PDA

View Full Version : Federer's possible return to world No.1 Wozniacki style?

GasquetGOAT
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Will he be criticized for not having won a slam en route to regaining the top spot?

Will he be labelled as "undeserving" of the top ranking just as Caroline did?

Mustard
03-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Will he be criticized for not having won a slam en route to regaining the top spot?

He wouldn't care. 2 more weeks at number 1 would see Federer become the record holder for number of weeks at number 1. At the moment, Federer is 1 week short of Sampras' record.

tata
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Dude the guy has 16 slams. Woz gets slammed because she is number 1 and does not have any slams at all.

DarthFed
03-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Dude the guy has 16 slams. Woz gets slammed because she is number 1 and does not have any slams at all.

/thread
16majors

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 12:47 AM

That's certainly true, but if Fed does get back to No.1 without winning a slam I'm sure the Nadal fans" won't be so easy on him. I wouldn't be surprised if Fed were to been slammed for winning mickey mouse tournaments and undeserving...

ChanceEncounter
03-19-2012, 12:51 AM
That's certainly true, but if Fed does get back to No.1 without winning a slam I'm sure the Nadal fans" won't be so easy on him. I wouldn't be surprised if Fed were to been slammed for winning mickey mouse tournaments and undeserving...
Not real Nadal fans. Real Nadal fans give Federer all the credit in the world. They know that Nadal's legacy is largely dependent on Federer being no worse than 2nd in the GOAT standings.

T-shirt Nadal fans already give Federer crap for everything, so that wouldn't change.

RCizzle65
03-19-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't see how he can get back to number one without winning a slam, unless he totally sweeps up the masters events or something.

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 12:52 AM
He wouldn't care. 2 more weeks at number 1 would see Federer become the record holder for number of weeks at number 1. At the moment, Federer is 1 week short of Sampras' record.

Of course he wouldn't care, but the internetS care! What would the Nadal fans say? What about Sampras fans? (or are they the same bunch?)

MG1
03-19-2012, 12:52 AM

Who really cares ..nadal fans are not the tennis authority!!

joeri888
03-19-2012, 12:54 AM

They already complain that Fed can get Nadal's no. 2 ranking while Nadal has way better slam results in the last 4.
What they forget is that Nadal became no. 1 for a second time in 2010 with these slam results:

Federer: W,W,F,Q
Nadal: W,S,Q, dnp

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't see how he can get back to number one without winning a slam, unless he totally sweeps up the masters events or something.

It certainly looks that way at the moment. He hasn't lost a best of 3 set match since like last August(?), but I don't see him beating Nadal or Djokovic in a slam. His best chance is to reach as many slam semis or finals as possible to rack up the ranking points.

joeri888
03-19-2012, 01:05 AM
It certainly looks that way at the moment. He hasn't lost a best of 3 set match since like last August(?), but I don't see him beating Nadal or Djokovic in a slam. His best chance is to reach as many slam semis or finals as possible to rack up the ranking points.

He can beat one of them on any day, but two back to back will be tough. I still see him close to being a 50-50 against Djokovic everytime except for on AO soil.

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 01:10 AM
It will be a legitimate feat, since he has to do better than two guys, that are in their primes and have dominated the tour in the last 2 years, while he is in his thirties.

On the other hand, Federer haters will grasp at anything, that will give them consolation, should such a thing happen.

nadalwon2012
03-19-2012, 01:18 AM

I wouldn't worry. It'll never happen. Federer would have to beat Nadal at the slams to get the number one ranking. Federer can't dominate the clay season. Djokovic dominated it last year and Nadal usually does. No room for Federer to pick up points there. And then will come the slams where Federer will actually have to play best-of-5. Nadal can gain big at 3 of the 4 slams, because last year he only won Roland Garros. Federer can't gain big, because he isn't a best-of-5 set player in this new physical era - hence he's only made one slam final in the last 2 years (and he lost it 6-1 in the 4th set).

TopFH
03-19-2012, 01:33 AM
^Man, are you mentally deficient?

Russeljones
03-19-2012, 01:38 AM

ORLY???

Any comparison between Federer and the pushing Dane is a bad attempt at humor. There will never be criticism of Federer becoming world #1 because his name is synonymous to success. Not something you can say about that girl (yet).

nadalwon2012
03-19-2012, 01:41 AM
^Man, are you mentally deficient?

You think Federer will dominate the clay season? Over Nadal and Djokovic? :lol:

merlinpinpin
03-19-2012, 01:42 AM

If he gets #1 at 31 in the "strongest era ever", to quote the Nadal fans? That would be GOAT-style rather than Woz-style... ;)

nadalwon2012
03-19-2012, 01:45 AM
If he gets #1 at 31 in the "strongest era ever", to quote the Nadal fans? That would be GOAT-style rather than Woz-style... ;)

Nobody would care. All people will see is that Federer will retire without having won a slam since the 2010 AO. He will probably play another 4 years and end up retiring with no slams in his last 6 years lol.

RCizzle65
03-19-2012, 01:48 AM
I still think Federer has a slight advantage over Djokovic, I mean come on, he was the only person to beat him at a slam last year, and at the US Open, he was up two sets and was one point away from beating him in the 5th set. Clearly he knows what to do to beat him and execute. But against Nadal, we all know that story...

Rhino
03-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Surely nobody can ever label Federer of "undeserving" anything in tennis.

If that's how he does it, then so be it. I'll take it.

Colin
03-19-2012, 01:52 AM
With all that Djokovic has taken from Nadal, I wonder whether this title drought and performance decline is a Machiavellian scheme by Rafa to steal a record that Nole holds very dear to his heart. ...

Most consecutive weeks as world number 3: 91 (20072009)

The sooner Fed moves up, the sooner Rafa can start preparing for his cunning attack, making sure to hold off Andy Murray, for he's not quite ready to contend for the record of consecutive weeks at No. 4, but no doubt he has that one in mind next.

nadalwon2012
03-19-2012, 01:57 AM
With all that Djokovic has taken from Nadal, I wonder whether this title drought and performance decline is a Machiavellian scheme by Rafa to steal a record that Nole holds very dear to his heart. ...

