PDA

View Full Version : Greatest serve of all time .

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Isner baby !!! All the way!!!

Rozroz
03-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Isner- the greatest server in all time EVER!!!!!
i can safely say there won't be a better server EVER AGAIN.
i dare anyone just TRY to oppose this.
that's right.
didn't think so.

http://gifsoup.com/view1/1708416/nah-i-m-just-kidding-o.gif

Bobby Jr
03-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Good one. I would rather have Sampras' serve 9 days out of 10.

Why? Variety and clutchness. Two things which Isner can't compete with Sampras at (yet, maybe ever).

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Pancho Gonzalez deserves honorable mention .

He was incredible ....but so long ago.

Roscoe tanner had a sick serve. His toss
Was really low and once he snapped the net cord in two!!!! That's a wore cable.

Roddick did have the fastest serve ever.....

But isner serves from a tree. The angles are amazing. And his percentage is huge.

Second serves are amazing as well.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
03-18-2012, 06:03 AM
LOL at Rafter. So many good serves to choose from, but I chose Goran.

joeri888
03-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Karlovic still tops Isner. Just because Isner discovered a ground game, doesnt make him a better server than Ivo.

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 06:06 AM
LOL at Rafter. So many good serves to choose from, but I chose Goran.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/404736-the-10-best-servers-of-all-time/page/2

Biscuitmcgriddleson
03-18-2012, 06:10 AM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/404736-the-10-best-servers-of-all-time/page/2

Yea that has Federer ranked 4th. And well, no. Federer is not the 4th best server of the open era let alone all time.

stringertom
03-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Coincidence you nominate Isner, Rogi's opponent today??? I think not, you Fedhater. Take your medicine and stop "originating" already-hashed-over threads for the purpose of venting your frustrations. If I nominated Ralph, would you promise to cease and desist, Mr. Edberg?

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Coincidence you nominate Isner, Rogi's opponent today??? I think not, you Fedhater. Take your medicine and stop "originating" already-hashed-over threads for the purpose of venting your frustrations. If I nominated Ralph, would you promise to cease and desist, Mr. Edberg?

Who the hell is Ralph ? I nominate my buddy joe!!! Lol.

Actually I don't hate fed at all. I actually didn't have a favorite player.

I like rafa and Fed but neither plays my style .

Isner plays similar to my game ( I'm a 4.5 version)

stringertom
03-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Who the hell is Ralph ? I nominate my buddy joe!!! Lol.

Actually I don't hate fed at all. I actually didn't have a favorite player.

I like rafa and Fed but neither plays my style .

Isner plays similar to my game ( I'm a 4.5 version)

ROFLMAO! Three separate threads started in one day about the same guy, who before today never garnered any attention from your fragile personality. BTW, you claim Isner plays "similar to my game". If it were true, only a flaming egoist would state it that way. A well-balanced personality would express it more like this..."Were I to compare my 4.5ish game to a top pro, it would be most similar to John Isner." Besides, anyone with anything close to an Isner-style game is a sandbagger to get rated at 4.5.

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 07:28 AM
ROFLMAO! Three separate threads started in one day about the same guy, who before today never garnered any attention from your fragile personality. BTW, you claim Isner plays "similar to my game". If it were true, only a flaming egoist would state it that way. A well-balanced personality would express it more like this..."Were I to compare my 4.5ish game to a top pro, it would be most similar to John Isner." Besides, anyone with anything close to an Isner-style game is a sandbagger to get rated at 4.5.

True. He won me over .

I've never watched him that much before.

But I just love his style of play. He rushes the net.....

There's no one else in the top ten who does that.

Plus he is American. Yeah I'm a huge fan now!

My favorite player for sure!

rofl_copter3
03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Pistol Pete for the win... Times 14...

Rock Strongo
03-18-2012, 07:34 AM
It's Goran and it will always be Goran.

tennis_pro
03-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Come on it really isn't a big deal serving huge at 6 ft9. Name me 1 player who's tall and doesn't possess that weapon.

