PDA

View Full Version : Inside Active Cortex

Bartelby
03-19-2012, 09:46 PM
There's some information on the technology that suggests that what's really going on is that handle is not divided into two chambers, but one chamber alone and this is what enables the different feel.

Anyone care to flick off their butt cap and verify that there's only one chamber?

From the drawings, the old system channelled the feel down the chamber divider, whereas the new system sends it down the outsides of the chamber.

Unibody or monocoque construction, or scocca or monoscocca in Italian.

Bartelby
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
This is why the bump in the cortex is also now concave and not convex. The shape directs the vibration by directing it via the lowest point/s of the shape.

richsox
03-20-2012, 01:49 AM
I understand from anotehr thread on this forum, that this years PD's have some silicon in the handle chamber........which if it does, then I understand that would result in a more muted feel

El Diablo
03-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Yes, and they went with the black paint because they figured that if black absorbs more light, perhaps it will absorb more vibration as well. (Hey, they're French engineers!)

dgoran
03-20-2012, 06:25 AM
I found nothing inside 2012 pdr plus. Handle looks like a last year's and every year before that.

Power Player
03-20-2012, 06:32 AM
I posted a pic of my Pd handle in the racquetholics thread..its a few pages back if you look. It doesn't have the split down the middle like my APDgts did.

It also has silicone, but on the sidewalls..not filled or anything like that.

Bartelby
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the image.

People are right to be sceptical, but the amplifeel is there and so is the single chamber with silicone walls, so it may have a marginal effect and people report on the feel positively.

The trouble is people have been told to expect a change in feel for the better so if they report it ... you know the rest.

Power Player
03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Well I can tell you when I demoed the Pure Drive, I was loving the Pro Open (similar stick) and really wanted to try the PD because of the XL option, which I prefer and was missing.

I was not expecting anything different and expected to deal with the standard length and stay with the Wilson.

I was pretty stunned when for me, the feel was far better and I honestly did not want to put the racquet down. So that is my experience..it is a much more solid feeling stick to me. It also does not vibrate on mishits, which truly helps as well. Prior versions were not nearly as comfortable, and the hollow babolat feeling that was somewhat taken care of in the APDgt (save for awful vibrations on mishits) is now completely gone in my experience.

Bartelby
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I must confess that I only want to buy one new racquet a year, and I liked the apd previously so I may delay any decision till I can compare it with what they'll do with the new apd.

But it all sounds very promising.

Bud
03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
There's some information on the technology that suggests that what's really going on is that handle is not divided into two chambers, but one chamber alone and this is what enables the different feel.

Anyone care to flick off their butt cap and verify that there's only one chamber?

From the drawings, the old system channelled the feel down the chamber divider, whereas the new system sends it down the outsides of the chamber.

Unibody or monocoque construction, or scocca or monoscocca in Italian.

Yes, one chamber now

I understand from anotehr thread on this forum, that this years PD's have some silicon in the handle chamber........which if it does, then I understand that would result in a more muted feel

No silicone inside the handle

I posted a pic of my Pd handle in the racquetholics thread..its a few pages back if you look. It doesn't have the split down the middle like my APDgts did.

It also has silicone, but on the sidewalls..not filled or anything like that.

I'll have to look with a flashlight. I was looking for the typical silicone job filling the end of the pallet.

Thanks for the image.

People are right to be sceptical, but the amplifeel is there and so is the single chamber with silicone walls, so it may have a marginal effect and people report on the feel positively.

The trouble is people have been told to expect a change in feel for the better so if they report it ... you know the rest.

The new PDR is much more comfortable than the previous version. My 2009 PDR went into the classifieds within a week or two of buying it. I could not take the unbelievable stiffness of that frame. I used my regular 2009 PD for a couple of years with no issues and just sold it to another TW members recently.

I've retired my APD's in favor of this new PDR. I look forward to the 2013 APD with the new active cortex system and new paint scheme.

Power Player
03-20-2012, 10:28 AM
I must confess that I only want to buy one new racquet a year, and I liked the apd previously so I may delay any decision till I can compare it with what they'll do with the new apd.

But it all sounds very promising.

If you can grab one to demo, see what you think. I will be interested in seeing what they do with the new apd as well.

The real interesting thing is I believe Babolat is going to implement some kind of way to measure your swing speed and where you make ball contact the most into their racquets.

Bud
03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
If you can grab one to demo, see what you think. I will be interested in seeing what they do with the new apd as well.

The real interesting thing is I believe Babolat is going to implement some kind of way to measure your swing speed and where you make ball contact the most into their racquets.

Interesting concept but do you think most club players have a need for that kind of stroke analysis?

arche3
03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Interesting concept but do you think most club players have a need for that kind of stroke analysis?

Hells yeah..... we change strings every other hit. Keep changing the balance. Weight. Yeah. We need it. :)

Power Player
03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes I think it would be real interesting because it could help you figure out the ideal tension for your game. If you are over swinging it could help you see what adding lead does..If there are optimal swing speeds for topspin hitters..flat hitters..etc you could learn some cool stuff.

scotus
03-20-2012, 09:29 PM
It would be a mistake to assume that if one racquet has silicone inside the handle, then all the rackets of the same model must also have silicone.

I have seen genuine racquets with silicone, lead, foam, sponge, etc., placed inside the handle by the factory while other racquets of the same model, just as genuine, that have less or none of those fillers.

If one racquet came out too light, the factory might decide to put silicone in there, whereas another racquet came out heavy enough and may not need it.

Of course, some lines of racquets may all have varying degrees of silicone inside if the manufacturer was going for that particular dampened feel.

But we will have to have a much larger pool of samples to see if a particular line of racquets uses silicone across the board.

03-21-2012, 06:51 AM
FWIW, I checked two of my Pure Drives yesterday and neither of them has silicone in the handle (2012 BD+, same as PP).

Bartelby
03-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Do they only have one chamber? Or two divided by a wall?

In the literature it never really mentioned silicone along the walls, but its interesting that it has been found.

El Diablo
03-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Because of the expiration of PK's "ionic" patent, I've been told that Babolat was able to divide the handle chamber in half and utilize ions, filling one side with anions and the other with cations, with the attraction between them resulting in a force on the dividing wall that stabilizes it and reduces vibration. This is the "active" aspect of "active cortex."

Bartelby
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Babolat obviously decided to 'tear down that wall'.

03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Do they only have one chamber? Or two divided by a wall?

One chamber. Checked the other frames as well, none have silicone.

ollinger
03-21-2012, 12:10 PM
So nobody has seen anything inside this racquet that could be described as "active." Quelle surprise!! Babolat's people are laughing so hard in Lyon that the souffles are all falling. Turn the stupid plastic insert upside down and tell the customer it's now "active cortex" and start counting the Euros. I suspect the plan is to then introduce next year the racquet they say will count your mishits, and label it a complete "active system" with "active cortex" and "active error correction" systems. Maybe "active elbow ultrasound" is next?

Bartelby
03-21-2012, 07:46 PM
The other possibility is that they decided to empty out the chamber so you can attach the presumably expensive electronic device to track your movements on court that is coming.

The marketing name is ridiculous, but people seem to think it works to improve the feel so whether its a placebo or not who knows? In any case, the racquet even looks better, and that goes for the cortex.