Most consecutive weeks as world number 3: 91 (2007–2009)

The sooner Fed moves up, the sooner Rafa can start preparing for his cunning attack, making sure to hold off Andy Murray, for he's not quite ready to contend for the record of consecutive weeks at No. 4, but no doubt he has that one in mind next.

Federer will need to win something during the clay season. Not likely, with Djokovic/Nadal so dominant in those events. And at Wimbledon, Federer looks extremely vulnerable vs the big hitters, hence QF exits 2 years in a row. And the biggest problem for Federer is that he has to defend a truckload of points after the US Open. Federer could drop out of the top 3 because of that. Meanwhile Nadal can gain huge after the US Open.

Colin
03-19-2012, 02:10 AM
Federer will need to win something during the clay season. Not likely, with Djokovic/Nadal so dominant in those events. And at Wimbledon, Federer looks extremely vulnerable vs the big hitters, hence QF exits 2 years in a row. And the biggest problem for Federer is that he has to defend a truckload of points after the US Open. Federer could drop out of the top 3 because of that. Meanwhile Nadal can gain huge after the US Open.

Fed hasn't lost a three-set match since last summer, and he's won six of his past eight tournaments (would have been favored in Doha, too, if he didn't have to withdraw). He's lost only two matches since that great U.S. Open semi he was on the verge of taking. And one was in Davis Cup, arguably never Fed's brightest passion.

Meanwhile, Nadal hasn't won any tournaments since the last clay season and is now forced to find solace in his defeat of great players such as Marcel Granollers and blame the "crazy wind" despite his reputation as an outdoor beast impervious to the caprices of nature. He also hasn't proven in the past year that he can beat his main nemesis. Fed has done so in two of their past three encounters.

Which of these situations would cause one more concern?

nadalwon2012
03-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Fed hasn't lost a three-set match since last summer, and he's won six of his past eight tournaments (would have been favored in Doha, too, if he didn't have to withdraw). He's lost only two matches since that great U.S. Open semi he was on the verge of taking. And one was in Davis Cup, arguably never Fed's brightest passion.

Meanwhile, Nadal hasn't won any tournaments since the last clay season and is now forced to find solace in his defeat of great players such as Marcel Granollers and blame the "crazy wind" despite his reputation as an outdoor beast impervious to the caprices of nature. He also hasn't proven in the past year that he can beat his main nemesis. Fed has done so in two of their past three encounters.

But Nadal has made the 2011 US Open final and 2012 Australian Open final. That is more impressive than winning a few non-slams. His form has been excellent away from clay. Therefore on clay he has a huge opportunity to gain points at Rome (where he made the final 2011) and Madrid (where he made the final 2011).

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 02:22 AM

You are using logic here. That doesn't work with the VB. For a taste of their behaviour, when they are proven wrong, refer to the this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=417347

They are good for only one thing. Excelling as Court Jesters.

Colin
03-19-2012, 02:23 AM
But Nadal has made the 2011 US Open final and 2012 Australian Open final. That is more impressive than winning a few non-slams. His form has been excellent away from clay. Therefore on clay he has a huge opportunity to gain points at Rome (where he made the final 2011) and Madrid (where he made the final 2011).

Yes, Rafa has made a name for himself in being No. 1 among the losers in the past year. But for someone who has always seemed to enjoy the aspect of winning more than the game itself, you have to wonder how long the thrill of tennis will continue. I'm sure having six titles instead of a handful of runner-up trophies could have made a difference in his mindset.

But what if that mentality of always being second-best has shaken him to his very clay core and he ends up with no clay titles? (Maybe not even his beloved Monte Carlo!)

If he can't beat Fed in a tennis contest and he can't beat Djokovic in an endurance contest, then what does he have?

BeHappy
03-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Federer is truly dominating this year, it's possible he will have a better year than Djokovic did.

Nadal is not playing well at all and if Federer can somehow get to a French open final against Djokovic I'd back him to win. Federer could finish the year with 3 slams and an Olympic Gold medal, and a better win loss record than Djokovic's last year.

joeri888
03-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Federer is truly dominating this year, it's possible he will have a better year than Djokovic did.

Nadal is not playing well at all and if Federer can somehow get to a French open final against Djokovic I'd back him to win. Federer could finish the year with 3 slams and an Olympic Gold medal, and a better win loss record than Djokovic's last year.

Well, this is very very unlikely. Not to say delusional. I'd sign up for one Slam and the no. 1 ranking right now.

sunny_cali
03-19-2012, 02:43 AM

Well - he's Fed anything *could* happen. But, it never ceases to amaze me how much people live in the moment. Yes, Fed has won everything in sight the past few months, except where it mattered most -- but these have largely been on surfaces that suited him. In IW he was a tad lucky he didn't run into some of the grinders, Murray, Simon et. al. Let's see for starters if he can continue the winning streak in Miami. If he does win there (i expect him to go out in the SF), then we maybe onto something.

I am also not sure if the winning streak is good for Fed, it's interesting that he has chucked out his usual strategy of being lackdaiscal for the Masters -- at his age it should be about peaking for the Slams. There is a good chance he might run out of gas by the time we get to the FO/Wimbledon stretch.

Let's enjoy the great run while it lasts and not worry his records. He has too many of those as it is!

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 02:46 AM
Well - he's Fed anything *could* happen. But, it never ceases to amaze me how much people live in the moment. Yes, Fed has won everything in sight the past few months, except where it mattered most -- but these have largely been on surfaces that suited him. In IW he was a tad lucky he didn't run into some of the grinders, Murray, Simon et. al. Let's see for starters if he can continue the winning streak in Miami. If he does win there (i expect him to go out in the SF), then we maybe onto something.

I am also not sure if the winning streak is good for Fed, it's interesting that he has chucked out his usual strategy of being lackdaiscal for the Masters -- at his age it should be about peaking for the Slams. There is a good chance he might run out of gas by the time we get to the FO/Wimbledon stretch.

Let's enjoy the great run while it lasts and not worry his records. He has too many of those as it is!

Well, that made my day. So, Nadal is not a grinder?

BeHappy
03-19-2012, 02:58 AM

Nadal has been moving very badly since that USO final last year. And by "badly" I mean he's moving like a normal player. I really wasn't impressed with his level of defensive play yesterday at all.