Gimme Sampras, Becker, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Federer, maybe even Krajicek, besides having a gigantic serve they also had an excellent net game (players from the 90's) or a superb ground game (like Federer does).

[Z]engin
03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Come on it really isn't a big deal serving huge at 6 ft9. Name me 1 player who's tall and doesn't possess that weapon.

Gimme Sampras, Becker, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Federer, maybe even Krajicek, besides having a gigantic serve they also had an excellent net game (players from the 90's) or a superb ground game (like Federer does).

I think DelPo's serve can be better.

Manus Domini
03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Seriously? Rafter and Rusedski and Philippoussis, but no Tillden or Pancho Gonzales?

vive le beau jeu !
03-18-2012, 08:11 AM
It's Goran and it will always be Goran.
+1

but it's true that the giants karlovic and isner have really impressive serves !
by the way, in addition to sampras, philippoussis, etc., no mention of arthurs or pimpim in this thread ?

Rock Strongo
03-18-2012, 08:39 AM
+1

but it's true that the giants karlovic and isner have really impressive serves !
by the way, in addition to sampras, philippoussis, etc., no mention of arthurs or pimpim in this thread ?

Ah yes, PimPim. Everytime I think of him I only think of the wonders he could've achieved. Such a great all-round game, and that serve was like Thor's hammer.

Speaking of Wayne Arthurs, I've heard so much about him but I've NEVER seen him play, even though his career ranged from 1990 through 1994 (when I was born) all the way up to 2007!

kiki
03-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Ever heard of Ellsworth Vines, Pancho Gonzales, John Newcombe?

joeri888
03-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Nobody asks whether its easy or if they have good groundgames. The best serve currently on tour is Karlovic. Period. Isner might be serving well right now, but over a season it's Karlovic, closely followed by Isner and Raonic.

kiki
03-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Boris Becker? Richard Krajicek? Falkenbourg?

TMF
03-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Boris Becker? Richard Krajicek? Falkenbourg?

This is not the greatest serve and volley of all time, but just serve.

Karlovic & Isner are ahead of them.

Spin Doctor
03-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Yea that has Federer ranked 4th. And well, no. Federer is not the 4th best server of the open era let alone all time.

Fed deserves to be on the list even if it is not the best. You all seem to be giving more weight to power and speed. What about variety and placement? Fed's serve is underrated IMO. Its not just about the MPHs.

Limpinhitter
03-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Adjusting for equipment, Pancho! Frankly, this poll is a bit of a joke without Pancho and Federer as options! Rafter? He's not in the top 50!

kiki
03-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Best serve is the one with most points directly or undirectly won with it, not the fastest one.Colin Dibley´s power was awesome yet, like Karlovic today, never got beyond the quarters in any major he disputed.Mac Enroe serve was not the fastest, nor Edberg´s, but they won almost all points if their first serve would be around 55% or so...

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Ivanisevic. Who else has served 1500 aces in a season? Who else averaged 2 service winners A GAME in every Wimbledon he ever played?

Not just the best first serve ever, the best shot in tennis history. I'd take it over Federer's forehand or Agassi's backhand etc.

Limpinhitter
03-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Ivanisevic. Who else has served 1500 aces in a season? Who else averaged 2 service winners A GAME in every Wimbledon he ever played?

Not just the best first serve ever, the best shot in tennis history. I'd take it over Federer's forehand or Agassi's backhand etc.

Even if Ivanisevic's serve is the best shot in tennis history, which I dispute, I would take Federer's forehand over any other shot because it can be used on serve and return games.

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Adjusting for equipment, Pancho! Frankly, this poll is a bit of a joke without Pancho and Federer as options! Rafter? He's not in the top 50!

Pancho was great in his era, but that's because he doesn't have great servers to compare to, which makes him stand out from the crowd. Unlike in the past 20 years, there are so many great servers. Take a look at Roddick, he doesn't get enough credit since he's being compare to Karlovic, Isner, Sampras, Ivanisevic, etc.. Big difference !

