PDA

View Full Version : Soon to 50 years old and moving to a HEAVIER, but MORE HEADLIGHT frame with LOWER SW

BounceHitBounceHit
03-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Greetings Fellow Tennis Addicts,

Just as the title says, I am rapidly approaching 50 years of age but have found I am playing better with a frame that is higher in STATIC weight, but more HL and possesed of a LOWER SW.

I came across this notion while play-testing the new BLX PS 90 for the TW reviews. For years I'd stuck with my beloved AK90's, custom matched and spec'd by 1stServiceTennis.com to my preferred set-up of 343 grams/32.5 cm/335 SW. But the 'stock' BLX PS felt SO good I decided to switch it up and the results have been very satisfying. Better depth with less effort, more spin and pop on the serve, and all this with more manuverability at net as well as improve stability on ALL shots. :)

Has anyone else had this experience?

Best,

BHBH

Geoff
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I am the lucky recipient of this experience!

Just as the title says, I am rapidly approaching 50 years of age but have found I am playing better with a frame that is higher in STATIC weight, but more HL and possesed of a LOWER SW.

I came across this notion while play-testing the new BLX PS 90 for the TW reviews. For years I'd stuck with my beloved AK90's, custom matched and spec'd by 1stServiceTennis.com to my preferred set-up of 343 grams/32cm/335 SW. But the 'stock' BLX PS felt SO good I decided to switch it up and the results have been very satisfying. Better depth with less effort, more spin and pop on the serve, and all this with more manuverability at net as well as improve stability on ALL shots. :)

Best,

BHBH

LeeD
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Our memory and preferences change constantly.
So keep a set of each.
I have 3PrinceTTOS's, 3 Mfil&Aero200's, 3 Aero500's, and 2 LMRadMids.
Each can work just fine, given the correct mental state of the idiot holding those rackets. Just recently, I've switched back to the heaviest (12.4oz) from the lightest, and it's just fine.

corners
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM

I came across this notion while play-testing the new BLX PS 90 for the TW reviews. For years I'd stuck with my beloved AK90's, custom matched and spec'd by 1stServiceTennis.com to my preferred set-up of 343 grams/32cm/335 SW. But the 'stock' BLX PS felt SO good I decided to switch it up and the results have been very satisfying. Better depth with less effort, more spin and pop on the serve, and all this with more manuverability at net as well as improve stability on ALL shots. :)

Best,

BHBH

BHBH, looking at the new specs in your sig (355/32.5cm/327SW) vs. your AK90s (342/32cm/335SW) it appears you increased weight, dropped swingweight slightly but actually lengthened your balance (made it more head-heavy). Is your new balance listed correctly?

BounceHitBounceHit
03-21-2012, 06:33 PM
BHBH, looking at the new specs in your sig (355/32.5cm/327SW) vs. your AK90s (342/32cm/335SW) it appears you increased weight, dropped swingweight slightly but actually lengthened your balance (made it more head-heavy). Is your new balance listed correctly?

You are right!

The correct specs are: 355/32/327

Best,

CC

sparkyS4
03-21-2012, 06:58 PM

I came across this notion while play-testing the new BLX PS 90 for the TW reviews. For years I'd stuck with my beloved AK90's, custom matched and spec'd by 1stServiceTennis.com to my preferred set-up of 343 grams/32.5 cm/335 SW. But the 'stock' BLX PS felt SO good I decided to switch it up and the results have been very satisfying. Better depth with less effort, more spin and pop on the serve, and all this with more manuverability at net as well as improve stability on ALL shots. :)

Best,

BHBH

You know, I have always played with a high static weight, relatively low swing weight set up. I have been playing with Prince Diablo mids that weigh 370 grams, with a swing weight of 330, the balance is sitting at 30.2. I have tried many different rackets and set ups, but can't seem to get away from the diablo's.

As an aging 5.0+, I always think that I could benefit from some free power or spin that a more "modern" stick could provide, but am always disappointed when I try the "tweeners". Guess my strokes are grooved to a more classic type of set up.