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Nadal has been moving very badly since that USO final last year. And by "badly" I mean he's moving like a normal player. I really wasn't impressed with his level of defensive play yesterday at all.

So, is he a grinder or not?

nadalwon2012
03-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Nadal's movement, like it or not, was hurt by his foot injury at Wimbledon (suffered vs Del Potro). Nadal said before the US Open that he was not ready physically, because he had not been able to train after Wimbledon. We saw the result of this when he had nothing left in the US Open final, and really only got by on adrenaline which he ran out of in the 4th set breadstick.

Nadal at the Australian Open, is the fittest he's looked at an Australian Open for 3 years.

rommil
03-19-2012, 03:14 AM

Fed now is a honey badger, he doesn't give a ***** :)

Jack Romeo
03-19-2012, 03:16 AM
the general sentiment is that winning a grand slam has to come first before getting to number one. roger has 16 so if he does get to the top without a slam it won't be taken against him, just as davenport and hingis weren't criticized as badly as wozniacki, safina and jankovic.

BeHappy
03-19-2012, 03:22 AM
Nadal's movement, like it or not, was hurt by his foot injury at Wimbledon (suffered vs Del Potro). Nadal said before the US Open that he was not ready physically, because he had not been able to train after Wimbledon. We saw the result of this when he had nothing left in the US Open final, and really only got by on adrenaline which he ran out of in the 4th set breadstick.

Nadal at the Australian Open, is the fittest he's looked at an Australian Open for 3 years.

Disagree, thought he moved amazingly well in the USO, and was 2 steps slow in the AO, but the slow surface helped him out.

Uncle Toni isn't letting Nadal complain about his injuries anymore. It's been very noticeable.

BeHappy
03-19-2012, 03:25 AM
So, is he a grinder or not?

Not right now. When Rusedski hurt his shoulder so he couldn't serve over 130mph anymore was he still a big server? No.

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Not right now. When Rusedski hurt his shoulder so he couldn't serve over 130mph anymore was he still a big server? No.

Did you watch the AO final?

Big_Dangerous
03-19-2012, 03:31 AM

I don't think he can get back to #1 in the men's game without winning a slam to be honest with you.

Fed's not going to play all these **** *** 250's...

Plus we're heading into the clay season as well.

I mean look at what Djokovic had to do to get the #1 ranking last year

Win AO, and Dubai
Win both Indian Wells and Miami
Win Madrid and Rome
Semi-Finals at RG
Win Wimbly

Didn't officially take over the #1 ranking until after Wimbly ended...

So he had to win 4 Masters 1000 series, a 500, and two Grand Slams, along with a Semi-Final appearance at the French Open...

I won't say Fed can't pull something like that off, but to play at such a high level consistently, is extremely hard to do.

BeHappy
03-19-2012, 03:33 AM
Did you watch the AO final?

Did you? The court was slow and Djokovic was hitting the ball slowly up the middle.

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 03:48 AM
Did you? The court was slow and Djokovic was hitting the ball slowly up the middle.

Yes, I did. If that is not exquisite grinding I don't know what is. Look at the number of winners from Nadal.

Feather
03-19-2012, 03:54 AM

Very well said.

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 04:03 AM
I don't think he can get back to #1 in the men's game without winning a slam to be honest with you.

Fed's not going to play all these **** *** 250's...

Plus we're heading into the clay season as well.

I mean look at what Djokovic had to do to get the #1 ranking last year

Win AO, and Dubai
Win both Indian Wells and Miami
Win Madrid and Rome
Semi-Finals at RG
Win Wimbly

Didn't officially take over the #1 ranking until after Wimbly ended...

So he had to win 4 Masters 1000 series, a 500, and two Grand Slams, along with a Semi-Final appearance at the French Open...

I won't say Fed can't pull something like that off, but to play at such a high level consistently, is extremely hard to do.

This year Fed has an advantage compared to Djokovic's last season is that he has already accumulated 3000 pts post US Open (Basel + Paris + WTF) which means Fed does not need to match what Djokovic did pre-US Open last year. He just needs to stay ahead in points of Djokovic and Nadal can win THIS season. Forget about last season, nobody in their right mind is expecting Djokovic to repeat his 2011.

Its true this means Fed has more points to defend at the end of season but Fed's (or majority of his fans) priority at this stage is to regain the No.1 spot for two more weeks thus breaking the record, not finishing the season as No.1 (which of course would be a pleasant bonus). The former is likely achievable.

sunny_cali
03-19-2012, 04:09 AM

yes he is - he had a bad day - Fed did not. Some think that this is the beginning of some new trend, I do not. I expect that Nadal will have more than his fair share of success against Fed this year.

My point was that in IW, Fed met the kind of players that he has traditionally owned. Big servers, power hitters with relatively poor movement. That is the kind of player he always dominated. He was relatively luckier not to meet the kind of player he struggles with on these slower surfaces.

merlinpinpin
03-19-2012, 04:10 AM
yes he is - he had a bad day - Fed did not. Some think that this is the beginning of some new trend, I do not. I expect that Nadal will have more than his fair share of success against Fed this year.

My point was that in IW, Fed met the kind of players that he has traditionally owned. Big servers, power hitters with relatively poor movement. That is the kind of player he always dominated. He was relatively luckier not to meet the kind of player he struggles with on these slower surfaces.

Ahem. So I'm afraid we get to ask the question again--doesn't he usually struggle against Nadal on these slower surfaces?

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 04:14 AM

You mean, like .... Nadal?

sunny_cali
03-19-2012, 04:30 AM
You mean, like .... Nadal?

Yes. Read the post again, and read the original post again. Don't get too excited with one win. Wait and watch. That might be just too much to ask of people who get carried away by one performance.

sunny_cali
03-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Ahem. So I'm afraid we get to ask the question again--doesn't he usually struggle against Nadal on these slower surfaces?

yes. which is why is lost to nadal at AO. He won yesterday. Not a trend. For the trend go back and look at H2H.

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 04:36 AM
yes. which is why is lost to nadal at AO. He won yesterday. Not a trend. For the trend go back and look at H2H

Except, you was specifically talking about IW:

In IW he was a tad lucky he didn't run into some of the grinders

Boy, I love *****. It is like having Christmas every day.

