PDA

View Full Version : Huge difference! Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012 vs. Pure Drive Roddick GT

Ballistec_J
03-20-2012, 06:50 AM
I used the PDRGT+ (2009 edition) for about a year and a half. Then played with the Aero Pro Drive GT for a collective year scattered for a few months here and there. Finally, it's about time I came full circle. I recently demoed the Pure Drive Roddick Active Cortex + from tennis warehouse. I re-strung it with my own string setup of Dunlop Black Widow 17 in the mains at 63lbs and Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament 16(Premier Attack) in the crosses at 63lbs.

Results were huge. Everything I loved about the previous pure drive roddick minus the lack of feel. Just booked myself for 4 of them.

bluetrain4
03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
I purchased the standard PDR 2012 and had used the standard PDR GT last summer. I agree this is a huge improvement in terms of not being harsh. But, I'm not sure I agree that there is no longer a lack of feel. It is much improved in that department, and maybe for the class of very stiff racquets that it belongs to it has good "feel", but compared to a lot of other frames, "feel" is still lacking somewhat.

But, it's not an issue for me. Has good enough feel to go along with everything that I like about it.

El Diablo
03-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Half the people who use the PDR describe more comfort and half say their elbow is now throbbing. I think there's mass hypnosis at work here. The notion that there's more feel but also more comfort (i.e. isolation of feel) is probably a contradiction. I tried the new frame and found it every bit as painful as the old one. People on this board boast of not being drawn in by gimmicky marketing, but Babolat turns the stupid plastic insert upside-down and people believe the Rapture is upon us.

TW Staff
03-20-2012, 07:33 AM
I used the PDRGT+ (2009 edition) for about a year and a half. Then played with the Aero Pro Drive GT for a collective year scattered for a few months here and there. Finally, it's about time I came full circle. I recently demoed the Pure Drive Roddick Active Cortex + from tennis warehouse. I re-strung it with my own string setup of Dunlop Black Widow 17 in the mains at 63lbs and Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament 16(Premier Attack) in the crosses at 63lbs.

Results were huge. Everything I loved about the previous pure drive roddick minus the lack of feel. Just booked myself for 4 of them.

In the future, please refrain from re-stringing Tennis Warehouse demos. We do not allow it for several reasons.

Regards,

Spencer, TW.

Power Player
03-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Half the people who use the PDR describe more comfort and half say their elbow is now throbbing. I think there's mass hypnosis at work here. The notion that there's more feel but also more comfort (i.e. isolation of feel) is probably a contradiction. I tried the new frame and found it every bit as painful as the old one. People on this board boast of not being drawn in by gimmicky marketing, but Babolat turns the stupid plastic insert upside-down and people believe the Rapture is upon us.

Or you are just wrong and a lot of us like it better. Trust me, I'm not playing a stick that hurts my arm just to say I use it.

It is a stiff racquet and is not ideal with full poly. I prefer RIP control in it. I never get any bad vibrations. Main reason I left the APDgt was vibrations on mishits were brutal. I have none with this stick.

I think a lot of people with elbow issues in the PD are using full poly.

Or my arm will blow up in 6 weeks..who knows..I am loving the racquet so far. It is an absolute beast.

SFrazeur
03-20-2012, 07:46 AM

There are some interesting contradictions when it comes to racquets in general.

I haven't played with the 2012s yet myself but did with the Cortex prior to the GT. The GT is just as muted, lacking in ball feel, as the Cortex. But the GT feels less hollow and more solid. While these is not more ball feel there is a better feel out of the frame itself.

-SF

QuadCam
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
maybe I haven't found the right setup for the '12 PDR+, but, to me, the new roddick seems to be significantly less powerful than the previous version, but it does have more feel to it.

Yourtenniscoach
03-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Wonder how many of these people who love it will still love it later in the summer (especially once Andy drops out of the top 100).

SFrazeur
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Wonder how many of these people who love it will still love it later in the summer (especially once Andy drops out of the top 100).

The amount of people idolizing Andy Roddick is probably rather low and has been for a while.

-SF

Bud
03-20-2012, 01:40 PM

How many of those people used the previous version? There is no doubt the new frame is much less harsh on the arm.

There's more to it than inverting the Cortex. The handle is completely different on the new model. There is no divider now inside the handle and some are reporting silicone along the handle in*****.

I can't stand Roddick and I wish his name wasn't on the frame ;)

dkent
03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
All I need to know is that I like the frame and it works for my game. I say give it a try, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

zapvor
03-20-2012, 11:31 PM

oh god man come on.......

Hi I'm Ray
03-21-2012, 04:17 AM

there are always ppl trying to say everyone who bought x product did so because they were fooled by advertising/marketing. Well I tried almost every comparable frame to the APDGT before I bought it, and I tried the Cortex & GT PD's which were harsh but the PDR 2012 was definately more comfortable and solid.