PDA

View Full Version : Andy Roddick: What the hell how does he do it?

Serving155
07-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Ok andy is like 6"0 or so tall. He's fairly skinny and fit. But he doesn't look like he's got that much power. Even on the TW photos from the Pacific Life, the out of shape TW employee looks stronger than Andy. How da heck does Andy hit 155 serve? I dont understand. Im guessing the power has a lot to do with flexibility and technique rather than muscle and strength.

raftermania
07-25-2005, 10:00 AM
You just answered your own question. Andy has great flexibility which lets him get a deep knee bend, back arch, and backscratch. The resulting serve is a combination of his entire kinetic chain.

tennissavy
07-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Physical strength in tennis is not nearly as important as technique and timing to achieve power on serve or groundstrokes. Example: Anastasia Myskina is extremely slight of frame, which I saw for myself many times in person, and she hits the ball a lot harder than my male coach who is damned good! In addition, some people look frail due to bodytype but are actually quite physically strong!

rhubarb
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
He's at least a couple of inches taller than that, and what d'you mean "skinny"? Have you been watching tapes from 3 years ago or something?

DanN
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Andy's not 6-0, he's more like 6-2 (at least a couple of inches taller than I am, and I'm 6-0 with shoes on).

Dan

TEAMRAFA
07-25-2005, 10:12 AM
im 17, 5'8", 135 lbs and i can hit about 115. its DEFINETELY not strength.

Fee
07-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Andy is 6'3" and he's pretty bulky. He's not as toned looking in the chest as some of the others on tour, but he's got strong shoulders and a huge right forearm.

Chadwixx
07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Ok andy is like 6"0 or so tall. He's fairly skinny and fit. But he doesn't look like he's got that much power. Even on the TW photos from the Pacific Life, the out of shape TW employee looks stronger than Andy. How da heck does Andy hit 155 serve? I dont understand. Im guessing the power has a lot to do with flexibility and technique rather than muscle and strength.

roddicks 155mph was on the juiced gun. on a normal radar gun its around 135-140, much like he was hitting against ginipri.

there are two guns, one for queens and davis cup, and the real one which is used in every other tournament.

rommil
07-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Ok andy is like 6"0 or so tall. He's fairly skinny and fit. But he doesn't look like he's got that much power. Even on the TW photos from the Pacific Life, the out of shape TW employee looks stronger than Andy. How da heck does Andy hit 155 serve? I dont understand. Im guessing the power has a lot to do with flexibility and technique rather than muscle and strength. He is not fairly skinny at all in person. As a matter of fact I thought he could lose some weight. I saw him up close practicing last year at the US Open.

TEAMRAFA
07-25-2005, 12:27 PM
yea he is a little bulky now. he use to be really skinny though when he first started out on tour. no wonder he is tested so much.

monologuist
07-25-2005, 12:44 PM
if you ever see him in person, you'd realize that he is not a small or skinny guy....dude is pretty ripped, and is probably a good 6'2" or so. He's got thick legs, arms and trunk. He's actually one of the more built looking guys on tour, especially if you compare him to the other guys in the top 10 (besides Safin). On top of that, as mentioned, he has termendous flexibilty for that amount of muscle mass....anyway, he gets most of his power from his powerful leg, twisting torso, and amazing back/arm/wrist flexibility.

krnboijunsung
07-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Thomas Johansson is smaller than Roddick yet he can produce similar speeds like him. It's all about body and the loose arm.

Champion
07-25-2005, 01:10 PM
He has exilent serving teqnique, and you dont have to have huge musscles to be strong take me for example i can bench 250 lbs but my arms are only 13 inches around.

diredesire
07-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Didn't he used to be a pitcher? Pitchers have pretty amazing arms...

one time i was in this dodgeball tourney....

tennis-n-sc
07-26-2005, 02:31 AM
Myskina slight of frame? Did you see her on the horse? Nothing slight there. I don't know about her serve. Ha.

Galactus
07-26-2005, 03:58 AM
I read a great article of Andy Roddick's serve technique on a website (tennisplayer.net, which you have to pay a subscription for).
It goes into great detail with full description and slow-mo QuickTime clips of all aspects of Roddick's serve from the positioning of his feet to his racquet-head speed.
Apparantly, a lot of today's coach's are moving away from using Pete Sampras' serve as a blueprint and concentraining on Roddick's now.

AngeloDS
07-26-2005, 07:35 AM
His slow-motion serve speed is as fast as my regular service speed! That's embarassing! His head speed is ridiculously so fast on his serves. They did it slow motion but it did not look slow motion. The ball did but the racquet... Mannn...