PDA

View Full Version : Security Stops World #1 Azarenka at BNP Paribas

Milan
03-18-2012, 07:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQOXjLYtvH4

The Security in America is so overkill it's disgusting. The stupid Security Guard didn't realize who she was and stopped her for a few minutes to find her pass. At the US Open, you would think you're at border of Palestine & Israel.

Many of the laws & actions are mimicking what happened in the 1930's....Very sad what's happening there...

OddJack
03-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Haha

It's good for Azarenka's cockiness. She is one of those who needs to be humbled once in a while to keep behaving.
I hope Shara gives her another check today.

CDNguy87
03-18-2012, 07:37 AM

The Security in America is so overkill it's disgusting. The stupid Security Guard didn't realize who she was and stopped her for a few minutes to find her pass. At the US Open, you would think you're at border of Palestine & Israel.

Many of the laws & actions are mimicking what happened in the 1930's....Very sad what's happening there...

So sad but true. Of course Americans wouldn't have any idea who she is (although to be fair most people anywhere wouldn't either), and they probably found her suspicious because of her "weird" name and strange accent.

Sorry for the tangent, but I just got back from a US trip and they make everyone at the airports go through a nude body-scanner, without any protection being provided for the radiation exposure. It's insane how Americans are willing to put up with this based on some extremely overblown terrorist threat (especially when considering that the 9/11 death toll is trivial compared to the number killed by cancer each year).

SStrikerR
03-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Odds are, the security guard doesn't even care about tennis. Nobody outside of tennis fans know many players, apart from the typical Fed/Nadal Serena/Sharapova, etc. It's not that surprising that he didn't know who Azarenka was, that doesn't make him stupid. He just did his job, and you're trying to bash him for it?

Who's the stupid one here again?

phnx90
03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
"Serena would've had this guy in front of the Supreme Court on monday morning" - TokenBrotha

Oh, my tummy, it hurts too much from laughing...

The Pure One
03-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Better to stop her than to have another Monica Seles incident or worse.

Probably she presumed that everybody knows her and got a surprise there!

At the end of the video Vika recognized that the guard is a professional!!!

Cup8489
03-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Honest question.

Who cares? She's supposed to display it on her bag anyway, so she should realize she's at fault

goober
03-18-2012, 08:02 AM
I am not sure what is the big deal? Pretty much 99.9% of non-tennis fans would not know who is Azarenka. I would also bet that a large majority of recreational tennis players would not recognize her if she walked by them on the street in regular clothes.

You paid a security guard do his job, being a tennis fan and knowing which player is which is not a job requirement. I am sure he was told everybody has to come through with credentials- no exceptions. So he is doing what he is suppose to be doing.

Cormorant
03-18-2012, 08:09 AM
I remember this happening to John Roddick at Wimbledon in 2005, when he tried to get into centre court without his pass. "I'm Andy Roddick's brother!" he protested, and for some reason the steward let him through; security was lax that day.

goober
03-18-2012, 08:19 AM
It's insane how Americans are willing to put up with this based on some extremely overblown terrorist threat (especially when considering that the 9/11 death toll is trivial compared to the number killed by cancer each year).

Your analogy makes no sense. What we have to go through for security is trivial.

You don't think people put up with a lot fighting cancer? People spend billions of dollars every year on the prevention, treatment and research for fighting cancer. The total amount of money spent of cancer treatment and research dwarfs that amount of money spent on the TSA. You don't think having a colonoscopy or mammograms every year is putting up with a lot?

What exactly is so onerous about what is being done now? Wow you have to wait in line for an extra 15-20 minutes. Security searches your bags and requires credentials for special events. Yeah I would rather go through chemotherapy than that.

What is the alternative? Just let everybody through, don't check anybody?

nethawkwenatchee
03-18-2012, 08:50 AM
So sad but true. Of course Americans wouldn't have any idea who she is (although to be fair most people anywhere wouldn't either), and they probably found her suspicious because of her "weird" name and strange accent.

Sorry for the tangent, but I just got back from a US trip and they make everyone at the airports go through a nude body-scanner, without any protection being provided for the radiation exposure. It's insane how Americans are willing to put up with this based on some extremely overblown terrorist threat (especially when considering that the 9/11 death toll is trivial compared to the number killed by cancer each year).

Odds are, the security guard doesn't even care about tennis. Nobody outside of tennis fans know many players, apart from the typical Fed/Nadal Serena/Sharapova, etc. It's not that surprising that he didn't know who Azarenka was, that doesn't make him stupid. He just did his job, and you're trying to bash him for it?

Who's the stupid one here again?