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Even if Ivanisevic's serve is the best shot in tennis history, which I dispute, I would take Federer's forehand over any other shot because it can be used on serve and return games.

Ivanisevic hit more winners and won more points with his serve than Federer does with his forehand.

Spin Doctor
03-18-2012, 09:06 AM

I think you need to revisit the grand slam tally for each of these players. I will take Fed's forehand and Agassi's backhand before that serve.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I think you need to revisit the grand slam tally for each of these players. I will take Fed's forehand and Agassi's backhand before that serve.

You don't understand tennis.

You realize Ivanisevic had to hit forehands and backhands, volleys, returns, construct points and hold it together mentally as well? Ever think that might be the difference? Didn't think so.

merlinpinpin
03-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Come on, guys, seriously. Considering the names above, Sampras should win this poll with a 100% score, there really is no question about it. And it would be well-deserved, as he clearly was the best server all-time. Second, I would definitely say Gonzales, who is not even one of the poll options (Pancho, of course, not Fernando Gonzalez...) ;)

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Goran served the most aces because he played so many matches. Karlovic served well over 1,000 aces in 2007 but played LESS matches. Karlovic has a higher aces/per match than Goran in 1996.

2007 Karlovic outperformed 1996 Goran.

Spin Doctor
03-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Deleted so I don't get banned.

kiki
03-18-2012, 09:18 AM
What has this Karlovic or the other Issner ever won? they are regular journeymen, be serious with players that are let in those posts¡¡¡ they dirty it.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Goran served the most aces because he played so many matches. Karlovic served well over 1,000 aces in 2007 but played LESS matches. Karlovic has a higher aces/per match than Goran in 1996.

2007 Karlovic outperformed 1996 Goran.

Ivanisevic definitely had more service winners. And served better for longer too. Absolutely no one could read his serve either. Karlovic's serve gets picked apart by Murray and Federer can handle it to.

Cup8489
03-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Pistol? For sure.

fed_rulz
03-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Ivanisevic definitely had more service winners. And served better for longer too.

and you base this on what, besides nostalgia? oh wait, you're a petetard who has to keep Pete's rivals at the top to make Pete look good.

Cup8489
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Ivanisevic definitely had more service winners. And served better for longer too. Absolutely no one could read his serve either. Karlovic's serve gets picked apart by Murray and Federer can handle it to.

Goran was an incredible server, but if no one could read his serve, he'd never lose matches.

Sorry.

kiki
03-18-2012, 09:26 AM
A Pool with best serve without serve Gods like Kramer,Vines,Gonzales or Newcombe is just a mere joke for newtards...

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:26 AM
and you base this on what, besides nostalgia? oh wait, you're a petetard who has to keep Pete's rivals at the top to make Pete look good.

Well he hit an average of two service winners a game in Wimbledon 2001 for example. He even won a few titles on clay (I think Karlovic won a second tier event on clay once).

No one could read his serve. When Karlovic plays Murray the aces completely disappear.

kiki
03-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Goran was an incredible server, but if no one could read his serve, he'd never lose matches.

Sorry.

sometimes, not even himself could read his own serves...

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Ivanisevic definitely had more service winners. And served better for longer too.

I didn't dispute that had more aces in 1996. I'm just saying he had more because he played more matches than Ivo in 2007. But the better metric is the number of aces per match, which Ivo is higher.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Sorry.

You obviously never watched Goran. He double faulted like crazy and missed his first serve on important points. Head case.

Sampras held serve even better than him and Agassi guessed and got lucky in an important game (aced 40-50 times though).

I didn't dispute that had more aces in 1996. I'm just saying he had more because he played more matches than Ivo in 2007. But the better metric is the number of aces per match, which Ivo is higher.

Yeah Karlovic is the only player who is anywhere near being in Goran's league, but that fact that top players (especially Murray) can read his serve makes it slightly less of a GOAT canditate shot than Goran's in my opinion.

jackson vile
03-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Wait, you have to put Federer on there so all the dopey fan boys can vote for him. LOL

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Absolutely no one could read his serve either. Karlovic's serve gets picked apart by Murray and Federer can handle it to.

