PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Wilson for the new ProStaff 95

CDestroyer
03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
It is such a wonderful racquet. Easily the best racquet I have ever used. It has a nice continuous subtle flex to it. Not like the strange rubber throated and stiff hooped K90.

Whoever came up with the specs on this racquet at Wilson should get a raise or something.

The low power of this racquet enables you to string the racquet low which as you know enhances everything except control. But the racquet has excellent control to, even strung at 50 pounds.

I use 18 gauge Ashaway Kevlar mains and 17 Gosen crosses. I also add 10 pounds to the last 2 main pulls before tying off. On the crosses I add 10 pounds to the last pull at the throat.

blipblop
03-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Ever hit with the older version? Pro Staff Tour 95 of the Hyper Carbon era. I'm curious how they compare.

CDestroyer
03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
I think they were heavier and stiffer. Someone please post the specs if they can.

Doesn't Del Potro play with the old Hyper Pro Staffs?

blipblop
03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm referring to this guy:

"The Original" Tour 95 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/WT95/WT95Review.html)

It wasn't nearly as popular as this new incarnation is turning out to be. But it was really my only main stick for many years. Must be the paint job and box beam!

CDestroyer
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Never hit that one. Did you like it?

There was alot of talk about people wanting a box beamed 95.

Im suprised that the TW playtesters didn't rate it much higher and thought they overrated the BLX PS 90.

I understand that Spencer really liked it.

sargeinaz
03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Interesting. I thought this racket sucked. It was a fly swatter. No power, no stability. Really shouldn't carry the prostaff name. And before people get on my case about the power and this being a players stick, my ps85 with gut has more than enough power. They should've remade the hyper prostaff tour 95. I've heard great things about that. Hopefully Wilson makes a heavier version of this and adds tour to the name or something.

blipblop
03-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Never hit that one. Did you like it?

I liked the Pro Staff Tour 95 at the time, but in retrospect, it felt a little tinny and not as solid as my frames are now. I kind of forced myself to like it because of its awesome paint job and the idea of using "lighter version of Fed's racket." Looking back, I feel like I fell into a Wilson marketing trap, and the real racket was the Tour 90. I'm curious to see if this latest version is another half-assed attempt at selling Fed's racket to people who know they aren't quite good enough for the 90, or if it is really a well-designed piece of kit on its own.

The Pro Staff Tour 95 will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the racquet I used for most of the important developmental stages in the learning curve. But I have started to put less emphasis on looks and more emphasis on feel, stability, and results.

corners
03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Just FYI, there are two vintage Tour 95s being talked about in this thread. This one: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/WT95/WT95Review.html
And this one: http://web.archive.org/web/20030618123941/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-TOUR95.html

CDestroyer
03-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Interesting. I thought this racket sucked. It was a fly swatter. No power, no stability. Really shouldn't carry the prostaff name. And before people get on my case about the power and this being a players stick, my ps85 with gut has more than enough power. They should've remade the hyper prostaff tour 95. I've heard great things about that. Hopefully Wilson makes a heavier version of this and adds tour to the name or something.

It boils down to whether or not the player needs the racquet to assist in generating power. I need zero power from the racquet and demand excellent control. Weakness in my game is stamina. I almost always win the first set then tire out in the middle part of the second set and am useless in the third.

The lower swingweight really helps with my stamina problem. The racquet is as stable as my PS85 SV and Head speed pro. If I wanted more stability which I dont I would add lead at 12 oclock, but its not neccesary.

You can always add weight and stability to a racquet but cant reduce it. Wilson made this racquet for a rec player.

blipblop
03-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Just FYI, there are two vintage Tour 95s being talked about in this thread. This one: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/WT95/WT95Review.html
And this one: http://web.archive.org/web/20030618123941/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-TOUR95.html

Yea I actually just became aware of the Hyper Pro Staff 6.0 Tour 95. I never tested it, but from what I gather, this was the better frame. I consider the 6.0 Tour 95 a descendant of the Original Pro Staff 6.0 95. Some claim it is what Dolgopolov has under his BLX paint job.