LeeD
03-21-2012, 07:01 PM
I"m 63.
Nothing is free in life.
As you accumulate more firepower, so does the opposition, making you both need to work on your fitness, which your increasing age doesn't allow freely.

Geoff
03-22-2012, 05:23 AM
You are right!

The correct specs are: 355/32/327

Best,

CC

Actually your specs are 356.5g/31.3cm/324SW.

El Diablo
03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Geoff
The 31.3 cm. is BounceHit's balance point?

Geoff
03-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Geoff
The 31.3 cm. is BounceHit's balance point?

He went from 340g/32cm/335SW to 356.5g/31.3cm/324SW. He liked the feel so much of the blacked out Pro Staff BLX 90 that I duplicated the specs when he started using the actual frames (retail pj). BHBH could play effectively well with any racquet. Case in point, I strung a Wilson T-2000 for a mutual friend of ours and BHBH was able to achieve his usual pace, spin, depth, placement and consistency. His volleys were incredible with this racquet. BHBH has text book technique and impressive skills.

Rabbit
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
My experience has been just the opposite. I moved from a higher static weight to a lower static weight (12.2 to 11) and about the same swing weight (323 to 314) and more even balance (8 pts HL to 1 pt HL).

The last time I played this well was with the Hammer 5.0 when I played 5.0, back last century. :) It's been one year since I cut over to the EXO3 Tour Team and I find my game has really gotten better and better. I have posted that I've become a semi-regular in a 4-some with some 35-ish 5.0's. I find that I am more than holding my own and the last 3 times we've played, played better than my partner who is a former D1 player. Of course, it's only doubles, but hey. And, he's got me playing first court where I regularly play 2nd court.

If, as he indicated above, Geoff can work the magic on your existing frames and you play well with a T2000 spec'd the same, do it. Don't be afraid to make a change and don't let yourself "out think" your game. As far as frames go, if it feels good, it's got to be good. I've become fairly good friends with a 4.5 senior teaching pro from Alabama, and he plays a very high level with a Wilson BLX Stratus 3. It's just whatever works, my friend.

Geoff
03-22-2012, 02:25 PM
My experience has been just the opposite. I moved from a higher static weight to a lower static weight (12.2 to 11) and about the same swing weight (323 to 314) and more even balance (8 pts HL to 1 pt HL).

The last time I played this well was with the Hammer 5.0 when I played 5.0, back last century. :) It's been one year since I cut over to the EXO3 Tour Team and I find my game has really gotten better and better. I have posted that I've become a semi-regular in a 4-some with some 35-ish 5.0's. I find that I am more than holding my own and the last 3 times we've played, played better than my partner who is a former D1 player. Of course, it's only doubles, but hey. And, he's got me playing first court where I regularly play 2nd court.

If, as he indicated above, Geoff can work the magic on your existing frames and you play well with a T2000 spec'd the same, do it. Don't be afraid to make a change and don't let yourself "out think" your game. As far as frames go, if it feels good, it's got to be good. I've become fairly good friends with a 4.5 senior teaching pro from Alabama, and he plays a very high level with a Wilson BLX Stratus 3. It's just whatever works, my friend.

Hi Rabbit

The T2000 had scary specs. Swingweight over 370 and static weight over 370g. I can't remember the balance. Anyway I totally agree with your perspective on frames -

"Don't be afraid to make a change and don't let yourself "out think" your game. As far as frames go, if it feels good, it's got to be good."

BounceHitBounceHit
03-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Please see updated signature! I am curious if this still conforms to T-Jam's 'formula'? Do you know? Best, BHBH

BounceHitBounceHit
03-23-2012, 07:34 AM
He went from 340g/32cm/335SW to 356.5g/31.3cm/324SW. He liked the feel so much of the blacked out Pro Staff BLX 90 that I duplicated the specs when he started using the actual frames (retail pj). BHBH could play effectively well with any racquet. Case in point, I strung a Wilson T-2000 for a mutual friend of ours and BHBH was able to achieve his usual pace, spin, depth, placement and consistency. His volleys were incredible with this racquet. BHBH has text book technique and impressive skills.

