PDA

View Full Version : Confused about which racquet to use...Need Help

Ojibway
03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I am a strong 3.5 player. I play 3 times a week for the most part of year. I like to play more singles but lately been playing a lot of doubles as well. I have a good WW forehand, good backhand slice, decent volleys and good serves (though consistency is an issue on serves).

For over a year, I had been playing with PB10 Mid and I did really well with the racquet most of the time. But when I started participating in more tournaments, I felt that the weight of the racquet was too much for me. After my first match I would start hitting frame more often, my serves will slow down significantly and over all my patience in rallying goes down. Bottom line, I was not winning many matches in tournaments.

So few months ago, I made a switch to BLX Blade 98 and liked it a lot for the baseline rallies. I was able to sustain long rallies without problem. I also like the Wilson grip shape more than Volkl. I have not had a chance to use it in a tournament yet.

But when I took the Blade for my doubles matches, my volleies were terrible, I could not control or react, the touch was not there. I tried Blade for a month and finally went back to PB10 mid.

My vollies are again great with PB10 but I am strugling with my baseline game. For some reason, I cannot hit WW forehand consistently with PB10 Mid, as compared to BLX Blade 98.

For some reason, I feel that the swing weight and flex of Blade is making it difficult for me to volley. One thing that I feel strongly is that I need a larger head size than 93 sq. in.

What do you suggest?

Should I keep trying with Blade or demo some other racquets. Or should I work on my game with PB10.

lulo
03-18-2012, 09:53 PM
I think you need to work with a racket that's a bit lighter with 95 headsize because it seems like the PB10 or the Blade is too heavy for you

Ojibway
03-19-2012, 06:35 AM
I think you need to work with a racket that's a bit lighter with 95 headsize because it seems like the PB10 or the Blade is too heavy for you

Thanks Lulo. I was thinking the same. I don't feel that Blade 98 static weight is an issue but certainly the swing weight is a problem. I was planning to demo ProStaff Six One 95 as it is very in the middle of PB10 Mid and BLX Blade.

tennisjon
03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
If you like the feel of a racquet, but the balance is off, I would add a wrap of lead in the handle, thus making the racquet more headlight and then add 4 strips of lead 1.5 inches long at 3 and 9 on the racquet for extra stability. Try that before switching racquets. Lead tape only costs like $3 or 4 per roll. That being said, you are playing with a pretty small-headed racquet for someone at the 3.5 level. I would try Head Youtek Speed, Dunlop 400, or Wilson Juice.

Ojibway
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
If you like the feel of a racquet, but the balance is off, I would add a wrap of lead in the handle, thus making the racquet more headlight and then add 4 strips of lead 1.5 inches long at 3 and 9 on the racquet for extra stability. Try that before switching racquets. Lead tape only costs like $3 or 4 per roll. That being said, you are playing with a pretty small-headed racquet for someone at the 3.5 level. I would try Head Youtek Speed, Dunlop 400, or Wilson Juice.

Thanks. I hope you are suggesting the customization to Blade 98. I have lead tape that I can use. I will try this later this week. On PB10 mid, I tried to add lead in past. It felt great but gets too heavy for me.

I agree that I need to get a bigger head size. That's why I went with Blade 98. I can try Youtek Speed for free, we have most of the head racquets readily available at my club. I use to play with Radical but did not like the grip shape of head. I will give Youtek Speed a try for sure.

Ojibway
03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
I think I am most likely going with IG Radical. Though it is not much different from Blade 98, I felt it was better in volleys. I did not like Speed so much, very low powered and small sweetspot. Prestige was very good but too heavy for me.

sunof tennis
03-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks Lulo. I was thinking the same. I don't feel that Blade 98 static weight is an issue but certainly the swing weight is a problem. I was planning to demo ProStaff Six One 95 as it is very in the middle of PB10 Mid and BLX Blade.

The PS95 is a nice racquet. It is quite low powered though. I am guessing that the PB10 mid is probably a little difficult for a 3.5 and the BLX Bade may be too head heavy which is causing you to have some mobility problems with the volley. THe PS95 is much more head light and might work for you. easier to play with than the PB10 as well.

Ojibway
03-22-2012, 03:56 PM
The PS95 is a nice racquet. It is quite low powered though. I am guessing that the PB10 mid is probably a little difficult for a 3.5 and the BLX Bade may be too head heavy which is causing you to have some mobility problems with the volley. THe PS95 is much more head light and might work for you. easier to play with than the PB10 as well.

I was almost placing order for Radical but now I feel that I should demo PS95. What else should I try with it?

TheDLink
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I think I am most likely going with IG Radical. Though it is not much different from Blade 98, I felt it was better in volleys. I did not like Speed so much, very low powered and small sweetspot. Prestige was very good but too heavy for me.

This is it.

Ojibway
03-31-2012, 07:16 PM
I am planning to demo - MG Radical MP, IG YOUTEK Radical MP, IG YOUTEK Prestige S and Wilson ProStaff 95.

I keep playing with my PB10 Mid so I think all these racquets will certainly give me lighter feel that I was getting from Blx Blade 98 and will have less SW as compared to Blade.

Any other suggestion? Also PB10 Mid is in mid 320s and BLX Blade 98 is 334ish in SW but I feel a lot of difference. Some of the racquets I am planning to demo are pretty low in SW, I hope I don't run into problem with the new racquet. The think I don't like about demo is I only have a week and some racquet always feel good the first time around.

spaceman_spiff
04-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Keep in mind that I've never seen you play. That said, I have seen several people play doubles with the BLX Blade, and I've never heard any of them complain about control on any shots.

Given the description of the problem in the OP, my guess is that you have a tendency to swing at your volleys. A frame with a small sweet spot like a mid with a low swingweight would let you get away with that, because any shots you catch wrong won't have enough power to go long or wide.

On the other hand, a frame with a higher SW, bigger head, and stiffer beam will have a much bigger sweetspot, so your incorrectly hit volleys will have more power, especially on off-center shots, resulting in more missed volleys. (The ball is going the direction your racket is pointing, but your racket is pointing the wrong direction; with a more powerful frame, the ball will go even farther in the wrong direction.) Also, swinging volleys take longer to execute with a higher SW, which is highlighted in those reflex situations. So, you end up with a frame which feels sluggish and hard to control.

Unfortunately for you, that increased power (due to the SW and stiffness) is probably what is responsible for your improved groundstrokes with the Blade, because you can get the power you want with a slower, smoother swing, which results in fewer mistakes and less fatigue. Any frame with a lower SW and softer flex than the Blade (like the Radical MP) will have a smaller sweet spot and require you to swing faster, which will result in the same fatigue and mistakes you're getting with the PB10 mid (or nearly as bad).

If you can hit serves and groundstrokes well with the Blade, then the best thing would be to stick with it and work on your volley technique, simplifying it down to a punch/block so that you can direct the ball accurately. That simplified motion will also bring better results on those reflex shots, since you really shouldn't be swinging at those anyway, regardless of which frame you use. If you can't serve and/or hit groundstrokes well with the Blade, then you'll want to look at other frames.

That's just my guess given the available information.