I wonder what would have the VB said, should Nadal have gotten the draw Federer had.

sunny_cali
03-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Except, you was specifically talking about IW:

Boy, I love *****. It is like having Christmas every day.

I wonder what would have the VB said, should Nadal have gotten the draw Federer had.

So ? If anyone is the **** it is you. You latch on to one irrelevant statement and ignore the substantive portion of the mail -- which is this -- Don't get carried away because Fed won one tournament. Wait and watch what happens.

DRII
03-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Yes. Read the post again, and read the original post again. Don't get too excited with one win. Wait and watch. That might be just too much to ask of people who get carried away by one performance.

Exactly; great point! I've never seen Nadal play so horribly without any obvious injury. That was not a beat-down by Federer ala last year's WTF win over Nadal; it was just Nadal not putting in any effort after the first 6 games.

If the match had gone the way the first 6 games went, the match would have been another near Nadal/Federer classic (no matter who would have won)...

TopFH
03-19-2012, 04:46 AM
You think Federer will dominate the clay season? Over Nadal and Djokovic? :lol:

When did I say that?

You said that Federer has no opportunity to win points during the clay season. He actually does. He can gain points in very Masters 1000, especially at MC and Rome.

tenniselbow1
03-19-2012, 04:50 AM
Nobody would care. All people will see is that Federer will retire without having won a slam since the 2010 AO. He will probably play another 4 years and end up retiring with no slams in his last 6 years lol.

Speaking of titles.. When was the last one your boy Rafa got one? It's been so long I can't even remember:) My God was it the French? He could go titleless this year:)

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 04:52 AM
So ? If anyone is the **** it is you. You latch on to one irrelevant statement and ignore the substantive portion of the mail -- which is this -- Don't get carried away because Fed won one tournament. Wait and watch what happens.

Do stupidities come naturally to you, or you are having special training to spew them all over the place? Fed did not win one tournament recently. If you haven't noticed 6 wins out of 8 tournaments he entered is ALREADY a trend, and from quite some time.

Also, if certain facts in your statement do not go well with the overall idea of your post you should get them straight. Otherwise they nullify your statement.

FYI, I am not into this "Federer is going to have a type of year, like the one Djokovic had in 2011". Most of the reasonable posters are not into it as well.

Oh, by the way, I quite like, how you call your own facts "one irrelevant statement". Like I said, it is like Christmas.

phnx90
03-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Not real Nadal fans. Real Nadal fans give Federer all the credit in the world. They know that Nadal's legacy is largely dependent on Federer being no worse than 2nd in the GOAT standings.

T-shirt Nadal fans already give Federer crap for everything, so that wouldn't change.

...suggesting that all Nadal fans care about is Nadal's legacy, rather than Nadal himself, and that all Nadal fans consider h2h to be the most important aspect of the GOAT discussion (all idiots maybe, but not all Nadal fans)

sunny_cali
03-19-2012, 05:03 AM
Do stupidities come naturally to you, or you are having special training to spew them all over the place? Fed did not win one tournament recently. If you haven't noticed 6 wins out of 8 tournaments he entered is ALREADY a trend, and from quite some time.

Also, if certain facts in your statement do not go well with the overall idea of your post you should get them straight. Otherwise they nullify your statement.

FYI, I am not into this "Federer is going to have a type of year, like the one Djokovic had in 2011". Most of the reasonable posters are not into it as well.

Oh, by the way, I quite like, how you call your own facts "one irrelevant statement". Like I said, it is like Christmas.

Pipe down jackass. Read the mail -- he won tournaments on surfaces that suited his game. The moment he played in a place that didn't suit his style he lost - yet again to his nemesis. He won two more on surfaces that suit him. IW is the first tournament where you'd expect Rafa to win, but he had a bad day -- in part due to the conditions, and in part to a very good Fed. All the opponents (bar Nadal -- oh yes, this is the parenthetical disclaimer that I should have added, and missed out, that got the **** in you full of righteous indignation) are the ones that he'd own. The same opponents might have given Nadal fits, but that is way matchups work.

This is very encouraging from a Fed fan's perspective, and kudos to him, but it is not yet a trend. 5 of the 6 wins have come on fast surfaces or surfaces with a low bounce. If he wins in Miami, and wins against either Nadal/Djoker in the clay swing, we can most definitely call it a trend. Till that point, enjoy the moment and wait and watch.

sheq
03-19-2012, 05:14 AM
This year Fed has an advantage compared to Djokovic's last season is that he has already accumulated 3000 pts post US Open (Basel + Paris + WTF) which means Fed does not need to match what Djokovic did pre-US Open last year. He just needs to stay ahead in points of Djokovic and Nadal can win THIS season. Forget about last season, nobody in their right mind is expecting Djokovic to repeat his 2011.

Its true this means Fed has more points to defend at the end of season but Fed's (or majority of his fans) priority at this stage is to regain the No.1 spot for two more weeks thus breaking the record, not finishing the season as No.1 (which of course would be a pleasant bonus). The former is likely achievable.

You explain the situation very well, all Federer fans and surely Federer's yourself care about getting no1 position for just 2 weeks more. ( ending the year as no1 would be great too but its not that important at the moment)

Therefore, Roger doesnt have to do win all to gain no1 spot because he has already gained some big points last 6 months. He just need keeping it up for 6 months more. After that, we might talk about ending the year as no1.

sheq
03-19-2012, 05:18 AM
by the way the fact that Nadal owns Federer mostly doesnt give him any extra points. He have to learn how to win some tournements again to have any chance being no1 again or protect his no2 status which is a case in these days !

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 06:42 AM
He can beat one of them on any day, but two back to back will be tough. I still see him close to being a 50-50 against Djokovic everytime except for on AO soil.

I still don't see him beating Nadal in a slam final though. Maybe in the 2015 Wimbledon final when they finally speed up the grass.

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 06:44 AM
by the way the fact that Nadal owns Federer mostly doesnt give him any extra points. He have to learn how to win some tournements again to have any chance being no1 again or protect his no2 status which is a case in these days !

