PDA

View Full Version : Shoes and Orthotics

ced
03-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Dr. has prescribed custom orthotics ..... something new for me ..... looking for the best shoe that accommodates this.

My Asics feel a little tight ..... my K-Swiss do not have removable insoles .... my Lottos are comfortable, but heavy and the same with my Filas.

What luck have you had in fitting custom orthotics with what shoe ?

ciocc
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Are yours full-length or half-length orthotics? I wear Asics GR2 with my half-length orthotics and they fit very well after I cut off the original insole and threw away the rear half.

ced
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Are yours full-length or half-length orthotics? I wear Asics GR2 with my half-length orthotics and they fit very well after I cut off the original insole and threw away the rear half.

Mine are full length ..... thanks for your reply. My Asics are a little snug in the toe, but otherwise ok.

arche3
03-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Mine are full length ..... thanks for your reply. My Asics are a little snug in the toe, but otherwise ok.

I wear custom orthodics as well. I just take out the insole of the tennis shoe. I now wear b6. And have used various Nike shoes with no issues. Just pulled out stock insole.

FearOfTheDark
03-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Lacoste shoes have a removable in-sole :) Well my pair do anyways and my orthodic fits right in :)

FlameYo
03-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Some insoles come glued on so you can easily rip them out.

All shoes will fit the custom insert,but you'll have buy a shoe .5-1.5 bigger depending on the size of the insert. Most sporting good stores will carry Adidas Barricade/Bercadu Teams or Nike City Courts. Try different sizes with your insert for the best fit.

Boxer
03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm also using custom orthotics. In my case for weak arches and over-pronation. Hard shell heel cup and arch support with a soft forefoot that has cork underlay to form a kind of "channel" to hold my big toes. My feet are also somewhat straight (less C shaped curl around the instep when viewed plan-form from above). They aren't wide per say...measured they are a "D" but the straight profile makes wider fitting shoes work better for me.

If your orthorics and issues are like that then my experiences may help you.

First: as an over-pronation sufferer the arch support is key. Soft shoe bed under the orthotic literally undermines the value of the arch support: my weight squishes the arch support down into the cushioned shoe material...the whole orthotic pronates and my foot with it...that's not good. This is especially true at heel/foot strike which is the time when you need help most to counter the maximum load the arch suffers. Thus, shoes that have relatively less cushioning underfoot are key to getting the most out of the orthotic as designed.

For example, only Nike's I can fit at all are Vapor Tour's (seven or newer are wide enough in the toe box to work for my straight feet). But...they are squishy underfoot so I don't get enough arch support even with the orthotics in...the orthotics _do_ fit into the shoe flat on the bed once you remove the sock liner however. Everything else I tried in Nike (Breathe, Ballistec) I couldn't get the orthotic to sit flat because the foot bed under the liner wouldn't accomodate the width of either the heel cup or arch area of the orthotic or both.

I was using Barricade V's from MiAdidas -- they let you order men's wide fitting in that generation. The orthotic just barely sat flush on the footbed of those and after usual Barricade break in time we're quite usable. B6 was a disaster for my orthotics -- no fit no how. B7 is better but they are too C shaped in normal width fitting (crush my last two toes badly) in use even though the orthotics will go in them [mostly flat].

New Balance are generally very compatible with orthotics -- footbeds under the liners tend to be flat and wide in the heel area and arch. I had durability issues with NB though and I didn't find any variety that felt as safe in stability as the Barricades...and the latter spoiled me forever in terms of being able to plant and be certain my foot wasn't going to slip or slide. NB's were comfy and effective from pain relief POV though.

I tried Asics Gel Resolutions too -- those were very compatible with orthotics sitting properly in the shoe. They seem quite squishy too though underfoot so I didn't get enough arch support there either. Wide enough toe box to accomodate my foot shape too.

What I'm using now is Babolat Propulse 3's. Good compatibility with orthotics once the sock liner is removed (possibly the best I've tried actually). Relatively solid underfoot so good arch support effect. The straps on them can be yurked down pretty far to lock your foot in so they seem almost as stable as Barricades (but lighter and a better shape for my foot).

Oh, looked at a couple of Wilson shoes at various points but it seems like they have glued in sock liners...you can get them out but they seriously mess up your orthotics with residual glue :/

I have a couple of friends locally with high arch/supination problems and who use orthotics -- they do well with Nike Vapor and Asics GR's apparently.

Hope that is of some help...getting relief from painful feet is a huge win in my experience. Good luck!

nyc
03-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I also have custom orthotics, and used to use them in Barricades and Nike Breathe 2k10s without a problem. Just remove the existing ones.
Agree that Asics were a little tight.

On a side note I recently changed my custom orthotics for every day ones - reason being that I spend a whole lot more time just plain walking than running or playing Tennis.

That move took care of all my back and hip pain I was experiencing.

ced
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
I also have custom orthotics, and used to use them in Barricades and Nike Breathe 2k10s without a problem. Just remove the existing ones.
Agree that Asics were a little tight.

On a side note I recently changed my custom orthotics for every day ones - reason being that I spend a whole lot more time just plain walking than running or playing Tennis.

That move took care of all my back and hip pain I was experiencing.

Appreciate your reply ... will also invest in some everyday ones !

ced
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm also using custom orthotics.
If your orthorics and issues are like that then my experiences may help you.
........................>>

New Balance are generally very compatible with orthotics -- footbeds under the liners tend to be flat and wide in the heel area and arch. I had durability issues with NB though and I didn't find any variety that felt as safe in stability as the Barricades...and the latter spoiled me forever in terms of being able to plant and be certain my foot wasn't going to slip or slide. NB's were comfy and effective from pain relief POV though.

I tried Asics Gel Resolutions too -- those were very compatible with orthotics sitting properly in the shoe. They seem quite squishy too though underfoot so I didn't get enough arch support there either. Wide enough toe box to accomodate my foot shape too.

What I'm using now is Babolat Propulse 3's. Good compatibility with orthotics once the sock liner is removed (possibly the best I've tried actually). Relatively solid underfoot so good arch support effect. The straps on them can be yurked down pretty far to lock your foot in so they seem almost as stable as Barricades (but lighter and a better shape for my foot).

.................>>>>
Hope that is of some help...getting relief from painful feet is a huge win in my experience. Good luck!

Boxer thanks for your reply ...... I have a new pair of New Balance on order (due today) and am hoping they will work ....My Asics Gels are just too snug in the toe w/ the orthotic in place of the insole ......work best in my Filas, but they are a little heavy.

I can see I'm not the only one having problems, and trial and error is a little too expensive a way to resolve it ... will definitely make a note of the Babolat Propulse 3 .

ced
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Some insoles come glued on so you can easily rip them out.

All shoes will fit the custom insert,but you'll have buy a shoe .5-1.5 bigger depending on the size of the insert. Most sporting good stores will carry Adidas Barricade/Bercadu Teams or Nike City Courts. Try different sizes with your insert for the best fit.

Thanks , this is good advice.