"of course Americans wouldn't have any idea who she is"

U.S have no clue whats happening in professional tennis? What are you smoking? Do you have any idea that Americans attend more live tennis events (way more) than any country in the world? If Americans weren't tennis fans... Nike -Adidas (all the big endorsement companies) would probably pull the plug on tennis. We don't watch the tennis channel here in the U.S (there would be no tennis channel) ESPN, Associated Press, ETC?

News flash... tennis and the U.S are instramental and you may not know who Azarenka is if this weren't the case.

[Z]engin
03-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Serena would have called him ugly. :)

sportsfan1
03-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Maybe he just pulled a trick to get a better look at her :). BTW, who was taking the video (, i.e, just press, or some tournament official cos it's uploaded by someone named "wta" ) and what were the comments from the guy?

Dream_On
03-18-2012, 09:01 AM

U.S have no clue whats happening in professional tennis? What are you smoking? Do you have any idea that Americans attend more live tennis events (way more) than any country in the world? If Americans weren't tennis fans... Nike -Adidas (all the big endorsement companies) would probably pull the plug on tennis. We don't watch the tennis channel here in the U.S (there would be no tennis channel) ESPN, Associated Press, ETC?

News flash... tennis and the U.S are instramental and you may not know who Azarenka is if this weren't the case.

Because of course.. America is the only country that matters to any sport, and big American companies such as Adidas wont sponsor a sport that is not big in the usa because its not worth it and no other country in the world has any press or tv channels.

nethawkwenatchee
03-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Because of course.. America is the only country that matters to any sport, and big American companies such as Adidas wont sponsor a sport that is not big in the usa because its not worth it and no other country in the world has any press or tv channels.

My intent was to show that he shouldn't make comments like -U.S doesn't know anything about tennis. This is just crazy, but typical. Americans love tennis and thats why we spend money to support it.

sureshs
03-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Not at all. People with weird accents are quite common, and she does not fit the profile that is commonly associated (rightly or wrongly) with terror. This was just a guy doing his job.

BeHappy
03-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Security is important, just as Monica Seles.

goober
03-18-2012, 10:48 AM
My intent was to show that he shouldn't make comments like -U.S doesn't know anything about tennis. This is just crazy, but typical. Americans love tennis and thats why we spend money to support it.

The problem is he is right. I like tennis and support it, but I represent a very small minority of sportsfans out there.

The truth is the average American doesn't know or care about tennis pros. After Fed won the US Open one year, he was walking down the street in NYC with a camera crew. They were interviewing random people and the majority didn't even know who he was even though he just won the biggest tennis tournament in the US and it was located in New York.

Devilito
03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
The problem is he is right. I like tennis and support it, but I represent a very small minority of sportsfans out there.

The truth is the average American doesn't know or care about tennis pros. After Fed won the US Open one year, he was walking down the street in NYC with a camera crew. They were interviewing random people and the majority didn't even know who he was even though he just won the biggest tennis tournament in the US and it was located in New York.

the average American doesn't know what planet they live on so these videos tell us nothing. I mean how many youtube videos can you find making fun of American ignorance? It’s a genre all unto itself

purge
03-18-2012, 11:45 AM
engin;6403952']Serena would have called him ugly. :)
on the inside

als47
03-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Wait. What's the hubbub here? That a famous person got equal treatment to normal people? :shock:

Oh gosh, how terrible. Poor Azarenka!

texasdoc
03-18-2012, 12:25 PM
she looked hot, nice legs

sureshs
03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
The security guys work for private companies to which the work is contracted out. They may do a tennis event today, a business convention tomorrow, and a golf tourney the day after. It is a job for them. They need not be tennis fans just because they happen to be there and famous names mean nothing to them.

TennisLovaLova
03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
The security guys work for private companies to which the work is contracted out. They may do a tennis event today, a business convention tomorrow, and a golf tourney the day after. It is a job for them. They need not be tennis fans just because they happen to be there and famous names mean nothing to them.

This is the exact reason why this system is failing to detect anomalies when they happen. Those lazy subcontractants are recruited from everywhere without exprerience, they dont even speak correctly...Last year in France, 2 journalists managed to take a commercial flight with Air France and they brought a gun with them on the plane. They made a video of it. Those companies charge a lot of money for a service way below average. All those security guards do is annoy travelers with their condescendant attitude and arrogrance.

Last month I was in nyc, my 2 collegues and I were laughing because the agent had one of them remove his shoes and his socks were torn and dirty. It was really funny we could see his toes. So the lady of the security asked us why we were laughing ( the reason was obvious) and then said in a weird hardcore tone : " maybe it's funny in europe but this is america and it's not funny". She suddenly serioused so we answered: ok you're right, sorry.
Real cool story bro I know but it just shows how pathetic those people can be. Did i mention she was maybe 1,60m for at least 120kgs?

sureshs
03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
This is the exact reason why this system is failing to detect anomalies when they happen. Those lazy subcontractants are recruited from everywhere without exprerience, they dont even speak correctly...Last year in France, 2 journalists managed to take a commercial flight with Air France and they brought a gun with them on the plane. They made a video of it. Those companies charge a lot of money for a service way below average. All those security guards do is annoy travelers with their condescendant attitude and arrogrance.

