PDA

View Full Version : vibration dampener

heavyspin
05-01-2004, 05:26 PM
what are the advantages and disadvantages of a vibration dampener. I heard that using them cuts down power and feel put decreses the ping sound. If a racquet doesn't need one should I not use one. Which one is the best. thanks.

TripleThreatPlayer
05-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Dampners don't really reduce shock to the arm, but just remove the pinging sound (and somtimes cause a softer feel). I've tried a variety, and the best has to be the rubberband, efficient, cheap, and does the job.

normnmiles
05-01-2004, 09:06 PM
A website that described how to tie a specific knot using a rubber band claims it increases the tension of the stringbed by about 5 pounds. Which should decrease power and increase control.

I recently converted to a rubber band as my dampener device. The stringbed definitely feels tighter with it then without it.

heavyspin
05-02-2004, 06:14 AM
would the tension increase and you lose power and feel if you used a regular one like gamma no shock or the pete sampras ones?

Kirko
05-02-2004, 08:59 AM
With a dampner I get the sensation all my shots are solid love it ! I now use the rubber band I think its the best not too much not too little.

Nas Eclipse
05-02-2004, 09:34 AM
i use a rubber band on my racquets and before i didnt have a vibration dampener on the racquets it felt exactly the same to me. Just no ping noise

heavyspin
05-02-2004, 11:25 AM
does everyone use a rubber band? If you do not please tell me!

normnmiles
05-02-2004, 12:56 PM
I've tried several different ones but as I stated in my previous post have decided on the trusty old rubber band. Here are some of my observations of the different types available.

The unique (Pete Sampras) brand along with the many manufactor provided ones have a lower effect on the strings. Mainly they helped with the ping noise and gave a slighty tighter feel. The worm or string kind which you weave in between the main strings have the greatest effect on the strings and give the tightest feel. The rubber band is a little different because the knot you use has different effects. Some knots create a tighter string bed while others have a lower effect.

Since everyone is different the best thing you can do is try different ones and see which ones you like the best. What works for me probably won't work for you. Though I would say the rubber band offers the most flexiblity because of the different knots you can tie.

HTH

heavyspin
05-02-2004, 01:06 PM
how much tension would be increased if i put in a gama shockbuster1

ProStaffTour90
05-02-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm still struggling with this!

Can somebody please give me a detailed description on how to put the elastic band on the stringbed, which knot?, which strings? etc.

or alink to a webpage describing it!!!

Thanx

Kirko
05-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Look down on "How to tie your rubbers" . I tie it by putting the band thru the 2 middle strings were they meet the last cross tie it once then bring it thru again & make the final tie .

orange223
05-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Love the rubber band. Been using it for almost a year now. Couldn't stand it when a commercial vibration dampener comes off during a rally, then have to find it between points, or move on to the next point without it. Poing! Poing! Poing...!

The best way to describe it is to lay a broken rubber band on the floor (carpet). Lay your racquet down on top of it so the bottom cross is on top, horizontally, of the rubber band. Bring the two ends up through the strings so that the two center mains are in between the two ends of the rubber band, sort of cradling the two center mains. I then take the two ends across the two mains and double tie them on the other side. Works for me.

cheezecake
05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Does this knot give you the tightest string bed? If not, which one does?

Kirko
05-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I think the way I mentioned ; its the way Flipper ties it .

ProStaffTour90
05-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanx guys

I also found this webpage with a tutorial on how to tie one! Here! (http://www.************.com/dynamic/home/learn/article.cfm?ID=28&NAME=Tie%20Rubber%20Band%20Knot& PAGE=Rookies%20%26%20Pros&DIRECTORY=rookies&AUTHOR =Andre%20Agassi%20and%20Andy%20Roddick)

Kirko
05-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Just for fun I tied a rubber band in my niece's racket shes 7yr. She takes lessons & I "pitcch" balls to her on the court to hit . The result was fantastic ! Her contact improved pronto! She hated the way it looked but liked the end result . She use a Michael Chang junior model.

kreative
05-05-2004, 12:10 PM
rubberband or wilson "w" works for me. i can't stand the pinging sound. dunno what else it does for me.

equinox
07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
what are the advantages and disadvantages of a vibration dampener. I heard that using them cuts down power and feel put decreses the ping sound. If a racquet doesn't need one should I not use one. Which one is the best. thanks.

Stay away the hard plastic ones you buy at tennis stores. Best is rubber band or cable grommet.

maximo
07-17-2009, 10:18 AM
having a Dampener is more of a mental thing, i personally don't use them..