PDA

View Full Version : Tension Loss From New Grommets

retlod
03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Searched but didn't find anything in thread titles.

I have always heard that a new racquet's first string job (or the first one after the grommets are replaced) will have an exaggerated tension loss due to the grommets "setting in." What are people's estimated (or measured) values for just how much tension is lost to virgin grommets? Do people compensate for this and string the first job tighter? Or string a dummy string, let it sit for a week, then cut it out and put in the real stuff? Or am I just being too compulsive? :)

jim e
03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Searched but didn't find anything in thread titles.

I have always heard that a new racquet's first string job (or the first one after the grommets are replaced) will have an exaggerated tension loss due to the grommets "setting in." What are people's estimated (or measured) values for just how much tension is lost to virgin grommets? Do people compensate for this and string the first job tighter? Or string a dummy string, let it sit for a week, then cut it out and put in the real stuff? Or am I just being too compulsive? :)

I typically increase the tension 2 lbs to compensate the settling in of the new grommets. It was on another site a while back that most tour stringers follow the 2 lb. rule. Some pros like Sampress would have his strung with a cheap string first and then have it cut out and strung with his string.To be honest 2 lbs. should be just about the proper amount, and 2 lbs even without new grommets most players would not even know the difference.If it bothers you that much and play with it in your mind, then just string it with a cheap string as that will settle in the grommets, cut it out and then restring. I feel that that practice is a waste of time to string it and cut it out, but to each their own on preferences like that.

GlenK
03-26-2012, 03:04 AM
When I order a new racquet I have it strung with whatever strings they provide for free at a few pounds tighter than I usually use. Then when I receive the racquet I just cut it out and install my own set up..

Steve Huff
03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I use the 2# estimate also. I think I read that in a RacquetTech issue some time ago.

ATP100
03-29-2012, 10:46 PM
I typically increase the tension 2 lbs to compensate the settling in of the new grommets. It was on another site a while back that most tour stringers follow the 2 lb. rule. Some pros like Sampress would have his strung with a cheap string first and then have it cut out and strung with his string.To be honest 2 lbs. should be just about the proper amount, and 2 lbs even without new grommets most players would not even know the difference.If it bothers you that much and play with it in your mind, then just string it with a cheap string as that will settle in the grommets, cut it out and then restring. I feel that that practice is a waste of time to string it and cut it out, but to each their own on preferences like that.

This is my vote.

topspin18
04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I am glad that i read this because i am going to be putting in new grommets on my rackets and i would have not raised my tension by two pounds but now i will do this.

thanks