PDA

View Full Version : Two Different Frames? ("Emergency" Racquet)

Brittparnell21
03-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Does anyone carry like 2-5 racquets with the same setup and also one "emergency" racquet? What I mean is, say you're playing in a match or a tournament, and you have your favorite frame and string setup that you use daily, but for some reason you just can't find the sweet spot (it happens). Does anyone carry another racquet that might be a little more forgiving if you do find yourself having one of those off days? I play with the Wilson 6.1 PS 90 and I can't decided whether to just buy the same frame or if it might be worth it to get the 95 or even something a little bigger like the Pure Drive. I'd appreciate y'alls input with the spring USTA season coming right up.

monolith694
03-21-2012, 06:01 AM
As someone who used to carry around multiple different racquets, this is a terrible idea. Every racquet plays a little bit differently. You could weight up one racquet to the exact specs of another racquet, but it will still not play the same. You'll take a few games or even a set to get used to the racquet, and by that time, you've probably already lost it. Get another 90. It's what you're used to. The PD is far more powerful than any 90 out there, so I would reckon a lot of your shots would go long if you made such a sudden change.

TimothyO
03-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Monolith is correct. Two different frames is a mistake.

Better advice, especially during transitional periods of weather when it might be in the 80s during the day and 60s at night: have two of the same frame strung within a few pounds of each other. Use the tighter one when it's hot or if you're getting nervous and not controlling shots as well. Use the looser one when it's cooler or if you're game is totally on and you can exploit/control the added power. You don't want them massively different and you may even bump or reduce both a couple of pounds between seasons of heat and cold. Just a wee bit different.

Your game will be more consistent and you can also test/compare new string setups more accurately while always having at least one frame strung your favorite way.

I've tried both ways and the different frames approach is a huge waste and hurts your game. I even tried that approach for singles vs doubles and it was still foolish.

Your strokes are your strokes and if you want them consistent and repeatable you need your hardware to support, NOT hinder, that goal.

fuzz nation
03-21-2012, 06:35 AM
My answer runs along the lines of all of the above.

It makes very good sense to have a pair of your favorite racquet so that you'll be good and geared up on match day. Strings break. For some of us, they break faster than others, but when your general game is dialed in on the predictable response that you get from "your racquet", it's nice to be able to pop a string and grab your backup without any changes.

Then there are those days when we just don't have our mojo. Sometimes it takes a half-hour to wake up the synapses and start hitting the ball right, but on some days, it's just not clicking. It may seem harder to see the ball well, swing the racquet with good timing... whatever. Those are the occasions where I've honestly benefitted from having a different racquet in my bag. I don't know exactly what it is, but there's some sort of jolt to the tennis senses when I'm suddenly swinging one of my less familiar racquets.

Some of our pals have good reason to advise that you stick with the same gear and get a matching backup. I agree with that, but I also encourage you to try other frames here and there. If you come across something that's fun to noodle with, that could be a good "off day" racquet to have handy. We don't compete to earn our lunch money like the pros do, so if you come across a different racquet that you also like to use, it will only promote a good time for you on the courts.

I've had great luck with the sellers on the classifieds here and some of the deals have been good enough that I've been able to go with the "buy it to try it" approach on more than one frame. Just avoid getting so caught up in the world of gear options that it becomes a distraction - gotta keep after your game no matter what.

Brittparnell21
03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Great responses guys. Thank you. I string my 90s with technifibre x-one 17 at 52. I'll give something like 56-58 a try. I had a racquet strung a while with gamma zo verve 17 at 58 or maybe 60 (I think). It felt hard and i hit the tape and landed groundstrokes in the service boxes frustratingly often. I think it'll be better with the x-one. Once again thank you. Y'all saved me from inevitably selling another racquet to a friend for half of what i paid for it

blipblop
03-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Other replies have been very well-said. I used to be of the impression that an 'emergency' racket was a good idea. Then I found out that I just had an itch to buy and try other frames. If you are just goofing around recreationally, then sure use however many different rackets you want.

But for anyone serious (USTA league!), I agree that it's better to stick with one so you can focus on other aspects of winning. The caveat is though to make sure your 'main' is really what suits your game and gives you confidence.