PDA

View Full Version : Buying a players racket without testing it

audioboy
03-20-2012, 07:02 AM
The problem Im facing, is that in my hometown is quite difficult to get testracquets.

Ive been wondering that is it possible to buy a players racket without testing it.
Nowdays there are so many good racquets available and I think that I could adapt to almost any good racket. Im about 4.5-5.0 player.

Opinions please.

scotus
03-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Use TW's demo program. The racquets are shipped to your door.

TennisCJC
03-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Scotus is correct. Use TW demo program and they will ship 4 rackets to you for $20. You play them a week and then drop them off in the shipping box at the closest UPS store to return them to TW.

Never buy a racket without demo-ing. Many times I have read about a racket and then did not like it as much as expected once I tried it. Also, if you get 4 models, you can do comparative analysis to see how they stack up against each other.

audioboy
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Sounds very good, but I dont think this demo is possible to Finland :(

Swissv2
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Want to test racquets? Check out your friend's racquets and switch with them during a practice session.

Bartelby
03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Although demo is a very good idea, there's one or more crazy people around here who buys racquets, string them and play for a month or two to see if they really like them.

This is the best but most expensive way.

I'm of the somewhat deluded frame of mind that if you know what kind of spec you want and the kind of feel you'd like from a racquet, then its possible to get a racquet off the shelf.

henryshli
03-20-2012, 10:18 AM
In the UK, demoing rackets is not very easy so I've almost always purchased blind. It is true that you can probably adjust to any racket over time and that some rackets may simply take you longer, like the PB10 for me!!

What I've found though is that even after adjusting to a racket and be successful with it ( for me the APDGT) the racket just doesn't "feel" right. I found the APDgt boring after one season.

So demoing, if you can, is the only way the filter out rackets that you may find unsuitable in the long run.

Bartelby
03-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Most pro shops of any size have demos of the main racquets that they sell, but if you don't live in a city over a million or so people you may have a problem.

jman32
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
if you cant demo, buy a used one. if you like it can be your #2 or #3. if you dont, you have not lost all that much

subz
03-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Sounds very good, but I dont think this demo is possible to Finland :(

Where do you live ? In Helsinki, you can get the demo racquets from the Intersport store in Forum or from most clubs.

EDIT: It seems you are not living near Helsinki :/

sportsfan1
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
If you are not demoing, you probably have to keep it close to what worked for you before. I will buy racquets after researching as well as asking around, cos I am just too lazy to demo.

LeeD
03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
You already know you want a "player's" racket.
You know it's approximate specs.
Every "player's racket" from every company averages around 12 oz, headlight 7 points, flex 61, SW 335, so you can play with it sight unseen.
The variances your skill and body can compensate.
Get the color you like.

Xpherex
03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
I was in situation like you I played with Head Dominion before which is almost 400g and something like 0 balance, the feel from this racket is great the sweet spot was very small compared to any new racket. However because it was too old and I wanted to get at least 2 same racquets, I wanted to get something new.
In the end I bought Yonex RQiS Tour 1, and as you I couldn't test it anywhere, the racket is good for me but lacks some things as weight (which I will add very soon) and curved shots, I get a lot of spin but I cannot get curved shot with a kick especially from my forehand (which I get huge kick with almost any racquet) and the feel is very different, If I could demo I don't think that I will buy even thought I play better with it as it is more stable than with my old Dominion, but the feel from the racket I think is much more important for me.
However from reading the forums regularly I think that today I would buy 10 series (C or X) from Volkl, but as I'm not 100% sure it will fit me so I'm not doing it. I'm kinda happy anyway with my current choice.