PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid with TiMo mains?

Grimjack
02-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I've never experimented with hybrids, and thought I might, to start out this upcoming season. I have a couple sets of TiMo 17g sitting on the shelf, waiting for me.

Has anybody found happiness hybridding with this in the mains? What did you use as a cross?

If the answer to the above is "gut," then that won't help, 'cuz I'm not splurging for it. 8)

If it makes a difference, I'm playing Head PT280's, and currently using LF Supreme 17g.

TIA.

GP
02-24-2004, 09:55 PM
I use Alpha Gut 2000 as the hybrid cross with TiMo. It works great!

I think Rabbit has posted in the past about using Technifibre NRG or one of their multifilaments as a cross hybrid.

I used to use Technifibre NRG and 515 as a cross hybrid with all sorts of main strings. The main advantages of Alpha Gut compared to the Technifibre strings are -

1. Alpha Gut is a lot cheaper - half the price of the Technifibre strings!!!! (used to be even cheaper, in fact, it was once the cheapest nylon multifilament offered by TW, until they raised the price)

2. As a cross string, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the twice-as-expensive Technifibre string vs. the Alpha Gut.

3. Alpha Gut is a FUSED multifilament. Technifibre is not fused. Those 1400 microfilaments in the Technifibre strings slowly break and frizz up as the cross strings get rubbed. Your racquet starts to look like it badly needs a shave. Alpha Gut stays nice and clean as it gets ground down.

Anyway, using a multifilament nylon cross string takes a lot of the harshness of the TiMO out. Proportional Stringing will take even more of the harshness out, and you are left with a very crisp, fairly powerful stringbed that has GREAT durability. Ideal for hard hitters who play a lot of tennis

Grimjack
02-25-2004, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the info.

Any other thoughts anybody?

Rabbit
02-25-2004, 06:46 AM
I agree with GP. The crosses make a difference, but not that much difference in your string job. I think Alpha Gut 2000, or certainly the Laserfibre you already play with would make great choices in your cross.

When I strung a hybrid in my rackets, I strung both the mains (TIMO) and crosses (gut or NRG or Powerfibre) at the same tension, 54 pounds. I don't think it makes any difference that the multi (crosses) will lose slightly more tension than the Luxilon.

Hope this helps and good luck.