But even if you can read Ivo's serve, it's still very tough to return because of the extreme angle and the height of the ball.

Ever thought today's players are superior returner than in the 90s?

Fed and Murray vs Ivo, how many sets were decided in tie-breaker ?

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah Karlovic is the only player who is anywhere near being in Goran's league, but that fact that top players (especially Murray) can read his serve makes it slightly less of a GOAT canditate shot than Goran's in my opinion.

Like I said, today's players are a better retainers. And the condition in the 90s is more suitable for big servers.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:39 AM
But even if you can read Ivo's serve, it's still very tough to return because of the extreme angle and the height of the ball.

Ever thought today's players are superior returner than in the 90s?

Fed and Murray vs Ivo, how many sets were decided in tie-breaker ?

I don't know. I've seen Murray absolutely destroy Karlovic's serve though. Weirdly, and this won't show up in the stats, Karlovic breaks Murray quite a lot, so some of those tie breaks are actually misleading.

Like I said, today's players are a better retainers. And the condition in the 90s is more suitable for big servers.

I don't agree that today's players are better returners, Look at Djokovic's record against Roddick, Isner and Tsonga. And Ivanisevic has a few titles on clay.

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 09:40 AM

All great. All wood . All Isner.

fed_rulz
03-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't know. I've seen Murray absolutely destroy Karlovic's serve though. Weirdly, and this won't show up in the stats, Karlovic breaks Murray quite a lot, so some of those tie breaks are actually misleading.

I don't agree that today's players are better returners, and Ivanisevic has a few titles on clay.

there in lies your problem -- remove your nostalgia-tinted glasses, and you may agree that returners today are indeed better.

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't agree that today's players are better returners, Look at Djokovic's record against Roddick, Isner and Tsonga. And Ivanisevic has a few titles on clay.

Are you saying Goran doesn't have a lousy record against other players, even the lesser players than the one you mentioned above?
Karlovic is a better server than Goran on clay. He holds the record with 78 aces in a match on clay.

kiki
03-18-2012, 09:44 AM
there in lies your problem -- remove your nostalgia-tinted glasses, and you may agree that returners today are indeed better.

said by the profet of nationafedererismus...

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:44 AM

Isner beat Dokovic recently, look at his record against Roddic and Tsonga.

Nadal has losses to Mahut, Florian Mayer etc. Both are vulnerable to big servers.

Federer is definitely one of the absolute best returners of all time though, and so is Murray. But I don't think they're better at returning than Agassi or Hewitt or Courier etc for example.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Karlovic is a better server than Goran on clay. He holds the record with 78 aces in a match on clay.

That doesn't mean he's a better server on clay because he had one great match. Ivanisevic won a few titles on clay.

fed_rulz
03-18-2012, 09:46 AM
said by the profet of nationafedererismus...

ahh, the unintelligible clown is back again.

fed_rulz
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Isner beat Dokovic recently, look at his record against Roddic and Tsonga.

Nadal has losses to Mahut, Florian Mayer etc. Both are vulnerable to big servers.

Federer is definitely one of the absolute best returners of all time though, and so is Murray. But I don't think they're better than Agassi or Hewitt or Courier etc for example.

That doesn't mean he's a better server on clay because he had one great match. Ivanisevic won a few titles on clay.

got it! Peteclowns never fail...

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM

We are simply talking about the serve only, nothing else. Winning a title rely on not just the serve but your overall game.

I feel like i'm talking to nadalwon2012.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:50 AM
We are simply talking about the serve only, nothing else. Winning a title rely on not just the serve but your overall game.

I feel like i'm talking to nadalwon2012.

If you'd watched Goran play and saw how he won 90% of his points you'd realize what I mean.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:51 AM
got it! Peteclowns never fail...

???