True, getting to No.2 is the key. Need King Novak to take out the Rafa before the final.:twisted:

jackson vile
03-19-2012, 06:44 AM

That would be interesting, never see that before. The women would really let the men have it, for all the times the men complained about the WTA.

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 06:53 AM

lol, many Nadal fans on here only give Federer credit when Nadal is also in the conversation. Whether its a weak or strong era depends largely on if the word "Nadal" was mentioned, or not.

cknobman
03-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Lets not jump the gun here people. A bad result at the FO for Fed could spoil any plans at regaining number 1 by Wimbledon.

I actually think Rafa could pick up number 1 before Fed seeing how Djoker picked up so many clay titles pre FO last year which usually would be in Rafa's hands.

jackson vile
03-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Lets not jump the gun here people. A bad result at the FO for Fed could spoil any plans at regaining number 1 by Wimbledon.

I actually think Rafa could pick up number 1 before Fed seeing how Djoker picked up so many clay titles pre FO last year which usually would be in Rafa's hands.

You think anyone else besides Nadal can defeat Federer at the FO?

FlashFlare11
03-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Novak Djokovic.

merlinpinpin
03-19-2012, 07:01 AM
That would be interesting, never see that before. The women would really let the men have it, for all the times the men complained about the WTA.

Just proves how little you know about tennis, I'm afraid... ;)

Hint: a slamless player (and I really mean slamless, not like "16-slam-winner slamless") got to the #1 spot not so long ago. Think Chilean...

jackson vile
03-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Just proves how little you know about tennis, I'm afraid... ;)

Hint: a slamless player (and I really mean slamless, not like "16-slam-winner slamless") got to the #1 spot not so long ago. Think Chilean...

He ended the year #1? Wow, you are so well educated :roll:

cknobman
03-19-2012, 07:04 AM

No under normal circumstances I dont.

But I also realize anyone is prone to a "bad day at the office" and I also realize the Roger the last 2 years has been very susceptible to those radom "bad days at the office" so I try not to pencil his name in anywhere or take any match for granted.

jackson vile
03-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Novak Djokovic.

Wait, so all of you guys claimed Federer was so amazing for defeating Novak only once in his 2011 season at the FO. However, now you claim that is the player and place that he is going to have all the trouble??????? :shock:

merlinpinpin
03-19-2012, 07:08 AM
He ended the year #1? Wow, you are so well educated :roll:

That has never been the subject in this thread. Or did you fail to read the previous messages before you started tolling? :roll:

FlashFlare11
03-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Wait, so all of you guys claimed Federer was so amazing for defeating Novak only once in his 2011 season at the FO. However, now you claim that is the player and place that he is going to have all the trouble??????? :shock:

Is that what I said? I only said he's capable of beating Federer there. You don't agree?

monfed
03-19-2012, 07:15 AM

He was a point away from losing to freakin Haas of all people at RG 09. A big hitter can take him out too(see Soderking 2010). However it would be a surprise if he lost to anyone other than Nadal/Nole.

zagor
03-19-2012, 08:00 AM

And you claimed Fed's win over Novak 2.0 in 2011 FO was a fluke (heck I've ever seen you claim that a 25 year old Fed would never beat Novak 2.0) and now suddenly you changed your tune? Who's the bigger hypocrite here LOLville?

FlashFlare11
03-19-2012, 08:11 AM
And here I thought you were becoming more open-minded and less of a troll.

Dude, I think I speak for everyone here (except your pal devila, who also suffers from this problem) when I ask of you to please read the posts before actually responding. It's quite frustrating to have to point out specific parts of the posts you quote everytime you respond.

monfed
03-19-2012, 08:21 AM
And here I thought you were becoming more open-minded and less of a troll.

Dude, I think I speak for everyone here (except your pal devila, who also suffers from this problem) when I ask of you to please read the posts before actually responding. It's quite frustrating to have to point out specific parts of the posts you quote everytime you respond.

Took you so long to figure that out? Well better late than never!

FlashFlare11
03-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Took you so long to figure that out? Well better late than never!

Well, after the ban, it seemed for about a week that he hadn't been trolling much and was just here to discuss tennis. We actually had a good discussion. I guess Federer winning recently was too much to handle.

TMF
03-19-2012, 08:26 AM

WTF and and 2 MS so far is not a mickey mouse titles.

TMF
03-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Dont see anything wrong with his movement at IW. His court coverage was excellent.

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 08:42 AM
WTF and and 2 MS so far is not a mickey mouse titles.

Non-mickey mouse titles: Olympic Gold, Monte Carlo and slams.

Mickey mouse titles: The rest (including WTF).

*Nadal fan mode*

merlinpinpin
03-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Non-mickey mouse titles: Olympic Gold, Monte Carlo and slams.

Ahem. You forgot Barcelona.

BigServer1
03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't worry. It'll never happen. Federer would have to beat Nadal at the slams to get the number one ranking. Federer can't dominate the clay season. Djokovic dominated it last year and Nadal usually does. No room for Federer to pick up points there. And then will come the slams where Federer will actually have to play best-of-5. Nadal can gain big at 3 of the 4 slams, because last year he only won Roland Garros. Federer can't gain big, because he isn't a best-of-5 set player in this new physical era - hence he's only made one slam final in the last 2 years (and he lost it 6-1 in the 4th set).

This post is psychotic...

Nadal won Monte Carlo and the French Open, and made finals at Rome, Madrid, Wimbledon and the US Open. Can you spot the chances for him to gain big points? The guy hasn't won a tournament in 10 months, and you're expecting him to sweep the rest of the year. Even true Nadal fans can't possibly expect that from him.

Federer on the other hand, can pick up points in Rome and Madrid, Wimbledon and the US Open. Defending his FO points may be tough, but he has room to improve on nearly every other result he had from 2011. In regards to him not being a 5 set player anymore...He's lost to Nadal and Djokovic in tough 4 and 5 setters in the last two Slams. That's hardly cringeworthy, and he had opportunities in both matches to take control (especially the US Open, having 2 MPs...).

Federer isn't playing at the same level that he was 5-6 years ago, especially in Slams, but to write him off completely, given what he's accomplished over the last 5 months is asanine.

pmerk34
03-19-2012, 09:42 AM
This post is psychotic...

