PDA

View Full Version : PSLGT - Chipped paint already?

StanW
03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I was so eager after seeing the TW package on my front porch this afternoon. I had ordered two Babolat Pure Storm Ltd. GT strung with Kirschbaum PLII 18g at 50lbs for more power. After a quick inspection of it, I noticed a medium-small chip on the racquet. Nothing too big to worry about, hopefully TW will take care of that. :P I did find it strange that one racquet was a one-piece while the other a two-piece.

http://i39.tinypic.com/24c8e87.jpg

Honestly, they played like a dream. It adjusted to my baseline-type play style amazingly. The plow through of the racquet is phenomenal at hitting the ball deep into the court. The head-lightness of it didn't strain my wrists at all compared to the past head-heavy/balanced racquets I've used. I had a lot of fun serving big topspin serves with this racquet. After a few hours of pounding it at the court, I was glad that I bought the PSLGT, despite all the negative feedback about its power.

Muppet
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
It looks to me like the mount on the stringing machine caused that chip. I'm glad you like your new sticks though! I don't think it's a really big problem. But I would contact TW to see if there's something they can do to make it up to you. They probably shouldn't have gone out the door like that.

Bartelby
03-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Just don't expect any of them to remain unchipped for long.

StanW
03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Just don't expect any of them to remain unchipped for long.

Haha I know. :) I've chipped my older babolats in quite a few places.

I was just shocked at seeing a chip out of the box.

I really wish they would up the quality in their PJs.

DUO
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Haha I know. :) I've chipped my older babolats in quite a few places.

I was just shocked at seeing a chip out of the box.

I really wish they would up the quality in their PJs.

Why don't you just use a black sharpie to fill it in lol

zapvor
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
or stop using babolat....

KenC
03-19-2012, 10:40 PM
The paint chips easily and there is nothing to do about it except fill them in with Sharpies.

People complain about the low power of the PSLGT but it is still more powerful than the PS85 and a lot of other older racquets. I grew up with wooden racquets and learned to step into my shots and find that modern racquets develop way to much power. The PSLGT is really just a "tamed" modern racquet. It is for those who develop power with technique and just need a racquet that helps control that power with precision.

scotus
03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I once ordered a Prestige directly from Head, unstrung.

And it arrived with a big scratch.

Automatix
03-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Yeah this stuff happens unfortunately - I mean new racquets with paintchips.

It really frustrated me and it happened with all brands:
Babolat, Dunlop, Kneissl, Yonex...

Sometimes it happens without any particular reason, other times because of lousy packaging. A certain store in the UK send me racquets without covers wrapped only in a plastic black bag. I was shocked.

My OCD really was troublesome. I've played with headguard tape around the entire head etc. just to not scratch the racquets or make paintchips. But even then this stuff happened.

Racquets are for playing and playing means you'll essentially scratch off the paintjob. Doesn't matter how sturdy it is.

When I got my 300 Tours I started to use them without paying attention to paintjob damage and when they get chipped enough I'll just repaint them. Always wanted to do that, never had the chance.

P.S.: Of course now the racquets chip easier - worse paintjob quality. This kind of stuff wasn't such a big problem ca. 15 years ago but it did depend on the series and model - i.Prestige with matte-rubber pj anyone? I remember my PS Classics. Matte paintjob and not one paint chip whatsoever.

lbjames23
03-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Why don't you just use a black sharpie to fill it in lol

good call, done that many times on my apdc

StanW
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
The paint chips easily and there is nothing to do about it except fill them in with Sharpies.

People complain about the low power of the PSLGT but it is still more powerful than the PS85 and a lot of other older racquets. I grew up with wooden racquets and learned to step into my shots and find that modern racquets develop way to much power. The PSLGT is really just a "tamed" modern racquet. It is for those who develop power with technique and just need a racquet that helps control that power with precision.

I actually find that the PSLGT is actually great with power in terms of serving, but that's only coming from 2 hitting sessions. Forehands are low and deep. :)

On a side note: TW was kind enough to refund part of the racquet for the chip.

aceroberts13
03-20-2012, 03:28 PM
I just bought http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Storm_Ltd/descpageRCBAB-BPSLTD.htmlthis version of the Babolat Pure Storm Ltd. and I love it so far. I've only hit with it briefly, but the feel from it is unique and right up my alley.

I've bounced around between many many sticks and this one has the possibility of being the model I buy as many as possible of to hoard them and use them as long as possible.