PDA

View Full Version : Stringway clamp manipulation

kabrac
03-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Anyone ever took a Stringway double flying clamp and turned it into a regular flying clamp? Seems like all you would have to do is take it apart and take out the middle spacer.

KerryR
03-24-2012, 08:18 AM
If you reduced a double to a 'single' it wouldn't work as a flyer any more-- you need to clamp 2 strings in order for the tension-opposition principal work.

What are you trying to accomplish?

kabrac
03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
If you reduced a double to a 'single' it wouldn't work as a flyer any more-- you need to clamp 2 strings in order for the tension-opposition principal work.

What are you trying to accomplish?

If I get a hair cut, do I cease to be Me? No.

Not all flying clamps clamp on 2 strings, hence why Stringway calls it a "double flying clamp". If I took their triple flying clamp and took out one of the spacers, it would be the same as their double flying clamp. Same thing I'm trying to accomplish with their double, I want it to be a single.

I want it to work like a fixed clamp except that it will still be a flying clamp. I want it to grip the sting I'm tensioning, not multiple. Also This will make the flying clamp less bulky and heavy. Those double and triple flying clamps are heavy, but they also grip multiple strings so it really doesn't matter.

mad dog1
03-24-2012, 11:28 AM
a flying clamp that doesn't clamp on 2 strings is the same as a starting clamp. is that what you're trying to accomplish? if so, wouldn't it be easier to just get a starting clamp? after all a starting clamp is lighter and less bulky, too. :confused:

kabrac
03-24-2012, 12:09 PM
a flying clamp that doesn't clamp on 2 strings is the same as a starting clamp. is that what you're trying to accomplish? if so, wouldn't it be easier to just get a starting clamp? after all a starting clamp is lighter and less bulky, too. :confused:

Look at a fixed clamp, one side has teeth, the other side has teeth. Look at Stringway fixed clamps, that is what I want to do, except I want them to be used as flying clamps, not fixed. This should not be complicated to get. Take a Stringway double flying clamp, Take it apart, Take out the middle peice, Put it back together, and you have what looks like your standard fixed clamp, except that it is not fixed, it is a flying clamp that grips a string just like a fixed clamp....except it is a flying clamp. Let's just call it the Stringway Single Flying Clamp.:idea:

mad dog1
03-24-2012, 12:47 PM
We understand the concept of your stringway single flying clamp contraption, but I'm trying to understand when and what scenario you'd use it for.

Stringway is a pretty innovative company so if there if they truly saw a need for a single flying clamp I think they would've already made one.

nalvarado
03-24-2012, 01:31 PM
So you want a flying clamp with teeth on both sides that grips on to a single string? What I see happening is that clamp will fail to hold tension due to the fact that there is nothing to support it. It will just drop, pulling the string from the grommet you just strung from. You would need something to hold tension on the outside as well. Unless I am just completely misreading what you want.

kabrac
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
So you want a flying clamp with teeth on both sides that grips on to a single string? What I see happening is that clamp will fail to hold tension due to the fact that there is nothing to support it. It will just drop, pulling the string from the grommet you just strung from. You would need something to hold tension on the outside as well. Unless I am just completely misreading what you want.

Okay people....I have been caught in my own dumbness:oops: That's why they make a double and triple flying clamp. I just could've sworn that I'd seen single action flying clamps. Doesn't Gamma and Prince include a single flying clamp with some of their machines?

mad dog1
03-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Okay people....I have been caught in my own dumbness:oops: That's why they make a double and triple flying clamp. I just could've sworn that I'd seen single action flying clamps. Doesn't Gamma and Prince include a single flying clamp with some of their machines?

glad you came to this conclusion on your own. :wink:

yeah, Gamma as well as other companies make a single flying clamp. they sell it and call it a starting clamp.

kabrac
03-24-2012, 04:17 PM
glad you came to this conclusion on your own. :wink:

yeah, Gamma as well as other companies make a single flying clamp. they sell it and call it a starting clamp.

Already got a starting clamp. Let us now make this thread dead:-P

Wikky
03-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I can't believe I just wasted 20 seconds of my life reading this.... but it was kinda entertaining.

Irvin
03-25-2012, 02:34 AM
I can't believe I just wasted 20 seconds of my life reading this.... but it was kinda entertaining.

I thought it was a little silly too but it did give me an idea.

Already got a starting clamp. Let us now make this thread dead:-P

Hold on there not so fast. If I used flying clamps I would try to built two spacers (one for the top with a center section for a third string and one for the bottom) for my clamps to turn them into a triple. You would also need longer bolts. If it did not work just put the original back together.

EDIT: What really surprises me is no one has tried it.

brownbearfalling
03-25-2012, 11:12 AM

It sounds like this guy was stubborn enough to make a "single" flying clamp and then realized it doesn't work when he tried to use it.

To reiterate what other have said, a clamp has to have 2 functions:
1. To grip the string being tensioned.
2. To hold that tension in place therefore the clamp needs to be anchored somehow. Fixed clamps are anchored to the machine, flying anchored to another string and starting clamps are anchored by the racquet frame, or a fixed clamp.

Irvin
03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
It sounds like this guy was stubborn enough to make a "single" flying clamp and then realized it doesn't work when he tried to use it...

I guess it is not possible to take out one of the center sections? It looks like two pieces:

http://www.newtechtennis.com/store/images/flying-clamp18.jpg

kabrac
03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
It is wayyyy possible. Got an allen wrench and a socket with bit? That's all there is to it.