Nadal won Monte Carlo and the French Open, and made finals at Rome, Madrid, Wimbledon and the US Open. Can you spot the chances for him to gain big points? The guy hasn't won a tournament in 10 months, and you're expecting him to sweep the rest of the year. Even true Nadal fans can't possibly expect that from him.

Federer on the other hand, can pick up points in Rome and Madrid, Wimbledon and the US Open. Defending his FO points may be tough, but he has room to improve on nearly every other result he had from 2011. In regards to him not being a 5 set player anymore...He's lost to Nadal and Djokovic in tough 4 and 5 setters in the last two Slams. That's hardly cringeworthy, and he had opportunities in both matches to take control (especially the US Open, having 2 MPs...).

Federer isn't playing at the same level that he was 5-6 years ago, especially in Slams, but to write him off completely, given what he's accomplished over the last 5 months is asanine.

Have you forgotten the board you are posting on? Half of the stuff here is hyperbolic. Nadal loses a 6 hour match in the AO finals and it's "he played horribly his BH is horrible". (never mind he was playing the best player on earth right now). Djokovic loses a nail biter to Isner and it's " he has no second serve it's terrible". Federer loses a titanic battle to Djokovic and it's "He choked he has zero mental strength". Before the last year and half when Roddick still possessed his old serve if he lost to Federer then his serve was "over rated" and he "doesn't place it well". Verdasco's footwork is "terrible" and he's a "Clown" etc etc.

I haven't checked yet, is Isner's serve now over rated? Do people consider it a "joke" because he lost to 30 year year old Federer who is basically "crippled" out there?

seattle_1hander
03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
http://b.crazzy.se/meanwhile-at-ops-house.jpg

RogerRacket111
03-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Wozniaki - 0 GrandSlams
Roger - 16 GrandSlams

jokinla
03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Wow, if this isn't the GOAT troll thread, I don't know what is.

dudeski
03-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Also Davis Cup counts but only singles Olympics gold medal counts.

Marius_Hancu
03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

yes
OP: think first, then post

ChanceEncounter
03-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Wozniaki - 0 GrandSlams
Roger - 16 GrandSlams
Doesn't count, obviously. Unless you're currently holding all of the grand slams and barcelona, singles olympic gold, and davis cup at once, being #1 doesn't matter.

/sarcasm

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 11:00 PM
yes
OP: think first, then post

Do you really know what this thread is about?

Read first, then post. Thank you.

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 11:05 PM

Damn how can I forget about the second most prestigious clay tournament on the calender! :oops::-|:-|

Tennis_Hands
03-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Pipe down jackass.

Looks like it is you, who needs to calm down.

Read the mail -- he won tournaments on surfaces that suited his game. The moment he played in a place that didn't suit his style he lost - yet again to his nemesis. He won two more on surfaces that suit him. IW is the first tournament where you'd expect Rafa to win, but he had a bad day -- in part due to the conditions, and in part to a very good Fed.

Oh, I see. :oops:

Do you honestly believe, that the weather conditions favoured one of the players over the other?

Besides, the trend is not about Federer beating Nadal. The trend is about Federer playing well without any cosiderable slumps (I think AO SF is excellent result for Federer). The fact, that you think, that the trend is about Federer beating Nadal, speaks volumes. I mentioned Nadal, because you made some absurd claims in your post. I was laughing, reading how you think, that Federer was supposed to have problems with grinders, when he was dealing with ease with some of the hottest players on tour at the moment.

All the opponents (bar Nadal -- oh yes, this is the parenthetical disclaimer that I should have added, and missed out, that got the **** in you full of righteous indignation) are the ones that he'd own. The same opponents might have given Nadal fits, but that is way matchups work..

No. You made a claim, that Federer would have had problems should he have met Simon, Murray etc. Given, that Nadal wasn't able to handle Federer very well for whatever reason, it is highly unlikely, that players of lesser magnitude of the same breed would have fared well against Fed.

This is very encouraging from a Fed fan's perspective, and kudos to him, but it is not yet a trend. 5 of the 6 wins have come on fast surfaces or surfaces with a low bounce. If he wins in Miami, and wins against either Nadal/Djoker in the clay swing, we can most definitely call it a trend. Till that point, enjoy the moment and wait and watch.

Why are you even posting in this thread?

And I am enjoying the way Federer plays recently, thank you.

Tony48
03-19-2012, 11:52 PM
He's already on Nadal's heels and he isn't even holding a slam, while Nadal holds RG and 3 other finals.

sunny_cali
03-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Do you honestly believe, that the weather conditions favoured one of the players over the other?

To an extent they did. Watch the end of the match when Nadal was getting in his groove. If Nadal had won the point at 4-5, 30-30 things might have got really interesting.

Besides, the trend is not about Federer beating Nadal. The trend is about Federer playing well without any cosiderable slumps (I think AO SF is excellent result for Federer). The fact, that you think, that the trend is about Federer beating Nadal, speaks volumes. I mentioned Nadal, because you made some absurd claims in your post. I was laughing, reading how you think, that Federer was supposed to have problems with grinders, when he was dealing with ease with some of the hottest players on tour at the moment.

The fact is I was responding to someone who claimed that Fed would end up having a Djoker like season. The response was not to get carried away but one win. And no, losing in the AO SF for the 2nd year running and yet again to his nemesis is not a good result, whichever way you wing it.

No. You made a claim, that Federer would have had problems should he have met Simon, Murray etc. Given, that Nadal wasn't able to handle Federer very well for whatever reason, it is highly unlikely, that players of lesser magnitude of the same breed would have fared well against Fed.

Maybe - maybe not. I am pretty certain he'll have more problems with the grinders than the big lumbering severs. Why would the mere suggestion that he would have trouble offend you ?

Why are you even posting in this thread?

And I am enjoying the way Federer plays recently, thank you.

Who are you anyway ? I'll post in any thread I feel like -- don't need your permission, kiddo. And oh, btw, I am a Fed fan, and not a **** like you.

joeri888
03-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Do you really know what this thread is about?

Read first, then post. Thank you.

