PDA

View Full Version : Fed's backhand? Isn't it the forehand?

joeri888
03-19-2012, 06:14 AM
To me, usually the last few years, when Federer lost those crazy sets and matches against journeyman, it was often more the forehand malfunctioning, not being reliable and all, then his backhand. He seems to have solved this. His forehand looks great again, and he rarely loses sets he shouldnt at this moment.

I think I haven't seen a match with Fed spraying errors on his forehand all day long since last summer?

How does he do this? Did he make a change? Is he more focused? Does he have mroe confidence?

Slice&Smash
03-19-2012, 06:28 AM
He's just moving better.

SLD76
03-19-2012, 06:37 AM
....when did he lose against journeymen? Seems to me he loses exclusively to players in the top 10, and sometimes to those players outside of the top 20 who used to be in the top 10 or better yer, world number 1.

joeri888
03-19-2012, 06:40 AM
....when did he lose against journeymen? Seems to me he loses exclusively to players in the top 10, and sometimes to those players outside of the top 20 who used to be in the top 10 or better yer, world number 1.

Benneteau in Paris 2010, Baghdatis in IW 2010, no 32. ranked Hewitt (not completely fair), and losing sets left and right. To me, it's just usually the forehand misfiring when he loses to people he shouldnt lose to.

MAX PLY
03-19-2012, 06:44 AM
He changed to a 110 racquet painted to look like a 90 because he did not want to give an obvious admission to all of the knowledgable posters here of his need to increase headsize.

(pssst: between you and me, I think it is really better footwork getting him in a better striking position (as the unknowledgable posters have been saying for years--but don't tell them that))

joeri888
03-19-2012, 06:48 AM
He changed to a 110 racquet painted to look like a 90 because he did not want to give an obvious admission to all of the knowledgable posters here of his need to increase headsize.

(pssst: between you and me, I think it is really better footwork getting him in a better striking position (as the unknowledgable posters have been saying for years--but don't tell them that))

How is his footwork improving at 30?

stringertom
03-19-2012, 06:54 AM

I heard it was a 135-inch, and did you see him use it as a crutch on his limp to the bench on changeovers? I love the collapsible tripod that extends out of the Amplifeel handle. Wilson has some crazy technology for geriatric tennis!

monfed
03-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Fed just doesn't have the same power he used to generate in his prime off his FH ie. the way the ball would just jump out of his racquet,"swoosh and its out of here". Even if he mistimed it a bit it still had enough sting to penetrate the court. The past couple of years that sting has gone unless he times it well which comes down to his movement which inturn has declined the most.
The last few months he's cut down errors from his FH wing but it's still shaky sometimes.

merlinpinpin
03-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Ahem. Has to be both backhand *and* forehand, of course. Eagle needs both wings so he can soar, you know the drill... ;)

President
03-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Fed just doesn't have the same power he used to generate in his prime off his FH ie. the way the ball would just jump out of his racquet,"swoosh and its out of here". Even if he mistimed it a bit it still had enough sting to penetrate the court. The past couple of years that sting has gone unless he times it well which comes down to his movement which inturn has declined the most.
The last few months he's cut down errors from his FH wing but it's still shaky sometimes.

I think Federer has purposefully tried to hit his forehand flatter since about 2008. He knows he doesn't move as well as he used to, so he tries to end points earlier. To do this, he's lowered his racquet head speed a little bit which probably leads to the effect you are talking about; his forehand isn't as heavy as it used to be. Still a great shot, of course.

Wilander Fan
03-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Practice I would think. Its the first thing to go when you dont drill it even at the highest level. You take smaller strides, dont move your feet...etc. For example, pro footballers still practice dribbling around cones etc. You could see Fed recently moving around side to side before the matches as if he was drilling. Last year, Fed was getting jammed alot on when running around the BH because his footwork was lazy. He seemed to be aware of this.

jackson vile
03-19-2012, 07:38 AM
He's just moving better.

He has made a lot of improvements, and perhaps is more to come. Swallowing some of his ego has done him well, but he will need to swallow a lot more than that.

monfed
03-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I think Federer has purposefully tried to hit his forehand flatter since about 2008. He knows he doesn't move as well as he used to, so he tries to end points earlier. To do this, he's lowered his racquet head speed a little bit which probably leads to the effect you are talking about; his forehand isn't as heavy as it used to be. Still a great shot, of course.

Hmmm makes sense,good post.

MAX PLY
03-19-2012, 07:41 AM

I didn't say he was faster just preparing better--I urge you to watch some film comparing this last 8 months of his play with his play in 2010/early 11, take some good notes, and get back to us.

President
03-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Overall this might be the best I've seen Federer play for an extended period of time since 2007. He's had flashes of brilliance here and there since then, but now he has been playing great since the US Open (and I even thought he played well in that tournament, just got unlucky against Djokovic). He was unfortunate to run into Nadal at the AO, but even then he was totally in that match and could have won had a few crucial points gone his way. I believe he would have beaten Djokovic had he been on his side of the draw. I do think he will get to #2 this season and possibly even #1 if he manages to keep this form up.

Bobby Jr
03-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Personally I think he won because he took some lead off his racquets.

Comparing the swing speed of one forehand from this match and the AO Federer was definitely swinging 2.2% faster. That was the difference. His physique looks no different so we can rule out an increase in strength - so it must be a lighter frame.

fed_rulz
03-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Personally I think he won because he took some lead off his racquets.

Comparing the swing speed of one forehand from this match and the AO Federer was definitely swinging 2.2% faster. That was the difference. His physique looks no different so we can rule out an increase in strength - so it must be a lighter frame.

how on earth did you get that stat?

LeeD
03-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Fed learned to hit a defensive forehand when he get's caught by a tougher than anticiapted ball, maybe by shortening his backswing on those.
More experience, more weapons, defensive and offensive.

Bobby Jr
03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
how on earth did you get that stat?
I based it on a complex assessment which averaged out the racquet head speed of one forehand at each event - which proves scientifically that all of his Forehands were swung harder. That's why he beat Nadal - he removed some lead from his racquets.

:lol:

*Seriously though - I was just using comparable logic to some of the ****ing nonsense that gets posted about why players win/lose.

Seany
03-19-2012, 06:11 PM
People try and pin point a certain aspect of his game when he goes on a good run like this.

There's one obvious thing that Fed does better than ANYBODY on tour, yet very few people mention it, may be because he hides it so well...and that my friends is pure hard work, and practice.

To think this guy has done pretty much everything there is to do in tennis, will mostly likely go down as the GOAT, has a family....and STILL he is as motivated as anybody out there, and puts in a ridiculous amount hours on the practice court, you wont find anybody more disciplined than Fed when it comes to looking after his body and working out...Yet this is often overlooked.

As a Fed fan, I love that he is still doing what he is doing....But at times his obsession with tennis almost seems unhealthy....Crazy motivation and drive.

TMF
03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
He has made a lot of improvements, and perhaps is more to come. Swallowing some of his ego has done him well, but he will need to swallow a lot more than that.

Yes we know. Fed is improving and Nadal is declining. That was the only reason why Nadal lost at IW.

agentaviles
03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I think it's a combination of his footwork getting back to what it was a few years ago, and also it seems like Fed is just more focused and concentrated during his matches. I honestly think that at times during the past couple of years he generally lost some focus. It can happen when you've won everything ;)