That said, I believe the subject of this thread is much more a relative of the non-6.0 Hyper Pro Staff Tour 95. Other than the beam geometry, all the other specs are much closer to the black-and-yellow version.

If sargeinaz is referring to the former Tour 95 (the red one), then I agree with him a remake of that frame would have been more interesting to me, despite my history with the other Tour 95.

TheOneHander
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
It boils down to whether or not the player needs the racquet to assist in generating power. I need zero power from the racquet and demand excellent control. Weakness in my game is stamina. I almost always win the first set then tire out in the middle part of the second set and am useless in the third.

The lower swingweight really helps with my stamina problem. The racquet is as stable as my PS85 SV and Head speed pro. If I wanted more stability which I dont I would add lead at 12 oclock, but its not neccesary.

You can always add weight and stability to a racquet but cant reduce it. Wilson made this racquet for a rec player.

Pretty much agree with this. Super stable, but super low powered. I liked the box beam's response on slices and the feel in general was nice and responsive, yet firm. I got absolutely no free power, though, and spin potential for such an open racquet left a lot to be desired (but then again, look at my sig ;)). It was a nice feel racquet, but kind of a fly swatter as mentioned above. I can see big hitters walloping away with glee with this frame in hand, but it's not my cup of tea.

sargeinaz
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. And I understand you can add weight to a frame, but it's very annoying to tinker with racket for me. Id rather string something up and play. It will be interesting to see how this racket sells and if wilson will tweak the specs next time to make it heavier or keep it the same.

CDestroyer
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. And I understand you can add weight to a frame, but it's very annoying to tinker with racket for me. Id rather string something up and play. It will be interesting to see how this racket sells and if wilson will tweak the specs next time to make it heavier or keep it the same.

Its selling very well. The 3/8 size is sold out at TW and at PGA Superstore and at some of the tennis shops in my area. I discovered this because I just bought mine.

You do have a point about the unlikelyhood of the masses wanting to modify the racquet.

I think its awesome with no mods.

Cheers.

jman32
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
i am sure you are enjoying the frame. i had a huge problem when demoing the frame. it was so light and fast i was constantly framing shots. i am used to a heavier wt and higher SW (12.5 oz, 340sw). i say this so others can get a different point of view, not to challenge you opinion

CDestroyer
03-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I did add 3 grams at 12 oclock with no counterbalancing and I like it to. More spin, racquet is not so whippy, sweetspot is taller.

Its now 7 points HL stock was 10 points HL.

Will play with this setup for a while.:smile:

TaihtDuhShaat
03-22-2012, 09:17 AM
i am sure you are enjoying the frame. i had a huge problem when demoing the frame. it was so light and fast i was constantly framing shots. i am used to a heavier wt and higher SW (12.5 oz, 340sw). i say this so others can get a different point of view, not to challenge you opinion

I have my brother's setup like that with lead at 12 and top of the grip. 353g, 32cm, 340SW.

This turns this frame into a ball gripping power spin monster. This frame brings out his strengths more than any other. Even sweet spot due to the thin beam and lead at 12. Great feel. The reason this frame isn't well received is because it's almost pro stock specs, thus has no power in stock form.

gplracer
03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
I really WANT to like this racket. Unfortunately it just does not feel like my BLX90. That racket reminds me of the prostaff 85 that I grew up with. I am still experimenting with lead tape. In the mean time I just got another BLX90. It is in the mail.

CDestroyer
03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
I have my brother's setup like that with lead at 12 and top of the grip. 353g, 32cm, 340SW.

This turns this frame into a ball gripping power spin monster. This frame brings out his strengths more than any other. Even sweet spot due to the thin beam and lead at 12. Great feel. The reason this frame isn't well received is because it's almost pro stock specs, thus has no power in stock form.

As I said it is selling very well. Despite what is said on this forum good or bad.