Last month I was in nyc, my 2 collegues and I were laughing because the agent had one of them remove his shoes and his socks were torn and dirty. It was really funny we could see his toes. So the lady of the security asked us why we were laughing ( the reason was obvious) and then said in a weird hardcore tone : " maybe it's funny in europe but this is america and it's not funny". She suddenly serioused so we answered: ok you're right, sorry.
Real cool story bro I know but it just shows how pathetic those people can be. Did i mention she was maybe 1,60m for at least 120kgs?

It is a posted policy these days that jokes are not allowed in the security area. Though this lady sounds the anal type.

The truth is that many of these staff are not educated people, and many of them are downtown residents near the airport, and would have been working at Burger King otherwise. Before 9/11, they were paid less per hour than the person who worked for a private company in the gift shop. When you have ignorance and petty power combined in the same person, the results can be very ugly.

veritech
03-18-2012, 02:05 PM
if anything malicious happens at this event or any event that they serve as security, they will most likely be to blame. good for him to follow protocol.

Bjorn99
03-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Besides the chemo and catscans, the best thing to bring on cancer is an xray. But chemo and catscans bring cancer to its full finish you right off potential. Just as it is meant to.

boredone3456
03-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Why did she not have her pass ready to present to security in the first place? Number of years she has been on the tour she should know a lot better then that especially simce its not her first time at this tournament. The guy was doing his job...so she was inconvenienced for a few minutes because of it...she should know the rules by now amd be prepared to deal with them.

TennisLovaLova
03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
It is a posted policy these days that jokes are not allowed in the security area. Though this lady sounds the anal type.

The truth is that many of these staff are not educated people, and many of them are downtown residents near the airport, and would have been working at Burger King otherwise. Before 9/11, they were paid less per hour than the person who worked for a private company in the gift shop. When you have ignorance and petty power combined in the same person, the results can be very ugly.

Totally agree. That's gw bush legacy

als47
03-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Totally agree. That's gw bush legacy

It's been four years now, way long enough to get the policies changed if anyone currently in power disagreed with them. Don't you think?

TennisLovaLova
03-18-2012, 03:25 PM
I dont have the power to do anything except maybe when I play tennis.

boredone3456
03-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I dont have the power to do anything except maybe when I play tennis.

Write your elected officials, have other people write their elected officials, start an online petition and email it to people and have them email it to other people. Usually movements start with a handful of people and get bigger. If everyone in history had that attitude America would still be under English rule today.

adventure
03-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I wish she had kicked that fat guy in the nuts.

nethawkwenatchee
03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
the average American doesn't know what planet they live on so these videos tell us nothing. I mean how many youtube videos can you find making fun of American ignorance? It’s a genre all unto itself

Who makes you an authority what "average" American (Canadian, Israeli, Japanese ETC.) people know or do not know? You're post is as ill advised as you're youtube media links! You forget that "America" is a collection of International heritage.

redbirdone
03-18-2012, 07:53 PM
that was one lame "security checkpoint." There are soooo many things wrong with what I just saw in the video...if this is truly a "security checkpoint"

MAX PLY
03-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Didn't stop her from killing Sharapova today.

jamesblakefan#1
03-18-2012, 08:36 PM

You're wrong here. Most of my friends are sports fans and probably the only players they would know are Fed, Nadal, Roddick, maybe Djokovic now on the men's side and the Williams Sisters, Sharapova on the women's side. Throw in Agassi and McEnroe from the retired players. Azarenka is pretty unknown here still, heck Kvitova and Li are too and they won slams as well. Clijsters is unknown too.

Point is, that he's right. Tennis players are pretty unknown here even to most common sports fans outside of the names I listed above. Also all of the examples you listed about how tennis is known here are pretty niche - Tennis Channel isn't even provided on most basic cable packages that I know of, ESPN barely covers tennis on a regular basis unless it's one of the majors or the finals of a masters event, but certainly not daily the way they do w/ the NBA/MLB/NFL. Even golf has a higher profile now than tennis, though that's almost entirely due to one person (Tiger).

Also notice how the big companies that you mentioned (Nike/Adidas) pay the foreign players more while Isner/Roddick/Fish/Querrey/Blake aren't even sponsored by them.

RogerRacket111
03-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Sad statement on the current state of women's tennis. Don't think Roger or Rafa or Serena will get stopped like that.

bluescreen
03-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Sad statement on the current state of women's tennis. Don't think Roger or Rafa or Serena will get stopped like that.

