PDA

View Full Version : Head/Bumper Guard Prince O3 Speedport

Fatawan
03-22-2012, 05:30 AM
As the high-schooler rackets flow in(first season stringing for me), I got a couple Prince O3 Speedport Blacks in. Both had mains broken at the top, and all the strings were rubbed thin where the kid obviously drags the racket on the ground. The strings actually stick up above the guard. Is this a flaw of this racket or will replacing the guard get the strings back into a protected groove? They are both so worn that I have no idea what new looked like.

Where do you guys get the replacements? I couldn't find at TW website.

Fatawan
03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Oh--one other thing. I saw some replacements on ****, one with a label "port" and one with label "hole"--whats the difference?

Irvin
03-22-2012, 05:35 AM
Grommets should have been replaced long ago. It may be too late if there is severe wear on the graphite portion of the racket or when you can't find the grommet any more.

Irvin
03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Oh--one other thing. I saw some replacements on ****, one with a label "port" and one with label "hole"--whats the difference?

Not real sure myself on that one. Try calling Prince to find out 1 800 2 TENNIS

Irvin
03-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Looks like one has the ports:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?pcode=PEXOTBPI
and the other has individual grommet holes
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?pcode=PEXBTHI

EDIT: They are available in black and silver http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=products&type=&searchtext=prince+black+grommet

Irvin
03-22-2012, 05:50 AM
If you are new to stringing be careful stringing those crosses. If you get the hole grommet you might think they will hold up under tension when you pull tension on the upper crosses in the port but they might not. Make sure you use a boomerang (you can get them from Prince free) or use some other means to string the rackets.

Fatawan
03-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks Irvin--I watched all your Prince videos already :) I found the guard at TW and ordered a couple. Now I have to convince the kid to stop dragging his racket on the ground.

Clintspin
03-22-2012, 07:23 AM
One site had those grommets in a half-dozen cool colors. It made it fun to change someones racquet into a different looking racquet every stringing. If you buy the holes instead of the ports-make sure to string them just as if you were stringing the ports and by that I mean put the side labeled short side on the correct side. Otherwise, the grommets will really ripped very easily during stringing.

esgee48
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
There's two ways to do it. 1) Charge $10 - $15 more to get and install the guard 2) Warn the kid that it may no longer be string-able the next time if you can't obtain replacement parts. This tactic works for me. :twisted:

I am assuming that the damage was deliberate rather than wear from normal use (worn down at 1-2 or 10-11 o'clock.)

Irvin
03-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Don't just pick on the kids that do that. Adults do the same thing. They just don't think about cost when they are going after that low ball. Fix the racket as long as you can it is up to them whether they want to continue paying you to fix it or not.

esgee48
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
I actually tell all my customers the same thing, especially if the grommet wear is 'abnormal.' I also tell them to buy extra sets of grommets for themselves or if asked, will buy sets for them, which I will give them when I return the racquet. Of course, they will be charged for it if I have to get the grommets.

tennis_ocd
03-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Oh--one other thing. I saw some replacements on ****, one with a label "port" and one with label "hole"--whats the difference? I think you can replace the ports with traditional hole grommets. Irwin has an interesting point as how the hole replacement will stand up to stringing crosses.

Irvin
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
I think you can replace the ports with traditional hole grommets. Irwin has an interesting point as how the hole replacement will stand up to stringing crosses.

I think that's right the grommets are much like the EXO3 frames with what has been referred to as 'Pin hole' grommets. It may give you more of the feel of a conventional racket rather than the string bed playing from the edge as Prince claims.