Yeah, watch out for us *******s. The point is it'll never be seen as Wozniacki style, because he has proved so many times that he can do it on the big stage. He would be forgiven for the fact that he cannot compete with Novak and Rafa in best of 5. He's older, way past his prime, and it's not that he's just not good enough mentally and when it matters. It would be weird if Federer was no. 1 while Novak holds 3 out of four grand slams (which is actually possible!) but if it happens, Federer will be applauded for going a full year with hardly any losses in best of 3 tennis.

I think the men's ranking system works very fair.

Tennis_Hands
03-20-2012, 02:59 AM
To an extent they did. Watch the end of the match when Nadal was getting in his groove. If Nadal had won the point at 4-5, 30-30 things might have got really interesting..

Nadal was competitive at the beginning of the match (first couple of games). Were the conditions any different , than those in the later stages of the match? I don't think so. You are grasping at straws, trying to proove your case. Pointing at one point (not even a break point) and speculating about the outcome is really desparate.

The fact is I was responding to someone who claimed that Fed would end up having a Djoker like season. The response was not to get carried away but one win. And no, losing in the AO SF for the 2nd year running and yet again to his nemesis is not a good result, whichever way you wing it..

Why does your response belittle Federer's efforts? I don't think, that your purpose was to "stop people from being carried away".

And, at the age of 31 and playing SF is not a good result? I guess you are used to seeing so many modern tenis players, aged 31, playing SF in Majors, so it is not a big deal for you. Please, enlighten us, how many of those players have played SF at the AO in the last 5 years?

Maybe - maybe not. I am pretty certain he'll have more problems with the grinders than the big lumbering severs. Why would the mere suggestion that he would have trouble offend you ?.

You continue posting the same stupidities. Explain, how is that, that Federer was going to have problems against the likes of Simon, when he comfortably has beaten Nadal? Offended :lol:

Who are you anyway ? I'll post in any thread I feel like -- don't need your permission, kiddo. And oh, btw, I am a Fed fan, and not a **** like you.

My question was refering to the irrelevance of your posts, not to your rights to post in any thread.

You are Federer fan, allright. :oops:

sunny_cali
03-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Why does your response belittle Federer's efforts? I don't think, that your purpose was to "stop people from being carried away".

Why do you think it belittles him ? Don't try to presume too much - you aren't bright enough.

And, at the age of 31 and playing SF is not a good result? I guess you are used to seeing so many modern tenis players, aged 31, playing SF in Majors, so it is not a big deal for you. Please, enlighten us, how many of those players have played SF at the AO in the last 5 years?

You think Federer plays at the age of 31 so he can please the fangirl in you by reaching SF's ? He plays because he thinks he has chances to win. If he thought that a SF was all he could achieve he'd stop playing.

You continue posting the same stupidities. Explain, how is that, that Federer was going to have problems against the likes of Simon, when he comfortably has beaten Nadal? Offended :lol:

How did he have problems with Simon all the times he lost or in fact won ? Will he comfortably beat Nadal the next time they play on a slower surface ? Will he comfortably beat him on the stretch from Miami to FO ? Again the concept is obviously strange for a fangirl, but one match does not make a summer. No question he did well by trouncing Nadal, conditions or not, but if you have watched Rafa play in the past and have some sense of objectivity then you'd realize that Rafa wasn't quite Rafa.

My question was refering to the irrelevance of your posts, not to your rights to post in any thread.

And your inanity is relevant how ?

You are Federer fan, allright. :oops:

Correct. Check my posting history. You on the other hand are a touchy ****. Now go get your mom's permission and play some tennis

Tennis_Hands
03-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Why do you think it belittles him ? Don't try to presume too much - you aren't bright enough.

Bringing in bad weather, draws and whatnot to "explain" the reality does not exactly show your appreciation of what Federer has done lately.

You think Federer plays at the age of 31 so he can please the fangirl in you by reaching SF's ? He plays because he thinks he has chances to win. If he thought that a SF was all he could achieve he'd stop playing.

SF is a good result for a 31 year old tennis player. But, since you call for caution, and people not getting carried away, I cannot help but wonder, are you not carried away with your expectations for Fed to reach every Major final there is and win it, no less? I think there is some cotroversy here. Please, explain.

How did he have problems with Simon all the times he lost or in fact won ? Will he comfortably beat Nadal the next time they play on a slower surface ? Will he comfortably beat him on the stretch from Miami to FO ? Again the concept is obviously strange for a fangirl, but one match does not make a summer. No question he did well by trouncing Nadal, conditions or not, but if you have watched Rafa play in the past and have some sense of objectivity then you'd realize that Rafa wasn't quite Rafa.

So, when Nadal loses he is not at his best. Got it.

In fact, why are you arguing about Simon etc. Where was Simon in all those tournaments, to prove you right? Or Murray, for that matter.

BTW. Could you possibly show one post of mine, where I jump the "Federer will have a Djokovic 2011 like 2012". Talking about lacking perspective.

Correct. Check my posting history. You on the other hand are a touchy ****. Now go get your mom's permission and play some tennis

Like I said, it is like Christmas.

Ontopic: If Federer is to regain the number 1 ranking, noone in his right mind will think of that as undeserved or compare it with what Woz has done. However, that is not very likely to happen, unless he remains very consistent.

sunny_cali
03-20-2012, 06:59 AM
SF is a good result for a 31 year old tennis player. But, since you call for caution, and people not getting carried away, I cannot help but wonder, are you not carried away with your expectations for Fed to reach every Major final there is and win it, no less? I think there is some cotroversy here. Please, explain.

We aren't talking about any 31 year old - we are talking about the best player of the last decade. Coming of the highs of a 25+ match winning streak, and losing to his nemesis yet again has to be disappointing to anyone who's watched and admired Fed for the last decade, not to mention himself.

Where did I say he was going to win every Major ? Again don't presume too much. He was in an ideal position mentally and physically to finally turn the tables on Rafa at the AO - he failed. And no, I don't expect him to win any Major -- I'd love to see him retire with another Wimby title, but my head says that might not happen.

So, when Nadal loses he is not at his best. Got it.

Not at the WTF, but here he certainly had trouble with the conditions - it's surprising since the conditions should have suited him more than Fed, but he certainly was AWOL for most of the match. Sorry, that's just the way I see it.