Federer has a better return than Sampras, Ivanisevic had a way better first serve than Sampras. What has Sampras got to do with our conversation?

kiki
03-18-2012, 09:52 AM
ahh, the unintelligible clown is back again.

I am sure you never smelt Connors return, did ya? I wonder if even Agassi´s...

TMF
03-18-2012, 09:54 AM
If you'd watched Goran play and saw how he won 90% of his points you'd realize what I mean.

All talk but nothing to back up your opinion.

fed_rulz
03-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I am sure you never smelt Connors return, did ya? I wonder if even Agassi´s...

i'll leave it to clowns like you to smell connors' & agassi's (return) balls

Gorecki
03-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Isner baby !!! All the way!!!

http://marks4glue.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/bandwagon.jpg

fed_rulz
03-18-2012, 09:58 AM

you have high expectations out of pete worshippers...

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 09:58 AM

What can I do? Get tapes of all their matches and sit down and watch them with you?

Devilito
03-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Some of you really fail in understanding the principal on who has the better stroke. Especially on the serve. The definition of a good serve would apply to anybody. So if you took a 5’-5” player some of you think that giving him Isner’s serve would be more effective than Petros’. That’s completely ridiculous. Petros has the best serve in the history of tennis. It would be effective whether you’re 5’ tall or 7’ tall. Isner is an effective server not because of his serve, but because of his size. Does Isner have a bad serve? No, but in no way shape or form does it come close to Petros serve. To look at stats only accounts for effectiveness of the shot when coupled with the physical attributes of the player, not just the shot itself.

Gorecki
03-18-2012, 10:05 AM

there... all the scientific evidence we need. a random article from days ago...

Gorecki
03-18-2012, 10:07 AM

btw dumarse. if that proves Rafter is a top 10 server all time, where is Federer and Becker in your poll?

Rozroz
03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
there... all the scientific evidence we need. a random article from days ago...

it's a crap article. no Isner? :shock:

Gorecki
03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
:neutral:

puzzles me too. it's dead on about Rafter (lol) , but includes Federer (missing at the OP's poll) and misses Isner (who is obviously the best server all time as per our great OP)...

my oh my....

:twisted::twisted:

Rozroz
03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
do the Isner dance!
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/tumblr_llatbbCeky1qbnthu.gif

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Yeah .....they were Great in their time . But tiny wood racquets. Can't compare to modern serves.

VOLLEY KING
03-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Was before isner. Or before anyone ever heard of him.

Federer pushed out of the list by isner .

Biscuitmcgriddleson
03-18-2012, 11:16 AM

According to the bleacherreport you put up earlier, Federer should have pushed out Rafter.

Gorecki
03-18-2012, 11:16 AM

now that is a fair analisys. why not push out of the list the natural nr. 10 ?

possible answer:

1 Because i am the banned member King oF Aces, the dumarse claiming to be posting from his iphone in double spaced lines and running around circular arguments and posting links to random articles as if they prove any of the trash i post

OR

2 because it just suits my Nadal fan agenda

Polaris
03-18-2012, 11:19 AM
True. He won me over .

I've never watched him that much before.]

Awwww. That's so romantic! We are approaching My-Sweet-Nadla levels of warmfuzzyness. :)

kiki
03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
you have high expectations out of pete worshippers...

and you have too high expectations according to you IQ

kiki
03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah .....they were Great in their time . But tiny wood racquets. Can't compare to modern serves.

...which makes even more terrifying to even think what they could do with todays rackets...

fed_rulz
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
and you have too high expectations according to you IQ

oic.. 10morons

IvanisevicServe
03-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeesh...Rafter? I'm fairly confident in saying Rafter's serve was not in the Top 50 all-time. He might be Top 10 all-time at the net, though.

From this poll, I say Karlovic. Without his serve, he's a club player.

I think Wayne Arthurs is in the discussion as well.

As much as I'd love to say Ivanisevic had the greatest serve in history, the reality is, those two hit more aces per match and had far less all-around game.