PDA

View Full Version : LM Presitge Mid grommets

TheLambsheadrep
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
On my LM Presitge Mid, the highest grommets in both of the 10 and 2 grey/ribbed areas are cracked. im assuming this means i need new CAP grommets...

if so, are LM mid CAP grommets the only ones that will fit, or will any other prestige mid CAP grommets work (without much use of a hair dryer haha)?

TheRed
03-18-2012, 01:14 PM
every single prestige mid grommet will fit

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 08:18 AM
i will get pics up soon, just so people see what im talking about

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 09:57 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38221599@N05/

the first two pictures are from the prestige, the cracks are located roughly at 12 o'clock on the grommet. please let me know if i need new CAP grommets, and again, if any version/generation of the prestige mid CAP grommets would work.

also, if you could look at the video right under IMG_3008 and give your two cents to why one side makes that rattle (discussed in http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=388924 ), that would be much appreciated

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
anyone check out the pics?

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
c'mon people, please

Fuji
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
every single prestige mid grommet will fit

You already got your answer mate!

-Fuji

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
You already got your answer mate!

-Fuji

im just looking for additional conformation. someone gave me advice about other grommets, and they were 90% right, but that 10% cost me a set of CAP grommets and a string job...

do you have any opinion on the video fuji? i took out half of the hoop grommets tonight to see if there was anything under them, didnt see anything but i cleaned it as best as I could anyway. when I went outside to test for the rattle (the same way I did in the video), there was minimal to no rattle, so i have no idea what it couldve been, but its def not a crack and hopefully now its taken care of

Fuji
03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
im just looking for additional conformation. someone gave me advice about other grommets, and they were 90% right, but that 10% cost me a set of CAP grommets and a string job...

do you have any opinion on the video fuji? i took out half of the hoop grommets tonight to see if there was anything under them, didnt see anything but i cleaned it as best as I could anyway. when I went outside to test for the rattle (the same way I did in the video), there was minimal to no rattle, so i have no idea what it couldve been, but its def not a crack and hopefully now its taken care of

I watched the video!

I'm not sure what could be causing it, but as long as it's fixed now that's all that matters eh? :) Next time you are due for a restring, maybe try tubing the grommets and that might help?

-Fuji

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I watched the video!

I'm not sure what could be causing it, but as long as it's fixed now that's all that matters eh? :) Next time you are due for a restring, maybe try tubing the grommets and that might help?

-Fuji

I actually plan to have that racquet strung tomorrow haha. but what is tubing the grommets...?

Fuji
03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I actually plan to have that racquet strung tomorrow haha. but what is tubing the grommets...?

I noticed in your picture one of the grommets seemed to be cracked, I've had this done in a few of my rackets before and it seems to work fine. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=040W5r8F04w&feature=player_embedded#!

It might help the rattle a bit?

-Fuji

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
ya, thats the prestige mid i just got, im stringing the racquet that had the rattle tomorrow. im watching the video tho, something i will def look into doing, just gotta find some tubing. there are also Head YouTek IG Prestige Mid Grommets for around $10, looking into those, but i would think the tubing would be cheaper haha

Fuji
03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Awesome! Tubing is super cheap so it's a quick fix and no real loss if it doesn't work. I liked it on my full gut string jobs to prevent sheering, and I thought it might be helping for you to check out. :)

-Fuji

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
def searching for it now

TheLambsheadrep
03-20-2012, 08:23 PM
how does this product look?

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-305-Teflon-Tubing/dp/B002N4R2CA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332300133&sr=8-3

Fuji
03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
That looks pretty similar to what I got! Here is what I have in my house all the time. It does come in smaller reels though.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GTUBE50.html

-Fuji

TheLambsheadrep
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm guessing the gauge of Teflon/Nylon Tubing needs to be about 1.5mm for the Inner diameter and the Outer diameter to be about 1.8mm? this is an online purchase option

TheLambsheadrep
03-22-2012, 08:27 AM
meh, I'm just gonna buy new CAP grommets, ordering 10' of Gamma tubing will cost a little more than the grommets. but I will always keep the tubing in mind, thanks fuji

Fuji
03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey bud!

Nylon tubing is stretchable, so when you stretch it, it thins out, so diameter isn't too hard to obtain from standard gauge. :)

-Fuji

esgee48
03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
I keep teflon tubing around for when it's needed. Don't use it much as most times, I replace the grommet for myself or the customer.

As far as the rattle, if the grommet is split, it will sometimes vibrate against the frame on strokes. I suspect that is what you may be hearing. Just for me, when I wipe or clean a racquet prior to stringing, I use furniture polish to somewhat revitalize the plastic grommet. They do dried out and have a tendency to split.

TheLambsheadrep
03-22-2012, 09:51 AM
As far as the rattle, if the grommet is split, it will sometimes vibrate against the frame on strokes. I suspect that is what you may be hearing. Just for me, when I wipe or clean a racquet prior to stringing, I use furniture polish to somewhat revitalize the plastic grommet. They do dried out and have a tendency to split.

the rattle is in my Ti. Carbon 6000, not the prestige mid that has the split grommets. and i wouldnt hear it on strokes, just if i tapped it on the ground on that one side

when i took out half of the Ti. Carbon grommets in the hoop, i checked for cracks/splits and couldnt find any. i blew thru the grommet holes in the racquet to remove any possible debris, and when i put the grommets back in and tapped the racquet on both sides like i did in the video, it was hardly noticable to non existant. so hopefully that rattle is done with