In fact, why are you arguing about Simon etc. Where was Simon in all those tournaments, to prove you right? Or Murray, for that matter.

Obviously there is no proof -- it's speculation. When the draw came out my first reaction was Fed had a nasty draw. Watching the matches however, it seemed apparent that literally all his opponents (bar Nadal) played the kind of tennis that plays right into Fed's hands. A grinder, especially one that he has had trouble with historically, when he was sick the 1st few days, would have troubled him more. We can agree to disagree and move on.

Ontopic: If Federer is to regain the number 1 ranking, noone in his right mind will think of that as undeserved or compare it with what Woz has done. However, that is not very likely to happen, unless he remains very consistent.

Now we finally agree on something, and this was precisely what I intended to convey in my 1st post. Of course, the Woz. comparison is too silly and a ruse by the *******s to rile the other group around here. My last post on this topic - i have work to do, just I am sure you have other better things to do!

FlashFlare11
03-20-2012, 07:09 AM
The point about Wozniacki is moot. She hasn't show that she can win a slam. Federer is a proven 16-time GS champion.

Now, while the slams are the most pretigious events a tennis player can win, rankings-wise, you can make it up. The rankings reflect players' results over the year. Slams account for only a combined 8 weeks out of the 48 weeks on the ATP calendar. If Federer doesn't win a slam, but still gets to No. 1, it shows that he was the best player most of the time.

tudwell
03-20-2012, 07:16 AM
I think it's worth mentioning that both Ivan Lendl and Pete Sampras first held the number one ranking without having won a slam in the previous 52 weeks. If Federer does the same this year (as unlikely as that is), then he'd be joining a pretty solid list of names.

woodrow1029
03-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Not true. The Nadal fans that are actually fans of tennis will be fine. The TalkTennis Nadal Moron Club won't be easy on him though.

joeri888
03-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Not true. The Nadal fans that are actually fans of tennis will be fine. The TalkTennis Nadal Moron Club won't be easy on him though.

Hey Woodrow, since you don't do any pro tennis more as an official (thats correct right?) are you a ****, a **** or a djard? Or what's your favourite player?

Been wondering :)

woodrow1029
03-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Hey Woodrow, since you don't do any pro tennis more as an official (thats correct right?) are you a ****, a **** or a djard? Or what's your favourite player?

Been wondering :)

I actually don't have a favorite player. If I had to choose a few, I guess I would say I enjoy watching Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Nalbandian the most. I get bored watching Djokovic and Murray. But, I watch tennis because I love to watch tennis. I am not a "****" of anyone, which is why I never bash anyone on here.

Favorite players ever since I started watching tennis are (were) Chang, Edberg and Grosjean. Got to umpire 2 Chang matches (at challengers late in his career) and 1 Grosjean match (at Kooyong, only an exo, but it was against Agassi, so that was fun).

GasquetGOAT
03-21-2012, 06:12 AM

I would argue at this stage it is a likely possibility that Federer will regain the No.1 ranking. Fed has shown an amazing consistency in the first 1/4 of season which he haven't been able to for years, also consider the points he's accumulated at the end of last season he is in the driving seat right now. Fed might just do it like how he surprised most of us for the first 3 month of 2012.

GasquetGOAT
03-21-2012, 06:19 AM
Yeah, watch out for us *******s. The point is it'll never be seen as Wozniacki style, because he has proved so many times that he can do it on the big stage. He would be forgiven for the fact that he cannot compete with Novak and Rafa in best of 5. He's older, way past his prime, and it's not that he's just not good enough mentally and when it matters. It would be weird if Federer was no. 1 while Novak holds 3 out of four grand slams (which is actually possible!) but if it happens, Federer will be applauded for going a full year with hardly any losses in best of 3 tennis.

I think the men's ranking system works very fair.

lol, no one guessed I was one of them?;P I absolutely agree with this, personally I wouldn't give a frack how he gets back to No.1, just get there, for two weeks and we all be happy. But I also know the Nadal fans won't be convinced if that's how he gets there.:)

I think it's worth mentioning that both Ivan Lendl and Pete Sampras first held the number one ranking without having won a slam in the previous 52 weeks. If Federer does the same this year (as unlikely as that is), then he'd be joining a pretty solid list of names.

This is a good point, never realised it. A solid list of names indeed!

GasquetGOAT
03-21-2012, 06:22 AM

Can't argue with that.

Juan Ma Del Pony
03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
I think it will be ironic if Federer *does* return to the No. 1 ranking without having won a Slam in the past 52 weeks, considering how he bashed Jankovic at the end of 2008 for doing just that...

TMF
03-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I think it will be ironic if Federer *does* return to the No. 1 ranking without having won a Slam in the past 52 weeks, considering how he bashed Jankovic at the end of 2008 for doing just that...

That's not what Federer really meant. I believe Fed suggested Jankovic should win a slam first, afterward it''s OK to be #1.

rommil
03-21-2012, 10:22 AM

I hope he does, just for the sole purpose of giving you a critical fodder:)

Juan Ma Del Pony
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I hope he does, just for the sole purpose of giving you a critical fodder:)

Well it won't just be me, it'll be a good deal of the tennis world shining some light upon this fact. Either way, I'll believe it when I see it. It's too early to think of ******** reaching #1 right now with the lead that Djoker has over the rest of the field, even if ******** does usurp Rafa's #2 position at some point in the clay season.

Nathaniel_Near
03-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I can see Nadal doing really well as per usual during the clay season, more or less maintaining his current points total. I worry more for Djokovic at the moment, who might well be in the process of dropping many ranking points. I think RG could be a pivotal tournament.

DeShaun
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Federer may have tried his hand at peaking only for the slams during the past couple of years only to discover that his confidence level was playing perhaps a greater role in his ultimate performance in those biggest of tourneys than he had figured. Now more than ever before, he may be knowingly putting forth his greatest effort in each and every tourney he enters, however big or small, in the hope of establishing and maintaining some confidence that could get him over the hump or keep him optimally tuned up during slams.

If Rafa wants to try peaking only for the slams and somehow is knowingly allowing himself to put in an underperformance or two at these smaller tourneys, good luck with that; but it didn't seem to work very well for Federer, although, for Pete is did work somewhat.