You are too kind. But you forgot to mention a great friend and on court coach in you! :) BHBH

BounceHitBounceHit
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Hi Rabbit

The T2000 had scary specs. Swingweight over 370 and static weight over 370g. I can't remember the balance. Anyway I totally agree with your perspective on frames -

"Don't be afraid to make a change and don't let yourself "out think" your game. As far as frames go, if it feels good, it's got to be good."

Yes. It's MUCH more about the swing path, in my opinion, in terms of generating depth, pace, and spin. :) BHBH

Geoff
03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Yes. It's MUCH more about the swing path, in my opinion, in terms of generating depth, pace, and spin. :) BHBH

As stated in the Sameness thread it's not the plane it's the pilot! Also aligns with Rabbit's observations.

Rabbit
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi Rabbit

I gotta tell you. A few years ago, I acquired a T2000. I slipped it in my bag and was going to hit with it....with 20-something year old strings. A really good friend of mine had just purchased a new Wilson Rollers frame. He told me to pull it out and dared me to play a set of singles.

My first serve was an ace. :)

The T2000 was/is an awesome frame and way ahead of its time.

LeeD
03-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Rabbit, but you forget the rest of the set!
After that initial ace, you could still smack every shot, but they went all over the place, long and short, left and right, up and down.
They put a bridge to control the throat spring...3000, for a reason.

anirut
03-23-2012, 06:54 PM
BHBH, you're making me wanting to try the BLXPS90 too!

Rabbit
03-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Rabbit, but you forget the rest of the set!
After that initial ace, you could still smack every shot, but they went all over the place, long and short, left and right, up and down.
They put a bridge to control the throat spring...3000, for a reason.

You know, I wound up winning that set much to his chagrin. (Actually he thought it was funnier than hell [he ditched the roller about a week later]).

My old boss was a D1 tennis player back in the 60s. He played against me when I was using the Vilas. He laughed and said "You know, it really doesn't matter how big the racquet is if you can hit it in the middle." There is definitely truth there.

I actually love the T2000.

bad_call
03-24-2012, 09:03 AM
You know, I wound up winning that set much to his chagrin. (Actually he thought it was funnier than hell [he ditched the roller about a week later]).

My old boss was a D1 tennis player back in the 60s. He played against me when I was using the Vilas. He laughed and said "You know, it really doesn't matter how big the racquet is if you can hit it in the middle." There is definitely truth there.

ahhh...back in the days of flat hitting...and the Beatles. :)

SFrazeur
03-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Love hitting with the T-2000! I'm still trying to re-string mine.

-SF

BounceHitBounceHit
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
BHBH, you're making me wanting to try the BLXPS90 too!

Don't try it unless you are ready to spring for some new sticks because you are going to LOVE it. ;) BHBH

BounceHitBounceHit
03-26-2012, 04:06 PM

No greater truth, and often lost on this board. ;) BHBH

BounceHitBounceHit
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Love hitting with the T-2000! I'm still trying to re-string mine.

-SF

Geoff can tell you how! :) Happy Hitting, BHBH

anirut
03-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Don't try it unless you are ready to spring for some new sticks because you are going to LOVE it. ;) BHBH

Ahhh .... this is very tempting. May be, if I get commissioned to work for a few weeks in the States sometime this year, I might get 'a few'.

SFrazeur
03-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Geoff can tell you how! :) Happy Hitting, BHBH

I understand the pattern, however, I just keep screwing it up. :)

-SF

Geoff
03-27-2012, 09:28 AM
I understand the pattern, however, I just keep screwing it up. :)

-SF

Hi SF

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you would like to call me when stringing the T2000. I am happy to help in any way you would like. I find the keys are paying attention to the short side when starting and the unique way that you do the turns (back up loops) on the top of the "long side". The knots are a little tricky but mostlt just awkward as we are using to tying around a string and not a metal loop.