PDA

View Full Version : Power Gradient - Important Hidden Control Spec?!

travlerajm
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I recently discovered the Wilson BLX Pro Tour. I was initially attracted to the ultra-dense string pattern and general structural specs as a customization platform.

But what really surprised me about the BLX Pro Tour is that the level of control in stock form far exceeded that of any other racquet I have tested. I did need to add 3g around the top of the handle to tune the forehand, but it was still essentially a stock experience, with unparalleled directional accuracy, depth control, and spin control (I was using an extremely spin-friendly string setup of 18g kev/17g SPPP at 43/42 lbs.).

I expected the directional accuracy, but what surprised me was the depth control.

I then messed around with the TWU power maps and discovered a hidden spec that is unique to the BLX Pro Tour: Along the centerline, the BLX Tour has the least steep power potential gradient between 20% and 40% curves.

For the BLX Pro Tour, the distance between these curves is 4.45". Most other racquets have a much steeper slope, around 3.5" between the 20% and 40% lines. In fact, I have yet to find a frame on the site that has a shallower slope than the BLX Pro Tour.

By having a less-steep slope to the power potential gradient, depth control is less sensitive to the longitunal location of the ball impact on the stringbed. Thus depth control is enhanced.

One reason I think the BLX Tour has such a shallow power potential slope is the that the stringbed, while ultra-dense in the center, is just as open near the top of the frame as most open-pattern frames. Overlaying it atop an Aeropro Drive, the top 6 cross strings match up exactly. But cross strings 7-12 are much denser.

Bud
03-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Some screen shots and perhaps hand annotation would be helpful :)

jonestim
03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Take a look at the Prince Exo3 Tour models in that graph as well. Very similar shapes to the power zones with the BLX Pro Tour, just a bit bigger.

travlerajm
03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Take a look at the Prince Exo3 Tour models in that graph as well. Very similar shapes to the power zones with the BLX Pro Tour, just a bit bigger.

You're right - very similar. The Exo3 Tour gradient measures in a 4.1". That might be the #2-ranked frame on TW for this, with the BLX Pro Tour at #1?
Edit: It looks like the Exo3 Tour Lite might top these, at 4.5".

Can anyone notice nice depth control with Exo3 Tour models? And do they have the same feature of big cross string spacing gradient between center and top?