PDA

View Full Version : What according to you is Federer's greatest weapon?

spiderman123
03-19-2012, 06:12 AM
What, according to you, gives Federer the biggest advantage against his opponents?

EDIT: Another way to think about it: If you could transfer one of Federer's skill to your game, which one would you choose?

FlashFlare11
03-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Footwork. It's so difficult to get him out of position or wrong-foot him. It also makes it difficult to particularly target his backhand (his weaker side) because he's so good at getting around it. He's easily able to adjust to almost anything that comes his way, even in the wind. His defensive skills are underrated, in my opinion. For an offensive player like Federer, his defensive skills are superb.

spiderman123
03-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Footwork. It's so difficult to get him out of position or wrong-foot him. It also makes it difficult to particularly target his backhand (his weaker side) because he's so good at getting around it. He's easily able to adjust to almost anything that comes his way, even in the wind. His defensive skills are underrated, in my opinion. For an offensive player like Federer, his defensive skills are superb.

Totally agree. In fact I have always believed that and my belief was reinforced when I saw that youtube video of his best shots from Indian Wells. His movement was unreal. and so easy.

cknobman
03-19-2012, 06:21 AM
There has been a consistent pattern in Rogers career of his serve correlating to his win/loss.

If hes not serving well he is losing more matches, period.

sheq
03-19-2012, 06:22 AM
If we are talking about shots, I say forehand and service game. Also, i agree with flashflare that his footwork is sublime so efortless so smooth and elegant.

joeri888
03-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Quantatively, it's his serve. Most important strokes, wins him matches.

What is most notable and distinguished and beautiful is the forehand. He has the best forehand in decades, but the shot is just slightly less important than a good serve.

His footwork is underrated

GasquetGOAT
03-19-2012, 06:23 AM
His hair, when the opponents see his majesty's perfect hair across the net, they crumble.

jokes aside, I think its a combination of things such as talent, instinct and drive. Not just any single one aspect.

sheq
03-19-2012, 06:27 AM
BTW, there so many threads about Federer in these days :)

Love all
03-19-2012, 06:28 AM
His forehand. He can win when his serve is off but its not the case with his forehand.

Cup8489
03-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Where is the option for 'none of the above, it's the combination of everything that makes him so lethal'?

spiderman123
03-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Where is the option for 'none of the above, it's the combination of everything that makes him so lethal'?

I did not include that option deliberately as wanted to see which one skill is considered best of all the skills. Surely not everything is only above average...

Think of it this way, if you had one wish and could transfer one of Federer's skills to your game, what would you choose?

spiderman123
03-19-2012, 06:44 AM
BTW, there so many threads about Federer in these days :)

He just pulled off something that even his fans were not sure if he could at this stage. Defeated Nadal on outdoor hc and won IW. He did that by improving his game-plan, making adjustments to his game, improving his movement and winning two matches when he had to come from behind. He is doing that at 30+

As tennis fans, we are allowed to talk a little bit about him :)

monfed
03-19-2012, 06:50 AM

HAHAHAHAHA my thoughts exactly.

If I had to pick one? His GOAT FH baby! Greatest thing since sliced bread!

zam88
03-19-2012, 06:52 AM
well if i just had his serve and nothing else, i could probably win 99% of my matches vs. 4.5's and under

President
03-19-2012, 06:52 AM
I would say at this point, it has to be his serve. That is one shot that has definitely improved since his prime, it is really one of the top 5 serves on tour.

tacou
03-19-2012, 09:04 AM
his resume

Biscuitmcgriddleson
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Footwork/Movement/Anticipation

pvaudio
03-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Serve, easily. He can put that thing on a dime.

Tammo
03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Mirka... she is what drives him to do his best.

mattennis
03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
His forehand, and after that his footwork and his serve.

BeHappy
03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Obviously his forehand, if he didn't have that forehand he'd be Tommy Haas or Grigor Dmitrov. Believe it or not, quite a few players move and serve just as well as Federer, and have better backhands.

Lawn Tennis
03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
His forehand. But his footwork is what makes his forehand formidable, so I voted footwork. If you can get your feet in position, you can hit just about anything you want.

BeHappy
03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
His forehand. But his footwork is what makes his forehand formidable, so I voted footwork. If you can get your feet in position, you can hit just about anything you want.

Agassi didn't have any problems there, despite being possibly the slowest number 1 in history. (Still fast relative to most players)

Cheetah
03-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Footwork. I was at the fed/rafa IW match. to see him move from up close was just amazing. so efficient and smooth and fast. way more impressive seeing it live.

TMF
03-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Obviously his forehand, if he didn't have that forehand he'd be Tommy Haas or Grigor Dmitrov. Believe it or not, quite a few players move and serve just as well as Federer, and have better backhands.

We don't believe it, especially the movement.

Bacterio
03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd go with point construction.

Pound for pound, every shot in his arsenal can either be matched or bettered by another player, but the reason Fed seems the most impressive in my opinion is his ability to construct a point so that he maximizes the shots he does have.

His ability to construct a point so that he can capitalize on the strengths of his game is unmatched in my opinion. For example, the short backhand slice to bring a player in then pass him.

spiderman123
03-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd go with point construction.

Pound for pound, every shot in his arsenal can either be matched or bettered by another player, but the reason Fed seems the most impressive in my opinion is his ability to construct a point so that he maximizes the shots he does have.

His ability to construct a point so that he can capitalize on the strengths of his game is unmatched in my opinion. For example, the short backhand slice to bring a player in then pass him.

The responses to this thread have been varied and very interesting. I probably should have included point construction in there. Of all the players his next shot is the toughest to guess (from my view as an armchair expert). That is what makes watching his game always an interesting experience.

BobFL
03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
His ability to read your game, dismantle your gameplan and make you look like a fool out there :)

Nathaniel_Near
03-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Forehand... footwork, serve.

DeShaun
03-19-2012, 11:44 AM
At this point I believe his greatest weapon is some combination of his shot variety and his match management skills. He cannot hurt you so much anymore with dazzling shotmaking seemingly out of nowhere because he is no longer getting to the ball as early as he was during his athletic prime, but he still reads the game incredibly well and not just in in-point situations but also in the big picture when looking at/playing the score.
Just my 2cents

P.S. I first noticed him playing "smarter" if you will when he began finally handling Berdych consistently again about a year and a half ago. Up til then, the big Czech had hung a couple of humiliating losses on Roger, but Roger adapted his play, opting not to try outhitting Berdych from the back court in favor of constructing points against him much more intelligently. This trend has only been amplified since then, to where Roger seems to be relying more now than ever on the use of game plans that target opponents differently/more appropriately, instead of trying to remain some Baryshnikov-baseline-basher which he truly once was on fresher legs.