PDA

View Full Version : Capping Head Youtek Radical MP or Switching to Head Youtek IG Speed and or IG Radical

hewittmetfan
03-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Hey guys, I use a Head Youtek Radical MP with RPM Blast strung at 52. Im currently top 200 in the nation in tennis recruiting as a sophomore (4 star) and 15 years old. As I have gotten older I've noticed that I've been getting pushed around a whole lot with the Head Radical MP but I love the feel of the racquet. So I was wondering, do you guys think I should put a CAP grommet on the racquet, switch to Youtek IG Radical MP or Pro, or switch to the Head Youtek IG Speed. I know people have "capped" the Radical before. And any sites I can customize these racquets? Im not a very big kid at all and mostly rely on my speed, crafty ability, and athleticism but its getting to a point where I need to rely hit some harder shots. Any suggestions? Please HELP ME!!!! :confused:

Samo
03-18-2012, 01:27 PM
I know what you mean, because I had exactly the same feeling. You should demo the IG Prestige MP. Very solid, not as soft as radical, but still very soft.

Chesnokov
03-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't abandon the Radicals just yet. Now that you are a bit older and your opponents are hitting a heavier ball, I think you are right to want to add some weight to your sticks via CAP. Rather than CAP, I would start out by adding 3 grams of lead at 3 & 9 and the same amount either under the grip or under the butt cap to keep the balance in the same ballpark. CAPs on a Radical really do change it's characteristics quite a bit and if you are used to playing with one in stock form it would be a pretty big change.

I've found that tweaking a stock Radical gives you a much more versatile racquet than any stock Prestige. I'm now hitting with the Youtek IG Radical Pro which has the CAP grommets stock. I've used all of the previous versions of the Radical MP from Liquidmetal thru Youtek prior to the switch. Really liking its stability. Didn't like the previous Radical Pro versions due to the different head size/shape. I changed the grip to Hydrosorb Tour and added lead under grip to get it up to 340 grams and 6 pts HL.

alidisperanza
03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I know what you mean, because I had exactly the same feeling. You should demo the IG Prestige MP. Very solid, not as soft as radical, but still very soft.

I don't think that's the solution to the op's problem. While the prestige line is fantastic, you need to have the racquet head speed to benefit from the frame. The op mentioned that he's speedy around the court, and uses his athleticism to his advantage but is getting "pushed around." Switching to a prestige will increase his consistency (assuming he likes the stick) but will produce even more of a "sitter" ball".

I wouldn't abandon the Radicals just yet. Now that you are a bit older and your opponents are hitting a heavier ball, I think you are right to want to add some weight to your sticks via CAP. Rather than CAP, I would start out by adding 3 grams of lead at 3 & 9 and the same amount either under the grip or under the butt cap to keep the balance in the same ballpark. CAPs on a Radical really do change it's characteristics quite a bit and if you are used to playing with one in stock form it would be a pretty big change.

I've found that tweaking a stock Radical gives you a much more versatile racquet than any stock Prestige. I'm now hitting with the Youtek IG Radical Pro which has the CAP grommets stock. I've used all of the previous versions of the Radical MP from Liquidmetal thru Youtek prior to the switch. Really liking its stability. Didn't like the previous Radical Pro versions due to the different head size/shape. I changed the grip to Hydrosorb Tour and added lead under grip to get it up to 340 grams and 6 pts HL.

I think Chesnokov hit it right on the head. Adding some weight to the frame without drastically changing the balance will give you a little more plow through on your ball and allow you to adjust your swing gradually at the same time. Depending on how you hit, polarizing the frame (adding Pb at 12 and in the grip) may grant you a bit more access to spin while 3 and 9 will open up your sweet spot a touch more. To simply increase the static weight of the frame, place your strips of lead at the throat.

Once you find a spec you like and you can work with there's all sorts of tweaking to be done. I think my favorite change to my LM radical mps was adding silicone in the handle.

PS Since you're 15 and still developing, I would work on improving your racquet head speed before tweaking a frame. Assuming your ranking is an indication of your ability, you're a solid player. Changing or tweaking a frame will only provide a flimsy bandaid. Work on stepping into the ball and torquing your shots first-- you'll be shocked at how hard you can rip a ball with the silly ol' radical :)

hewittmetfan
03-23-2012, 11:01 AM
thanks a lot everyone this has definately helped :)