How is this any kind of statement about women's tennis? Security is supposed to follow protocol. If they simply let her in because she was recognizable some malicious person could get in with the same excuse ("you want to see my pass!? I'm famous!")

jamesblakefan#1
03-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Not really. 99% of the men's tour and 98% of the women's tour would get the same treatment. You really think the men's players are that well known outside of Fed, Nadal, Djoker, and maybe Roddick?

nethawkwenatchee
03-18-2012, 10:18 PM
You're wrong here. Most of my friends are sports fans and probably the only players they would know are Fed, Nadal, Roddick, maybe Djokovic now on the men's side and the Williams Sisters, Sharapova on the women's side. Throw in Agassi and McEnroe from the retired players. Azarenka is pretty unknown here still, heck Kvitova and Li are too and they won slams as well. Clijsters is unknown too.

Point is, that he's right. Tennis players are pretty unknown here even to most common sports fans outside of the names I listed above. Also all of the examples you listed about how tennis is known here are pretty niche - Tennis Channel isn't even provided on most basic cable packages that I know of, ESPN barely covers tennis on a regular basis unless it's one of the majors or the finals of a masters event, but certainly not daily the way they do w/ the NBA/MLB/NFL. Even golf has a higher profile now than tennis, though that's almost entirely due to one person (Tiger).

Also notice how the big companies that you mentioned (Nike/Adidas) pay the foreign players more while Isner/Roddick/Fish/Querrey/Blake aren't even sponsored by them.

It's fact that many people don't know alot of tennis players (just as the same is true in Europe, Asia, Australia, ETC.) if you are talking about population percentages v. tennis enthusiasts.

My point doesn't change: this is a generalization to say that Americans are "clueless" about tennis. I can assure you that there are as many or more tennis players/fans just in my state that do watch the tennis channel/ read ESPN press releases, blog on tennis wherehouse talk tennis... heck bye Nike, Adidas, Sergio Tech... because the pros do....ETC. than entire populations of some small countries abroad.

BobFL
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Rules are rules.
If Laver needs to show his credentials to enter "Rod Laver" arena than characters like Vika should just behave as close to mature and professional as possible.

Bartelby
03-18-2012, 10:51 PM
She did behave properly so have you watched the video?

The reality is however any blonde could have gotten through security if she rifled her bag and stole the pass.

Bartelby
03-18-2012, 10:53 PM
The point about a security pass is that you're supposed to carefully scrutinise it and the person holding it, and none of this was done (from the video).

BobFL
03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
She did behave properly so have you watched the video?

The reality is however any blonde could have gotten through security if she rifled her bag and stole the pass.

I haven't. Why would I? I know her personally. She does that kind of cr4p all the time.

DMan
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Who gives a rat's behind who she is anyway? Major league fashion faux pas today in the finals. Hideous outfit! Absolutely disgusting. But compliments her personality and obnoxious screaching. Most disliked #1 in history.

Bartelby
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
What crap? She probably forgot she didn't have it outside her bag.

The security couldn't even see the photo on the pass from that distance.

I think that's not good security.

I haven't. Why would I? I know her personally. She does that kind of cr4p all the time.

BobFL
03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
"I am your new-diva" cr4p.

Bartelby
03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
It's true that she's probably feeling very cocky, if that's the right word.

SLD76
03-19-2012, 12:55 AM
It's true that she's probably feeling very cocky, if that's the right word.

vagina-ey?

Milan
03-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Bottom line is that the overkill on Security in America is so past ridiculous, and the sheeple allow it because they're too cracked up on anti-depressants, coke, & GMO.

US Open is a mini concentration camp the way they herd the people in, check bags, wallets, etc. and then you pay and can't even get into Louis Armstrong Stadium

Miami Sony Ericsson is actually a well-run event but the Tournaments in America are a huge turn off because of this Hitler-Type Security.

I won't even get into the BS about 9/11 & Airport Security.. One big Phony Story.

veritech
03-22-2012, 11:28 AM
The point about a security pass is that you're supposed to carefully scrutinise it and the person holding it, and none of this was done (from the video).

i agree, and no one should be exempt from showing their pass. this whole "she is the no.1 tennis player, she shouldn't be going through this" idea doesn't make any sense to me. security should follow procedures and not let things fall through the cracks, as they are hired to do, or else their presence is entirely pointless.

finky
03-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Security folks are paid minimum wage to ensure that only credential-wearers can pass, end of discussion. The people applying for the job are trying to put food on the table, not expressing a love of the game.We cannot expect them to recognise players. In fact I think that would lead to security lapses.

Of course, this can be irritating. I have seen Kuerten argue for 10 minutes before being allowed on a shuttle bus, even though he was with accredited people. Thats life.

A few years ago I needed to get to a credential only area at the US Open and just strode through unchallenged. Wayne Ferreira, walking right behind me, got stopped! Luck of the draw I guess....