improved his side to side movement, maybe not forward and backward movement as much.

Another thing is that Isner used his slice very effectively, and used it to get back into the point. Isner returned ok too, and that is another much improved aspect of him.

Oh I agree Isner was playing well.

but lets face it, he aint no simon or nadal.

Yes, his slice did frustrate djoker to no end.

imo there are two kinds of slice, the defensive and the offensive.

obviously offensive slice is used on the volley, approaching net, pulling your opponent out of position etc...

the defensive slice merely takes pace off the ball and resets the point, daring your opponenent to go for an aggressive shot and possibly drawing the error.

Isner is developing a nadal-esque defensive slice, thats for sure.

rommil
03-18-2012, 05:19 AM
One explanation :

Rafa: " hey Nole, I no sure I beat old guy from mountains today, no? I hev no enough practice after you beat me in Kangarooville and Rog playing good backside, no sure I can meet you in finale, no"

Nole: " Maaan, I was counting on you to get to the finals, I already signed a contract buying a condo in the mountains of Palm Springs, I went up there with my rackets the other day. I need that winner's cheque. I don't like when Roger slices the ball, too low. I'm bouncing"

MAX PLY
03-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Actually I thought Novak played pretty well--Isner played as good as I have seen him play. He was playing very close to the baseline and hitting his shots deep to Nole. Novak was having to face a bunch of hard flat forehands and slice backhands--it is very hard to hit sharp angles and drop shots off those shots. Novak did what he could to keep the ball deep because Isner absolutely punished anything hit short.

The only thing shaky about Novak's game was his serve--he needed a little higher percentage of first serves and his second serve let him down at a couple of big moments (a couple of DFs and a couple of forehand sitters).

At that time of day, the court slows the ball down a bit and produces a high bounce--that can really favor guys like Isner and DelPo--the only way you can really blunt that is have really good first strike capability--not Nole's best attribute. Give credit where credit is due--John Isner has been playing the best tennis of his life for the last 6 weeks--I think he will give Fed a tough match today.

Tammo
03-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Isner is also another "one to watch" ever since USO he has done a lot of firsts for him. Firtst Major Quarter, MS1000 Semi and Final, win over a number 1.

cknobman
03-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Like the commentators said Isner took that match from Novak!

Rozroz
03-18-2012, 05:41 AM
the match was still on Djoker's hands, no matter hwo good Isner played.

stringertom
03-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Take nothing from this guy's victory...he earned it. He played big points better, he looked fresher and, IMO, was the hungrier competitor. Djok was humble in his presser. Might be wise to follow step.

Tony48
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
...yesterday vs Isner?

I think he was very bad tactically and I could not figure out why.

Was it an ego thing? Was he trying to overpower Isner?
WAs he trying to break down his strokes?
Did he just think Inser would not be consistent?

To me it is obvious that Djoker underestimated Isner's ground
game..but I cant figure out for the life of me when in the rally..

why was he hitting the ball *right to Isner*

Isner didnt even have to move his feet alot of the time!

I came out expecting him to work the angles, push John back, get him moving, use the slice etc...

Instead he fed him a steady diet of comfortable topspin shots that Isner could easily handle.

I was especially shocked when Isner of all people was content to just be consistent and let Djoker be the aggressor :shock:

I was shocked Djoker did not make him pay ..no drop shots, no slice, no working Isner side to side.

In my opinion, Isner serve aside and his valiant effort at returns...tactically that match was an utter fail from Djoker.

I have no idea why he did this. Honestly, he made Isner look better than he actually was. He ALLOWED Isner to take risks and be aggressive. But Isner had to earn it; it's not as if Djoker set the whole match up for him.

Oh well....

rufus_smith
03-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Doker is a "get every ball back deep with topspin" type of guy and wait for opponent to weaken. He is not a slicer and not an angler. He will punish shorter balls but Isner was not giving those. Isner was either trying for outright winners or sending deep junk balls. This is the opposite of how Rafa plays Dkojer and why Rafa loses to him. Isner was played the best match of his life. jmo