PDA

View Full Version : Can a Wise be fitted onto a Stringway ?

kabrac
03-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Just wondering if a Wise can be fitted onto a Stringway, specifically on the ML100. I thought on their dropweights that the plates that surround the automatic tensior were welded on, but apparently they are not. Any Stringway users out there that can chime in?

mad dog1
03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
why would you want to retrofit a Wise on a Stringway? the main reason why most people upgrade to a Wise is for constant pull capability. the stringway autodropweight is already constant pull so there's no advantage to retrofitting a Wise to it.

is this another case of "you like what you like"?

Power Player
03-25-2012, 12:50 PM
^^^^

Cosign...I'd never mod my stringway.

Clintspin
03-25-2012, 01:56 PM
If you search the threads-there is a guy that said he put a wise on his machine. I ask for pictures but he never posted any. So it can be done.

As for why: There are a number of reasons why someone might want to try out the Wise on a Stringway.

Clintspin
03-25-2012, 02:09 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372064

Post #14

mad dog1
03-25-2012, 02:20 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372064

Post #14

post 17

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5490391&postcount=17

kabrac
03-25-2012, 04:19 PM
why would you want to retrofit a Wise on a Stringway? the main reason why most people upgrade to a Wise is for constant pull capability. the stringway autodropweight is already constant pull so there's no advantage to retrofitting a Wise to it.

is this another case of "you like what you like"?

Yes. Plus I hear you have to use their ruler to set tension, it is not on the bar, and their bar is really long. You would think if you pay $1300 for a dropweight with a stand, they could put the markings on the tension rod.

bbulla
03-25-2012, 06:15 PM
I have a Stringway, and it's already constant pull so I don't know why you want to spend even more money and put the Wise on it.

As for the tension bar not having the markings on the bar, it's because you can have more than one weight on the arm. To put markings on the arm for all the different weight combinations would be too messy. The ruler works fine, and really isn't a big deal.

kabrac
03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I have a Stringway, and it's already constant pull so I don't know why you want to spend even more money and put the Wise on it.

As for the tension bar not having the markings on the bar, it's because you can have more than one weight on the arm. To put markings on the arm for all the different weight combinations would be too messy. The ruler works fine, and really isn't a big deal.

Do you string alot for others? I'm looking to and don't want to break out no damn ruler every time somebody brings a racquet in.

Power Player
03-25-2012, 07:00 PM
You have to adjust the tension weight anyway..the ruler takes an extra 5 seconds.

mad dog1
03-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Do you string alot for others? I'm looking to and don't want to break out no damn ruler every time somebody brings a racquet in.

get a gamma table top crank model and add the wise. done.

mad dog1
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
going out on a limb now...i predict kabrac's next thread topic will be:

can i take a prince neos 1000 and retrofit it w/ gamma 6004 switch action swivel clamps?

this way kabrac gets 2 point mounting, the choice of using glide bar clamps, fixed swivel clamps, or double, triple or SINGLE floating clamps, as well as the option of adding a wise. and get this! the challenge of retrofitting swivel action clamps on a neos 1000 is well into the realm of pushing the boundaries of impossibilities which kabrac seems to enjoy so much. :twisted: :razz:

c'mon. looking for more innovative recommendations!

Overheadsmash
03-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I have an ML120 and no way would I change a thing. The tensioning system is simple, accurate, very easy to use, and essentially maintenance free.

kabrac
03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
going out on a limb now...i predict kabrac's next thread topic will be:

can i take a prince neos 1000 and retrofit it w/ gamma 6004 switch action swivel clamps?

this way kabrac gets 2 point mounting, the choice of using fixed clamps, swivel clamps, or double, triple or SINGLE floating clamps, as well as the option of adding a wise. and get this! the challenge of retrofitting swivel action clamps on a neos 1000 is well into the realm of pushing the boundaries of impossibilities which kabrac seems to enjoy so much. :twisted: :razz:

c'mon. looking for more innovative recommendations!

Hey mad dog tannan, pipe down! I just want to learn as much as possible on this thread. If I ask something you think is stupid, remember I am new at this. Abviously we've all looked at things and said to ourselves, " why did they make that like that?" Companies through the years have improved their products through customer feedback. You have got to remember I'm new at this and just want to learn and ask. That is why these threads are here, to ask. We've all asked dumb questions before. I don't know why you think you're any differnet from others.

mad dog1
03-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey mad dog tannan, pipe down! I just want to learn as much as possible on this thread. If I ask something you think is stupid, remember I am new at this. Abviously we've all looked at things and said to ourselves, " why did they make that like that?" Companies through the years have improved their products through customer feedback. You have got to remember I'm new at this and just want to learn and ask. That is why these threads are here, to ask. We've all asked dumb questions before. I don't know why you think you're any differnet from others.

:lol: i was just helping you brainstorm new ideas to improve products.

when i started out, i read through the existing threads and asked questions, too. but never came in w/ the arrogant "i like what i like attitude." i imagine that tends to rub people the wrong way.

Clintspin
03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
I have used both the Stringway drop weight and the Wise. The Stringway has some drawbacks like the way the string is bent downward to reach the tension and the fact it can be hard to reach the tension before bottoming out with certain strings like say, Alpha Gut 2000. The Wise pulls the string straight and does not have a problem with strings like Alpha Gut 2000. The Wise also has different speed settings, can be transfer to many machines, the ability to switch between constant pull and lockout and other stuff.

I liked my Stringway machines (had two of them). They are well build and do a nice job. I enjoy my Wise very much. I think a Wise on a Stringway would be very nice to use. Obviously Stringway thinks the EM 450L and EM 450N are good ideas.

Power Player
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Wow the op is new to stringing and already is thinking about all this stuff?

Total face palm mode Now..just buy a klippermate or the gamma mad dog mentioned and spend a year stringing. Cmon man.

oldcity
03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Hmm. Maybe I can put your stringway tensioner on my alpha dropweight :D

scotus
03-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Yes. Plus I hear you have to use their ruler to set tension, it is not on the bar, and their bar is really long. You would think if you pay $1300 for a dropweight with a stand, they could put the markings on the tension rod.

This is one of the several reasons I returned the Stringway dropweight and bought their foot-operated one instead.