PDA

View Full Version : Last crosses twist when stringing textured poly

neil1b
03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I am have an issue with heavy textured polys. When I string the last two crosses, it seems they are twisted more than the others. You can see the pattern on the string is a tighter spiral than othe others. I am not doing anything different on the last two. You can visually see a difference with the last two. Any suggestions?

This does not happen with normal poly such as rpm blast, bhb, but does so with bhb rough and others.

Thanks

Wikky
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Almost all strings naturally do this towards the end of the racquet because of the force of friction they are being put through. If i get a chance tomorrow I'll post a video on how best to counter this.

The easiest way is at the end of the racquet stop pulling one ahead and cut just enough string so you can finish the last 2 crosses. Then when weaving pull all the string through when going over each string so there is no friction during weaving and the string does not continue to twist.

Make sure also to pull each of these weaves twice since they are hard weaves and there will be more friction in the string bed.

drakulie
03-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Then when weaving pull all the string through when going over each string so there is no friction during weaving and the string does not continue to twist.

Seconded. This will eliminate the twisting you are experiencing.

neil1b
03-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys,

This small thing has been bugging me for a while now

I'll try it that way.

SoBad
03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Because it gets tight let the loose remaining cross relax between each weave at the end.

fortun8son
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I've had this problem with ZoTwist especially. I'll have to try that next time.

Irvin
03-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Stop pulling one ahead that will get rid of most of it. The reason it is twisting is because the string loop has the twist in it if you don't weave one ahead it will not be twisted. Another way to help is to use the bead method.

neil1b
03-21-2012, 06:01 AM
I held off asking it for a while, as I thought it was a dumb question. Glad to know others had the same happen to them. Thanks to all the veterans for your advice and how to fix it. The help is greatly appreciated.

Irvin
03-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Not only will your last cross twist but your first one will too. Notice the twist on the top cross in this picture from another thread:
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2301/023fnk.jpg
Not only does the rough texture twist the string the string memory (coiling) will also cause this problem.

For this reason I run in the third to top crosses first with no pre-weaving then tension from the top string down. When I get down to the last few crosses again I quit weaving one ahead.

RetroSpin
03-21-2012, 09:13 AM

For this reason I run in the third to top crosses first with no pre-weaving then tension from the top string down. When I get down to the last few crosses again I quit weaving one ahead.

Irving, Sorry but I am a novice at this and I really don't fully understand what you are saying here, ie "no preweaving" and "quit weaving one ahead."

Many thanks for your contributions here and with the vids.

The Wreck
03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Irving, Sorry but I am a novice at this and I really don't fully understand what you are saying here, ie "no preweaving" and "quit weaving one ahead."

Many thanks for your contributions here and with the vids.

When you're weaving crosses, typically you weave a cross, then directly move on to the next cross, while leaving a loop between the two crosses, which you then use to pull tension. This makes the weaving easier since you're weaving under the high mains and over the low mains. This method is called weaving one ahead or pre-weaving. You probably do this already if you learned from videos on here.

What they're suggesting is to stop using this method on the latter strings. Instead of leaving the loop to pull tension with, just weave, tension, then move on to the next cross. It's harder to weave, but will prevent the twisting.

RetroSpin
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks Wreck. I don't actually string (yet), but I'm interested and trying to learn.

neil1b
03-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Irvin,

I did what you said and the last three crosses I did not pre weave. I also did not weave the whole cross before pulling. It seems to happen only on the 18 x 20 ones I do. It happened today on a microgel radical mp with volkl cyclone 17g.

Any help please, as this is getting annoying.

Thanks in advance

Neil

jim e
03-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Irvin,

I did what you said and the last three crosses I did not pre weave. I also did not weave the whole cross before pulling. It seems to happen only on the 18 x 20 ones I do. It happened today on a microgel radical mp with volkl cyclone 17g.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Neil:
On the last 2 cross strings, try weaving and pulling one weave at a time, like sewing. Meaning do not weave all the way across and then pull, just weave one weave and pull slack, and do this on each single weave, and it will prevent twisting, and since it is at the end, it is not like your pulling a massive amount of string, as you are at the end. I typically have to do this with nat. gut stringing at the last 2 cross strings so the gut does not untwist.

000KFACTOR90000
04-01-2012, 12:44 PM
also I've found alternating weaving left and right on the last cross helps.

beernutz
04-01-2012, 02:25 PM
It is a good thing I never look closely at my strings after finishing a string job or these types of things would bother me too.

Irvin
04-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Irvin,

Thanks in advance

Neil

I noticed the other day while string that you sometimes pull a string over a main that is very close to the grommet. When doing this it tends to twist the string. Try pull the string all the way through before you start weaving and when you get to the other side pull the string all the way through the mains before you put it in the grommet.

brownbearfalling
04-08-2012, 01:28 AM
I agree with all the other contributors that taking "pre cautionary measures" is the best way to avoid/ cure this problem.

Although, as a last resort if you are stuck with this twisting problem, you might try to pull the string back and forth between the grommets. Of course, do this gently and carefully; with your hands, not with tools or the tensioner to avoid damaging the string. Essentially, you are "smoothing" out the string. The last time I ran into this problem, which was a while back, this was what I did. This method does not "fix" the problem nor is it particularly good for the problem but it makes it a little more "aesthetically/ cosmetically" pleasing.