PDA

View Full Version : how long does a pair of shoes last?

tennis-player
03-20-2012, 09:15 PM
If you are a runner, it is recommended to get a new pair of running shoes each 300-400miles. What about tennis sneakers? If they don't have holes in bottoms, do you use them till you get holes? :) I am asking because last week I put on my barricades first time since ankle injury (happened in January). Well, it got my ankle again, nothing serious, but it hurt... It made me think about the shoes (barricades) - I play 3-4times a week and I wore those particular sneakers exclusively August through January (just under 6months). Could it be the issue? No support? How long should they last? They look like new... :?

SoBad
03-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Tennis shoes like barricades last two weeks to two months, it seems, depending on how much you play. You should use your judgement though - if you don't like your shoes, get a different pair.

KineticChain
03-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Barricades and tennis shoes in general offer very little to zero support to your ankle. In fact, since the heel of many tennis shoes are high (for cushioning), you are more likely to twist or sprain your ankle than if you were to wear a low heeled shoe or be barefoot.

After an ankle injury, your muscles that stabilize your ankle become weak from the rest period. The weak muscles make you more susceptible to re-injury. If you really want support for your ankle, I suggest getting an ankle brace.

Ive only ever sprained my ankle badly once playing tennis, and I run every ball down. That one sprain was only because of lazy footwork. So that's something to consider as well, improving the footwork.

Bartelby
03-20-2012, 11:25 PM
loss of lateral support due to weakening of uppers might be a problem for you

USERNAME
03-21-2012, 03:29 AM
Id say invest in a good brace, but if you dont burn through shoes I would buy new ones at least every 4-6 months.

Maui19
03-21-2012, 05:19 AM
I play on clay and have found two key indications that my shoes are shot. 1) I slip more on court. Surprisingly, this occurs even though the tread on my shoes looks great. 2) The shoes start to feel wider, particularly in the toe box.

When 1 & 2 happen, it's time for new shoes. And the first time I wear the new shoes, it's clear that the old shoes had been shot for a while.

I'm guessing my shoes last about 9 months or so.

tennis-player
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
It all makes sense now - need new shoes :) Lots of good advice, thank you. I did notice my footwork is a bit sluggish after injury, plus ankle brace slows me down a tad. And I am sure it adds to clumsiness.

NJ1
03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I'll be the dissenting voice. If they look like new, I'd personally keep wearing them until they wear out. My shoes last me about 5 months until I wear holes in them, by which point most of the grip has been smoothed out relegating them to practice only for the that fifth month. If your Barricades are 5s or 6s, I just can't believe them to be shot after 6 months of light wear. With 50%+ grip and no holes, I'd be happy keeping shoes for a couple of years at least.

Of course, you know your body so if you're sure they are not meshing well with your ankles then try a different style.

Mighty Matteo
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
In my experience, once your feet start hurting, it's time to get a new pair of tennis shoes. That is usually the sign for me to get a new pair. Those barricades have lasted a pretty long time for you, but you should now get a new pair.

cknobman
03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I have never had a pair of tennis shoes last me more than 4 months.

I only buy durability guaranteed shoes so I always get a free pair. Ever shoe eventually wears through the sole on the right foot either in the toe and/or the ball of the foot. There has been a time or two where the left wore through as well.

I have owned:
Barricades (models2-6) which last ~3 months.
Nike AirCourt Ballistic (2.3) which last ~3.5 months.
Prince T22 which Im at 3.5 months right now and still going.

SJSA
03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
You'd better wearing mid-cut tennis shoes with a brace to protect your ankle. You could be injured again very easily.

adventure
03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
None of us could afford to do it, but Michael Jordan received new shoes for every game.

frunk
03-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Normally about two months tops.

chrisberchris
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Cb 3.3 last about 3 1/2 months for me. I wear the tread down on the heel and toes first. I seldom toe trag, so my tops stop pretty much intact

mmk
03-22-2012, 03:59 AM
You'd better wearing mid-cut tennis shoes with a brace to protect your ankle. You could be injured again very easily.

Agreed. In 2000 I destroyed my right ankle: completely tore 2 ligaments, partially tore a 3rd ligament, ruptured the joint capsule and had a "high ankle sprain" as well, turned my whole foot and half my lower leg black. I was 44 at the time and the ortho said if I were younger he'd operate, but at my age there was no point. He also said to wear mid or high-topped shoes and braces when I started playing again, as (badly) injured ankles are rarely ever completely right again. I quit wearing the braces about a year ago, but wouldn't play in anything other than mid-tops, currently Prince Vipers.

nn
03-22-2012, 09:36 AM
In my experience, once your feet start hurting, it's time to get a new pair of tennis shoes. That is usually the sign for me to get a new pair.

yes, I do the same. I notice when outsole start to smooth out it is time for new shoes.

kensan
04-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Soles last awhile, but the cushioning breaks down quick. For me, I feel the pain in the balls of my feet, is the signal for me to buy a new pair. Somewhere around 2 months.

Yourtenniscoach
04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
You guys must be hard on shoes. I play 2-3 times a week and can stretch a pair of shoes out between 8-12 months. I have a pair of Propulse 2s that are about 3 years old that I still wear from time to time.

Just got my Propulse 3s in the mail. Hoping for the same kind of success with them.

FLYTYER1964
04-01-2012, 09:53 PM
My Barricade 6's are going strong after 6 months but the one thing I like to do is get two pairs of shoes I like and alternate them. The shoes last twice as long and you always have a backup pair.

cknobman
04-02-2012, 07:13 AM
You guys must be hard on shoes. I play 2-3 times a week and can stretch a pair of shoes out between 8-12 months. I have a pair of Propulse 2s that are about 3 years old that I still wear from time to time.

Just got my Propulse 3s in the mail. Hoping for the same kind of success with them.

I guess it depends somewhat on the level your playing combined with if your playing singles or not.

If your playing 3.0-3.5(singles or doubles) or 4.0-4.5(exclusively doubles) then you may be putting less wear on your shoes than someone playing singles at a higher level.

Yourtenniscoach
04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I guess it depends somewhat on the level your playing combined with if your playing singles or not.

If your playing 3.0-3.5(singles or doubles) or 4.0-4.5(exclusively doubles) then you may be putting less wear on your shoes than someone playing singles at a higher level.

I'm a 4.0 player (former DIII/ NAIA player). I've just never been hard on my shoes. I don't slide or drag my feet when I play. Guess I'm just lucky.

cknobman
04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
For me the toe is always the first to go, especially on the right foot.

I guess it comes from dragging my toe on serve.