PDA

View Full Version : headtape instead of leadtape..any differences??

martin
03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
I placed a lot of layers of headguard tape(around 15 grams from 2 till 10 o'clock) instead of leadtape because i thought it would protect the racket and I considered it should have the same effect but still I wonder if leadtape wouldn't feel more solid because leadtape is a more dense material. Consider that weight of the leadtape and headguard tape will be exactly the same.

Anyone who tried it??

blipblop
03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
The main consideration I can think of is the head tape is placed on the outer part of the racket, whereas lead tape is usually placed on the inner diameter. This leads to two main differences:

1. The head tape will wear away as it does its job and protects the bumper. Over time it will lose weight.

2. Given same mass of head tape vs lead tape, the head tape should increase swingweight more than the lead tape, depending on the thickness (depth?) of your racket's beam. i.e. Since the head tape is ~.75 inches further away from the balance point, moment of inertia increases by a greater margin.

Both of these effects will probably be negligible for you though. Especially since for #1 you can just replace the worn tape. Unless you have a really thick racket or if you are adding a lot of weight, the swingweight difference will probably be negligible as well. So yea, you could definitely "kill two birds with one stone" in this situation. Good luck!

jjs891
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Sometimes with new frames I use headtape to see if I want more weight in the hoop. This way I can easily take it off during the play if it's not working out. Once I figure out what works, I usually prefer to place lead tape. At least tha's what I like. If it works for you with tape, I don't see any problems with it.